• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weddings: Weird, Woes & Disasters

I was just in town for shopping, and I heard a vehicle hooting its horn. A group of pedestrians were waving to a white lorry, and as it came round the corner I realised it was a rubbish collection vehicle.

It was remarkably clean though, and then I noticed a "Just Married" sticker in the windscreen... In the cab was the bride, dressed all in white, and the groom, riding up with the driver! In the back end of the cart were several large cans hung upon strings.

I wished I'd had my camera ready, but the unusual 'wedding car' had gone by in just seconds. I hope their wedding photographer was better prepared - definitely a wedding to remember! :D

Taking the plunge: Couple gets married on a rock half a mile out to sea... and even the bride's 80-year-old grandpa swims over to watch them tie the knot
By Lauren Paxman
Last updated at 7:59 PM on 23rd September 2011

Everyone wants their wedding day to be original. But trained lifeguards Becky Watkinson and Samson Hutson put more effort than most into coming up with a unique wedding venue.
Perhaps even more admirably, though, their 50 guests didn't baulk at having to swim out to a little rock off the North Devon Coast to watch Becky, 24, and Samson, 26 tie the knot.
Even Becky's 80-year-old grandpa, Brian Machin took the plunge. And the groom's father - who cannot swim - donned a lifejacket and floated to the rock on his back.

After exchanging vows in wet suits and a white tutu for the bride the couple jumped 20-ft off the rock into the sea at Hele Bay, near Ilfracombe, Devon.
The pair are both outdoors instructors and wanted a special service for their big day having already had a proper wedding at a registry office.
Although the rock wedding wasn’t legal because it wasn’t on a licensed venue it meant a lot to the couple.
For part of the journey guests scrambled over the rocks getting their feet wet. But the final 66ft had to be swum.

Speaking before the ceremony Becky said: 'We’re not really conventional people - I wouldn’t want to wear a dress and Samson wouldn’t want to wear a suit.
'When we got married in the register office nobody was there - it was boring.
'This is our true wedding day - this is where we really want to get married.
'The rock is about half a mile out - you have to half scramble over rocks and half swim to get there.
'My granddad will be there - in a wetsuit - he’s loving it.
'Grandad’s really excited about the wedding and thankfully is very fit - he goes swimming about once a week and still rides his bike,' said Becky.

She admits her grandmother Muriel Machin, on the other hand, is 'not quite so excited' and will travel to and from the rock by boat.
'Nana made me laugh so much - she said ‘at 75-years-old I consider myself ancient and I certainly won’t be squeezing myself into a wet suit’,' Becky said.
'So many people said "no way" when they saw the invitation and that they’d watch it from the beach.
'But everyone slowly came round.
'The vicar is doing it too - that’s how we met him - during a coasteering session.
'He’s the only vicar in the UK to do this sort of thing I think.
'Samson’s dad can’t swim at all - so that’s going to be a bit of a challenge,' Becky said.
He ended up wearing a life jacket and floating out on his back.

Becky admits the biggest challenge for some of the guests - including her mother Sue Ward - would be jumping into the sea with them after the marriage ceremony.
'Some of the family might have a bit of a wobble because we took mum for a practice jump and she took ages to jump,' she said.
'But the bay is very sheltered and we’ll have really experienced lifeguards in the water and safety lines... everything will be absolutely fine.'

Becky and Samson, who are both originally from the Nottingham area, met in Greece and have spent time travelling around Europe, Australia, the Middle East and South America.
For the past two years, the couple, who are experienced coasteering instructors, have taught surfing, kayaking and climbing in and around Ilfracombe. They are both also trained beach lifeguards.
'We really love living in Devon and can’t think of anywhere better for the wedding,' Becky said.

The couple insist no-one will be in any danger on the day of the wedding, and the jump will have been well practiced and researched.
'You can jump off the rock with complete safety two hours either side of high water, so that’s at two-thirty and we’re getting married about one-thirty.
The couple’s main witnesses will be men, but with a slight nod to tradition, the two 'bridesmaids' will be attired in wetsuits with pink tutus.

One of the 'bridesmaids' is Australian Andrew 'Bruce' Biggs, who has known Becky since she was a teenager.
'When I phoned to tell him about the wedding I said I was gutted he wouldn’t be able to make it, but he just laughed and said "of course I will" and he booked his flight the very next day,' Becky said.
Bruce, however, suffers from acrophobia (fear of heights) and is 'absolutely terrified' at the thought of jumping from the top of the rock.
'Given that he’s Australian, I also don’t think he’ll do very well with the cold water in Devon,' Becky said.

Hot pasties and tea were waiting in a marquee for the newly-weds and their guests when they arrived back at the beach.
Later in the day the wedding was celebrated with a reception 'more suited to our lifestyle' - a pirate-themed reception at the local yacht club.
Becky and Samson both wore eye patches.

Before swimming across to the rock Vicar Paul Hanley said: 'This is the oddest ceremony I’ve ever done - but it’s a lot of fun.
'I’ll be wearing a wetsuit and will have a dry bag so I hope the order of service doesn’t get damp.
'I’ll jump off the rock with the couple afterwards - I’m going to enjoy the whole thing.
'It’s wonderful - it’s meaningful to them and to all who see it as well.' :D

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... z1Ys62hDWr

There to support the grrrroom.

Dog Snoopy is best man at Sue and Michael Hopkins' Swansea church wedding
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-sout ... s-17778044

Snoopy dressed to the (ca)-nines at Sue and Michael Hopkins' wedding

A dog called Snoopy has become the best man at the wedding of his owners.

When Sue and Michael Hopkins tied the knot after 14 years together they did not want their much-loved pet to miss out on the ceremony.

The 11-year-old lurcher known as Snoop kept the rings in a bag round his neck and began barking to let people know the service had finished.

Mrs Hopkins, of Penlan, Swansea, said: "Everybody laughed because he did a massive yawn and then started barking."

The couple are to take their best man with them on honeymoon next month once they have booked a dog-friendly hotel.

They picked him as their best man after discussing it with vicar Nick Stanyon at Manselton United Reformed Church.

Continue reading the main story

Start Quote

Because we have come so far and done so much, we wanted him to to be part the day as well”

Sue Hopkins
Snoop's owner
Mrs Hopkins, 49, used to live near the vicar and knew him from dog walking in the local park.

Snoopy was a rescue dog from the city's Llys Nini RSPCA animal centre in 2001.

She said: "He was badly treated. We have come a long way with him.

"He's quite placid now. He is an old boy now but he is still quite anxious if the doorbell goes.

"He has still got that bit of fire in him."

She said Snoopy had helped her cope over the years with the cancer deaths of her parents and her sister.

He barked at the end of the ceremony to let people know it was time to go
"He's my rock. He brought me through a lot of that. I don't think I would have come through a lot of things without him.

"We always thought we would have Snoop with us. But we thought we were going to lose him at Christmas."

Snoopy was treated for a blood clot and pulled through. Then a week before the couple's wedding he had an operation on his eye.

He recovered from this in time to wear a purple and lilac scarf on the big day, the same colour as the flowers and groom's tie.

Mrs Hopkins said: "Because we have come so far and done so much, we wanted him to be part of the day as well."

She said Snoopy's "massive yawn" came at just the right moment in the proceedings.

She said: "Once he gets bored, he kicks off then, so it was perfect timing. It was as if he was rejoicing as well then."

Tragic.

Afghan wedding hit by floods in Sar-e Pol province
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-17980398

At least 22 people have been killed and about 80 are still missing after a flash flood hit Sar-e Pol province in northern Afghanistan.

Floodwaters deluged a wedding party in Deh Mordan village when Sang Charak district was flooded on Sunday night, disaster officials say.

A provincial council member told the BBC that President Karzai had sent two helicopters to assist rescue efforts.

A number of women and children at the wedding party are among the dead.

''We have a human tragedy. Floods have hit a wedding party and several other villages," provincial governor Haqbeen told the BBC's Bilal Sarwary in Kabul.

"The area is mountanious. Several other nearby villages have also been hit. Sadly there are a lot of human losses. But people have also lost livestock, agricultural lands."

'Killer bride' seized at banquet in Udmurtia, Russia
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-18172718

Related Stories

Russia country profile

Police in the Russian Urals region of Udmurtia have arrested a woman at her wedding reception hours after she allegedly kicked a man to death.

Yekaterina M, 22, was charged with the manslaughter of a man from her village, 45, whom she allegedly assaulted because he owed her money.

She set about kicking him under the windows of her own house, leaving him to die in the street, prosecutors say.

Her drunken fiance allegedly looked on during the attack.

The couple had known each other for a long time and had fixed their date at the registry office well in advance, according to prosecutors in Udmurtia's Zavyalovsky District.

On the eve of their wedding, they had been drinking spirits when the victim, a mutual acquaintance, called to see them.

A row developed over the unpaid debt, leading the woman to attack him, prosecutors said.

News that his body had been found by other villagers the following morning did not deter the couple from going to the registry office, they added.

The new bride was arrested at her wedding banquet.

If convicted, she faces between five and 15 years in prison.

Bride gives birth at her wedding

July 9, 2012

A bride has given birth only minutes after tying the knot at a town hall wedding in western France, making it more of a "big day" than anticipated.

"It did rather shake us up," admitted Jean-Robert Gachet, mayor of Jallais, after hearing that mother and baby were doing well.

Saturday's ceremony at 11am was nearly called off after the heavily pregnant bride had several false alarms, although her due date was July 14.

The bride was "definitely a bit worn out but we put that down to the stress of the wedding. I tried to hurry it up a bit so that she didn't get too tired," Mr Gachet said.

But only moments after the happy couple exchanged vows and emerged outside to pose for the traditional photos while the guests left for the reception, the bride suddenly felt unwell and went back into the hall.

Emergency services were called but her waters had already broken and she gave birth to a boy on the spot at 12.15pm.

"The cry of the newborn boy was an emotional moment! It was a first for us and for the emergency services," Mr Gachet said.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/world/strangebutt ... z27jSOMd2c

Argentine woman to marry twin sister's killer

A 22-year-old Argentine woman has agreed to marry the man convicted of killing her twin sister two years ago.
Edith Casas insists Victor Cingolani did not murder her sister, a model with whom he also had a relationship.
Cingolani was convicted of Johana Casas' murder and is serving 13 years in prison in the town of Pico Truncado.
The couple have said they plan to wed on Friday at the prison in the southern province of Santa Cruz, to avoid media attention.

Cingolani is reported as telling Argentine media outlets that his relationship with Johana was "casual", but that he was "in love" with Edith.
"We have lots of things in common and she isn't jealous," Argentine newspaper Clarin quoted him as saying.
"We always talk about Johana, about how she was," he said.

Edith maintains that Cingolani was unjustly convicted, saying he is "a guy who would not hurt a fly".
Their mother, Marcelina del Carmen Orellana, said it was clear to her that Edith was "psychologically ill".
Her father, Valentin Casas, told Clarin that he did not want to see his daughter again.

The exact circumstances of 19-year-old Johana Casas' murder, in July 2010, remain a mystery.
The model's body was found with two bullet wounds in a field.
A second man, Marco Diaz, Johana's boyfriend at the time of her murder, is awaiting trial charged with her murder.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-20807241

Zilch5 said:
Bride gives birth at her wedding

July 9, 2012

A bride has given birth only minutes after tying the knot at a town hall wedding in western France, making it more of a "big day" than anticipated.......

Never quite happened when I was a kid in a church choir, but one wedding was called off when the bride went into labour, just before the wedding. We, the Groom & the congregation were in church ready to go when he was called out. He had some words outside then spoke to the vicar & best man, then, they quietly spoke to others, then the congregation all filed out.

As kids, we just thought the groom had been stood up by the bride & it was only some years later when I was talking to the parish clerk, that she mentioned what had happened. She suggested that the excitement of the event, meant that the bride went into labour a few days early.

It seems that the couple had a discreet week day wedding, a couple of weeks later & we at the time still got paid our 2/6 for singing, or in this case, NOT singing.

Wedding delayed as ring-bearing owl goes for a sleep

A wedding service was delayed when an owl bearing rings fell asleep in the church roof.
Darcy the barn owl was meant to fly down the aisle at Holy Cross Church in Sherston, Wiltshire, and deliver rings to Sonia Cadman and Andrew Matley.
Instead the one-year-old owl flew into the church roof to roost. It took about an hour to get her down. :D

Reverend Christopher Bryan said: "We tried all we could to get it down but it just wouldn't budge."
He said the owl seemed "very happy" in the roof and could not be tempted down with a treat.
"It must have been an hour before they got a ladder to rescue it," he said.

The specially-trained owl had been hired by Ms Cadman as a surprise for her fiancee, who is interested in falconry.
Darcy was only trusted with replica rings, with the real bands kept in Mr Matley's pocket.
"The owl was meant to deliver the rings to the glove my husband-to-be was wearing," Ms Cadman said.
"But she just flew straight past the glove and straight up into the top of the church and sat in the rafters.
"She shut her eyes and went to sleep."

Despite the delay, Ms Cadman said it had not spoilt her wedding day, which was at the weekend, "in any shape".
"We thought it was funny and the guests were in absolute stitches," she said. 8)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-24131275

"Hold out your finger and shut your eyes, my darling!"

"That feels like an owl's ring. Can I open them yet?"

"No, revolve it some more." :blissed:

Wedding delayed after man cuts off testicles, storms into church

A COUPLE'S dream wedding day was delayed after a man stormed into the church having just hacked his testicles off.

The vicar and florist were putting finishing touches to All Saints Church, in Hutton, east of London, ahead of the ceremony at the weekend, when the blood-soaked man entered the church, The Brentwood Weekly News reports.

A friend of the bride and groom, who did not wish to be named, turned up for the wedding at around 12.45pm to find a police car outside.

He was told by the vicar that guests were not allowed to enter the church as a man had injured himself.

The guest said the vicar told him "the man had chopped his testicles off with a pair of scissors and was going berserk, chucking chairs around. I'm surprised he didn't pass out.

"When I went in the church, I saw something on the floor which I could only describe as flesh, which I thought was part of his arm but that was one of his testicles."

The police had wanted to close the church because it was a crime scene but the wedding went ahead soon after, with the bride none the wiser to the bizarre events.

"There was a bit of an atmosphere," the witness said. "The bride didn't know anything about it, I'm sure she does now. But it took place. I'm surprised the vicar held it all together."

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/world-news/weddi ... z2fIUh87eX

Can't wait to hear Harry Hill's commentary on the video for, You've Been Framed!

Big problem with nads is that they can't be sewn back on...

"For I know that nothing good dwells within me, that is, in my flesh." Romans 7.18

Best rid then! :?

Ann Duffy jailed for cancelling brother's wedding
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-26135196

Ann Duffy

Magistrate Graham Price said Ann Duffy's conduct was "totally unacceptable"

A woman who cancelled her brother's wedding because she did not like his bride-to-be has been jailed for eight weeks.

Ann Duffy, of Plymouth, was also issued an indefinite restraining order against her brother's wife.

The 50-year-old had previously admitted harassment without violence. Prosecutors compared the case to an EastEnders' plot line.

Magistrate Graham Price said Duffy's conduct was "totally unacceptable".

'Saved from divorce'
Duffy impersonated her now sister-in-law Sandra in a phone call to Plymouth Register Office to tell them to cancel the ceremony.

She made the call on 5 November, 20 days before the wedding was due to go ahead.

The court heard she called her brother David Greatrex and told him: "You had better put this on speakerphone.

"I have saved you from a divorce. I have cancelled your wedding. Would you like me to send you the confirmation email?"

The couple contacted the police to say Duffy had impersonated Sandra and called off the ceremony.

'Cruel, vindictive act'
Prosecutor Will Rose said: "It is like a lift from an EastEnders' plot line, but it was the sad reality that confronted the complainants in this case."

Continue reading the main story

Start Quote

It was a planned, deliberate, spiteful and vindictive offence”

Magistrate Graham Price
He said it was "a cruel and vindictive act which left the couple distressed and distraught".

They were able to reinstate the wedding, which went ahead on the chosen day.

In a police interview, Duffy admitted she had a strained relationship with her sister-in-law who was looking after her mother.

She said she was trying to protect her brother from a marriage to someone she disliked and who she felt was taking away her mother.

Duffy said she only wanted to cause Sandra distress, not her brother.

Miss Rebecca Wood, mitigating, said: "She does not like her sister-in-law and there are ongoing issues between them.

"It is not an excuse. She intended to cause inconvenience and upset."

Magistrate Mr Price said: "It was a planned, deliberate, spiteful and vindictive offence."

Outside the court, Mr Greatrex said: "She was really jealous and kept accusing Sandra of trying to take her brother away."

French Woman Wins Right To Marry Her Dead Fiance
Posted: 02/28/2014 4:09 pm EST Updated: 02/28/2014 4:59 pm EST
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/2 ... 76472.html

A heartbroken French woman will be wed to her dead fiance because of a little-known French law used in such special circumstances.

The woman, who only identified herself as Pascale, was with her fiance for six-and-a-half years before he died of a heart attack. The tragedy occurred just one month before the pair was to be married, The Local reports.

It took her four letters to the president and 20 months of waiting, but a few weeks from now, Pascale will stand before the mayor of her village in St. Omer and marry her fiance Michael.

Watch the video above to learn more.

I can remember reading about a French woman doing this in the early 70s. There was a photo of her standing beside his coffin with her hand on it.

Vid at link.

'Big Fat American Gypsy Wedding' Stars Accused Of Stealing Wedding Rings

HIGH POINT, N.C. (AP) — Police say a couple who appeared on the reality TV series "My Big Fat American Gypsy Wedding" face charges after a real-life wedding in which the rings disappeared.

High Point police say 24-year-old Elvis Boswell and 22-year-old Eden Boswell of Princeton, West Virginia, were arrested this week and charged with felony larceny. Eden Boswell was maid of honor at a wedding where, according to a police report, the bride realized her purse with the wedding rings and $1,000 was missing.

Police say they think Eden Boswell took the purse while her husband waited in their truck. Police say the couple locked themselves out of the truck and officers found the purse, rings and some of the cash.

The couple is being held in Greensboro. It wasn't clear whether they have attorneys.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/1 ... 11293.html

Mangli Munda, 18, Marries Dog To Ward Off Curse
The Huffington Post | By David Moye

Many women don't find out their husband's a dog until after they get married.

Mangli Munda doesn't have that problem.

The 18-year-old, who lives in a small village in the state of Jharkland, India, recently married a stray pooch in order to ward off a curse that her fellow villagers feared would cause the death of any man who married her.

Munda's dad, Sri Amnmunda, said he didn't want to be dogged by the curse any longer than necessary.

"The village elders told us that we should organize the wedding as soon as we can," he told Barcroft TV. "We had to make sure that the evil spell is destroyed."

Amnmunda found a stray pooch named "Sheru" and made him the groom in a traditional and elaborate Hindu wedding, even driving him to the ceremony in a chauffeured limousine. ...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/0 ... 60506.html

COUPLE EXCHANGES VOWS, RAPPEL DOWN MIAMI HOTEL

US: A couple exchanged marriage vows atop a Miami hotel before abseiling down the high-rise building along with hundreds of others for a charity fundraiser.

Melissa Lopez and Chris Cruz won a contest to ‘rappel’ down the JW Marriott Marquis. Before the couple said “I do” dozens of others abseiled down the building, including Emmy Award-winner Joe Morton from the TV show Scandal.

The event was open to the general public, for people who raised at least $1,500.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/world/quir ... 85332.html

The priest at the Co Fermanagh wedding where a man was shot dead has described a sense of tension before the shooting occurred.

The incident happened outside St Mary's Catholic Church in Newtownbutler, near the border. The victim was flown to hospital in police helicopter, where he later died. A second man - aged in his 30s - received non-life-threatening injuries. ...

"It came to a fist-fight, and that tension was there all the time until this unfortunate and tragic incident," he said.

Fr King went ahead with ceremony, after the wedding party asked for the service to take place as planned.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breaki...-where-pair-were-shot-says-priest-661940.html

A Utah woman says she has smashed the world record for catching bridal bouquets at weddings and is seeking recognition for it.

Salt Lake City’s Jamie Jackson, who is still single, submitted an application to Guinness World Records, saying she has caught 46 bouquets since 1996 and has the documentation to prove it.

The current record of 11 bouquets caught by Stephanie Monyak of Pennsylvania has stood since 2004. ...

http://www.irishexaminer.com/world/...-after-46-wedding-bouquet-catches-312930.html

What type of documentation would one normally record a feat such as this upon? Perhaps a modified golf score card? Or a vellum-bound compendium of annotated wedding invitations? Or a collection of guest table place-markers initialled by the throwing bride (perhaps there is an OE word for this, such as chuckwyve?), each little card lovingly stuck into an adapted wedding photo album.

Or alternatively it's just an exaggerated stastic, and in reality she's only caught say 26.

Hopefully the documentation will show if she's had to tackle anyone, so as to wrest the bouquet any from somebody else going for it. And if she catches in her teeth, or suchlike, that would also deserve to be documented in the summary section. All this will come in useful when she's interviewing for a husband, as it'll help to highlight her ability to jump, react quickly, maintain what are probably accurate statistics, and demonstrate comic timing by going public just 4 short of the magic 50 (honestly, you couldn't make it up... :rolleyes:  )

Last edited:
18 February 2015 Last updated at 12:46
Angry Indian bride marries wedding guest

An Indian bride has married a guest at her wedding after her groom-to-be had a seizure and collapsed.
Reports said the groom, Jugal Kishore, was epileptic and he had kept the information from the bride, Indira, and her family.

While Mr Kishore was taken to the hospital, the angry bride decided to switch husbands.
She asked a member of her brother-in-law's family, who was a guest, to step in and marry her instead. He agreed.
The incident took place in Rampur town in the northern Indian state of Uttar Pradesh.

etc...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-31519551

Marriage in India? No love involved, at all.

Third day in shop window for brides in wedding contest
7 September 2015

Two "mannequin brides" have spent more than 48 hours in a bridal shop window in a bid to win thousands of pounds worth of wedding gifts.
Kate Holder, from Holsworthy, Devon and Tara Attis, from St Austell, Cornwall have been modelling their wedding dresses in a 1ft x 3ft window space in Bude since 11:00 BST on Saturday.
The bride-to-be who remains on the platform the longest will win prizes worth £5,000 towards their wedding day.
Both must also sleep in the windows.

The pair are refusing to quit and at the 54-hour mark, Tara, 32, who is getting married in 2017, said both women were "quite stubborn" and she did not see the competition "ending anytime soon".
Her opponent, Kate, 27, is due to be married in February and said winning would add "an extra bit of sparkle to the day".
Win or lose, both women have invited each other to their weddings.

The pair are allowed to take a toilet break every four hours. [I'm relieved about that!]

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-34179949

Is strapless the new All Dresses Must Be Like This?

To be a mere fashion it's gone on for far too long. Used to love looking at wedding dresses :(

Back