• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weird Weather

Not sure it’s weird weather but round my way the trees are still quite green. I’m pretty sure that by October usually leaves have started turning brown & falling. Seems late this year.

Not sure it’s weird weather but round my way the trees are still quite green. I’m pretty sure that by October usually leaves have started turning brown & falling. Seems late this year.

Yes, there used to be something called "autumn" in autumn.

Certain locales in northern Italy have experienced record-breaking rainfalls.
34 inches of rain in 24 hours breaks continental record

Parts of northern Italy are recovering from a historic deluge earlier this week that produced a new continent-wide record for rainfall over a 12-hour period and left one city with nearly a year's worth of rainfall in one day.

Rossiglione, Italy, located in the Genoa province, found itself in the absolute worst of Monday's extreme rainfall. The city ended up with a mind-boggling 34.8 inches (883.8 mm) of rainfall over the course of 24 hours.

The annual rainfall total for the nearby city of Genoa itself tops out at just over 42 inches, which is fairly representative for the region at large, according to AccuWeather forecasters. This means that Rossiglione recorded 82.9 percent of the average rainfall that falls over the course of an entire year in the region in just 24 hours.

In order to record rainfall totals that extreme, rainfall rates have to be extraordinary, perhaps even record-breaking.

In 12 hours, from 5:40 a.m. to 5:40 p.m. local time, the city recorded a staggering 29.2 inches (740.6 mm), which broke the record for the European continent ...
FULL STORY: https://www.accuweather.com/en/seve...in-liguria-italy-breaks-europe-record/1028429

"Tornado" strikes Kettering.

The fire service in Northamptonshire said it received more than 130 calls for help as a result of the storm that hit the county on Sunday.

There were reports of a "tornado" in the county as the south and east of England was battered by heavy rain and gusts of up to 80mph (129km/h). Some roads were closed and wind brought down trees and damaged buildings.

Northamptonshire Fire and Rescue said it worked with the police to "maximise response across both services".

Geoff Lewis from Kettering described the supposed tornado, just before 10:00 GMT as "five minutes of mayhem".

"It started raining very heavy and then the wind got up, and within a matter of minutes we had next door's basketball hoop and stand come flying past the cars outside our house," he said. "Several houses have lost tiles off their roofs, our fence was blown down [and] our greenhouse was lifted up and moved across the garden."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-59117929

"Tornado" strikes Kettering.

The fire service in Northamptonshire said it received more than 130 calls for help as a result of the storm that hit the county on Sunday.

There were reports of a "tornado" in the county as the south and east of England was battered by heavy rain and gusts of up to 80mph (129km/h). Some roads were closed and wind brought down trees and damaged buildings.

Northamptonshire Fire and Rescue said it worked with the police to "maximise response across both services".

Geoff Lewis from Kettering described the supposed tornado, just before 10:00 GMT as "five minutes of mayhem".

"It started raining very heavy and then the wind got up, and within a matter of minutes we had next door's basketball hoop and stand come flying past the cars outside our house," he said. "Several houses have lost tiles off their roofs, our fence was blown down [and] our greenhouse was lifted up and moved across the garden."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-59117929
Reading the above terrifies me. We have a mature silver birch and an alder tree just yards from my front door.

They are protected and the authorities refuse to take them down. I'm worried that one day a storm is going to pass through and they will end crashing through the roof of the house.

Hang on hang on, until the Daily Express headline that this will be the 'WORST WINTER SINCE 1947' announcement, I refuse to believe this will be the case.
The only one I'll listen to is the Daily Star. I glance at it as I walk in the shop to see what the weather will definitely be like in 4 months.

Took this at sunset a couple of years back. Couldn't believe my good luck.
Just a phone snap, unretouched, bloody amazing sky.

Nantwich Lake.jpg

Certainly peed down here over the last few days,
this is not the bay but just one of the local fields.
IMG_2514.JPG

This is the map they publish about every 10 years we have been here near 40 showing what is going to be
under water in the next 5 years, I suppose if they keep at it they may get it right eventually.

0_BlackpoolPNG.png

Property prices quite low in Pilling then I guess?

They are building houses by the dozen in Pilling, not a clue on price though.

Chester is generally great and now we find it has a microclimate.
Those Romans knew what was good for them.

Chester weather phenomenon that makes city hotter and drier than Liverpool and Manchester

Experts describe Chester as an 'urban heat island' making it drier and hotter than Liverpool and Manchester

Chester repeatedly sees much less rain than Liverpool and Manchester, and is warmer than the Cheshire countryside due to its unique microclimate.

Chester sits in a 'rain shadow' and also benefits from an 'urban heat island' according to Professor Liz Bentley of the Royal Meteorological Society.

Professor Bentley explained the science behind Chester's unique weather to CheshireLive.

"Microclimates are really interesting," said Professor Bentley. "So basically what you’re looking for are quite significant differences in the climate, the weather of a place compared to somewhere not that far down the road.

"So from a city perspective, you could look at Chester compared to Liverpool, Manchester and Stockport, not too far away. It’s differences in rainfall and also differences in temperature, those are the two key things that we tend to focus on when we’re talking about microclimates.

"But you can have microclimates on a smaller scale, you can have microclimates in your garden; some parts of your garden will be drier and warmer because they get more sun and they’re sheltered from the rain, and others will be much colder and damper. We do experiments with kids where we get them to find little microclimates around their gardens."

That part of the UK has a miniature Continental Climate effect, iirc, due to the width of the island at that point. Nearby Hawarden Airport has often featured in reports of tarmac-melting temperatures.

A similar effect occurs in Dumfriesshire, at the height of summer. I recall some roasting days in Ecclefechan, Lockerbie and Eaglesfield. :loveu:

The dawn sky was interesting yesterday. There were a few fallstreak holes in the pink altocumulus clouds. The sun was still below the horizon and the descending icy crystals caused ray-like shadows on the underside of the clouds. There's quite a nice example of a fallstreak hole on the right-hand side of the photo.

https://www.weather.gov/arx/why_fallstreaks

Attachments

• dawn 20211211 C63A0642.jpg
    dawn 20211211 C63A0642.jpg
    765.5 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Super typhoon Rai hits The Philippines:
News story

120mph winds. 169 dead so far. Images from there are horrendous. I seem to recall they still hadn't recovered from the massive 2013 one, and there have been others since, but this has left the islands like a war zone.

From the news story:

"On average about 20 storms and typhoons strike the Philippines each year.

Super Typhoon Rai is the most powerful to hit the Philippines in 2021, and comes late in the region's typhoon season - with most cyclones developing between July and October.

Scientists have long warned that rising global temperatures, induced by man-made climate change, are causing typhoons to become more powerful and strengthen more rapidly."

And doesn't that street look so much better for not being tarmac?
Yup, highly picturesque! They've put that paving everywhere in pedestrian areas. The whole place was dug up for months.

However, the new disabled parking areas have a more bumpy version that I wouldn't like to push a wheelchair along.

And doesn't that street look so much better for not being tarmac?
That's Foregate Street. I glanced up from that photo at the TV news and saw Eastgate Street which is the other end of that very thoroughfare! :omg:

Eastgate Street.jpeg

Most destructive wildfires in Colorado history:
News story

A thousand homes destroyed. There had been a historic drought, 105 mph winds to fan the flames - and now the fires are being put out by blizzards! Madness.

Just be thankful nobody died, but tens of thousands of people are now homeless.

Most destructive wildfires in Colorado history:
News story

A thousand homes destroyed. There had been a historic drought, 105 mph winds to fan the flames - and now the fires are being put out by blizzards! Madness.

Just be thankful nobody died, but tens of thousands of people are now homeless.
That's a bit too much. Maybe 1000 homes so far - the fire is not expected to get larger. Typically 4-5 people are living in a home. So 1000 families, perhaps. Now, at least two people are missing. One is a 91 yr old lady who probably did not make it out.
It's still terrible:

The Marshall fire burned across 6,000 acres on Thursday, torching as many as 1,000 homes. Tens of thousands were evacuated from Superior and Louisville.

The Florida Panhandle saw rare snow earlier today.
No beach weather: Florida Panhandle get snow dusting

Parts of the Florida Panhandle got a dusting of snow early Monday after temperatures dropped dramatically from the previous day when the thermometer was at typical beach weather.

The Okaloosa County Sheriff’s Office posted video a deputy captured on patrol showing falling snowflakes bathed in the light of a lamppost in a store’s parking lot. Only 12 hours earlier, the temperature had been 75 degree Fahrenheit (23.8 degrees Celsius), the post said. ...
FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/article/florida-weather-d50c4c05cecf1613076ca374ffdf9929

When i was a kid, though I don't know how old, but before I was a teen, we had snow one day in June.

In our area we had summer temperatures before the New Year followed by 3 inches of rain followed by a blast of Arctic Air followed by trying to dig out of 6 inches of snow today.

My area again is going to get slammed with snow and cold.

I hope the power stays on.

We were lucky a few days ago with the power.

Back