• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weird Weekend North 2019: Rixton-With-Glazebrook

mikfez

Generally Bewildered
Saturday -
MC - Richard Freeman with his hand up a chimps back passage.
  1. Bob Gandy - A Miscellany of Merseyside Mysteries - Phantom Hitchhikers
  2. Nathan Jackson - A very detailed and comprehensive look at Big Hairy Monsters The World Over
  3. Glen Vaudrey - An excellent example of a Fortean Investigation into the Risley Silverman Mystery
  4. Christopher Josiffe and Chris Hill - Gef The Talking Mongoose - complete with voice acting
  5. James Newton - A presentation on Dogmen
  6. Richard Freeman - The Hunting of the Gul
There were several stalls (books, ouija boards, t-shirts, art, pills and potions) including Hunt Emerson.

Sunday was spent mostly looking at the back of a Premiere Inn toilet door but would have been -
  1. Andy Ross -Durham Puma
  2. Steve Jones - Ghosts I Have Met
  3. Steve Mera - UFO Portals
  4. Bob Fischer - Wiffle Lever to Full
Escargot will be able to comfirm what happened on Sunday.

Overall a very well attended conference and highly recommended as a Uncon substitute.

After the day's events people gathered in the pub across the road and good chats were had. Heard some cracking stories!
The ones Steve Jones told in his talk were mild compared to the ones we beat out of him in the pub.

However, I'm wondering if we could organise a slightly more convenient way of sharing our admirably frightening anecdotes.

How about a room where people could sit in a circle and each take a turn to tell about an experience we've had? Everyone loves to tell them and hear others'. We could take our drinks in and dip into and out of the circle, nothing formal.

Techy and I are planning to go to the Lapis conference in November. Will we see anyone we know there?

Gordon Bennett, that was an intense talk. Possibly too much information for a newbie to take in.

I saw him at the Hull UFO Conference last year - intense is a good word for him but very interesting.

Looks good (the Facebook futurescope app photos of the 2020 event help set the scene :-/ ....)

I can't see me shown in the pics, but I still might pop down to the weekend, especially if I'm already in Lancs (the map shows Rixton With Glazebrook to be just 25mm off the M6, so that's ok)
2019-11-04 06.29.15.png

tl:dr - I somehow KNEW we wouldn't be there again this year.

Here's a funny do. We enjoyed this event last year and resolved to make it a regular feature of our Fortean lives.

However, even though we promised to return this year, I knew we wouldn't be there.

I didn't think it would be just one of us going because the other was dead or whatever! It wasn't like that. I just knew we wouldn't be there but not through any personal catastrophe.

This feeling was so strong that I couldn't even bring myself to book time off work until early February, by which time I found that I could only have the Saturday. I still didn't feel disappointed about it. Techy was meanwhile trying to book the hotel and having trouble with that too for some reason.

So eventually I had to break it to Techy that I could only make the one day, and HE confessed that he couldn't seem to get us a room for the night. We'd been chatting with other conference-goers and were keen to meet up but it was all going wrong, but I was still thinking never mind, it doesn't matter...

Yesterday it was announced that the event was cancelled because of the pandemic. I said 'yeah, though so!'

I was right; we're not going! However, I didn't foresee that nobody else is either!

tl:dr - I somehow KNEW we wouldn't be there again this year.
Yesterday it was announced that the event was cancelled because of the pandemic. I said 'yeah, though so!'
Nice bit of foresight there.
What a shame - thanks for posting that Escargot.

Would have been a great weekend too.
Sadly I don't get the useful type of foresight, like the name of the winner of the 2.30 at Kempton or those special 6 numbers.
I would have probably turned up if it hadn't been for your post as I don't usually bother with Facebook - thanks

I would have probably turned up if it hadn't been for your post as I don't usually bother with Facebook - thanks

Wow, that's great!

cough I mean, glad to be of service.

Last edited:
It would be rude of me to mention The Mighty Emperor (formerly of this parish) and to mention how he turned up a week early for UnConvention in London one year...
It would be rude of me to mention The Mighty Emperor (formerly of this parish) and to mention how he turned up a week early for UnConvention in London one year...

Heh!

I was at a week long seminar/training course in Strasbourg and someone turned up a week late, the night before we departed! She had traveled from Norway.

It's back on :)
Glen Vaudrey announced it's reappearance in the CFZ's On The Track Youtube link at around the 14:40 mark.
It's planned for the 12/13th September but I couldn't make out where he said it would be.

Back