• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weddings: Weird, Woes & Disasters

I suppose it's like that tradition of the best man marrying the jilted bride. Has that ever happened in real life, though?
Not exactly a jilting as such GNC, but my Great Grandfather married my Great Grandmother at St Pancras parish church (I believe) in 1911. His best man that day was his brother. A son was born (my Grandfather.) My Great Grandfather then went on to be killed at the battle of Jutland in 1916 – HMS Lion rings a bell with me. The brother then went on to marry his brother’s widow, where 4 more children were born.

We knew none of this until the day my Grandfather died, and my Mums aunt pulled her to one side and told her at the wake. My mum was shocked that the man she grew up calling granddad wasn’t her biological Grandad – not that it mattered of course. The man married his brothers sweetheart out of an act of extreme kindness and to ensure that my Grandfather had a stable upbringing.

My British Grandmother was engaged to a man she met in Liverpool when they were teenagers.
He was a member of the British Navy, and their wedding was planned.
The night before the wedding, he was suddenly told they were shipping out, he had no choice, he didn't even get to tell her.
I have forgotten how long he was gone, but it may have been a year or two, quite a time. And my Grandmother had gotten engaged to another man, but it didn't matter - she broke it off and married her true love.

I know this isn't 'weird', but I came across this photo of your St. Theresa's Roman Catholic Church in Beaconsfield, which is where my British Mum married my dad:

1678754675191.png

Wow. Thanks for this Max. I have found his name on the list, but I was wrong about the ship. He was on the Ardent not the Lion, and was killed on the 1st of June 1916 his job being a stoker, which meant he stood no chance of survival once his ship was hit.

As a family we know virtually nothing about him or his life during WW1, at least now I know the ship he served on I can do a bit more research.

Thank you again Max.

Wow. Thanks for this Max. I have found his name on the list, but I was wrong about the ship. He was on the Ardent not the Lion, and was killed on the 1st of June 1916 his job being a stoker, which meant he stood no chance of survival once his ship was hit.

As a family we know virtually nothing about him or his life during WW1, at least now I know the ship he served on I can do a bit more research.

Thank you again Max.

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk...royal-navy-ratings-service-records-1853-1928/

maximus otter

A boom box wedding present.

A newly-married Indian man and his brother have died after a home theatre system they received as a wedding gift exploded.

Police said the gift was planted with explosives that went off as soon as it was plugged into power. While the groom died on the spot, his brother succumbed to injuries during treatment.

Police said the bomb was allegedly sent by the bride's former lover who was angry at her for marrying another man. The accused, who has been identified as Sarju Markam from the neighbouring state of Madhya Pradesh, was arrested on Tuesday. Since he's in custody, he's not made any statements yet.

Four others, including an 18-month-boy, were injured in the explosion, which took place on 3 April at the groom's home in Kabirdham district in the central Indian state of Chhattisgarh.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-65185152

A boom box wedding present.

A newly-married Indian man and his brother have died after a home theatre system they received as a wedding gift exploded.

Police said the gift was planted with explosives that went off as soon as it was plugged into power. While the groom died on the spot, his brother succumbed to injuries during treatment.

Police said the bomb was allegedly sent by the bride's former lover who was angry at her for marrying another man. The accused, who has been identified as Sarju Markam from the neighbouring state of Madhya Pradesh, was arrested on Tuesday. Since he's in custody, he's not made any statements yet.

Four others, including an 18-month-boy, were injured in the explosion, which took place on 3 April at the groom's home in Kabirdham district in the central Indian state of Chhattisgarh.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-65185152
Great stock photo to illustrate that.

An alleged drunk-driver crashed into a South Carolina wedding group, killing the bride and seriously injuring several others.

Safe Guardian link -
Bride killed moments after wedding by alleged drunk driver who hit golf cart

A bride leaving her wedding reception was killed just moments after the ceremony when a drunk driver slammed into the newlywed couple’s golf cart on a South Carolina beach road, authorities said on Monday.

Samantha Miller, 34, of Charlotte, North Carolina, died in the wreck, according to the Charleston county coroner’s office. Miller had just gotten married hours earlier, Folly Beach public safety department director Andrew Gilreath said.

Three others in the golf cart were injured, including the groom, who remains hospitalized and in critical condition.

Vid at link.

Watch: Mexican mayor weds crocodile in harvest ritual​

A mayor of a small Mexican town has wed a crocodile bride in an age-old ritual for prosperity. He could be seen kissing the reptile, whose snout had been tied shut.

The seven-year-old crocodile, nicknamed 'little princess', is thought to represent a deity linked with mother earth. Her marriage to the local leader symbolises the joining of humans with the divine.

The tradition likely dates back centuries to Oaxaca state's Chontal and Huave indigenous communities. "It is the union of two cultures. The union of the Huaves and the Chontales," Mayor Victor Hugo Sosa told reporters.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-66082749

Woman divorces ghost of Victorian soldier for unreasonable behaviour

https://www.gloucestershirelive.co....oman-divorces-ghost-victorian-soldier-8605733

A woman who claims she 'married' the ghost of Victorian soldier last year has now revealed that they are divorced. Brocarde, 40, claims she met "devilishly handsome" soldier Edwardo when the ghoul "burst" into her bedroom on a stormy night.

The spectre immediately announced his love for the singer and songwriter, she said, and over time began confiding in her. The long-haired supernatural soldier allegedly seduced Brocarde and the pair embarked on a "turbulent" love affair that hit the headlines when she announced they were to "marry" in a chapel on Halloween 2022.

Shortly after they wed the self-professed "one-woman horror story", who asked to only be referred to by her first name, told the press she was frustrated that her spooky husband got too drunk on their honeymoon to Barry Island, Wales. As the relationship progressed, Edwardo became increasingly possessive of the woman with 185,000 Instagram followers - she said he would flit flitting between acting in a threatening way, and then "warm and intense."

I can't find any online news sources referring to it but my Stepfather's friend (let's call him Phil, as that was his real name anyhow) was invited to the wedding of his young niece and her fiancé (they were quite young about 18/19). This was IIRC mid-1980s, in Somerset. The normal afternoon/early evening reception commenced and after about 3 hours the bride and groom had a massive row, she walked out of her own reception, stalked off down the road in her big white dress and never spoke to him again. The marriage was annulled...

A huge fire broke out at a wedding in Iraq, causing over 100 deaths.
The cause is said to be fireworks. They seem to have been the indoor type.

More than 100 people killed after fire breaks out at Iraq wedding

More than 100 people have been killed and 150 people injured in a fire at a wedding celebration in the district of Hamdaniya in Iraq’s Nineveh province, Iraqi state media have reported.

The health department in Nineveh put the death toll at 114. Health ministry spokesperson Saif al-Badr had earlier put the number of injured at 150.

“All efforts are being made to provide relief to those affected by the unfortunate accident,” al-Badr said.

“The majority of the injured suffer from burns and asphyxiation,” he said, adding that there had also been crowd crushes at the scene.

Civil defence authorities said that preliminary information suggested fireworks were to blame for the blaze and the Kurdish television news channel Rudaw aired footage showing fireworks shooting up from the floor of the events hall and setting a chandelier aflame.

How long before she gets divorced?

A woman who spent 20 years saving for her dream wedding has thrown herself her own big day after not meeting the right partner.

Sarah Wilkinson, 42, decided to hold a wedding ceremony conducted by her celebrant friend at Harvest House in Felixstowe, Suffolk. The credit controller said the occasion was a natural progression after she treated herself to an engagement ring.

"It was a lovely day for me to be centre of attention," she said. "The ceremony wasn't an official wedding, but I had my wedding day. I think you get to the point where you think 'I might not have this with a partner by my side, but why should I miss out?' That money was reserved for my wedding - it was a case of it's there and why not use it for something I want to do."

Sarah Wilkinson signing the register

Ms Wilkinson said she spent four months looking for her perfect wedding dress

Ms Wilkinson, who lives in the town, said she splashed out £10,000 on the celebration after saving each month and adding any extra windfalls she had, such as bingo wins.

The bride was surrounded by 40 of her closest family and friends for the ceremony on 30 September and another 40 people in the evening at the tennis club opposite.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-suffolk-67084850

and good for her! Like an extra special birthday. The report suggests that others enjoyed it too.
I don't know why they had to stress the 'wedding' thing though. What she really did was buy herself a nice present and throw a lovely party with all her friends there, whilst wearing a lovely dress. If that dress had been black and she'd simply called the ring a beautiful diamond and sapphire ring, would anyone have thought of it as a wedding?

A woman who spent 20 years saving for her dream wedding has thrown herself her own big day after not meeting the right partner.

Sarah Wilkinson, 42, decided to hold a wedding ceremony conducted by her celebrant friend at Harvest House in Felixstowe, Suffolk. The credit controller said the occasion was a natural progression after she treated herself to an engagement ring.

"It was a lovely day for me to be centre of attention," she said. "The ceremony wasn't an official wedding, but I had my wedding day. I think you get to the point where you think 'I might not have this with a partner by my side, but why should I miss out?' That money was reserved for my wedding - it was a case of it's there and why not use it for something I want to do."

Ms Wilkinson, who lives in the town, said she splashed out £10,000 on the celebration after saving each month and adding any extra windfalls she had, such as bingo wins.

The bride was surrounded by 40 of her closest family and friends for the ceremony on 30 September and another 40 people in the evening at the tennis club opposite.

They are a weird lot in Felixstowe.

Spent a weekend there in June, so I would know. Got propositioned to in a pub, by a large American girl. I wouldn’t mind but I was standing at the bar with Mrs DT at the time. o_O

Very odd

Pleasant little seaside town, but the ugliest freight port you would ever see in your life.

Wedding dancers crash through ceiling of 15th century Italian monastery

Guests at a lavish Italian-American wedding in a 15th century Tuscan monastery crashed through the arched ceilings as they danced the night away.

Some 40 revellers plummeted about 13ft as an almost perfectly circular hole opened up beneath them, landing amid rubble, dust and plaster beneath a grand Last Supper fresco.

TELEMMGLPICT000362633006_17052443286560_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bqkk0s_M_kFm-d1Ax5f2r2Wk3oOXNROu1EFP51T6s2Qt8.jpeg

The two newlyweds, Paolo Mugnaini and Valeria Ybarra, both 26, ended the night sat side by side in hospital beds recovering from the fall.

They were surrounded by other guests, all of whom were hospitalised. Everyone survived, although six reported serious but non-life-threatening injuries.

Paywalled: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2024/01/14/wedding-dancers-crash-ceiling-italy-monastery/

Quoted here: https://www.timworstall.com/2024/01/fun-start-to-a-marriage/

maximus otter

No wonder she cant find a partner.

That neckline is far too low.

She could have spent that money on a holiday, or something more practical...

She could have spent that money on a holiday, or something more practical...
She wanted a fuss. Girls are like that. :wink2:

I do agree though. A month's wild trekking in Peru or summat might be better value for money.

Or, OR, she could buy a bike and join a learner-friendly cycling group. Cheaper, more fun, gets you fit, introduces you to hunky men. :nods:

She wanted a fuss. Girls are like that. :wink2:

I do agree though. A month's wild trekking in Peru or summat might be better value for money.

Or, OR, she could buy a bike and join a learner-friendly cycling group. Cheaper, more fun, gets you fit, introduces you to hunky men. :nods:
That's how we met....

Roman-Holiday-Vespa-730x903.jpg

Penguin delights unsuspecting wedding guests by waddling in with the rings

A penguin delighted unsuspecting wedding guests by waddling in with the rings.

Pringle the Humboldt was lured into joining the ceremony with a bucket of fish.

Jam_Press_JMP438588jpg-JS877739118jpg-JS877750091.jpg

He appeared with the rings dangling around his neck after the original bearers pretended they had forgotten them and hurriedly left.

The couple booked [him] from Heythrop Zoological Garden, Oxfordshire, after being told a goose would be too unpredictable.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/25820063/jen-tom-loveland-penguin-wedding-stunt/

maximus otter

Back