• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weddings: Weird, Woes & Disasters

I read that as "Garage space is more lethal than a bullet" and wondered what on earth was kept in people's garages.

Here are some more details on how the proposed Warpspace wedding plaques are claimed to be handled and how long they are expected to stay in orbit ...

First ... The titanium plaques will be bundled into cubes, and it will be these cube-bundles that are released into orbit as 'satellites'.

... Warp Space, a firm founded by faculty members from the University of Tsubuka, is offering a service that will print titanium plaques with the names of the newlyweds and load them onto a series of small cubes that each hold a few hundred of the plaques.

The cubes will then be released into space by the crew of the International Space Station and couples will be presented with photos snapped by the astronauts. ...

Here's an conceptual illustration of the released cubes ...

Japanese-company-to-launch-wedding-plaques-into-space.jpg

https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2018/0...nch-wedding-plaques-into-space/3771532632060/

Second ... Most news items don't mention what happens to the 'satellites' once they're released. The only clue I've found indicating Warpspace has considered long-term ramifications comes from this account at phys.org ...

For about 30,000 yen ($270), newly-weds marrying at the hotel will be able to emboss their names and design elements on 16-by-eight-millimetre (one-fifth of a square inch) titanium plates that will be loaded onto a tiny satellite. ...

... And while love may last forever, the commemorative plaques won't.

The satellite is expected to stay in space for one to two years, and will eventually burn up in the earth's atmosphere when it comes down.

SOURCE: https://phys.org/news/2018-07-sky-limit-japan-firm-plaques.html

Was there a an Urban Legend about this sort thing?

A 21-year-old Hong Kong woman has said she was tricked into marrying a complete stranger on the mainland while taking part in a "mock" wedding.

The woman has said she was told that she had to play the role of a bride in a simulated wedding as part of her training to be a wedding planner.

During the ceremony she and the man signed a genuine marriage document.

She only realised she was actually married after returning to Hong Kong, where she sought legal help.

Local police were unable to help due to a lack of evidence that a crime had taken place, so she approached the Hong Kong Federation of Trade Unions (FTU).

"It's a new form of marriage scam," Tong Kamgyiu, director of the Rights and Benefits Committee of FTU, told the BBC.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-45338985

So if you marry a ghost pirate and later his treasure is found, are you entitled to a percentage?

In case you missed this facebook screencap which has been doing the rounds:

r41jn1tmzsi11.jpg
Woah .. talk about princess entitled syndrome .. he had a lucky escape there .. reminds me of a young woman we know who decided to invite her family around for Christmas/wedding but then went on to tell them how much the tickets/admission fee would cost ..

Pay for your own darn wedding, that's what I say, you wanted it, you pay for it
Yes. Not only that, people need to do a rethink - 'why am I spending a f*cktonne of money for one day, money that could be used for a mortgage' - stuff like that.

Pay for your own darn wedding, that's what I say, you wanted it, you pay for it
^that^

The entitlement of the poster above beggars belief (if it's true).

I regret that Mrs Coal and I cannot bear the materialism of the modern wedding and we include most of those we went to in the 90's. One gets a 'list' of gifts that is generally rather pricey and often end up paying to go in some way.

We did no such thing and if I'm honest, we have little respect for those that do! (24 years wed next Tuesday :))

Yes, it puts pressure on the guests and that is a no no,I refuse to furnish someones house and put myself into debt. For my wedding, i borrowed my aunties dress and we got taken to the registery office by a friend who drove us in his cadillac and it was a buffet and disco, we enjoyed it, that's all that counts.

Nowadays it is all about outdoing everybody else whatever the cost to others.

For my wedding, i borrowed my aunties dress and we got taken to the registery office by a friend who drove us in his cadillac and it was a buffet and disco, we enjoyed it, that's all that counts.
Registry office and we hired a Chinese restaurant (very reasonable, as during the afternoon they normally see no-one so were very happy to do us a deal) for our good friends and family!

In Hologramly Matrimony.

Till tech do us part?

A Japanese man had the wedding of his dreams to a woman who doesn’t exist. Earlier this month, 35-year-old Akihiko Kondo got hitched to Hatsune Miku, a singing hologram that uses a voice synthesizer to perform in sold-out shows worldwide, according to “Inside Edition.”

Despite her fame, Kondo’s family didn’t approve of her. “For mother, it wasn’t something to celebrate,” Kondo told the Japan Times. Not one family member was among the 40 guests who attended the ceremony, which was estimated to cost $18,000.

Of course, Miku, being just a virtual creation, wasn’t actually there either, except in the form of a stuffed toy.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entr...cid=newsltushpmgnews__TheMorningEmail__111418

Shotgun weddings are becoming more common in India.

An Indian groom made his vows despite being shot on the way to his wedding in Delhi, police said on Wednesday.

After a few hours of surgery, the 25-year-old returned to his bride-to-be and completed the ceremony with a bullet still lodged in his shoulder. Police are now looking for two suspects who opened fire on the groom's wedding procession on Monday evening.

This is not the first instance of shots fired at an Indian wedding. Grooms were killed in April this year, and in 2016.

Witnesses say the gunmen in Monday's attack arrived on a motorbike prior to the attack at about 21:00 local time (15:30 GMT) and fled in the ensuing chaos.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-46287329

I'm not sure what to make of this ... The subsequent deletion of the post announcing the decision makes one wonder if it was all an attention-grabbing stunt. That wouldn't seem to reflect any better on the prospective bride ...
Vegan bride-to-be bans meat eaters from her wedding
A vegan bride-to-be's unusual wedding stipulation is going viral after she revealed that she uninvited all meat eaters from the ceremony -- including her own mother.

The 20-year-old Australian woman wrote in a now-viral post in a Facebook group called "Vegan Revolution" that she banned all omnivores from her wedding ceremony, including her own family.

"Some family members were told they are not invited to my wedding because we don't want to host murderers," she wrote. "Our wedding is supposed to be one of the happiest days of our lives."

The woman said the banned family members include her mother and two cousins who were originally slated to be bridesmaids.

One of the woman's cousins responded to the post, saying she and other family members were shocked and heartbroken to have their invitations revoked.

The woman then deleted her post, but not before screenshots spread across the Internet.

SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2019/0...s-meat-eaters-from-her-wedding/3471550601082/

If there were to be a dinner held in conjunction with the wedding, the bride could have more reasonably advised everyone of the vegan-only format and let them choose whether to attend or not.

I'm confused as to why she took the OTT step of disinviting non-vegans from the wedding itself. This makes me suspect there was an escalating tension and a nasty back story underlying this mess.

I don't know why, but I keep singing The Red Car and the Blue Car had a Race, to this vegan story weird

Back