• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weird Weather

Why is it warmer on Svalbard than further South?
Pretty odd.

Folldal: - 42 degrees C? WOW!!

(As you were... I thought that that read Folldal, colon, rule, 42 degrees, rather than Folldal minus 42)...Shit Vardoger, that. is. cold. mate.
I removed the space between minus and numbers so there's no doubt.

ENVIRONMENT FEBRUARY 26, 2018 / 6:27 PM / A DAY AGO

'Wacky' weather makes Arctic warmer than parts of Europe

Alister Doyle Environment Correspondent

OSLO (Reuters) - A freak warming around the North Pole is sending a blast of Arctic cold over Europe in a sign of “wacky” weather that may happen more often with man-made global warming, scientists said on Monday.

On the northern tip of Greenland, the Cape Morris Jesup meteorological site has had a record-smashing 61 hours of temperatures above freezing so far in 2018, linked to a rare retreat of sea ice in the Arctic winter darkness.

“It’s never been this extreme,” said Ruth Mottram, a climate scientist at the Danish Meteorological Institute (DMI). Warmth was coming into the Arctic both up from the Atlantic and through the Bering Strait, driving and cold air south.

Around the entire Arctic region, temperatures are now about 20C (36°F) above normal, at minus eight degrees Celsius (17.6°F), according to DMI calculations.

More at https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...tic-warmer-than-parts-of-europe-idUSKCN1GA2AD

I'm watching a Sky News vid on how the "Beast from the East" is affecting the UK. I hope everyone is staying inside as much as possible. Looks bad. 51F/10C here and raining in Northern California.

I'm watching a Sky News vid on how the "Beast from the East" is affecting the UK. I hope everyone is staying inside as much as possible. Looks bad. 51F/10C here and raining in Northern California.
I was coughing up some phlegm in a snow drift storm yesterday and it turned into snotty little icicles on my beard ..

Cromer yesterday ..

anc-snow.jpg

I did mention the rain, but we are getting a lot of snow in the Sierra Nevadas as temps plunge below freezing there.

It reminded me of the discussion about the five men who took a side trip above the snow level in those mountains. Hypothermia is more treacherous than I gave it credit for.

I hope the UK and Ireland will be over this "Beast" soon. It is one for the record books. The Northeastern US is going to get a big blast as well.

The boss called me at 7:30 this morning to say our place is closed today so not to go in, I feel sorry for the wedding party that are supposed to be turning up tonight and tomorrow where the Mrs works .. I'll be asking her chef if he needs a hand tonight seeing as he rescued me last night from my two and a half mile walk home, if my place is closed again tomorrow, I'll see if his place needs any kitchen or waiter help.

Not weird, but I'm pretty much trapped inside for the forseeable future as the pavements are so icy round my way. I tried venturing out earlier briefly but quickly retreated. I hope all this is over soon.

Not weird, but I'm pretty much trapped inside for the forseeable future as the pavements are so icy round my way. I tried venturing out earlier briefly but quickly retreated. I hope all this is over soon.
I'm wearing strap on ice spikes on my boots similar to these, some of them cost less than a fiver a pair .. worth buying for next year unless Amazon can get through the roads to deliver them to you now ? ... I wouldn't go for these particular ones though, from reading the user reviews, the studs have a tendency to fall out. The ones I wear are spikes.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/10-STUD-Cleats-Traction-Overshoe-Crampons/dp/B075TZCV7S/ref=sr_1_22/260-0252252-7954430?ie=UTF8&qid=1520003844&sr=8-22&keywords=ice spikes for boots

Last edited:
I haven't had a mail delivery since Tuesday. Local shops running low. My food supplies running low too. Still have this virus. Looking forward to Sunday when my rescheduled weekly shop is supposed to arrive. Please, Mr Snowman, ease off on the winter till then! It's five feet deep in places! That'll do, we're all sufficiently impressed!

You're back! Good to see you, Graylien. We were getting worried.

We had no power yesterday from 3am to 6pm (therefore no heating), and it was seriously unpleasant, despite the double glazing, loft insulation etc. I can't even imagine how horrific it must be for people who either can't afford to heat their home, or are sleeping rough...

The inside of the chickens' coop was at least 10 degrees warmer than the house too, the smug little b*****ds.

We had no power yesterday from 3am to 6pm (therefore no heating), and it was seriously unpleasant, despite the double glazing, loft insulation etc. I can't even imagine how horrific it must be for people who either can't afford to heat their home, or are sleeping rough...

The inside of the chickens' coop was at least 10 degrees warmer than the house too, the smug little b*****ds.

Fortunately I only had a 30 minute power loss. Still worrying though, wondering how long it would be off. I must buy some non-electric heater.

GNC,

It's five feet deep in places! That'll do, we're all sufficiently impressed!..

Today I was looking in an old newspaper at a picture of a farmer digging for his sheep in the snow.

The paper was dated 27 March 2013.

So best buy in some extra beans. It could be a long winter.

INT21

Many shops and supermarkets in Central Scotland are on to their third day without any key staples (bread/milk/eggs) and I see signs everywhere of panic buying.

Schools and colleges were snow-dayed off since mid-Wednesday. Assuming they do open Monday (and I can't say that's certain), I think a lot of families will keep their children at home.

There is currently a big non-thaw on. I think the weather could be like this (in the UK) for a long time, yet. There needs to be reorientation, and an acceptance. Also, adaptation. Our Polar Maritime island weather has become Arctic Maritime weather....at least for now
airmass640.png

Last edited:
Many shops and supermarkets in Central Scotland are on to their third day without any key staples (bread/milk/eggs) and I see signs everywhere of panic buying.

Schools and colleges were snow-dayed off since mid-Wednesday. Assuming they do open Monday (and I can't say that's certain), I think a lot of families will keep their children at home.

There is currently a big non-thaw on. I think the weather could be like this (in the UK) for a long time, yet. There needs to be reorientation, and an acceptance. Also, adaptation. Our Polar Maritime island weather has become Arctic Maritime weather....at least for now
airmass640.png

Supplies had arrived in central Dublin today. I got lots of vegetables, oj. pork chops, satay chicken, garlic bread.

This is an intriguing Youtube video. It purports to show, supposedly taken from the ISS on Tue 27 Feb 2018, a highly-anomalous weather phenomenon occurring across a vast section section of the globe.

I'm skeptical (of couse) and there are many lurid / rabid public comments made in response on the poster's original channel (don't read them, it'll depress you)

But it is interesting, in a weather context: perhaps....

This is an intriguing Youtube video. It purports to show, supposedly taken from the ISS on Tue 27 Feb 2018, a highly-anomalous weather phenomenon occurring across a vast section section of the globe.

I'm skeptical (of couse) and there are many lurid / rabid public comments made in response on the poster's original channel (don't read them, it'll depress you)

But it is interesting, in a weather context: perhaps....
A high concentration of nitrogen being unleashed by melting ice in Greenland?

Back