• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weird Weather

It's 34 degrees Celsius in a lot of places here in Southern Norway, right now. Right now it's 26 degrees Celsius locally, but I expect it to rise to 28-29 in a few hours. Expecting thunderstorm in the evening. Looking forward to it. Southern Norway is parched and have a lot of wild fires these days.

Thunderstorm forecast for tomorrow (maybe) here. Just as well - we've had b*gger-all rain for months, there's forest fires across the country, a total ban on barbeques in the county, wild animals are suffering with the lack of water, and our back garden looks like a post-harvest farmer's field. It'll take a LOT of rain to replenish ground water levels.
P.S. Just over 31C in the shade at the moment.

Day (what feels like) 397 of the Scandinavian Heatwave. Promises of torrential rain and thunderstorms turn out to be a light shower and two distant rumbles. People are applying for refugee status in the frozen section of the supermarket. Cats are remaining in their fluid state, unable to maintain solid form. Send ice cream.

rlpgoWf.jpg

That cat has melted into the floor a little bit.

Day (what feels like) 397 of the Scandinavian Heatwave. Promises of torrential rain and thunderstorms turn out to be a light shower and two distant rumbles. People are applying for refugee status in the frozen section of the supermarket. Cats are remaining in their fluid state, unable to maintain solid form. Send ice cream.

rlpgoWf.jpg
Poor puss. They suffer more because they don't really do the whole
tenor.gif
thing.

Day Turns To Night In Siberia

On 20th July. Thought to be caused by forest fires though there apparently weren't any that close.

the light was blotted out in several districts covering an area substantially above the Arctic Circle, in size larger than Italy. The blanket of darkness starting soon after 11am was accompanied by a significant fall in temperature, a red or yellow tinge in the distant sky, a feeling for some witnesses of unpleasant pollution in the air, and - in a few locations - a trail of dust or an oil film on the surface after the light had returned at 3pm.

Ivan Gorokhov, head of Eveno-Batynaisky district: "It was really dark. Usually at this time of year we have the sun rather high - at about 80 degrees over horizon, but it was not visible at all. Not even a spot. It was totally dark."

Pics & video at link.

There was a similar incident in 1780 in New England & parts of Canada:

New England's Dark Day refers to an event that occurred on May 19, 1780, when an unusual darkening of the day sky was observed over the New England states and parts of Canada. The primary cause of the event is believed to have been a combination of smoke from forest fires, a thick fog, and cloud cover. The darkness was so complete that candles were required from noon on. It did not disperse until the middle of the next night.

Fittingly (sorta?) in regards to hunck's post above... is the smoke from more than 550 forest fires in the province west of me (British Columbia, Canada).

I took some video while I was out on the boat, and it was crazy! I've never seen anything like this. And every time you go outside, it smells like you are standing downwind from a campfire.

Also, a few mornings, there has been a dusting of ash on my truck.

^ Heavy wind.
Could as easily fit into the "awesome events of nature" thread. Or the "shitty infrastructure" thread.

There's a big typhoon approaching in Hong Kong this weekend (there's a small one on right now). The weird element is this: typhoons get labelled with a number: 1, 3, 8, 9 and 10. 8 and above, no need to go to work. Just why is it that the government is much more likely to call a typhoon signal 8 on the weekend, when much fewer people go to work?

There's a big typhoon approaching in Hong Kong this weekend (there's a small one on right now). The weird element is this: typhoons get labelled with a number: 1, 3, 8, 9 and 10. 8 and above, no need to go to work. Just why is it that the government is much more likely to call a typhoon signal 8 on the weekend, when much fewer people go to work?
Update: it may be the biggest ever to hit Hong Kong.

On a sidenote, I haven't lived here very long, but I've already (ahem) weathered the territories hottest and coldest days on record, and soon to see the most severe tropical cyclone. Climate change is definitely a thing.

Hope you are keeping up appearances, James.

Buy a union flag umbrella and go for a walk about in the calm before the storm.

It's such a surprise for the Eastern eyes to see,
That though the English are effete
They're quite impervious to heat

Hope you are keeping up appearances, James.

Buy a union flag umbrella and go for a walk about in the calm before the storm.

It's such a surprise for the Eastern eyes to see,
That though the English are effete
They're quite impervious to heat
We've got an Orkney flag on the roof, though that might have to come down before the storm. Though an Orkney flag should weather any kind of wind.

There was a brief spell of torrential rain in Glasgow a few weeks ago that came on so suddenly while I was walking to work that it was dry when I walked under a bus shelter, and pelting with rain when I emerged from the other side a couple of seconds later.

(It was one of those double bus shelters which are maybe 20 feet long, but even so, I think that's still a very sudden and abrupt change of weather)

Ice slowly attacks houses .. people stand around and watch ..

25 degrees Celsius measured during the night in a fjord (Tafjord og Surnadal) on the west coast of Norway. That is weird. Snow has melted on the mountains and created flooding in several valleys in the western part of Norway.

Today I had the privilege of reading an old diary from 1948. It belonged to the father of a family friend who died recently and is about to be shipped off to Canada to his last remaining relatives. It doesn't go into any great details about much other than day trips and fruit harvests, just a line or two per day but these entries struck me as odd -

30th April: Snowing all day.
1st May: Very hard frost tonight.
2nd May: Hard frost Sunday night.
(and later)
17th May: Hottest day for 100 years. (Whit Monday Bank Holiday)
19th May: A real hot week.
(then)
24th May: Snow today.

Sometime in June he picked a bumper crop of gooseberries weighing in at over a stone but there was a sad entry for Friday 13th of August:
Dog was killed today.

Hail Caesar

A wave of extreme weather bringing hail, floods and strong winds has brought parts of Italy to a standstill.

After a long spell of hot weather, Rome suffered damage from a major hailstorm and torrential rains overnight.

Firefighters were called out nationwide, from Milan in the north to Sicily in the south.

Local authorities issued an orange alert - one below the highest - for the region of Calabria, where cities and towns ordered schools to stay closed.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-45938879

(and later)
(then)

David -- Out of curiosity, do you know where in Canada he was? Extremes of temperature are common in many parts of the country. Experiencing frost, intense heat and then snow within a few weeks seems odd but it's not unheard of in some locations.

The entry about the dog is incredibly sad.

David -- Out of curiosity, do you know where in Canada he was? Extremes of temperature are common in many parts of the country. Experiencing frost, intense heat and then snow within a few weeks seems odd but it's not unheard of in some locations.

The entry about the dog is incredibly sad.
Sorry, I should have mentioned this was in NE England, the relatives left for Canada sometime in the 50's and there are none left over here.

Sorry, I should have mentioned this was in NE England, the relatives left for Canada sometime in the 50's and there are none left over here.

D'Ohh!! I should have read your post more carefully. The phrase 'about to be shipped off' didn't sink in. My apologies.

In an ironic touch I heard a tourist on RTE Radio 1 saying that the water taxis were out of operation due to the floods.

Venice, Italy, was hit with a particularly high tide on Monday as more than 5 feet of water covered some 70 percent of the city, according to local officials who said the surge was the highest in nearly a decade.

Photos from the Italian tourist mecca show visitors and locals wading through many of the city’s most notable sites, including Piazza San Marco and the Rialto Bridge. The water rose even higher than the elevated walkways city officials usually install during routine flooding so people can avoid wading through the streets, and authorities eventually removed them so they wouldn’t get damaged.

Local homes and businesses were also struggling to keep out the floodwaters, according to The Associated Press.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entr...cid=newsltushpmgnews__TheMorningEmail__103018

I don't think Venice will see the end of the century, to be honest, despite the best efforts of Rondo Veneziano. We should have listened to their robot classical in the 80s!

I don't think Venice will see the end of the century, to be honest, despite the best efforts of Rondo Veneziano. We should have listened to their robot classical in the 80s!

Crikey that takes me back! Haven't seen that video in years!

Today I had the privilege of reading an old diary from 1948. It belonged to the father of a family friend who died recently and is about to be shipped off to Canada to his last remaining relatives. It doesn't go into any great details about much other than day trips and fruit harvests, just a line or two per day but these entries struck me as odd -

(and later)
(then)

Sometime in June he picked a bumper crop of gooseberries weighing in at over a stone but there was a sad entry for Friday 13th of August:
Dog was killed today.

Odd changes of weather there. And yes very sad about the dog. :( Nice that you got to read the old diary though.

Convoy driving over mountain roads is not unusual here in Norwray during winter months. The mountain roads may get closed for a few days or weeks when the weather is too snowy.

Last edited:
Back