• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weddings: Weird, Woes & Disasters

And the winner is...

Bride-to-be wins £5,000 wedding shop window contest

A "mannequin bride" who spent more than 58 hours in a bridal shop window has won £5,000 worth of wedding gifts.
Brides-to-be Kate Holder and Tara Attis modelled their wedding dresses in a 1ft x 3ft window space in Bude, Cornwall from 11:00 BST on Saturday.
It was Ms Holder who emerged as the victor in the bride wars on Monday evening, after clocking up 58.5 hours on show.

She said she has bruised hips from sleeping on the wood in the window.
"I'm very tired and I probably got about four hours sleep each night," she said.
Ms Holder, 27, from Holsworthy, Devon, who said she "had to win", is due to get married in February and said her husband-to-be was "over the moon".
"I had massive support from my family and friends and when I finished I went home and had a glass of wine," she said.

Despite losing, Ms Attis, from St Austell, Cornwall, has reportedly invited Ms Holder to her own wedding.
Shop owner, Emily Benny, said the contest started last year, when the winner remained in the window for 36 hours.
Competitors in both years were allowed to take a toilet break every four hours, but had to sleep in the windows.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-34184197

Bridal party trash their wedding dresses by throwing paint over each other and walking into the sea
By G_Bartlett | Posted: September 06, 2016

Being splashed by water and sitting on slimy rocks while your gorgeous gown drags on the ground sounds like every bride's worst nightmare.
But Genia Roberts, 33, Charlotte Mason, 33 Jen Taphouse, 36 and Gemma Drury, 33, opted to throw themselves into the sea at Bude to destroy their dresses – on purpose.

After walking down the aisle in their pristine garments, the four pals realised they would never have a chance to wear them again.
So instead of leaving the dresses hanging in their wardrobes like most newlyweds do, the brides opted to make the most of their outfits – by destroying them.

brides2b.jpg

Genia, who works in property, said she now keeps her wrecked dress in a bin bag.
"We were all a bit nervous because we didn't really know what to expect but we just got in our dresses and went for it," she said.
"We ran into the sea. You can't do it half-heartedly. It was an opportunity to do something a bit more extreme and make the most out of the dresses.
"It was fun but also a little bit sad to know that was it, that we wouldn't be able to wear them again.
"We did a good job. They are completely trashed now. Mine is in a bin bag."

brides1b.jpg

Beautiful photos taken by Colin Norwood and Glenn Stanley of Your Digital Memories show the glamorous friends – with full hair and makeup – walking into the waves.
The salty, muddy water swishes around them, drenching their dresses, smudging their eye shadow and leaving their hair frizzy with sea air.

A second set of photos show Genia, Charlotte, Gen and Gemma throwing brightly-coloured powder paint at one another – their wedding gowns acting as canvases.

brides5.jpg

Instead of the pristine white dresses they once wore, the women, of Swindon, Wilts., are left with messy dresses coloured pink, orange, yellow green and blue.

Accounts assistant Gemma said she initially thought her friends – who have all got married in the past few years – were "crazy".
She added: "But the more I thought about it the more I thought it would be a good opportunity to get excellent photos."

http://www.westbriton.co.uk/bridal-...into-the-sea/story-29688102-detail/story.html

What a waste. There's a charity that recycles wedding dresses into beautiful garments for babies who have died before or just after birth to be buried in. They could have made good use of them.

What a waste. There's a charity that recycles wedding dresses into beautiful garments for babies who have died before or just after birth to be buried in. They could have made good use of them.

that's quite a specific charity o_O

Making the little outfits is intended as a comfort to the babies' families at such a terrible time. What a kind gesture.

I'd like to donate my own but it's probably the wrong colour, and anyway they currently have plenty!

http://www.cherishedgowns.org.uk

It seems that not only has this woman married her daughter, she has previously married her son, although this marriage was dissolved!!!!!!!

Oklahoma mother, daughter arrested after alleged incestuous marriage.

DUNCAN, Okla. – A mother and daughter from Oklahoma are accused of having an incestuous marriage.
Patricia Spann, 43, and Misty Spann, 25, were married in March 2016 in Comanche County, court records show.
Police say Patricia is Misty’s biological mother.
Investigators with the Department of Human Services discovered the illegal relationship in August while investigating the children who were inside the Spanns’ home.
Misty and her two brothers were raised by a grandparent when Patricia lost custody of them, an arrest affidavit states.
The DHS investigator told authorities that Patricia and Misty reunited two years ago.
Patricia told officials she didn’t think she was breaking any laws by marrying Misty because her name is no longer listed on her daughter’s birth certificate.
A warrant was issued for their arrests on Friday.
Since then, Patricia and Misty have both been arrested and booked into the Stephens County Jail for incest, a detective told KFOR.
Bond was set at $10,000 for each of the Spann women. They’re due in court next month.
In Oklahoma, incest is a felony, and if convicted, is punishable up to 10 years in prison.
Court records show this isn’t the first time Patricia has married one of her own children.
She also married one of her sons in 2008.
However, court records show that marriage was annulled in March 2010.
patriciamistyspann.jpg

Patricia Spann and Misty Spann, Courtesy: Stephens County Jail
This is a developing story. KFOR crews are working to gather more information.

Source; http://kfor.com/2016/09/07/oklahoma-mother-daughter-arrested-after-alleged-incestuous-marriage/

Attachments

• upload_2016-9-9_8-25-36.png
    upload_2016-9-9_8-25-36.png
    15.8 KB · Views: 11
  • upload_2016-9-9_8-25-46.png
    upload_2016-9-9_8-25-46.png
    15.8 KB · Views: 13
Was that for (both occasions) some kind of financial scam loop hole reason I wonder? .. I hope it wasn't for physical attraction ...

A friend of mine just did this to celebrate her 25th anniversary. She trimmed her giant 90's gown into a snazzy cocktail dress and still had copious amounts of fabric to donate to a group that sews for dead children. I imagine there are charities that cut down intact dresses for kids who can't afford dresses for special occasions and I know some pass along intact dresses in their resale shops.
Then she went out for a fancy meal in her new/old cocktail dress.

It seems that not only has this woman married her daughter, she has previously married her son, although this marriage was dissolved!!!!!!!

patriciamistyspann.jpg

Patricia Spann and Misty Spann, Courtesy: Stephens County Jail
This is a developing story. KFOR crews are working to gather more information.

Source; http://kfor.com/2016/09/07/oklahoma-mother-daughter-arrested-after-alleged-incestuous-marriage/
Not Super. Nothing here to do wit Truth, Justice, and the American Way.

Chinese engineer ‘marries’ robot after failing to find a human wife

‘Wife’ can identify Chinese characters and speak a few words, but hubby plans upgrades

PUBLISHED : Monday, 03 April, 2017, 5:05pm UPDATED : Monday, 03 April, 2017, 5:05pm

575799ba-1838-11e7-b4ed-ac719e54b474_1280x720_170552.jpg

A Chinese engineer has “married” a robot he created after failing to find a human spouse.

Zheng Jiajia, 31, an artificial intelligence expert who designs and creates robots in Hangzhou, Zhejiang province, created the “female” robot at the end of last year, the Qianjiang Evening News reported.

The robot, which he named Yingying, can identify Chinese characters and images and even say a few simple words, the report said.

Zheng “married” his creation in a simple ceremony on Friday, according to the report.

Yingying wore a black suit on the day and “her”head was covered with a red scarf during the ceremony, a traditional Chinese wedding ritual. ...

http://www.scmp.com/news/china/soci...r-marries-robot-after-failing-find-human-wife

You may as well just marry yourself, if you're going to those lengths.

I may have mentioned that I was an usher at an old school friend's wedding some years ago. I like weddings: dressing up, excessive food and booze, bad dancing--I was delighted to accept. It took place in a very old rural church with an Anglican service, but all the primaries wore traditional Indian garb (myself included), and only Indian food was served at the reception.

The twist? Not a single person there was Indian.
To the best of my recollection, everybody was very white.

I may have mentioned that I was an usher at an old school friend's wedding some years ago. I like weddings: dressing up, excessive food and booze, bad dancing--I was delighted to accept. It took place in a very old rural church with an Anglican service, but all the primaries wore traditional Indian garb (myself included), and only Indian food was served at the reception.
The twist? Not a single person there was Indian.
To the best of my recollection, everybody was very white.

Cultural Appropriation! ;)

A man in northern China has been arrested on his wedding day after his wife's family realised that the 200 guests he invited from his side as family and friends were paid actors.

According to local media in Shaanxi province, the family of the wife, surnamed Liu, became suspicious during the conversations they were having with people from the groom's side who said they were "just friends" and not making clear how they knew him. When the ceremony started without any trace of the groom's parents, the game appeared to be up.

In interviews with regional TV station Shaanxi TV "guests" said they were paid 80 yuan ($12; £9) by the groom, named as Mr Wang, for the day to pose as family and friends. Some said they are normally taxi drivers and students, and one man revealed a conversation he had with the groom on social media platform WeChat, negotiating a price for him to be there.

As for the bride, it's reported that the couple had been together for three years, but didn't notice anything wrong at first as they had completely different circles of friends. ...

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-39771689?ocid=socialflow_twitter

NEW DELHI, May 1 (Xinhua) -- A minister in the central Indian state of Madhya Pradesh has given hundreds of washing paddles to newlywed brides, urging them to use them against their husbands if they abuse them or turn alcoholic.

Gopal Bhargava, the minister of social justice in Madhya Pradesh local government, handed over the "special gifts" to around 700 brides during a mass marriage organized by the local government at the weekend.

Bat shaped wooden paddles are traditionally used in Indian villages by women to rinse dirt out of clothes during washing.

"The idea behind suppling washing paddles is to boost the morale of women in their fight against social evils," Bhargava told Xinhua in a telephone interview from Bhopal, capital of Madhya Pradesh.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2017-05/01/c_136248872.htm

Best wedding reception ever .. something tells me they're Mortal Combat fans :cool:

Utah fights man's attempt to marry laptop
Foe of same-sex unions seeks to wed machine

2 Jun 2017 at 22:02, Thomas Claburn

The Utah Attorney General's Office says marrying a laptop is not a constitutionally protected right, particularly if it's less than fifteen years old.

Responding to a quixotic lawsuit that aspires to undo the US Supreme Court's recognition of same-sex marriage, David N Wolf, Assistant Attorney General of Utah, contends that being denied the opportunity to marry a laptop does not qualify as a rights violation.

"Simply put, marrying a laptop computer or multiple partners are not rights protected by the Constitution," Wolf says in his motion to dismiss the case.

Plaintiffs Chris Sevier, John Gunter Jr, and Whitney Kohl last year sued the State of Utah, arguing, "If individuals who self-identify as homosexuals are given substantive due process and equal protection rights to legally marry, then the plaintiffs are constitutionally entitled to enjoy those same rights afforded by the 14th Amendment."

With these claimed rights, the plaintiffs say they want to marry as they see fit. In their complaint, Sevier is described as "a machinist, a person who desires to marry an object" and Gunter and Kohl are described as polygamists who want to marry multiple people. ...

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/06/02/man_attempts_to_marry_laptop/?mt=1496483051510

The Utah Attorney General's Office says marrying a laptop is not a constitutionally protected right, particularly if it's less than fifteen years old.

Responding to a quixotic lawsuit that aspires to undo the US Supreme Court's recognition of same-sex marriage, David N Wolf, Assistant Attorney General of Utah, contends that being denied the opportunity to marry a laptop does not qualify as a rights violation.

"Simply put, marrying a laptop computer or multiple partners are not rights protected by the Constitution," Wolf says in his motion to dismiss the case.

Plaintiffs Chris Sevier, John Gunter Jr, and Whitney Kohl last year sued the State of Utah, arguing, "If individuals who self-identify as homosexuals are given substantive due process and equal protection rights to legally marry, then the plaintiffs are constitutionally entitled to enjoy those same rights afforded by the 14th Amendment."

With these claimed rights, the plaintiffs say they want to marry as they see fit. In their complaint, Sevier is described as "a machinist, a person who desires to marry an object" and Gunter and Kohl are described as polygamists who want to marry multiple people. ...

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/06/02/man_attempts_to_marry_laptop/?mt=1496483051510

This is Utah. I wouldn't be surprised if his other wives are a tablet, an ipod, two mobile phones and a Mac desktop with printer....

The laptop is unable to consent.

Didnt a woman in USA marry her laptop, or was she British, i am sure a woman did

Someone married a bridge, didn't they? A lady? Might be on this thread...

Didnt a woman in USA marry her laptop, or was she British, i am sure a woman did
There was a woman recently who married herself. A kind of protest because there aren't any men out there wanting to get married.

ive been thro the thread and i cant remember seeing that, the bridge one

Back