• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weird Weather

A high concentration of nitrogen being unleashed
Would colourless gaseous Nitrogen (if indeed it is being released, as you're saying) since it already makes-up three-quarters of the atmosphere result in this strange effect? If it had the appropriate refractive index, then perhaps it would.

But- assuming the images are real (they should not be taken at face value) is there not a standard understanding that pink skies are as a result of suspended ice crystals? Red skies in the morning, &c? Yet, so saying, how would this be occurring over such a vast area of the globe (I also see no real evidence of gyres in the imagery shown, either because of sample-times, refresh rates or Something Else.

Sorry, should have said Nitrogen Dioxide. Acid rain...

Hulk Hogan's moustache spotted in the wild in Nevada...

ipanews_be456c7f-44b7-490a-9f25-6b4384e23605_embedded424697

https://www.independent.ie/world-ne...and-it-kept-the-mememakers-busy-36691086.html

Iceland weather forecast : windy with a chance of flying rocks.

Gusts of wind reached more than 40 metres per second, and the road to Mýrdalssandur was closed as well due to sandstorms.A group of Chinese travellers, on a 3-day stopover in Iceland, found themselves in severe danger as the conditions became apparent once on site. Ragnar Heiðarsson, a bus driver, brought the group to Reynisfjara yesterday morning. "It was not just a sandstorm on the beach, there were rocks flying and the group was in trouble."

http://icelandreview.com/news/2018/03/29/flying-rocks-endanger-travellers-reynisfjara

No more fake/unauthorised weather reports in Egypt.

Egyptian authorities have announced a crackdown on “fake” weather reports, amid a wider suppression of media critical of the regime.

The Egyptian Meteorological Association is preparing a draft law banning unauthorised forecasts, which will punish anyone “talking about meteorology, or anyone using a weather forecasting device without our consent, or anyone who raises confusion about the weather”, the EMA Chairman, Dr Agmed Abdel-Al said in a television interview.

While false reports about the weather are rare, “weather reports have occasionally become political”, says The Guardian, citing a 2015 claim by Egypt’s interior ministry that flooding in the coastal city of Alexandria was caused not by infrastructural failings, but by members of the banned Muslim Brotherhood blocking drains with cement.

http://www.theweek.co.uk/93277/egyp...letter&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter

Reactions: Jim
^ That's a little bit hilarious. Did someone do a rain dance? Political weather. hahahaha

Reactions: Jim
While I'm off the topic, Adelaide has had its warmest driest autumn on record. The weather has been spectacular throughout ALL of April, and looks to continue for a few more weeks. I've heard of Indian summers, but this takes the sponge cake.

Deluge tomorrow, apparently, and then back to abnormal by Monday.

There’s been a constant rumble of thunder overhead since about 3pm this afternoon.
I thought it was jets going over at first but it’s been a constant rumble. I’ve never heard anything like it. We had hail too, but that’s expected in may/june. Really. It is.

There’s been a constant rumble of thunder overhead since about 3pm this afternoon.
I thought it was jets going over at first but it’s been a constant rumble. I’ve never heard anything like it. We had hail too, but that’s expected in may/june. Really. It is.

It started here about 3am this morning then lasted through till lunch, then it was clear till 5pm and started again. It's kind of mad

31-32 degrees Celsius registered several places in Southern Norway.
We have never had so warm weather in May before.

The warmth sets you back and make everything you try to do hard work.

31-32 degrees Celsius registered several places in Southern Norway.
We have never had so warm weather in May before.

It was really quite cold here today in North East England. Also, I'm quite worried that the swifts are about two weeks late in their migration. There's a nesting site down the road but no birds have turned up so far. Plenty of swallows though.

It was really quite cold here today in North East England. Also, I'm quite worried that the swifts are about two weeks late in their migration. There's a nesting site down the road but no birds have turned up so far. Plenty of swallows though.

It's not just me that's noticed they are late. I was reading last night on a birdwatching forum that numbers are seriously low this year. Same goes for swallows and martins. I pulled this graph from Birdtrack.net.

Screen Shot 2018-05-31 at 20.06.24.png

Sorry to hear that, but I see swifts flying high every day around here (West Scotland), so all is not lost. Seem to have loads of sparrows too (was watching them have a bath in the puddle on my neighbours' garage roof at dinnertime - cute!).

Sorry to hear that, but I see swifts flying high every day around here (West Scotland), so all is not lost. Seem to have loads of sparrows too (was watching them have a bath in the puddle on my neighbours' garage roof at dinnertime - cute!).

Yes, one or two places in Scotland were mentioned on the other forum as having usual numbers. They need to hurry up, they're only here for a few weeks to breed and then back to Africa.

Yes, one or two places in Scotland were mentioned on the other forum as having usual numbers. They need to hurry up, they're only here for a few weeks to breed and then back to Africa.

Well, it can't be easy to build your nest in mid-air.

A couple of days ago, Judy Murray posted a picture of snow-covered roads in Scotland.
Unfortunately, I cannot be arsed to post the link or the picture.

Glad to see the swifts back on my local patch yesterday, only a month late.

Good to know.

Just checking, it is June and not January, isn't it? The sparrows have given up flying and have taken up being flung around by the gales.

This weather's so hot even the rainbows are on fire :)
'Firebow' lights up the sky as Scotland sizzles
  • 4 hours ago

_102316499_firebowoliverjones.jpg
Image copyrightOLIVER JONES
A sunset resembling a blazing rainbow has been captured in the skies above Scotland.

Oliver Jones snapped the pictures on an evening stroll in Kaimend, a hamlet in South Lanarkshire.

Mr Jones told BBC Scotland: "As the sun set, the sky lit up creating a magnificent spectacle and image of rural Scotland."

etc

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-44694594

We have just had a radge thunderstorm with one hugely long ruuuummmmbbbllee lasting for many minutes and tons of pink lightning. :omg:

Same in Dundee - couldn't hear any thunder but the sky was flickering like a faulty fluorescent light with a pink filter on it. The storm was to the east of us so we missed most of it.

I'd been tracking it for a while using this site https://www.lightningmaps.org/blitzortung/europe/index.php?lang=en

Thunderstorm forecast for tomorrow (maybe) here. Just as well - we've had b*gger-all rain for months, there's forest fires across the country, a total ban on barbeques in the county, wild animals are suffering with the lack of water, and our back garden looks like a post-harvest farmer's field. It'll take a LOT of rain to replenish ground water levels.
P.S. Just over 31C in the shade at the moment.

Last edited:
Back