• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weird Weather

I saw and unusual sky in Ealing tonight at just after nine o’clock. I’ve taken two photos but only on an iPhone so not great quality. Hopefully you can see the hazy yellow area in the sky. It was about a hands length across as I held my arm straight out in front of me,the rest of the sky was dark.View attachment 34348View attachment 34349It’s not something I’ve seen before but hopefully one of you may not what it is.

The three white lights that shine through the yellow haze don't want to stay in the same place...Do they. And there's a fourth that has disappeared altogether.

Did you move very much from where you took the first photo S.? It looks like only two car spaces to me - which really shouldn't account for the change in position of the lights.

The three white lights that shine through the yellow haze don't want to stay in the same place...Do they. And there's a fourth that has disappeared altogether. ...

The two sets of small light-specks appear to be vertically-inverted versions of the visible streetlights. My guess is that they represent a reflection captured by or originating within the camera's optics.

I'm assuming it was cloudy at the time? It looks to me like lights reflected off a low cloud base. Is there a strong source of illumination in that direction - such as floodlights from a sports ground or an industrial site?

The three white lights that shine through the yellow haze don't want to stay in the same place...Do they. And there's a fourth that has disappeared altogether.

Did you move very much from where you took the first photo S.? It looks like only two car spaces to me - which really shouldn't account for the change in position of the lights.
I moved about 10 metres down the road for the second photo.

The two sets of small light-specks appear to be vertically-inverted versions of the visible streetlights. My guess is that they represent a reflection captured by or originating within the camera's optics.
Yes, they are the exact same pattern as the street lights if you flip them.

I'm assuming it was cloudy at the time? It looks to me like lights reflected off a low cloud base. Is there a strong source of illumination in that direction - such as floodlights from a sports ground or an industrial site?
It was cloudy. I’ve done some research online and some people saw this in Ealing in December. Some have suggested the lights coming from Twickenham Stadium.That would be about 30 degrees to the right of the photo or maybe some sort of atmospheric conditions made the light appear in the wrong place.

From t'Guardian: London copped flash floods yesterday.

London floods: ‘We had water gushing at us from all angles’

It was the speed of the flooding that really scared Joseph Wilkins. The manager of Trailer Happiness, a basement bar in Portobello Road in Notting Hill, watched in disbelief on Monday evening as the flood water rose from 2 inches to 1.5 feet in just five minutes.

Ten minutes later, the water was waist-deep. “It was like something out of the Titanic,” said Wilkins. “We had water gushing at us from all angles: from the manhole in our floor to the ceiling, which is at ground level, and everywhere in between.”

Nearly three inches of rain hit the capital in 90 minutes on Monday night. Flood water poured through the streets. In Raynes Park, south London, cars were abandoned in 2ft of water.

Queen guitarist Brian May lost most of his memorabilia in that, his house has been flooded with sewage.

At least 42 people have died in floods in Germany with 6 more dead over the border in Belgium, authorities in Liège telling people to evacuate the city.

"At least 42 people have died in western Germany and many more are missing following severe floods, police say.

The worst of the flooding has been in the states of Rhineland-Palatinate and North Rhine-Westphalia, where buildings and cars have been washed away.

At least six others have died in neighbouring Belgium, and the city of Liège has urged all residents to leave.

It follows record rainfall in parts of western Europe that has caused major rivers to burst their banks."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-57846200

And now, floods in China.

Twelve people have died after record-breaking rainfall flooded underground railway tunnels in China, leaving passengers trapped in rising waters.

Video shared on social media shows evening commuters just managing to keep their heads above water. Water is seen rushing onto platforms. More than 500 people were eventually rescued from the tunnels in Henan province, officials said.

Days of rain have caused widespread damage and led to 200,000 evacuations. Above ground, roads have been turned into rivers, with cars and debris swept along in fast moving currents. A number of pedestrians have had to be rescued.

More than a dozen cities in Henan province are affected. President Xi Jinping said on Wednesday that there had been "significant loss of life and damage to property".

Several dams and reservoirs have breached warning levels, and soldiers have been mobilised to divert rivers which have burst their banks. Flights and trains in many parts of Henan have also been suspended.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-57861067

Meanwhile, in Brazil ... (Yes - that Brazil ... )

Brazil-Snow-2107.jpeg
Rare Snowfall Blankets Cities Across Brazil

Some parts of the country are seeing snow for the first time in decades, and its threatening crop production

ld snap covered southern Brazil in snowfall and freezing rain, a rare occurrence for the normally balmy country. Frigid air rushing north from the Antarctic region caused the unusual weather pattern that impacted at least 43 cities on on July 28 and 29, reports Dharna Noor for Gizmodo. The last time a blizzard blew through Brazil was in 1957, when a total of 4.3 feet of snow accumulated in the state of Santa Catarina, reports Sudiksha Kochi for USA Today.

Many Brazilians took to social media to share photos of the snow accumulating along the streets of Brazil and trees slicked with thick ice. Many videos and photos showed areas dusted with up to an inch of snow, reports Maura Kelly for AccuWeather. For some, the snowfall is the first time they have ever experienced the winter phenomenon. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/rare-snowfall-blankets-cities-across-brazil-180978339/

The entire city of New Orleans has no electricity from hurricane Ida.

New Orleans sits below sea level and with no power for the city pumps, the city will drown.

Strangely the heavy alcoholic drinking area, the French Quarter, is the highest part of the city.

Eventually 4 to 6 inches of rain will work across Tennessee on Tuesday.

Last edited:
Didn't New Orleans experience this some years back?
I wouldn't want to live there.

Thorngumbald Tornado.

Freak winds described as a "mini tornado" have damaged houses and overturned vehicles on the east coast.

Residents in Humberston, near Cleethorpes, and in Thorngumbald, near Hull, said they were hit by the unusual weather event on Monday morning.

Humberston resident Bob Salt said: "It was really frightening, with "tiles and bins flying all over the place". He said the sound of his neighbour's motorhome flipping over sounded like "a bomb going off".

Mr Salt said he had been in his front room when it happened and he suddenly "heard a sort of whoosh. It all happened so quickly," he said.

"We haven't got a fence or wall left - it's been blown away," he added.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-humber-58706938

A "tornado" knocked a caravan onto its side and ripped a garage apart after sweeping through a sleepy East Riding village without warning.
Hull Daily Mail Link
The weather phenomenon happened at around 10.10am (27th Sept 2021) and seemed to hit just two residential streets in Thorngumbald - Standage Road and St Martins Road.
The mini-storm battered a handful of houses leaving residents counting the cost of the damage - while their next-door neighbours were completely unscathed.

This is just round the corner from me - all we noticed was a lot of rain and a strong wind. The exploding garage and overturned caravan must have been quite something.

Thorn Damage.jpg

World record temperature change; Spearfish South Dakota.

Spearfish holds the world record for the fastest recorded temperature change.
On January 22, 1943, at about 7:30 a.m. MST, the temperature in Spearfish was −4 °F (−20 °C). The Chinook wind picked up speed rapidly, and two minutes later (7:32 a.m.) the temperature was +45 °F (7 °C). The 49 °F (or 27 °C) rise in two minutes set a world record that still holds. By 9:00 a.m., the temperature had risen to 54 °F (12 °C).

Suddenly, the chinook died down and the temperature tumbled back to −4 °F (or−20 °C). The 58 °F (or 32.2 °C) drop took only 27 minutes.

Extreme winter maxima in the district are remarkably warm given the latitude and altitude; on January 19, 1921 Spearfish reached a remarkable 79 °F (26 °C), the hottest January temperature in South Dakota on record.

Back