• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weird Weather

This is annoying. I've lived in the U.S. my whole life and I don't think I have ever seen a storm like this :x

More Thundersnow last night!

I've only seen one bad storm here in the UK. It was in 1992 or 1993(I remember as my best friend was on holiday in the US and she missed it).
I was over the fields with a group of friends and we were sat on a huge slide. We felt the change in the air and on the horizon we could see this huge cloud with constant flashes coming from it. As it drew nearer we started to hear the continuous rumble of thunder. The clouds were the weirdest shade of dark forest green(never seen anything like it since), and it was just 'flash flash flash' of forks coming down. The wind picked up into this kind of tropical storm and some of the younger trees were bending over with the force. I remember we all got scared of being hit as it got overhead, and I also remember running home(to a dark house-powercut) with my fingers in my ears!

I have one other wierd "lightning" flash story (and weirdly enough it also combines a "triangle" craft---believe me you can't make this stuff up--)

Anyway, my partner in crime for the last twenty years has had to listen to my triangle UFO story ad infinitum (just like you guys have,) and he's at the point of kinda looking skywards whenever we go out to see what's up.

So one night we are driving about a block from our house and he says "There's a triangle." And since we are on the flight path of an airport about 10 miles away, and because he's never quite fully understood the actual wierdness of what I saw ---no one can until you see one--- I sorta ignored what he was saying, because a quick check out of my car window proved that there was no football field sized craft gliding above us. So then I said, "Where?"

And he pointed over at about 2:00, and damn if there wasn't a solid triangular shaped craft, with three white lights on each apex. But it behaved more like jet would, pretty fast and the size was about a quarter at arm's length. So I'm thinking, "Yeah, but strange that it's not got FAA wings lights and that it IS solid black..."

Then it veered off at a 135 degree angle (about that angle, I'm not very sure,) and flew up under some dense cloud cover. Since we live near a city, low cloud ceilings are illuminated a sort of grayish color. And...as it dissappeared into the clouds, a flash of "lightning" --no booms followed-- appeared.

Weird, but no cigar.

This is my first time posting so please, bear with me if I make any mistakes.

Summer 1992, I was at a hot air balloon festival with some family and friends but when the winds became too high for them to launch the balloons, we left. It started to pour and we were soaked by the time we got to the car and then it REALLY started to storm! Thunder, lightning, the whole works. I was pretty spooked, believe you me. I'm okay with storms as long as I'm safe inside a building. Being in a car isn't secure enough for me. Anyway, we were about 2 hours from home when we passed through some little town whose name I don't remember and not 10 minutes later, we heard on the radio that a tornado had just passed through that little town and was basically "following" us on the same highway we were on! :shock: That freaked me out even more but it never caught up with us, dissipating shortly after we heard about it. The freakiest thing, though, was shortly after that, we saw lightning go SIDEWAYS across the sky! :shock: Now, I'd seen lots of lightning in my (Then) 20-odd years of living but I had NEVER seen it go sideways! It wasn't at an angle, it was straight across the sky! Has anyone else ever seen lightning do that?

I've never seen it, but I would like to! I googled it, found these:

http://www.sky-chaser.com/schlight.htm

http://www.stormstock.com/lightning_footage.html

Rainy, I think they're just describing one of our regular thunderstorms, apparently they're pretty mild over there? The coolest storms I've ever seen was while driving out to Oregon, across the plains states. You can watch storms across the miles, and track where they are going.

Sometimes on TV or in films you get a crack of thunder, and then next minute the rain comes pelting down. I used to give a superior sort of smile, thinking "It doesn't happen like that!"

But last week, right here, it happened just like that - lightning and thunder followed immediately by a torrential downpour!

So now I just think "It doesn't usually happen like that!" :oops:

lightning

Thanks for the links, Gemaki, but I couldn't bring them up. Oh, well.

The Bruce said:
By the way stormkhan, where abouts in north london are u? I miss tottenham and wood green at times. Is it snow covered like it was last year?
Sorry for the late reply - I work near Staples Corner, home of traffic congestion, concrete, flyovers, litter, noise, dust etc. etc.

I love it when there's a heavy downpour but no wind - twice I've been able to see a clear boundary of the rain! A cat-sitter, staying in our flat, became confused when out of one window he could see pouring rain and out of another (in the same wall) dry sunshine!

My Dad told me about something like that happened when he was a boy. It was raining on one side of the street and sunny on the other side.

Once when I was younger, it was raining in our next door neighbor's back yard, but not in ours. It was quite amusing.

I guess the rain has to stop and start somewhere.

Re: lightning

tygerkat said:

I had image markers around it instead of URL, try it now... and you can always copy-and-paste the addy into your browser. ;)

From Gemaki's link:

"Ball lightning" is a very bizarre form of lightning. These appear as luminous spheres of plasma anywhere from the size of walnuts to hot air balloons. There are probably many causes for it, from sparking powerlines after a lightning hit to fires created after a strike. Ball lightning has been re-produced in the laboratory using Tesla coils and other ultra-high voltage sources.

Gee, I didn't realize ball lightning could be as big as a "hot air balloon."

I guess, then, some UFO sightings actually could be ball lightning. (I always thought of it basketball sized.)

Re: lightning

Gemaki said:
tygerkat said:

I had image markers around it instead of URL, try it now... and you can always copy-and-paste the addy into your browser. ;)

Woah! Those were cool! The one I saw, tho', was just one "finger" of lightning across the greenish-yellow sky. Too bad I didn't have a camera.

Article Published: Friday, April 08, 2005 - 8:28:25 PM PST

Strange wind gust hits home

By Jannise Johnson , Staff Writer

Ronald Webb said he thought the world was ending for a few seconds Friday afternoon.

It wasn't.

But the weather phenomenon that caused the racket above the home he shares with his wife on East Alvarado Street caused some damage.

Webb's family was working inside the garage at 1:30 p.m. when a "mini tornado' struck an outdoor shelter, he said.

"It sounded like a combination of a train, a sonic boom and a clap of thunder,' Webb said. "It was just crazy. It shook the whole house.'

Webb said the winds hoisted his cabana shelter made of thick wood planks and steel coverings from one corner of his back yard over his home before letting it crash to the street. The shelter was covering a boat, he said.

The shelter was torn to pieces, some of which ended up across the street in a neighbor's front yard. The majority of the debris ended up on Webb's lawn.

No one was injured. But one of Webb's vehicles was damaged and the incident left a few holes in his roof, he said.

Firefighters arrived, but did not stay long, said John Mancha, inspector with the Los Angeles County Fire Department.

While Webb said the F ire D epartment referred to the event as a "mini tornado, ' a spokesman for the National Weather Service disputed that.

"If there are no clouds in the sky, it really can't be classified as a tornado,' said Philip Gonsalves, forecaster for the National Weather Service. There were some gusty winds throughout the area Friday, which may have caused some funnel-type activity, he said. But Gonsalves said he could only speculate what caused the damage.

Webb retained his sense of humor about the situation.

"It's so much fun,' Webb said, looking out over the debris on his front lawn. "I wondered what I was going to do this weekend. Now I know.'

Source

Cloud Over Susquehanna

Friday April 08, 2005 4:44pm Posted By: Terry Walters

Andy Francis of Hershey snapped some photos of a sunset from Dixon University on Second Street and captured the image of a thin funnel-like cloud rising above (or descending into) a cloud bank over the Susquehanna River.

A very cooperative bird arranged to be in perfect position to help point out this phenomenon.

The photo was taken on March 30, 2005.

Click on the link below to see this for yourself.

http://www.abc27.com/external.hrb?p=photo

----------------------
Copyright 2005 Harrisburg Television, Inc.

Source

One of the strangest displays I have seen was a couple of years ago when a county not too far over from mine was hit by 3 or 4 tornados all in one night.
Even though the storm was miles away at the time , the sky over my house was sort of glowing green and pinkish,a hue I have never seen except in pics of the aurora.
Lightning was literally spiderwebbing across the sky ,coming from the storms direction and heading north east.
It would start as a distant flash and then a "finger" of lightning would emerge going sideways across the sky, and split into 2 or 3 and then those split into more ,looking much like a spiders web for an instant.
There was a constant glow from the area of tornados and I watched it in awe as it slowly moved along.
Finally it began moving in my direction and it started to hail rather intensely ,so I got back in the house and waited ,hoping it would not settle over us and keep moving away,finally it was past and we were spared any real damage,but there were golfball sized hail stones all over the ground for a while. Our carport took quite a beating though and we could hear the stones impacting it quite loudly.
It was truly a spectacle to witness.

We get some nasty storms here in Central Kentucky, though not as bad as they get in Tornado Alley.

A British aquaintance once remarked that he used to wonder why Americans seemed to talk about the weather a lot. He now realizes that it's because it can kill you over here. :shock:

I get the impression European weather tends to be sedate most of the time.

In 48 years of living in either Ohio or Kentucky I've experienced a half dozen tornados (no direct hits, thank goodness), four or five snowfalls of over two feet, three winters with temps under minus 20, about the same number of summers with temps over 100 (not the whole season in either case just a few days), more electrical and or hailstorms than I could possibly count, and two ice storms bad enough to kill trees and knock out power in parts of the city for a week or more.

Gosh, sounds almost like I'm bragging. :roll:

Dib

Dib said:
Gosh, sounds almost like I'm bragging. :roll:

Dib

Nah, it sounds like you're describing northeast Kansas. :eek!!!!: But you forgot to include the drought of of '88 followed five years later by historic floods. :D

It does sound pretty similar though, Dib. Here it's maybe less snowy and then hotter in the summer. But, yeah...weather that tends towards the extremes, it sure makes for a dynamic enviornment, doesn't it? :)

Forgot about the drought of '88 and the floods of '93. :oops: A lot of our state capital ended up under water (I believe it was that year).

I remember one summer, visiting my uncle who lived in Iowa. Seems like we spent every night in the basement listening to the tornado sirens. Felt like a Londoner during the Blitz. Don't know if I could stand that year after year.

Dib

It's supposed to hit 29C in Tronno today. :shock:

As a child living in Lincolnshire on the east coast I used to witness some unholy thunder and lightening storms which scared the kife out of me. Given that the land is completely flat, I would be the tallest thing for miles which might not be good with forked lightening.

That was in the 70s when it seemed to be either boiling hot of freezing cold and nothing in between. Thanks to global warming it just seems warm all the time now although many of my fellow Britishers might disagree. :)

Just a quick response to the couple of people who've not gotten to see a real storm...

Here in the Midwest, (Wisconsin, to be precise) we have a sky color known regionally as <ahem> "Tornado Green". I'll admit to having seen some real black clouds building on the horizon in the middle of the day; or watching streetlights come on at noon because the cloud cover is so dark. Still, there is nothing like feeling the wind pick up from the Southeast, looking up, and seeing an absolutely unnatural color in the sky bearing down on your location with all the speed due a locomotive. Especially neat if you're in the middle of some country back roads on foot with no shelter nearby. :D

Number 3's a bit hardcore!

Probably a matter of perspective but it looks as though the lightening is powering that ferry! 8)

:D Heeey!"Tornado Green"!
I've seen that!Yes I have!It was over Calgary.
A huuuuuge thunderstorm slamming bolts down at about one every four seconds.
I think I've also seen a horizontal tornado(cloud to cloud)whilst out on the prairie.Shortly after the mosquito storm.

About two-three months ago, in the town where I live, there was a shower of rain when the skies were clear with not a cloud in sight.

Pouring with rain here, and flood warnings are out for all west country rivers.

My local pub developed a leak - odd, as the bar has two floors above it!

By coincidence, I discovered this pic on the web today - it shows the steps outside one of my earlier locals, in Falmouth.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cornwall/content/i ... y.shtml?44

I couldn't find any better thread for this - so here:

Now that the leaves are falling in masses (at least here) I again notice the "static" heaps of leaves - up to 30 cm high - that form in odd places. Usually they form near corners where there is some kind of rotating air column (?).

Today I saw several of them, one perfectly round, and one quite long in an "s" shape. These heaps can last for days.

Has anyone noticed these too? And maybe you have more spectacular "autumn leaf" obeservations?

BTW: The process by which the leaves move has been studied deeply for sand movement - it's called "saltation". http://www.nps.gov/grsa/resources/saltation.htm

Does anyone knows of any research in autumn leaf dynamics and distribution (this is so useless that someone MUST have done it)?

uair01 said:
Does anyone knows of any research in autumn leaf dynamics and distribution (this is so useless that someone MUST have done it)?

I remeber on several occasions at primary school watching rotating "leaf devils" blowing around in the school yard.

Back