• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

It Happened To Us: IHTM Incidents With Multiple Witnesses

Thanks for that very interesting, if you ever get time it'd be nice to hear about the second one on one of the cryptozoology threads.

Can't say they helped my grades in either class any, though
Markers are a cruel breed.

One brief incident that happened to me about 9 or 10 years ago involved my sister and myself. It was night time, and we were in two different rooms on opposite sides of a hallway that leads into my parents' bedroom. She was standing in the bathroom fixing her hair (with the hallway to her right) and I was sitting in the office reading (with the hall to my left). We each heard -- and saw out of the corner of our eyes -- a figure walk swiftly past us into the open bedroom. I first assumed it was one of my parents, but it registered that neither of them quite look or sound that way when they walk. So, I walked into the darkened bedroom (just a few feet from where I had been sitting) and turned on the light switch. As I half-expected by this point there was no one in the room. Whoever it was that walked into it had apparently vanished after entering.

My sister acknowledged that she had seen it before I even mentioned it. Although I remember the figure as shorter and stockier than anyone living in my household at the time, her impression is that it was taller. There was nothing otherworldly or dream-like about the atmosphere. It was a night like any other but with the addition of an unexpected guest who apparently was just "passing through."

An ex-boyfriend told me that in the 70s him and his sister both saw a formation of triangular shaped UFOs flying over head. He claims that no one else seemed to have noticed them and they made no sound.

titch said:
Nine down it tis.
To link direct to a post, right-click the little document thingie to the left of 'Posted' and select 'Copy Shortcut' - then you can paste that in your own post.

Great stories!

Titch - my first thought on reading about the 'orb' was ball-lightning, but I'm no expert on stuff like that. Is that possible, do you think?

Isn't it amazing how many of us have these shared experiences? How do we explain them in 'rational' terms? OK, some might be shared misperception of everyday objects, but when two or more apparently sane people see and hear a floating 'orb', or a non-existent person walk down a corridor, or a large white object appear in front of a bus and impact with it, I don't see how we can just dismiss it as misidentificatition or the like!

Any more shared experiences or multiple witnessed events? I'm making a little informal collection of them at present, so do keep telling if there are any more to tell!

:) :yeay:

AngelAlice not sure if I have posted this before but when my youngest was just a toddler we were outside on New year's Eve. My oldest was writing words with sparklers when suddenly the moon went dark. We looked up and there was this strange green cloud over it and I felt nervous for some reason and told her not to light any more. We watched it for awhile but here was no trail under it as there would be if it was a searchlight.
As we watched after about 5 minutes it shot off to the northeast and we couldn't think what it might have been.
A couple of months later there was a report in the newspaper that a Russian airliner had been followed by a ufo that was like a green cloud. We had always thought that ufo's were shaped like saucers.

:?: Hi AngelAlice - Just wondering if you could provide more detail about the stye of clothing worn by the leg (or legs), could you tell if they were those of a male or female? For what ever reason I :?: have conjured up an image in my head that they were Elizabethan, tights and buckles sort of thing. :?:

tomxxy2000 said:
:?: Hi AngelAlice - Just wondering if you could provide more detail about the stye of clothing worn by the leg (or legs), could you tell if they were those of a male or female? For what ever reason I :?: have conjured up an image in my head that they were Elizabethan, tights and buckles sort of thing. :?:

Sorry - just saw this.

Hmmm...style of clothing is tricky as it was very brief and quite murky. I seem to think of some kind of dark, neutral trouser, but the other witness remembers there just being a kind of dark leg-shape. I think we both saw a recognisable leg is all we can say, and anything else might just be our minds adding plausible detail after the event.

Opsss must have missed this "Titch - my first thought on reading about the 'orb' was ball-lightning, but I'm no expert on stuff like that. Is that possible, do you think? "

I do not know much about ball lightening,but the night was a perfect summers night,and the "orb" seemed to be intelligent,so i have no idea at all what it could have been.

Group experience

Had a lot of weird stuff happen in my life, but reading this thread I'm reminded of a happening when I was in my late teens, around the late '70s.

The location was a friend's house in the early evening; it was dark so it must have been around the winter months.

My then girlfriend, myself, my friends Rich and Jon and the girl who's mother's house it was (don't remember her name now) were present.

We were all lazing around in the living room listening to music; Rich was in the kitchen making tea. My girlfriend and I were sitting on the floor, she in my arms.

Rich suddenly comes into the room with a bemused look on his face. He said that he heard a knock on the back door and when he opened it the family cat was sitting on the door-step.

Strange, but not the weirdest part.

As he said this, I felt my face... I can only describe it as 'melt'. It was almost like my face temporarily became disfigured and it seemed as though I was looking through a dark veil.

My girlfriend who's looking at me suddenly screams and backs away from me in terror. She was almost hysterical and wouldn't come anywhere near me for sometime afterwards (understandably some would say!).

The effect only lasted for a second or so and only my girlfriend and I were aware of it - no-one else in the room said that they noticed any change in me, although I'm not sure they would have been looking at me for the short moment in time that the 'change' occurred.

Suffice to say my relationship with that particular girl didn't last long. We were in the same social group at the time but she would never discuss it again with me or anyone else, as far as I'm aware.

That night has always puzzled the beejayzus out of me, just none of it seems to make any kind of sense. Although added to the long line of weird stuff that's happened in my life, it makes about as much sense as the rest of it!

Somebody else posted something like this on another thread - in that person's 'happening', it felt as though some dark entity had taken them over and was looking out of their eyes. Other people in the room also noticed a weird change. The whole effect lasted for a fleeting moment.

Mythopoeika said:
Somebody else posted something like this on another thread - in that person's 'happening', it felt as though some dark entity had taken them over and was looking out of their eyes. Other people in the room also noticed a weird change. The whole effect lasted for a fleeting moment.

I don't know as I'd go as far as to say that something looked out of my eyes or took over me; the closest word to the experience for me would be a kind of 'superimposition' of someone - or something - over/through me.

I was reviewing the Stocksbridge by-pass events recently and it struck me that there were a striking number of events involving multiple witnesses - in fact multiple witness encounters seem to form the majority of the better documented experiences*. I'm no expert, but this strikes me as pretty remarkable, if not unique.

*I can think of four, off the top of my head: the experience of the two security guards - which appears to have kicked the main episode off; the experience of the two policemen - which was a direct result of that earlier encounter; the running monk witnessed by car-driver and passenger; the encounter of the two runners (father and son) with the faceless entity.

Re: Group experience

Synchronous said:
... It was almost like my face temporarily became disfigured and it seemed as though I was looking through a dark veil ... The effect only lasted for a second or so and only my girlfriend and I were aware of it - no-one else in the room said that they noticed any change in me, although I'm not sure they would have been looking at me for the short moment in time that the 'change' occurred.
there is a great thread somewhere aboard with some similar accounts and one possible explanation which kept recurring was petit mal seizures ... not to dismiss your account but just in case you have thought about mentioning it to your doc ...

Re: Group experience

HenryFort said:
Synchronous said:
... It was almost like my face temporarily became disfigured and it seemed as though I was looking through a dark veil ... The effect only lasted for a second or so and only my girlfriend and I were aware of it - no-one else in the room said that they noticed any change in me, although I'm not sure they would have been looking at me for the short moment in time that the 'change' occurred.
there is a great thread somewhere aboard with some similar accounts and one possible explanation which kept recurring was petit mal seizures ... not to dismiss your account but just in case you have thought about mentioning it to your doc ...

Interestingly I used to have passing out episodes sporadically. I was extensively medically tested some years ago but the doctors could find no explanation for them. They stopped a few years ago - interesting link there Henry, thank you.

Erm... oops.

Just realised that the previous experience you related to Henry was mine. I was Horik but lost the password to that account when my old PC died a few years back - totally forgot that I'd previously posted the event :oops:

Back in the 1990's a freind and I were talking in the kitchen of my parents house over a cup of coffee. The kitchen was adjacent to the dining room with an open doorway, patio doors to the right and the lounge to the left.

We both clearly saw my mum walk past the door and towards where the patio doors were, only moments later to hear my mum come downstairs and into the lounge and into the kitchen to say hello!

We were like "did you see that?" "yeah!" - and we still talk about it to this day. Spooky!

How many of us have had Fortean experiences that were also witnessed by one or more other people?

I've had two or three such things happen to me, starting with the weird thing I and a friend of mine saw in the cathedral some years ago (it's way down in the depths of IHTM somewhere). If I'd been the only one to see and hear it I would have instantly dismissed it as a trick of the light, but the fact my friend Madge also witnessed it means I can't easily do that. And that's what makes a shared experience different isn't it? Two people hallucinating the same thing from different perspectives is massively improbable. I'm not even sure what the mechanism for such a thing could be even in theory. I'm stuck with a puzzle I just can't solve. And that's why I turned up here in the first place.

Since then I've had two more such weird little moments, and I'll tell the most interesting one here.

Few years after the cathedral thing. I was sitting watching TV, and my sister's youngest son was draping across the am of my chair. He was about twelve at the time, just big enough for his sprawling to be a nuisance. The room was fairly dark, just the light from the TV and a dim table lamp in the corner.

Anyhow, as I was watching TV I seemed to see a movement just to the left f of the television , and my eyes turned to look just in time to see a momentary image of what looked like the lower part of a person doing some odd sort of dance.

Imagine the glare of the TV sort of obscuring everything but the lower right quarter of a person, so you can just see the bottom part of the right leg, and maybe just a hint of the left leg in the shadows. And the right leg you can most clearly see is sort of jerking or kicking.

Well, that is what I briefly seemed to see as I looked over. It was VERY brief, no more than a second or two, and, as with the previous experience, I was almost immediately dismissing it as a weird little eye/brain moment, when I happened to look at my nephew sprawling on the am of my chair. He was sitting bolt upright and looking at the same part of the room I'd seen the legs in, with a slightly startled disbelieving look on his face.

I asked him if he'd seen anything. He said yes he thought he'd just seen some weird dancing legs.

After that we compared notes - and what we'd both seen seemed to be as near as dammit identical. Same colors (muted olive-browns), same restricted view (just the lower right side of the 'person's' body).

It seems ridiculous - just a momentary glimpse of some guy with twitchy legs. But yet we both saw it. Whatever it was.

How common are these shared experiences? How do we explain them?

Post is from 2011 so don't know if AngelAlice is still posting but, were the feet at floor level? Your description sounds like someone in the throes of dying from hanging. Was there something there, a door or something, that could have been used by someone to hang theirselves from?

A couple of mine (oft posted) have been with another person.

Levitating box in friend's hallway - happened one afternoon, 1970s. Friend and I both clearly saw it.

The see-through cat crossing the road in front of us. Husband and me. I made him fully describe what he saw with no interruption or corroboration or anything, and he saw what I saw. With one small minor difference (I just saw cat - he saw a 'background' of vegetation that isn't there, as well).

Full apparition in house where I grew up - stepsister and I both saw the same thing, never told eachother at the time - she described in detail 15 years later seeing the same thing I had, at some point in what was only one week ever we shared a room. She thought I was asleep when she saw it. I thought she was asleep when I saw it so not sure it was the same night but it was that week.

And not me but the same 'ghost' - years later, two visitors, on different floors of the house, woken up in the middle of the night by a sweary, abusive man hammering on a by then non existant door. (And the house had been pebble-dashed for decades but it was only after this, the pebble dashing stripped off and we realised the original front door was elsewhere, and in fact around where the guests had heard the man at the door). At breakfast next day they mentioned it and everyone else in the house had slept through it. One of the witnesses an older, middle aged woman who' I think, had other supernatural experiences in other places. The other a youngish man - very well educated and 'scientific' kind of person, who had no similar experiences.

A couple of mine (oft posted) have been with another person.

Levitating box in friend's hallway - happened one afternoon, 1970s. Friend and I both clearly saw it.

The see-through cat crossing the road in front of us. Husband and me. I made him fully describe what he saw with no interruption or corroboration or anything, and he saw what I saw. With one small minor difference (I just saw cat - he saw a 'background' of vegetation that isn't there, as well).

Full apparition in house where I grew up - stepsister and I both saw the same thing, never told eachother at the time - she described in detail 15 years later seeing the same thing I had, at some point in what was only one week ever we shared a room. She thought I was asleep when she saw it. I thought she was asleep when I saw it so not sure it was the same night but it was that week.

And not me but the same 'ghost' - years later, two visitors, on different floors of the house, woken up in the middle of the night by a sweary, abusive man hammering on a by then non existant door. (And the house had been pebble-dashed for decades but it was only after this, the pebble dashing stripped off and we realised the original front door was elsewhere, and in fact around where the guests had heard the man at the door). At breakfast next day they mentioned it and everyone else in the house had slept through it. One of the witnesses an older, middle aged woman who' I think, had other supernatural experiences in other places. The other a youngish man - very well educated and 'scientific' kind of person, who had no similar experiences.

Old man in a rocking chair made up of dots of light?

The roadside ghost I witnessed with a friend back in 1975 is recorded on Sean Tudor's (Hermes') website.

I have had the experience of friends telling me of weird events in their own lives, only to look baffled years later, when reminded of them.

It would have been interesting to know if my old friend had retained as vivid a memory of that dark, Welsh night as I have done for many years. Probably not. Some of us obsess about anomalies and others quickly put them out of their minds, as useless information.

For some time, I wondered if my fellow-witness would surface on the internet. I gather that, never robust in health, he died back in 1989. RIP. :(

The link to my own shared experience, mentioned in an earlier post, seems to be broken.

The story is towards the middle of this page on the Eerie East London thread. ...

That's a cracking story! Thanks for posting the link. I was about to go searching for it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Years since I read that on DS - Creepiest thread but it stuck with me because it was such a chilling image. Wasn't he floating above floor level?
Yes, about three foot IIRC. Dad told me the next day that he'd rebuilt the back of the house before I was born, and that room's floor level had changed by about the amount and in the direction, I'd described. I think that might be why he believed me. He knew I had no way of knowing that. It was actually the least spooky bedroom in the house precisely because it was 'modern' with a big, 1950s' picture window - the rest of the house was 18thC and 19thC. But as a kid, I don't think I understood that kind of thing. It just seemed like the 'nicest' bedroom and I had been quite excited that I was going to get to sleep in there.

I saw my stepsister recently - not seen eachother for years. And I couldn't bring myself to talk about this, but I did tell her I'd walked past the house recently and she said something like "Oh yes, the House of Horrors!"

ETA What you said about the image itself being chilling - resonates. Because I nearly crapped myself in the later 70s I think it was, when I first saw Stephen King's 'Salem's Lot' - the kid floating in the air outside the window - because that was the ghosty type image from the media, that most reminded me of what we saw. So much so it really unnerved me at the time. Although the man we saw was seated - we couldn't see the chair. So he appeared to be floating about a yard or so in the air, but seated... And I remember thinking he was made up of like pin pricks of light and in the days before we had a concept of pixellated, he reminded me most of an image from a comic, because he appeared made up of dots.

Last edited:
The roadside ghost I witnessed with a friend back in 1975 is recorded on Sean Tudor's (Hermes') website.

I have had the experience of friends telling me of weird events in their own lives, only to look baffled years later, when reminded of them.

It would have been interesting to know if my old friend had retained as vivid a memory of that dark, Welsh night as I have done for many years. Probably not. Some of us obsess about anomalies and others quickly put them out of their minds, as useless information.

For some time, I wondered if my fellow-witness would surface on the internet. I gather that, never robust in health, he died back in 1989. RIP. :(

About 10 years ago I recorded the experiences of a nephew and his friends shortly after a very robust shadow man encounter with 5 witnesses. Shadow man(?) in daylight, pronged encounter. The kids were out on dirt bikes and not looking for anything other than good places to ride/jump their bikes. They were shaken by their experience.

A few years later (mosty) blank faces all round on playback.
Dictaphone eat the tape last year, not that anyone would take it as evidence of anything anyway.

Back