• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weddings: Weird, Woes & Disasters

I wouldn't invite vegans to my wedding. I'm worried they would eat the flower arrangements.
It sounds like a “long stay” hospital I worked at in the mid ‘70’s, where the residents were so disturbed they were eating the flowers on the wards. The garden department then grew peppers, which were promptly eaten by much of the nursing staff, who were from Malaysia or Mauritius.

She just wants to jump his bones.

cropped_amanda-teague-with-jack-flag.jpg

The ghost of a Haitian pirate proposed marriage to a Co. Louth woman after she told the spirit she was no longer content with casual sex.

A 45-year-old woman from Co. Louth married the ghost of an 18th-century Haitian pirate after the couple met when she felt his presence laying beside her in bed in 2014. Amanda Teague, from Drogheda, Co. Louth, traveled to international waters to marry her pirate partner Jack through the means of a medium after telling the spirit that she was no longer happy to just have casual sex.

Teague, who has five children from a previous marriage with a living man, believes she has found her “soulmate” in Jack, who was executed over 300 years ago for theft at sea. ...

https://www.irishcentral.com/cultur...018-01-17&utm_medium=Email&utm_source=Mailjet

Marital troubles.

AN IRISH woman who "married" the ghost of a 300-year-old pirate has revealed he nearly killed her after she dumped him.

Heartbroken Amanda Teague says she was forced to undergo an exorcism after Haitian pirate Jack possessed her.

https://www.thesun.ie/news/4141512/woman-married-ghost-pirate-tried-kill-her/

Woman who married ghost pirate hits back at critics:
https://www.independent.ie/entertai...ate-spirit-hits-back-at-critics-36552271.html

With no proof this ghost was ever a real person, historical or otherwise, she's basically married nothing. Which might be better than a lot of men, but seems a lot of trouble to announce yourself single but not interested.
I know we're all going to be surprised by this, but they got a divorce: https://www.unilad.co.uk/life/woman-who-married-ghost-pirate-gets-divorce-because-he-was-using-her

I mean if a woman and her 300 year old pirate ghost husband can't make love work, then what hope do the rest of us have?

{Stifles world-weary laughter ... }

I've got a serious question related to this story. Amanda obtained (or substantively emulated) a recognizable marriage via a ceremony conducted in international waters. In other words, the only legal foundation for the marriage is maritime law and relevant international agreements extending recognition to marriages at sea.

What, then, is the analogous legal context or foundation for anything resembling a legal divorce?

I'm pretty sure there's no tradition of getting a recognized divorce in international waters (e.g., by a vessel's captain's pronouncement). Otherwise, couples would need only cruise out beyond the territorial limits and thereby save a bunch of money.

I'm not sure any nation makes provision for divorce in a situation involving a non-responding spousal spirit (even if they recognized the maritime marriage in the first place).

To the extent the marriage at sea afforded the marriage any legal weight or substance - isn't she stuck with it?

{Stifles world-weary laughter ... }

I've got a serious question related to this story. Amanda obtained (or substantively emulated) a recognizable marriage via a ceremony conducted in international waters. In other words, the only legal foundation for the marriage is maritime law and relevant international agreements extending recognition to marriages at sea.

What, then, is the analogous legal context or foundation for anything resembling a legal divorce?

I'm pretty sure there's no tradition of getting a recognized divorce in international waters (e.g., by a vessel's captain's pronouncement). Otherwise, couples would need only cruise out beyond the territorial limits and thereby save a bunch of money.

I'm not sure any nation makes provision for divorce in a situation involving a non-responding spousal spirit (even if they recognized the maritime marriage in the first place).

To the extent the marriage at sea afforded the marriage any legal weight or substance - isn't she stuck with it?
Also... is the ghost legally obliged to make a divorce settlement?

What, like give her the life force back, or at least half of it?
What gets me is, knowing what she said she went thro, her friend is doing the same thing

Seeing as how the ghost didn't exist, she can say anything she wants. She could say it died on its way back to its home planet.

An upcoming wedding, assuming she doesn't call it off (or assuming the chandelier doesn't leave her hanging)...

Woman who ‘dated’ the Statue of Liberty is now settling down with a chandelier

A woman who ‘had a long-distance relationship with the Statue of Liberty’ is now engaged to a chandelier.

Amanda Liberty, 35, from London, describes herself an an “objectophile”.

An objectophile is somebody who has strong feeling of love, commitment or lust to items or structures.

The woman has been dating the 100-year old light fixture since 2017 said on Facebook that her love for the chandelier “just happened”.
https://uk.style.yahoo.com/woman-engaged-to-chandelier-112207763.html?

She's an attention-seeker.

Just came across this story, apparently he hounded her into it (groan, I know, I know)...

dog.jpg

Woman marries her dog on live television
A woman has tied the knot with her canine companion during a bizarre ceremony on British morning television.
During an interview on Tuesday, 49-year-old Elizabeth Hoad told hosts Eamonn Holmes and Ruth Langsford on ITV's 'This Morning' that after 220 dates and four failed engagements she has essentially given up on trying to find a man and has instead settled for her Golden Retriever, Logan.

"He's saved me and I've saved him," she said. "I was broken before I got him."

The segment was then followed up by a firmly tongue-in-cheek wedding ceremony which saw Hoad marry the canine groom - who was dressed in a suit and top hat - live on air.
https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/329405/woman-marries-her-dog-on-live-television

Is it true that a marriage has to be consummated? and can otherwise be set aside? or has that been repealed?

Maybe it never existed!

Is it true that a marriage has to be consummated? and can otherwise be set aside? or has that been repealed?

Maybe it never existed!
Hmm....

Wikipedia says "under section 12 of the Matrimonial Causes Act 1973, a refusal or inability to consummate a marriage is a ground of annulment in England and Wales, but this only applies to heterosexual marriage, because Paragraph 4 of schedule 4 of the Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Act 2013 specifically excludes non-consummation as a ground for the annulment of a same-sex marriage." Heterospecies marriage is not specifically addressed, but the couple in this case are of different sexes.

Is it true that a marriage has to be consummated? and can otherwise be set aside? or has that been repealed? ...

There's no single or universal answer ... It varies, depending upon the jurisdiction and type or aspect of marriage (civil vs. common law vs. religious). For example, in the context of most Western secular nations ...

Consummation is not a requirement for a civil marriage to be legally established, but there are jurisdictions in which consummation is a prerequisite for establishing common law marital status. Annulment of a civil marriage based on non-consummation is not automatic, but achievable at the discretion of either of the married folks. Third-party / institutional annulment or dissolution of religious marital status for non-consummation is possible within some religions (e.g., Roman Catholicism).

There's no single or universal answer ... It varies, depending upon the jurisdiction and type or aspect of marriage (civil vs. common law vs. religious). For example, in the context of most Western secular nations ...

Consummation is not a requirement for a civil marriage to be legally established, but there are jurisdictions in which consummation is a prerequisite for establishing common law marital status. Annulment of a civil marriage based on non-consummation is not automatic, but achievable at the discretion of either of the married folks. Third-party / institutional annulment or dissolution of religious marital status for non-consummation is possible within some religions (e.g., Roman Catholicism).

Furthermore, in English law if one of a married couple tells the other they will no longer have sex with them, they are then 'separated'. If they go on to divorce proceedings the legal separation dates from the time when this was said. My divorce solicitor told me this.

At least she didn't put the ashes in the wedding cake.

A bride whose father died four months before her wedding still had him with her on the day after his ashes were incorporated into her acrylic nails.

Charlotte Watson and her husband Nick brought their wedding forward when Mick Barber's cancer spread. When he died shortly before the big day, Charlotte's cousin, who works as a nail artist, had the idea to use his ashes in her design.

"It really felt like he was there," said Charlotte, from Stoke-on-Trent.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-49933694

Back