• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weddings: Weird, Woes & Disasters

So the younger sister didn't get much say in it?
Im guessing from the general feel of the story(though i may be wrong) that it was an arranged marriage, so a dowery would have been involved, a suitable replacement was to hand (the sister) so all parties were satisfied, the bride and grooms feeling dont usually come into these discussions.
That part doesn't surprise me, I just find it odd that they didn't bother waiting untill the first sister was buried.
As Hindus it would most likely be a cremation but i get your point, but as i said above, a dowery was at stake and things like that can get complicated if no wife was wed to the groom.

“A bride collapsed and died at her wedding. The groom then married the woman’s sister with her dead body lying in the next room.”
https://www.insider.com/man-married-brides-sister-after-she-died-during-their-wedding-2021-6

The day's festivities continued, however, but with a different bride. While Surabhi's body lay in another room in the house, the nuptials carried on with her younger sister Nisha replacing her.

"We did not know what to do in the situation. Both the families sat together and someone suggested that my younger sister Nisha should be married to the groom," Surbhi's brother Saurabh told the local news channel TV9.

Arranged marriage is not uncommon in India.

"Most Indian marriages are arranged between families, not girl and boy whose consent is rarely factored into the equation," said Kamei Aphun, a sociology professor at Delhi University told the South China Morning Post.

Janaki Abraham, a professor at Delhi University, told SCMP that the families may have been pressured to make a match because of the expense of throwing a wedding.

"Indian marriages, even among the lower classes, are expensive affairs where even the poorest of poor have to organize lavish functions in the name of 'family honor,'" she said.

"It was a tough call for our family. One daughter lay dead in one room and the wedding of another daughter was being solemnized in the other room," Surabhi's uncle Ajab Singh told TV9.

"We have never witnessed such mixed emotions," Singh said. "The grief over her death and the happiness of the wedding have yet to sink in."

I suppose it's like that tradition of the best man marrying the jilted bride. Has that ever happened in real life, though?
Only once, to my recollection...
batman-wedding-2.jpg

“A bride collapsed and died at her wedding. The groom then married the woman’s sister with her dead body lying in the next room.”
https://www.insider.com/man-married-brides-sister-after-she-died-during-their-wedding-2021-6

The day's festivities continued, however, but with a different bride. While Surabhi's body lay in another room in the house, the nuptials carried on with her younger sister Nisha replacing her.

"We did not know what to do in the situation. Both the families sat together and someone suggested that my younger sister Nisha should be married to the groom," Surbhi's brother Saurabh told the local news channel TV9.

Arranged marriage is not uncommon in India.

"Most Indian marriages are arranged between families, not girl and boy whose consent is rarely factored into the equation," said Kamei Aphun, a sociology professor at Delhi University told the South China Morning Post.

Janaki Abraham, a professor at Delhi University, told SCMP that the families may have been pressured to make a match because of the expense of throwing a wedding.

"Indian marriages, even among the lower classes, are expensive affairs where even the poorest of poor have to organize lavish functions in the name of 'family honor,'" she said.

"It was a tough call for our family. One daughter lay dead in one room and the wedding of another daughter was being solemnized in the other room," Surabhi's uncle Ajab Singh told TV9.

"We have never witnessed such mixed emotions," Singh said. "The grief over her death and the happiness of the wedding have yet to sink in."
From the economics blog, a comment:

Makes perfect sense, if we assume some of those:

A: the wedding was very expensive
B: many distant relatives took time to travel to the location
C: the groom and wife did not know each other well, this being an arranged marriage
D: this arranged marriage being meant as a sort of alliance or support network between the two families
E: the marriage involving the bride's family paying a large dowry to the groom's family, which they already were calculating with
E*: fighting over the dowry would lead to hard feelings/conflict or would feel distasteful and/or awkward to all parties
G: the sisters being more or less similar in the criteria that the groom's family sought
H: the second sister being a net drain on resources, if she stayed in the household (or perceived to be)
I: the second sister not being liked by the rest of her family
J: the bride's family being afraid that the first sister's death could lead to her having a lower market value on the marriage market, possibly having to pay a larger dowry [if your sibling dies young, that's evidence for your lack of fitness, too]
K: the groom's family fearing that the groom's market value would sink from this dramatic episode
K*: like rumors that he is cursed or poisoned a bride, that he didn'twant to marry to get out of it
K*J*: And/Or to squash rumors that this was suicide, which would reflect extremely badly on everyone involved

None of those seem implausible, from what I know of India.

Last edited by a moderator:
I suppose it's like that tradition of the best man marrying the jilted bride. Has that ever happened in real life, though?
I've never heard of it but I was at a wedding where the bridesmaid ended up dating the (Jesuit) priest.

After a 21-year partnership and 5 children this couple arranges to finally marry when the man is diagnosed with terminal cancer. He died while standing "at the altar" awaiting his bride.
Tragedy as groom dies at the altar while bride is walking down the aisle

A BRIDE was left heartbroken after the love of her life died at the altar moments before they were to marry. ...

Paul Wynn, 57, became breathless as he waited for his partner Alison at the altar on Friday June 25 and, when she arrived, he slumped into a chair. Family members desperately administered CPR and used a defibrillator but were unable to revive the groom. ...

Paul, a freelance photographer, was told he had cancer just eight days before the ceremony ...

The disease was in his pancreas and had spread to his liver and lungs. He was given anywhere between six weeks and two months left to live.

So he and Alison brough their wedding forward in a bid to get hitched in the short time they had left together but, tragically, their final wish wasn’t fulfilled. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1457388/Dad-dead-wedding-church-altar-collapse-Saltcoats-Scotland

This Pennsylvania couple's long-delayed wedding hit a snag when the bride completely dislocated her knee during their ceremonial first dance. A few hours later - after getting the knee reset and herself bombed on painkillers - the bride returned and the reception continued.
Bride Dislocates Knee During First Dance, Then Returns to Reception After Hospital Visit

But no matter how hard you try, there are some things you can't plan for, as Paul Richter and Julie Benn found out during their ceremony over Independence Day weekend.

The couple, who have been together three years, have eagerly anticipated their wedding day following its postponement last July amid the COVID-19 pandemic. ...

On the day of the wedding, the two exchanged vows in front of loved ones, and before the reception, things appeared to be going off without a hitch. ...

Shortly after the two began their first dance as husband and wife to the Dave Matthews Band hit, "Stay," Paul gently dipped his newlywed wife — that's when the trouble began.

"I can't watch the video of it," 32-year-old Paul says of the moment Julie's left knee dislocated on the dance floor. ...

Emergency services arrived and took Julie to a local hospital where she remained for hours as doctors treated her injured knee. ...

After being given a max dosage of pain medications, doctors placed Julie under light sedation and reset her knee around 8:30 p.m. The couple then returned to the reception to rejoin the others who stayed following their abrupt departure ...
FULL STORY: https://people.com/human-interest/b...first-dance-returns-reception-after-hospital/

Due to flooding an Indian couple was transported to their public wedding ceremony in a novel 'vehicle' - a large cooking pot.
Couple in flooded India region float to wedding in a cooking pot

An Indian couple living in a region that experienced severe flooding took an unusual vehicle to reach their wedding venue -- a cooking pot.

Akash Kunjumon said he and his wife, Aishwarya, were legally married Oct. 6, but their wedding ceremony was planned for Oct. 18. ...

Kunjumon said the ceremony was originally to have been held at a temple at Thalavady, but recent floods caused the religious building to be filled with water, so the event was moved to a nearby hall with a stage that had not been submerged.

"Although we tried to arrange a small boat to reach the venue, none was available," Kunjumon told The Hindu.

He said officials at the temple provided an alternative solution.

"People from the temple arranged the pot for us," he told The Washington Post.

The couple climbed into a large cooking pot, and a video shows them being pushed through the floodwaters to reach the event hall. ...
FULL STORY (With Video): https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2021/10/20/india-flooding-cooking-pot-float-wedding/9501634756201/

This bride's 'special day' was an especially bad (or at least humiliating) day ...
Bride passes out, vomits and gets pooped on during disaster wedding

... Wife Hollee Lynnea-Kolenda Darnell unintentionally put her groom’s “in sickness and in health” loyalty to the test when she passed out, puked and got pooped on during their wedding ceremony.

“I kept trying to tell my husband I didn’t feel good and he thought I was joking,” Darnell, 23, captioned a trending TikTok of her mid-marriage medical mishap.

In the chaotic clip ... a visibly wobbly Darnell is seen gripping her groom Jackson’s hands, signaling to him that she’d suddenly fallen ill just as their pastor began officiating their holy matrimony under an outdoor gazebo in Florida.

Then she fell limp into her hubby-to-be’s arms. ...

“Are you OK?,” Jackson asked after he and the pastor caught Darnell’s fall and began fanning her face. She shook her head “no,” then stumbled over to the railing of the gazebo, where she began heaving. ...

And unfortunately for Darnell, that wasn’t the only incident involving a bodily fluid on her wedding day.

“After I passed out … My sister had a fan on my baby nephew, so she came over to me to put that fan on me, and as she was holding my nephew he starts pooping,” she said. “And the poop goes down her arm and onto my dress.” ...
FULL STORY (With Photos): https://nypost.com/2021/12/02/bride-faints-vomits-and-gets-pooped-on-during-wedding/

Here's one for the Weird Weddings side of the ledger. I'd never heard of a "double-proxy wedding" before - a wedding arranged so that two designated people stand in for the actual bride and groom, who don't even have to be present. Montana is the only US state that allows double-proxy weddings, and the practice has skyrocketed in popularity during the last few years.
Double-proxy marriages are on the rise in Montana

Double-proxy marriages are on the rise in Montana. In a proxy marriage, a representative - known as a proxy - stands in place of either of the participants. In a double-proxy marriage, the participants are both absent from the marriage ceremony, and each is represented by a proxy.

It may be a term that some people aren't familiar with for one simple reason: Montana is the only state where double-proxy marriages are legal. In order to qualify, you must either be a Montana resident, or an active-duty military member. ...

Peg Allison, who has served as the Flathead County Clerk of District Court since 1993, says that It was about a decade into her tenure when she first heard about this ...

"It first came to my attention when an attorney called me about 20 years ago," she said. "I was a little surprised, it's a little strange, but that was our very first one. He had arranged for a couple of proxy to stand in the place of a couple of spouses and they were married."

She added, "We saw a very gradual increase over the last 20 years. In 2019, we were doing about 1,200 of them annually, and then Covid hit, and in 2020, we did 4,200 of them, and in 2021, another 4,300. People weren't able to travel, gather in groups, and I think double-proxy became widely used because of the pandemic." ...

The law has been in place since Montana became a state in 1889; Allison said, "I think that one intention of the Montana Legislature was to provide an opportunity for persons that either lived a long way from a county seat. We are a very rural state, and a hundred years ago, it took quite an effort for people to be able to get to a county seat ..."
FULL STORY: https://www.kbzk.com/news/montana-news/double-proxy-marriages-are-on-the-rise-in-montana

So, they use false names and false birth certificates etc ?

Here's one for the Weird Weddings side of the ledger. I'd never heard of a "double-proxy wedding" before - a wedding arranged so that two designated people stand in for the actual bride and groom, who don't even have to be present. Montana is the only US state that allows double-proxy weddings, and the practice has skyrocketed in popularity during the last few years.

FULL STORY: https://www.kbzk.com/news/montana-news/double-proxy-marriages-are-on-the-rise-in-montana

You'd think the least a couple'd do for their beloved is turn up in person to marry them.

Would this be a way to get married to someone without your consent? Sounds like a system ripe for abuse (and abusers).

You'd think the least a couple'd do for their beloved is turn up in person to marry them.

As I understand it, the original rationale for the double-proxy wedding had more to do with the problems of distance and logistics between (a) the betrothed couple and the authority empowered to render them legally married rather than (b) the bride and groom themselves.

On the other hand, the specific inclusion of people in military service may well have had more to do with separation of the bride and groom.

Montana covers a huge expanse of territory, so physical distances were a bigger problem in the late 19th century when the relevant law originated. Beyond that ...

I find it a bit strange that use of double-proxy marriages has skyrocketed recently, during a time when (e.g.) video conferencing would seem to have greatly reduced the need to have separate proxies stand in for the bride and groom at a cursory exchange-of-vows ceremony.

Would this be a way to get married to someone without your consent? Sounds like a system ripe for abuse (and abusers).

That's a good point.

I don't know what administrative procedures and requirements were applied to ensure the actual bride and actual groom were the ones who'd requested the proxy ceremony. My guess is that some sort of documentation from the actual engaged folks and / or some third-party authority certifying the identity of the actual engaged folks was required before the ceremony could be arranged.

This is one of the reasons I wonder why the recent surge of marriages enacted by double-proxy haven't been enacted via (e.g.) video teleconference (with similar documentation requirements, but without the proxies).

As I understand it, the original rationale for the double-proxy wedding had more to do with the problems of distance and logistics between (a) the betrothed couple and the authority empowered to render them legally married rather than (b) the bride and groom themselves.

On the other hand, the specific inclusion of people in military service may well have had more to do with separation of the bride and groom.

Montana covers a huge expanse of territory, so physical distances were a bigger problem in the late 19th century when the relevant law originated. Beyond that ...

I find it a bit strange that use of double-proxy marriages has skyrocketed recently, during a time when (e.g.) video conferencing would seem to have greatly reduced the need to have separate proxies stand in for the bride and groom at a cursory exchange-of-vows ceremony.
People who are getting married are expecting to live together afterwards. There's no point otherwise.
I can see the idea for people serving overseas, though they might have thought of it before leaving.

In Hologramly Matrimony.

Till tech do us part?

A Japanese man had the wedding of his dreams to a woman who doesn’t exist. Earlier this month, 35-year-old Akihiko Kondo got hitched to Hatsune Miku, a singing hologram that uses a voice synthesizer to perform in sold-out shows worldwide, according to “Inside Edition.”

Despite her fame, Kondo’s family didn’t approve of her. “For mother, it wasn’t something to celebrate,” Kondo told the Japan Times. Not one family member was among the 40 guests who attended the ceremony, which was estimated to cost $18,000.

Of course, Miku, being just a virtual creation, wasn’t actually there either, except in the form of a stuffed toy.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/akihiko-kondo-wedding-hologram-hatsune-miku_us_5beb49b2e4b044bbb1a9e732?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=__TheMorningEmail__111418&utm_content=__TheMorningEmail__111418+CID_6d02f837aca362aac2782397e4a91366&utm_source=Email marketing software&utm_term=married to a hologram&ncid=newsltushpmgnews__TheMorningEmail__111418

A silent relationship.

Fictosexual man who married a hologram can no longer speak with wife, due to software glitch​

More recently, however, their relationship has hit a roadblock. After 4 years of wedded bliss, the couple is no longer speaking … because of a software problem:

At first, he used a service developed by a startup in Tokyo that projected a three-dimensional hologram of Hatsune Miku into a cylinder, and it was possible to hold simple conversations with her via artificial intelligence. It was reported that when Kondo proposed to her, she replied "I hope you'll cherish me."
[…]
What has changed for Kondo since his wedding ceremony is that he can no longer enjoy conversations with the character, as the company that developed the service terminated it in March 2020, saying the limited production model had run its course. But Kondo maintains, "My love for Miku hasn't changed. I held the wedding ceremony because I thought I could be with her forever."

https://boingboing.net/2022/04/28/f...r-speak-with-wife-due-to-software-glitch.html

A wedding at Glacier National Park was interrupted by a grizzly bear killing and eating a moose calf across the water from the wedding scene.

Grizzly Bear Feasts on Moose as Couple Exchange Wedding Vows Nearby

A couple recited their wedding vows to each other in Montana's Glacier National Park, but the mood shifted when a grizzly bear attacked and began eating a moose calf nearby.

Stanton Giles, a wedding videographer, captured the graphic moment on camera and posted it to his YouTube channel on August 18 where it was viewed nearly 10,000 times.

"A wedding ceremony was taking place on the shore of Two Medicine Lake in Glacier National Park, when most of the way through the groom's vows, a grizzly charged out of the brush onto the north shore and attacked a moose calf as the mother looked on," the video description said. ...

In the video, the camera focuses on the groom as he recited his vows when a strangled cry could be heard in the distance.

The camera cut to show the bear on top of the moose calf, who kicked its legs to no avail. ...

"And that's why we didn't go to the north shore, ladies and gentlemen," someone said off camera.

The bear continued to eat the moose as people commented on what they were witnessing. Toward the end of the video, one person wondered if they should relocate the wedding. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.newsweek.com/grizzly-bear-feasts-moose-couple-exchange-wedding-vows-nearby-1737510

This Italian groom's attempt at a dramatic entrance resulted in a broken collar bone and five stitches on his head.
BRIDE COMES BEFORE A FALL Moment groom suffers broken collar bone after trying to make a dramatic wedding entrance on dirt bike

A GROOM suffered a broken collar bone after trying to show off on a dirt bike at his wedding.

The bride was waiting with a checkered flag for her new spouse's dramatic entrance when he skidded and toppled off the bike. ...

Shocking footage shows the excited woman in white waiting on a road side in Parma, Italy.

Her husband then flies around the bend on a dirt bike, sounding his horn in excitement.

Suddenly, he loses control and is thrown off the bike.

He smashes into the ground before rolling - leaving him sitting sprawled out. ...

Reception guests watching on can be heard crying out in horror as they rush to help him.

The stricken groom was taken to hospital, where he was treated for a broken collar bone.

He also had to have five stitches on his head. ...
FULL STORY (With Photos & Video): https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/19835408/groom-broken-collar-bone-wedding-entrance/

What's weird here is the lengths there guys will go to to get married.

Last month, a group of men in the southern Indian state of Karnataka marched 120km (74.5 miles) to visit a temple so they could pray to find wives. Their endeavour sparked humour online, but activists say it points to deeper socio-economic issues in the region.

Most of the men who joined the march - it started out with 30 participants and ended with 60 - were farmers from Karnataka's Mandya district. The sex ratio at birth in the area has been skewed for decades - campaigners say that is one reason why many men find it hard to get married. Others include dwindling farm incomes and women exercising different choices from earlier generations.

Mallesha DP was one of the participants in the Brahmacharigalu padayatra - the march of the bachelors - to Male Mahadeshwara temple, whose devotees believe their prayers will be fulfilled.

"When I should have fallen in love, I was busy working. I made money," he says. "Now that I have everything in life I cannot find a girl to marry."

Mr Mallesha is only 33, but says he's already considered to be past the ideal age for marriage in his area.

Shivaprasad KM, one of the organisers, says more than 200 men had signed up to be part of the march when they first announced it.

"Many backed out because local media presented our case in a negative manner," he says. ...

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-64885039

What's weird here is the lengths there guys will go to to get married.

Last month, a group of men in the southern Indian state of Karnataka marched 120km (74.5 miles) to visit a temple so they could pray to find wives. Their endeavour sparked humour online, but activists say it points to deeper socio-economic issues in the region.

Most of the men who joined the march - it started out with 30 participants and ended with 60 - were farmers from Karnataka's Mandya district. The sex ratio at birth in the area has been skewed for decades - campaigners say that is one reason why many men find it hard to get married. Others include dwindling farm incomes and women exercising different choices from earlier generations.

Mallesha DP was one of the participants in the Brahmacharigalu padayatra - the march of the bachelors - to Male Mahadeshwara temple, whose devotees believe their prayers will be fulfilled.

"When I should have fallen in love, I was busy working. I made money," he says. "Now that I have everything in life I cannot find a girl to marry."

Mr Mallesha is only 33, but says he's already considered to be past the ideal age for marriage in his area.

Shivaprasad KM, one of the organisers, says more than 200 men had signed up to be part of the march when they first announced it.

"Many backed out because local media presented our case in a negative manner," he says. ...

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-64885039
If all those single men want to get married, they could always marry each other. Nowt wrong with same sex marriage.....

Back