• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weird Weekend 2023

Where is Glazebrook?

The-League-of-Gentleman-Royston-Vasey-sign.jpg

Tickets arrived today, which is a great start!

OK: that's overcome the hurdle of the current UK Postal Challenges - if it's not eternal industrial action, or the current ongoing Royal Mail cyber security debacle, it's my hipster postie who seems to work the duty hours of a vampire.

To ensure that I actually do now get to the venue IRL, maybe I need to begin thinking about rail strikes. Will they still be happening in 10 weeks time? Logic says yes (if not the rail operator, then the rail network: oh I don't know)....in which case perhaps I shall need to fly down.

(@JahaRa: the simplest geographic guidance I can give to you regarding Rixton-with-Glazebrook, is to say that it's exactly not in Warrington nor is it in Manchester, but: it's almost either in the Mersey or the Ship Canal. And a very nice place it is too.

Screenshot 2023-01-16 160540.jpg

Hmm.... I could always drive, I suppose.

Be warned, first-time Weekenders: Rixton-with-Glazebrook is the true Back of Beyond.
There is nothing close by, catering-wise, for visitors. No nearby cafes or restaurants, not even a takeaway.

On a weekend away, for the Saturday evening and both lunchtimes I'd assume there'd be at least a modest hot meal or substantial snack available for ready money. There's nothing.

The village has one community shop which sells a few baguettes. It closes at 6pm.

You can drive off and find something but it's not handy, and if you do, everything closes early.

We stayed at the hotel across the road, the Black Swan, which does pricey meals that take a while to cook. No good for a conference lunch.

Their restaurant was already booked up in the evening so Techy and I (and others) didn't even have dinner to look forward to. Seems it's always busy at weekends.
Beer and peanuts it was, then.

The other village pub, Ye Olde Red Lion, hasn't updated its website in nearly two years. Might be worth looking into anyway, although the Weekenders gather in the Swan on the Saturday night.

The village hall venue sells basic hot and cold drinks and biscuits; no sandwiches or pastries and no hot food, not even soup.

On our first visit we didn't know all this. Having expected to dine out or at least buy food, we were unprepared and found ourselves reduced to scrabbling around the car for snacks and Polo mints.

My plan this year is to have breakfast before we drive over and then pick up a supermarket Meal Deal on the way for lunch.
We'll have the hotel breakfast on the Sunday morning and there's a Tesco garage a few miles away from the venue which we may patronise early on for another scrumptious midday cold repast.

Saturday night, we'll look for a pizza or Chinese/Indian delivery. Haven't found those locally yet so I'll be packing a kettle and some Pot Noodles. Maybe a box of crisps. Cup-a-Soups.

Have to say that it's the worst place for getting fed that I've ever visited.

So my advice is: bring food or be prepared to do without.

We'll be driving over so can give lifts to and from the station if people can squeeze in next to the mountain of food we're taking.

Have to say that it's the worst place for getting fed that I've ever visited.
I am still owe either you or Techy a banana from last year (I was nearly ready to eat the floorboards at one point, but a bit of fasting is probably a good thing).

What some enterprising soul need to bring along is a roast pig on a spit, with buttered baps. They would make a fortune!

Tickets or not, I'm still only at an 80% chance of getting the time off for the Weekend. Hopefully I'll have certainties on that by the middle of next week.
There is nothing close by, catering-wise, for visitors.
Maybe nobody will invest, due to fears as to exactly what the HS2 project will bring (I believe Rixton/Glazebrook is in or very near to the path of the planned railway). Spirits may need to be summoned, to keep the developers at bay....

What some enterprising soul need to bring along is a roast pig on a spit, with buttered baps. They would make a fortune!
A burger or sandwich van would've been besieged. The venue itself could easily sell 50 plates of sarnies.

People who arrive by public transport don't have a car to carry food or go foraging in. They must be even more dismayed than we were at the lack of sustenance.

I'm thinking of it as a glamping operation, y'know, with somewhere to sleep but fending for ourselves food-wise.
We will be packing the banger with emergency Pot Noodles and snacks to sustain unwary fellow Weekenders.

It'll be like the Trans-Mongolian Railway all over again. :cool:

You young 'uns today can't seem to go five minutes without stuffing your faces! I can go hours without eating or drinking anything.

You young 'uns today can't seem to go five minutes without stuffing your faces! I can go hours without eating or drinking anything.
It's not about constant snacking. The problem is that there is no food to be had. No cafes, bakeries, corner shops, delis, supermarkets, burger vans, fast food outlets, pizzerias, nothing. Nada.
It's a tiny village so you wouldn't expect much, but nothing at all is a different proposition.

First time, we'd taken supermarket sarnies and snacks in case we fancied a nibble between the event catering and our anticipated Saturday evening sumptuous pub dinner.

Turned out, that's all we had to eat. Nothing was available until breakfast next morning; lunchtime Saturday to 8am Sunday.
The pub we stayed at doesn't even do bar food like sarnies or pies.

OK, we could have driven off somewhere for food but that's not how it's supposed to work. When you get together with old and new Fortean friends you want to sit together and eat, drink and chat. It'd've been nice to be able to hear everyone over the rumbling of stomachs.

We definitely wouldn't go again if we had to travel there by public transport and couldn't carry food or go looking for it.

This year we'll be either ordering pizza/curry or if that's no good, popping out to Tesco for tea, and possibly taking orders for people without cars.
It's that or the nearby cemetery, can't be too fussy. I may take a shovel.

The UFOs meet-up is held at the seaside where there's plenty of choice for food.
In fact, I seem to remember Techy overdoing the Carvery and going a bit green, which caused a minor flap in the conference hall. :wink2:

It's not about constant snacking. The problem is that there is no food to be had. No cafes, bakeries, corner shops, delis, supermarkets, burger vans, fast food outlets, pizzerias, nothing. Nada.
It's a tiny village so you wouldn't expect much, but nothing at all is a different proposition.

First time, we'd taken supermarket sarnies and snacks in case we fancied a nibble between the event catering and our anticipated Saturday evening sumptuous pub dinner.

Turned out, that's all we had to eat. Nothing was available until breakfast next morning; lunchtime Saturday to 8am Sunday.
The pub we stayed at doesn't even do bar food like sarnies or pies.

OK, we could have driven off somewhere for food but that's not how it's supposed to work. When you get together with old and new Fortean friends you want to sit together and eat, drink and chat. It'd've been nice to be able to hear everyone over the rumbling of stomachs.

We definitely wouldn't go again if we had to travel there by public transport and couldn't carry food or go looking for it.

This year we'll be either ordering pizza/curry or if that's no good, popping out to Tesco for tea, and possibly taking orders for people without cars.
It's that or the nearby cemetery, can't be too fussy. I may take a shovel.

The UFOs meet-up is held at the seaside where there's plenty of choice for food.
In fact, I seem to remember Techy overdoing the Carvery and going a bit green, which caused a minor flap in the conference hall. :wink2:
There's only one thing to do then;
cp.jpg

The old Widnes to Runcorn bridge certainly did that to me.
A relation of mine who seems to have mild undiagnosed epilepsy worked as a BR guard along the Scouse Line.
When the train crosses the Runcorn railway bridge, the light flickering through the metalwork can give a Strobe effect.

It sometimes caught him out, so he'd walk into a carriage, shout 'Tickets PLEASE!' and pass out. :chuckle:

It was the bit about the proximity to Warrington and Manchester that put me off. What kind of hell is that?
It's a lovely area. We keep meaning to go cycling around there, hopefully taking in some Manchester Ship Canal locks.

I have messaged the organisers on Facebook to point out that there is no food and they should look after their guests better. :nods:
Mentioned giving out fruit and snacks to hungry Weekenders.
Wonder if I'll hear back?

There are takeaway shops within a couple of miles so I'll be ringing them later to make sure they'll deliver to the pub.
The little Tesco near them is open from 6am. If I'm up sharpish on the Sunday morning I'll nip over for a lunchtime snack.

Tell tha' what, if I went camping up a Welsh mountain I wouldn't expect food to be this much trouble. :mad:

Why is it organised in such an inhospitable and inaccessible area?
Excellent question, Grashopper. :cool:

I reckon it's cheap, and possibly accessible for the organisers. At least one lives nearby.

The hall itself is very nice and the speakers are interesting. Everything is OK except for the starvation regime.

I often walk past the Pasty Shop at Euston and consider taking home some crusty Cornish goodness for Techy. :)

Then I remember their pasties are £7-odd and there are nice ones in Tesco. :bthumbup:
Really?.. I’ve not seen any in Tesco round my way. Ginsters yes but I’d put them in the ‘OK in a hurry if there’s nothing else around’ bag. I’d struggle to call them ‘nice’. Are there others?

How much!!!
£7 and pence. If you want their meal deal, add a small cold drink (juice or water) for just under £2 more.

The nearby Sainsburys does a hot or cold main, snack and cold drink for under £4.
You can get a little curry to stink the carriage out on your train home.
Works for me.

Follow this page for more travellers' food tips.

£7 and pence. If you want their meal deal, add a small cold drink (juice or water) for just under £2 more.

The nearby Sainsburys does a hot or cold main, snack and cold drink for under £4.
You can get a little curry to stink the carriage out on your train home.
Works for me.

Follow this page for more travellers' food tips.
I'd want a two week holiday in Barbados and 20 woodbines for that!

Back