Weird Weather

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
Reaction score
I’m sure there must be some audio guys out there recording this for a double album.

Reaction score
31-32 degrees Celsius registered several places in Southern Norway.
We have never had so warm weather in May before.
It was really quite cold here today in North East England. Also, I'm quite worried that the swifts are about two weeks late in their migration. There's a nesting site down the road but no birds have turned up so far. Plenty of swallows though.

Reaction score
It was really quite cold here today in North East England. Also, I'm quite worried that the swifts are about two weeks late in their migration. There's a nesting site down the road but no birds have turned up so far. Plenty of swallows though.
It's not just me that's noticed they are late. I was reading last night on a birdwatching forum that numbers are seriously low this year. Same goes for swallows and martins. I pulled this graph from Birdtrack.net.

Screen Shot 2018-05-31 at 20.06.24.png

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that, but I see swifts flying high every day around here (West Scotland), so all is not lost. Seem to have loads of sparrows too (was watching them have a bath in the puddle on my neighbours' garage roof at dinnertime - cute!).

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that, but I see swifts flying high every day around here (West Scotland), so all is not lost. Seem to have loads of sparrows too (was watching them have a bath in the puddle on my neighbours' garage roof at dinnertime - cute!).
Yes, one or two places in Scotland were mentioned on the other forum as having usual numbers. They need to hurry up, they're only here for a few weeks to breed and then back to Africa.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Yes, one or two places in Scotland were mentioned on the other forum as having usual numbers. They need to hurry up, they're only here for a few weeks to breed and then back to Africa.
Well, it can't be easy to build your nest in mid-air.

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
Reaction score
A couple of days ago, Judy Murray posted a picture of snow-covered roads in Scotland.
Unfortunately, I cannot be arsed to post the link or the picture.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Glad to see the swifts back on my local patch yesterday, only a month late.
Good to know.

Just checking, it is June and not January, isn't it? The sparrows have given up flying and have taken up being flung around by the gales.

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
This weather's so hot even the rainbows are on fire :)
'Firebow' lights up the sky as Scotland sizzles
  • 4 hours ago

Image copyrightOLIVER JONES
A sunset resembling a blazing rainbow has been captured in the skies above Scotland.

Oliver Jones snapped the pictures on an evening stroll in Kaimend, a hamlet in South Lanarkshire.

Mr Jones told BBC Scotland: "As the sun set, the sky lit up creating a magnificent spectacle and image of rural Scotland."

etc
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-44694594

AlchoPwn

Public Service is my Motto.
Reaction score

Min Bannister

Possessed dog
Reaction score
We have just had a radge thunderstorm with one hugely long ruuuummmmbbbllee lasting for many minutes and tons of pink lightning. :omg:

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score

Tribble

Killjoy Boffin
Reaction score
Same in Dundee - couldn't hear any thunder but the sky was flickering like a faulty fluorescent light with a pink filter on it. The storm was to the east of us so we missed most of it.

I'd been tracking it for a while using this site https://www.lightningmaps.org/blitzortung/europe/index.php?lang=en
Thunderstorm forecast for tomorrow (maybe) here. Just as well - we've had b*gger-all rain for months, there's forest fires across the country, a total ban on barbeques in the county, wild animals are suffering with the lack of water, and our back garden looks like a post-harvest farmer's field. It'll take a LOT of rain to replenish ground water levels.
P.S. Just over 31C in the shade at the moment.

Last edited:

Vardoger

YOLO
Reaction score
It's 34 degrees Celsius in a lot of places here in Southern Norway, right now. Right now it's 26 degrees Celsius locally, but I expect it to rise to 28-29 in a few hours. Expecting thunderstorm in the evening. Looking forward to it. Southern Norway is parched and have a lot of wild fires these days.

Tribble

Killjoy Boffin
Reaction score
Thunderstorm forecast for tomorrow (maybe) here. Just as well - we've had b*gger-all rain for months, there's forest fires across the country, a total ban on barbeques in the county, wild animals are suffering with the lack of water, and our back garden looks like a post-harvest farmer's field. It'll take a LOT of rain to replenish ground water levels.
P.S. Just over 31C in the shade at the moment.
Day (what feels like) 397 of the Scandinavian Heatwave. Promises of torrential rain and thunderstorms turn out to be a light shower and two distant rumbles. People are applying for refugee status in the frozen section of the supermarket. Cats are remaining in their fluid state, unable to maintain solid form. Send ice cream.

skinny

Class of 1984
Reaction score
It got so hot here one summer the cat would go lay down on top of the Vulcan water heater to cool down. 43degC - a fur coat? No thanks.

skinny

Class of 1984
Reaction score
Day (what feels like) 397 of the Scandinavian Heatwave. Promises of torrential rain and thunderstorms turn out to be a light shower and two distant rumbles. People are applying for refugee status in the frozen section of the supermarket. Cats are remaining in their fluid state, unable to maintain solid form. Send ice cream.

Poor puss. They suffer more because they don't really do the whole
thing.

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Day Turns To Night In Siberia

On 20th July. Thought to be caused by forest fires though there apparently weren't any that close.

the light was blotted out in several districts covering an area substantially above the Arctic Circle, in size larger than Italy. The blanket of darkness starting soon after 11am was accompanied by a significant fall in temperature, a red or yellow tinge in the distant sky, a feeling for some witnesses of unpleasant pollution in the air, and - in a few locations - a trail of dust or an oil film on the surface after the light had returned at 3pm.

Ivan Gorokhov, head of Eveno-Batynaisky district: "It was really dark. Usually at this time of year we have the sun rather high - at about 80 degrees over horizon, but it was not visible at all. Not even a spot. It was totally dark."
Pics & video at link.

There was a similar incident in 1780 in New England & parts of Canada:

New England's Dark Day refers to an event that occurred on May 19, 1780, when an unusual darkening of the day sky was observed over the New England states and parts of Canada. The primary cause of the event is believed to have been a combination of smoke from forest fires, a thick fog, and cloud cover. The darkness was so complete that candles were required from noon on. It did not disperse until the middle of the next night.

Gizmos Mama

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Fittingly (sorta?) in regards to hunck's post above... is the smoke from more than 550 forest fires in the province west of me (British Columbia, Canada).

I took some video while I was out on the boat, and it was crazy! I've never seen anything like this. And every time you go outside, it smells like you are standing downwind from a campfire.

Also, a few mornings, there has been a dusting of ash on my truck.