• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weird Wisconsin

Mighty_Emperor

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I think it is is insteresting that it is central WI that is the weirdest.

Fri, Apr 23, 2004

Conference to examine weird Wisconsin goings-on

By KATE GARSOMBKE
Journal staff

Paranormal researcher Chad Lewis can't explain it, but he says there's just more weird stuff going on in central Wisconsin than the rest of the state.

"I'm not sure if it's stranger than the rest of the state, or if people feel more comfortable coming forward. I'm convinced there is something strange in that area, just from what we've received," he said.

Lewis collects stories of hauntings and other odd phenomena from around the state, then he investigates - and sometimes disproves - the stories and publishes the findings on his Web site. On Saturday, he and two other people who have delved into the unknown will explore some of the weirdest paranormal cases from Stevens Point, Wausau and Wisconsin Rapids at the Unexplained Conference.

Lewis, who has a master's degree in applied psychology, considers himself a "skeptic, not a cynic" when it comes to ghosts, aliens, bigfoot, werewolves and weird weather phenomena. "From a psychology standpoint, it's 'What is it about our belief system that makes us believe we've been visited by an alien or we've seen our dead relatives?'," he said. "I'd like to keep an open mind, but not open so far my brain falls out."
There have been about 100 reported ghost cases in central Wisconsin, but Lewis's favorite local tale is the legend of Bloody Bride Bridge. A bride supposedly died on the bridge that crosses the Plover River near Jordan Park on Highway 66. The story says that drivers who stop their cars on the bridge and look in the back seat of their vehicle will see the bride.

Lewis said he couldn't find any official records of a bride dying on that stretch of road.

Tyler Drummond, a 20-year-old University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point freshman from Junction City, recently e-mailed Lewis about a burned-down house in the town of Dewey on Oakwood Drive that's reportedly haunted. "Supposedly, a family used to live there and the husband went crazy and killed his family," he said.

Drummond investigates reports of ghosts in his spare time. He takes a video camera with him, and his 16-year-old brother and a friend usually come along to check out places that are allegedly haunted. So far, he hasn't captured anything odd on tape.

"I believe in ghosts and there's a possibility you could see a ghost," he said. But he also thinks that if a spirit came from another dimension it "wouldn't want to give itself away."
The adage among ghost investigators is that "if you want to get rid of ghosts in your house, invite a paranormal researcher over," said Todd Roll, a UW-Marathon County reference librarian who investigates ghosts in Wausau.

But Roll, 39, who makes up one of two members of the Wausau Paranormal Research Society, said he's recorded what could be ghost activity at the Grand Theater in Wausau. He took a photo at the theater that later showed an unexplained mist, and he recorded what sounds like whispering and a voice that says to get out.

A lot of buildings in downtown Wausau come with ghost stories, but he hasn't found any unexplained phenomena. Still, Roll gives tours of "haunted" downtown places in October.

Roll also investigates haunted homes, but he said he thinks there probably is more ghost activity in the city's center because it's the oldest part of Wausau. "People have been living there the longest. Native Americans camped there before the city of Wausau was there," he said. "Over a time, you're going to have tragedies, people are going to die."

-------------

IF YOU GO

The Unexplained Conference starts at 7 p.m. Saturday with doors opening at 6:30 p.m. at the Stevens Point Holiday Inn Convention and Expo Center, 1501 Northpoint Drive. Chad Lewis, Richard Hendricks and Linda Godfrey will present strange cases from around the state. Admission is .

ON THE WEB

Richard Hendricks' Weird Wisconsin Web site: http://www.weird-wi.com
Chad Lewis's Web site: http://www.chadlewis.com
Wausau Paranormal Research Society: http://www.pat-wausau.org

http://www.wisinfo.com/journal/spjlocal/283284771606441.shtml

Emps

My folks have a cabin about 40 miles south of Stevens Point. There have been some strange events there.

Ayup. Lotta strange stuff goes on up there in Dairyland. Most of it on friday/saturday nights, curiously... :eek:

That's not strange, that's normal. Do bear in mind that this is the region that gave us Ed Gein .

To balance that out, it also gave us Aldo Leopold, the man who coined the term "ecology" and whose text books on wildlife management are still in use. His "A Sand County Almanac" is a classic in the field of American nature writing.

Dragging this thread back to topic somewhat, would anyone happen to have any information on a possible monster in Lake Michigan? I was convinced that there was one, but the only reference I found was here, and even trawling through the Milwaukee Public Library's 001 section didn't turn up anything more :(

And of course, this place can't go unmentioned ;)

Seems to me that Peter Costello mentioned some such in his "Lake Monsters" but I can't find my copy to confirm it. I do recall that pioneers in the region had reported an unusually large number of lake monsters. But the reports died out early.

Could the reports have been inspired by the habits of Northern Pike or Muskies? I have seen northern rolling on the surface of a alke at evening. Adn they do attain some great size. I heard estimates of over 6 feet from reliable witnesses. And this from a 126 acre lake. So who knows what might have greeted the first white people in the region?

I realy should have mentioned Lizard Mound County Park, north of Milwaukee ( http://www.co.washington.wi.us/landuse/lizard mound.html
). While there are many good sites of 'mound-builders' culture in the central US (sadly many have them have been destroyed), that is one of the truly outstanding ones. Two dozen animal effigies on top of what I believe is a unique geological formation.

Slightly OT, but Cahokia Mounds State Park in Illinois (across the Misissippi river from St. Louis, MO) is stunning as well.

Here's all the data I have on Forteana in Wisconsin. It's a timeline, as usual ;) But only goes from 1788 to 1979.

Anther report:

Thu, Apr 29, 2004

Paranormal researcher finds Wausau strange

A motivational speaker preached self-help in a large conference room while hotel guests splashed around in an indoor pool nearby. Nothing out of the ordinary for a Saturday evening at the Holiday Inn Convention and Expo Center in Stevens Point.

But in a smaller conference room, a capacity crowd of 168 listened to stories of unexplained phenomena in haunted locales around Wisconsin.

"We don't often think that these things happen right in our back yard," paranormal expert Chad Lewis said. Every year, he organizes a half-dozen conferences in Wisconsin on the unexplained.

Our haunted back yard includes a business in Oshkosh, a back road in Portage County and the historic Grand Theater in downtown Wausau. Strange things happen all the time, and who's to say where urban legend ends and spooky reality begins?
Lewis, 29, still asks himself that question after 10 years as an amateur paranormal investigator. He's a skeptic with an open mind.

"I go on letting the evidence lead me one way or the other," he said Saturday in response to a question from the audience about his belief in the phenomena he investigates.

His presentation is half seminar, half performance, and when speaking to a mixed audience of believers and cynics, his voice takes on the dramatic cadence of a camp counselor telling a ghost story around a fire.

The cast of characters includes phantom children, phantom men with lanterns, phantom witches, phantom dogs and even a phantom 8-foot headless chicken. Lewis, who earns his living as a grant writer for a nonprofit group in Eau Claire, punctuates his stories with a slide show of the supposedly haunted places. The audience braces itself for a ghost sighting with each new slide.

He said his investigations almost always fail to turn up evidence of the paranormal, but people still swear that the house on the corner is haunted or the fallen tree is a portal to hell. Wausau is no different from the rest of Wisconsin.

"There's something strange about Wausau," Lewis said later in a phone interview. "But it could be said that every place is that strange."
For paranormal problems here, Todd Roll is on the case.

Roll, 39, a University of Wisconsin Marathon County reference librarian, has been investigating the unexplained for nearly five years and is a member of the Wausau Paranormal Research Society, which conducts tours of haunted sites in downtown Wausau every October.

The society's Web site, at pat-wausau.org, identifies the Marathon County Historical Society, Wausau Downtown Airport and Shepherd & Schaller Sporting Goods as haunted landmarks. But the Grand Theater is Wausau's paranormal claim to fame.

"There are many stories from the people that work there of seeing this apparition of a man in the stage area or up in the balcony," Roll said.

His name is Larry.

"I've met Larry," Performing Arts Foundation Executive Director Jim O'Connell said with more than a hint of mirth.

Larry Beltz, a former stage manager at the Grand Theater, has been dead for more than a decade. But O'Connell and others say they hear, see or sense him in the theater.

Dorothy Korzilius, 82, is an exception. She hasn't bumped into any ghosts during her 20 years volunteering as an usher at the Grand Theater.
"No, I haven't," she said, "but I have heard rumors."

http://www.wausaudailyherald.com/wdhlocal/286100010667141.shtml

Also the Weird Wisconsin column here is always worth reading:

http://www.wisconsinite.net/ae/weird/

JerryB: Thanks for that - great stuff.

Emps

Interested In UFOs, Ghosts, Weird Wisconsin Paranormal Activity?

Paranormal Researchers Meet Aug. 29

POSTED: 9:41 am CDT July 26, 2004
UPDATED: 1:36 pm CDT July 26, 2004

JANESVILLE, Wis. -- Want to explore the dark realm of paranormal topics such as ghosts, UFOs, weird Wisconsin topics, psychics and much more?

The Southern Wisconsin Paranormal Research Group hosts its 3rd Annual Paranormal Conference Aug. 29 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the Best Western Conference Center in Janesville.

Wisconsin authors including Linda Godfrey, Richard Hendricks, Heidi Levy, Chad Lewis and Jay Rath will be speaking on a variety of paranormal topics such as ghosts, hauntings, strange creatures, UFOs and aliens, psychics, weird Wisconsin stories and much more. A variety of vendors will also be at the conference selling and promoting their unique products and services.

Advance tickets are and are available at ParanormalResearchGroup.com. Tickets will also be available at the door for .

The Southern Wisconsin Paranormal Research Group was founded in 1999 by paranormal investigator Jennifer Lauer. The group researches, investigates and documents paranormal activity throughout the Midwest. The group offers free services to the community and may be contacted at: http://www.ParanormalResearchGroup.com , by e-mail at: [email protected] or by phone at: (608) 931-3633.

http://www.channel3000.com/news/3577533/detail.html

lopaka: "It's been mentioned on these boards before (though darned if I can find the thread), but the book Wisconsin Death Trip http://www.wisconsindeathtrip.com is another aspect of weird Wisconsin."

I mentioned the fillum in the Coincidences thread some time back. It coincided with the
tv showing of another fillum which dealt with 19th Century fatalities en route to Wisconsin!

WDT has come out on DVD here this year and had some full-page ads in FT.

I like the way the All Movie Guide puts it:

"Key words: arson, diptheria, murder, epidemic, hostage, madness, small-town, violence,
crime-spree, decade, economic-problems.

Tones: Lurid, Disturbing, Eerie, Grim, Harsh."

In other words Strongly Recommended! ;)

I watched the Wisconsin Death Trip DVD last night. Recommend it highly, buying the book would probably be better value but only because you get more stories and pictures.

If you're like me and you're fascinated by ordinary people who get caught in the head lights for a few seconds before disappearing into obscurity you will love it.

"Key words: arson, diptheria, murder, epidemic, hostage, madness, small-town, violence,

Sounds like my university course! In all seriousness- a history of smallpox and a study of serial killers were the highlights of last year. :)

Friday, August 27, 2004 7:26 PM

Twilight Zone comes to Janesville

By Amelia Buragas
August 27, 2004

It's hard to find a good electrostatic field meter.

You can get one by mail order or over the Internet, but then you have to wait weeks for a package to come in the mail.

And buying one without trying it out is like getting a mail order bride. You don't know if it's compatible until you get it, and then it's a hassle to return.

This Sunday, however, you can try out the latest electrostatic field meters and all the other gear a respectable ghost hunter needs at the 2004 Paranormal Conference in Janesville, hosted by the Southern Wisconsin Paranormal Research Group.

The third annual event promises to be an interesting and entertaining day for skeptics and believers alike. In addition to vendors hawking everything from voodoo dolls to aura photographs, there are five speakers who are experts in their fields. They will cover a variety of paranormal subjects, from UFO sightings to strange creatures to famous Wisconsin psychics.

Madison resident Richard Hendricks, associate director of the Wisconsin Paranormal Research Center and founder of the "Weird Wisconsin" Web site (http://www.weird-wi.com), will speak after lunch.

Hendricks acknowledges that Sunday afternoons in August are often better suited for cruising the lakes or napping under a tree than for dark stories or technical ramblings, and plans a light and entertaining talk to capture the audience's attention.The shy, unassuming man leads a sort of double life. During the week he does legal research for one of Madison's largest law firms. On weekends he treks across the state investigating tales of the weird.

This duality is apparent when talking with Hendricks. He is soft spoken and says that at cocktail parties he prefers to stand in a corner and watch.

When he starts talking about the paranormal, however, everything changes. Hendricks' face lights up and his body becomes animated. He clearly gets as much enjoyment from telling these stories as rapt audiences do from hearing them.

But despite his passion for wonderfully weird stories, Hendricks describes himself as a skeptic.

"People gravitate toward yes or no, but I love the ambiguity," Hendricks said. "I believe that people have experiences. That doesn't make me believe that ghosts are the spirits of dead people. I think the jury is out on that. I think people run into problems when they are believers, because they stop looking at the evidence."

At the conference, Hendricks will relate tales collected for his upcoming book "Weird Wisconsin, Your Travel Guide to Wisconsin's Local Legends and Best Kept Secrets." He is co-authoring the book, which is due to be released next May, with Linda Godfrey, another of the conference's speakers.

One story that might come up on Sunday is the Legend of Haunchyville.

Never heard of it? It's popular among high school students in southeast Waukesha County. The story goes that there is a hidden town inhabited entirely by little people, complete with waist-high stop signs and miniature houses.

There are several theories on how this pint-sized place came to be. There is the plausible - retired circus midgets settled in the area. There is the enchanted - a farmer tore up a stump and hundreds of little people came pouring out of the ground.

There is even the sinister twist. A homeless man was found strung up in a barn with hundreds of baby-sized footprints in the dirt beneath him and a bloody suicide note pinned to his chest - a warning, perhaps, to anyone who would disturb the quiet country living of these apparently vicious little folk.

Hendricks says that looking for "Haunchies" is a modern-day snipe hunt for local youth. After all, he says, "what greater thrill is there than riling up a house of midgets?"

Be forewarned, however: If you go looking for Haunchyville, stay off of private property or risk a ticket for trespassing. As for the true origins of Haunchyville and whether or not anyone has ever found it, well, you'll have to go to the conference to find out.

In addition to local folk tales, Hendricks collects all sorts of true, albeit odd, stories - a number of which involve objects falling from the sky. ("A lot of things fall from the sky," said Hendricks.)

A hunk of Sputnik IV landed near Manitowoc in 1962 and ignited an international dispute. In 2002, a Fox Valley woman had a dark premonition, which came true after fish fell on her house.

Hendricks can also tell you about how a "ghost" was expelled from an English castle and why some people see deformed figures walk through empty rooms.

He says he is drawn to legends and ghost stories because of what they tell us about ourselves.

"There has been a suburbanization of the soul," Hendricks said. "We have removed the mystery and danger. We live in these safe little communities, but the world doesn't always work the way we expect it to. When these things happen, it forces people to reexamine their beliefs."

http://www.madison.com/tct/mad/local//index.php?ntid=9091

Ahhh, Lizard Mound National Park (mentioned on the first page).
Been there, but never could work out quite how it was decided that the mounds were meant to be shapes of animals. I've seen slugs that looked more like panthers than the mounds did.
Also went to the Natural History Museum in Milwaukee, where I seem to remember that the Pre-History ran up to the 1800s - fairly weird I thought.
Beautiful part of the world though

Mist, you need to see the mounds from above. Some look pretty cool.

They are impressive and I bet they do look cool from the air (I wasn't allowed to take the broomstick through customs though ;) ), and the Park itself it lovely too. I just couldn't work out how it had been decided that they were meant to be animal mounds, or even what it meant if they were animal mounds.

Posted Oct. 15, 2004

haunts

Out-of-this-world conference tries to explain unexplained

By Jeff Potts
of The Northwestern

Simply put, there is no explanation for the stories Chad Lewis is going to share tonight in Appleton.

But that’s his point.

“After 10 years, thousands of cases, and traveling much of the world I’m left with more questions than answers,” said Lewis, a paranormal investigator and host of “The Unexplained” television and radio programs. “If these are not ghosts, UFOs, or weird animals—what is it about our belief system that makes people believe they’ve seen something? On the other side of the coin, if they do exist what would that mean to us as humans?”

Tonight, Lewis hosts The Unexplained Conference, which will present research into a variety of supernatural topics including: a haunted pub in Green Bay, UFOs over Appleton, crop circles in Wausau, gnomes in Oshkosh and the werewolf of Wisconsin.

Lewis said what makes this conference unique is its accessibility to the general public.

“It’s for the person who says ‘I’m not sure I believe any of this, but I’m really curious,’” he said. “Even if you are skeptical, come and see the research. Look at all sides and come to your own conclusions.”

Joining Lewis will be author Linda Godfrey, who has researched werewolf sightings around the state, and Richard Hendricks, creator of the Weird Wisconsin Web site.

Following the official presentations, visitors are welcome to share their own stories of unusual encounters, with the experts and audience. The program starts at 7 p.m. inside the Best Western Midway Hotel in Appleton. Admission is .

http://www.wisinfo.com/northwestern/news/features/stories/features_18210202.shtml

don't shoot the cat

http://www.dontshootthecat.com/

Question 62 - Feral Cats

Studies have been done in Wisconsin concerning effects of free roaming feral domestic cats. These studies showed free roaming feral domestic cats killed millions of small mammals, song and game birds. Estimates range from a minimum of 47 million up to 139 million songbirds are killed each year. Free roaming feral domestic cats are not a native species in Wisconsin. The above mentioned cats do however kill native species therefore reducing native species.

At present free roaming feral domestic cats are not defined as a protected or unprotected species. Thus Wisconsin should move to define free roaming feral domestic cats, as any domestic type cat which is not under the owner's direct control, or whose owner has not placed a collar on such cat showing it to be their property. All such defined free roaming feral domestic cats shall be listed as an unprotected species. In so doing Wisconsin would be defining and listing free roaming feral domestic cats.

62. Do you favor the DNR take steps to define free roaming feral domestic cats by the previously mentioned definition and list free roaming domestic feral cats as an unprotected species?

The UW study that is being referred to is the one that Stanley Temple published in Wisconsin Natural Resources in December 1996. It's available here:

http://www.wnrmag.com/stories/1996/dec96/cats.htm

We question the validity of this study.

We challenge the solution Question 62 poses.

Don't Shoot the Cat.

'Brides' run amok in town

Associated Press
Apr. 11, 2005 07:10 AM

MADISON, Wis. - Around 50 people gave new meaning to the term runaway bride when they donned matrimonial regalia and ran through town, sometimes stopping traffic.

Everyone from pretend priests to brides and grooms of both genders took part in the first-ever Running of the Brides on Saturday.

Liz Zelandais found the run difficult, and not just because of the champagne she drank.

"Pulling a train is one thing," she said, tugging the $2 thrift store gown over her tennis shoes. "But having to run with a train is unbelievable."

The run was put on by the Madison branch of the Hash House Harriers, an internationally known "drinking group with a running problem."

"This way we can have the party without a pre-nup or divorce," said Zelandais, who organized the event. "It's sort of a no-fault wedding experience."

The hashers have previously held pirate-themed runs, and all members - male and female - don red dresses for an annual evening run. Even on their relatively "normal" weekly Saturday afternoon runs they always stop for beers and run maze-like courses.

"It's very important to revert to infantile behavior for one day a week if you're forced to be an adult for the other six," said veteran hasher Marc Brand, who wore a veil and tutu. "It's therapeutic."

Source

""Pulling a train is one thing," she said, tugging the $2 thrift store gown over her tennis shoes. "But having to run with a train is unbelievable."
:shock: :oops: :shock:

I remember world weekly news used to report Nessie sightings up in Wis. :)

Weirdness comes out of the woodwork in Wisconsin

Book says we're in a strange state

By JACKIE LOOHAUIS
[email protected]
Last Updated: April 17, 2005

Good, ol' Wisconsin. So normal here - not someloony-lair like The Left Coast. Nothing odd ever happens in the warm and fuzzy Badger State.

Nothing like, say, attacks of reptile creatures, ghost materializations, dragon burials or assaults by alien space phenomena.

If you believe that, then hang onto your cheesehead, because it turns out that our home ranks as one of the most bizarre places in the country.

Evidence? The new book "Weird Wisconsin" (Barnes & Noble Books, $19.95) compiled by two writers who know "weird."

Elkhorn author Linda S. Godfrey has written two non-fiction books, "The Poison Widow," about a notorious Whitewater murderess, and "The Beast of Bray Road: Trailing Wisconsin's Werewolf." Co-author Richard Hendricks of Madison has been a student of weirdology for years. He's the creator of the Weird Wisconsin Web site, http://www.weird-wi.com, and news editor at The Anomalist, a daily review of world news on mysteries and "maverick science" (anomalist.com).

Together these two have compiled dozens of aberrant, atypical and anomalistic items from Wisconsin. But why go after weirdness?

"For Rich and me, weirdness is where we're at," Godfrey says by phone. "It's not a bad term. It encompasses originality and the stubborn Wisconsin ethic that makes people do their own thing. It's the wonderful thing that sets people and places apart from the mundane."

So just how weird a state is Wisconsin?

"It's among the weirdest," Godfrey says. She notes that the book's publisher is doing a "weird states" series, and Wisconsin was chosen to be among the first four volumes.

"That puts us in the top four," she says. "We have so many ghosts and so many legends and such a rich ethnic mix. Add a long winter with nothing to do but tell stories, and you end up with a state that's not afraid to be non-traditional."

Hendricks ranks Wisconsin No. 1.

"We are the weirdest state,
" he says. "We're outside the mainstream. The early settlers here were a motley crew running away from somewhere else. Malcontents came here for the chance to live the life they wanted to live. That individuality hasn't been stamped into conformity like in some other places."

So the authors found plenty of peculiar people, places and things to fill their pages, from Wisconsin psychic Jeane Dixon, who supposedly foresaw the JFK assassination, to the legendary Lake Mendota Sea Serpent. (There's even a mention of something truly strange: this reporter's boxing match with a kangaroo.)

But which ones wigged out the authors themselves? For Hendricks, it was "Dr. Evermor's Sculpture Park" near Baraboo, home of the world's largest scrap metal sculpture and the theoretical lift-off point for the doctor's planned trip to Mars.

For Godfrey, it was a personal encounter with the entity in a Sparta soap-store basement.

"They have an 1800s-era headstone in the basement wall. I think I saw the ghost when I was there. It looked like a white torso floating about - the shape of a human figure."

And there is plenty of other strangeness between these book covers. Weirdness in "Weird Wisconsin" includes:

• The reptile man. A "shiny, green-scaled, man-size figure" with wings allegedly loomed in front of a Department of Natural Resources warden on Highway 13 near Medford one day in the mid-1990s. The creature also supposedly appeared to a group of highway workers before flying off.

Really? Says Hendricks: "Reptile Man was reportedly seen during the day. In broad daylight, it's kind of hard not to see something green. Still, I looked for it but didn't find it."

• The dragon tower. A stone tower perches atop a mound overlooking the village of Elk Mound, built to commemorate deceased rural mail carriers. It may be the only one of its kind in the country. But it's what allegedly lies beneath the tower and the mound that is more interesting. Rumor has it that this is the burial site of a dragon.

Hendricks says: "It's thin topsoil there, and you can see rocks pointing out and it looks like the back of a stegosaurus. Now there are many ancient legends around the world associating dragons with mounds. Where did this story come from? Is there something there?"

• The dollhouse grave. In a North Woods cemetery stands perhaps the saddest headstone in the state. It belongs to a little girl named Bertha who owned a lovely blond bisque doll with a long white dress.

In 1912, at the age of 5, Bertha drowned. At her gravesite, her relatives erected a small dollhouse with a glass front and placed her doll inside. The doll keeps its tragic watch there to this day.

• The Grant Park Seven Bridges ghost. Walk the paths of Milwaukee's Grant Park between 9:30 p.m. and midnight when there's a full moon, and you may encounter more than a seagull. Allegedly a ghost woman floats down these paths looking for her dead sons.

Hendricks says that "sound carries strangely here. Mist rises off the stream." But are the moanings from a ghost or teen tricksters? Visitors must decide for themselves.

• Wisconsin werewolves. "There are far more sightings of werewolves here than in any other contemporary location," Godfrey says. "I've counted at least 50 now. It's not just a rural thing. Whatever this thing is - and the description is very consistent - it doesn't seem to be bothered by population, which is kind of creepy."

Creepy indeed, especially when you read those descriptions: "a shaggy wolf-headed creature" the size of a man.

• The orange ghost ball. According to the "Weird Wisconsin" account, a farm boy strolling past the Old Forest Home Cemetery near Fifield in 1938 was amazed to see an orange ball of fire about two feet in diameter fall from the treetops and hover a few feet off the ground. It then spun down a lane, circled a barn and returned to the cemetery where it disappeared.

"It doesn't seem to be explainable," says Godfrey.

• UFO landing pods. There are so many UFO sightings in Wisconsin that three different towns - Elmwood, Belleville and Dundee - compete for the title "UFO Capital of Wisconsin," says "Weird Wisconsin."

That last burg may be the weirdest, according to the "WW" authors. It boasts a heritage that includes not only space visitations but appearances by leprechauns, angels and a 45-foot lake monster.

And during UFO-themed festivals, Dundee residents sport headgear that is decidedly you-know-what: Hershey's Kiss hats made of tin foil to prevent aliens from reading their minds.

But this is not the weirdest place in Wisconsin. That would be . . .

"The State Capitol," says Hendricks.

He reports that ancient Indian mounds were destroyed to build it. One former building was torn down because it fell apart. The second one burned to the ground. Several workers were killed during the construction of the current building. The ghost of Moses Strong, a former lobbyist, reportedly roams the Capitol's marble corridors.

And then there's the legislation that has materialized out of the Capitol's ozone, like the anti-vampire bill introduced in 2000.

As Hendricks says: "Welcome to Transylvania." It's all too weird.

----------------------
Appeared in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel on April 18, 2005.

Source

And then there's the legislation that has materialized out of the Capitol's ozone, like the anti-vampire bill introduced in 2000.

Anti-vampire legislation??

Oh yes!!

I found this on the Weird WI mailing list:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/weirdwi/

written by Hendricks of course:

Date: Wed Mar 15, 2000 3:41 pm

Subject: Vampire legislation passes first hurdle

Hi All --

As some of you know, I've been following State Senator Baumgart's
(D-Sheboygan: http://www.legis.state.wi.us/senate/sen09/sen09.html)
Anti-Vampire legislation, Senate Bill 213, which he introduced last
July. Baumgart felt compelled to write legislation to enhance criminal
penalties for anyone found guilty of mutilating a child in the wake of
Phillip Buck's vampiric activity in Sheboygan a few years ago. Buck was
found guilty of cutting several teenage women with razors, then drinking
their blood, and was sentenced to ten years, nine months prison.
Baumgart felt Buck should have drawn more time.

Recently, a public hearing was held on SB 213. This got a lot of press
attention. Just yesterday, this bill was introduced to the entire
Senate, and after several readings, a substituted amendment was passed
after a third reading.

What this means, is that the Senate has approved the substituted
language, and the bill now goes on to the Assembly for approval.

Just think: we could soon be a state with Anti-Vampire legislation on
the books!

I've been meaning to do a followup piece on the WW website, but just
haven't found the time. Meanwhile, if you're interested in reading the
bill and its history, check out the following links:

Bill as introduced: http://www.legis.state.wi.us/1999/data/SB213.pdf

Sen. Sub. Amen. 1 Adopted:
http://www.legis.state.wi.us/1999/data/SB213-SSA1.pdf

History SB 231: http://www.legis.state.wi.us/1999/data/SB213hst.html

Regards,

RH
Weird Wisconsin

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/weirdwi/message/86

Just a quick FYI - I've added a section to my Fortean Timeline that covers Wisconsin Forteana. This is the same info that I posted here as an attachment on the previous incarnation of the FTMB.

I have one "weird" thing to report in Wisconsin. They are trying to legalise domestic/pet cat hunting.

A prostitute who's been dead for almost a century but who can still get down to Stevie Ray Vaughn. Excellent!!!

The ghost of the Old Baraboo Inn

00:00 am 7/05/05
Doug Erickson Wisconsin State Journal

BARABOO - B.C. Farr has spent hundreds of thousands of dollars turning a 141-year- old saloon into a restaurant, so he's understandably reluctant to jeopardize his investment by sounding like a crackpot.

That's why he says he kept quiet for years about the odd things he's seen - dishware flying off a rack, a broom floating across the kitchen, doors opening and closing by themselves. Then there's the walk-in cooler in the basement.

"If (the ghost) doesn't like you, it will shut the door on you and turn the light off," he said.

Eventually, so many customers witnessed similar events that Farr, owner of the Old Baraboo Inn, went public with his experiences.

"I don't really care what people think," said Farr, 42, who's convinced his establishment is haunted. "I know what I've seen."

If Farr is perpetuating a hoax, it is an elaborate one. More than a dozen people say they've witnessed ghost-like behavior at the restaurant and bar, which reopened in 2002 after sitting vacant for 14 years.

Now the historic tavern and former brothel is putting the boo in Baraboo, although not everyone is amused.

Johnny Flores, 21, who rents one of the two upstairs apartments, is trying to get out of his six-month lease early, partly because he needs a cheaper place but also because he's spooked.

Flores said he stopped sleeping in his bedroom three weeks ago, freaked out by a woman's voice that kept calling his name. Lately he's been sleeping at a friend's place or on his couch with the lights on.

"I sound like a sissy, but, whatever," he said.

Flores said he once joked, "C'mon, Casper, come and get me," only to endure an eerie tapping on his front door.

"I don't do that anymore," he said of his ghost mockery. "Things like that can backfire on you."

Farr bought the building in 1998 and began renovating the upstairs apartments first. He'd arrive in the morning to find his tools moved around, even after he taped the doors and windows.

The first tenants to occupy an apartment moved out after complaining of often hearing a honky-tonk piano playing and people laughing and singing at a time when the downstairs bar and restaurant weren't yet open, Farr said.

The couple also said they repeatedly saw a female ghost dressed like a saloon dancer. Others claim to have seen this same apparition, which people have taken to calling "Mary" after a prostitute who bled to death in the building around the early 1900s, Farr said.

Several other people died in the building over the years, including at least two other prostitutes and two former owners, said Farr, who said he researched the history of the 1864 building through press clippings at the State Historical Society in Madison.

Customer Char Lotte, 62, said she's seen Mary cut a rug on the bar's dance floor. The ghost is especially partial to the jukebox recording of "The House is Rockin" by Stevie Ray Vaughan, Lotte said.

Scott Mulock, 41, said he witnessed the same flying dishware incident as Farr. Fry pans and Tupperware containers flew off the rack like Frisbees, as if an invisible force was throwing them.

"I'm not a big ghost believer, but I saw what I saw," he said.

Waitress Peggy Tobias, 47, said she's seen Mary behind the bar, and Brooke Schonenberger, 23, the tenant in the other upstairs apartment, has been pestered by a strange dribble of water coming from an area of her kitchen cabinet where nothing is stored.

Sandy Radke, Farr's fianc e, calls herself a big skeptic and once joked that maybe Farr was hitting the bottle. (He says he doesn't drink.) Now she doesn't know what to think. She's seen a picture fly off the wall and a 200-pound griddle move on its own accord.

The volume of eyewitness reports constitutes the most compelling evidence of a haunting, said Jennifer Lauer, founder of the Janesville-based Southern Wisconsin Paranormal Research Group.

Group members visited the inn twice in the last month to collect data using cameras and instruments that detect subtle fluctuations in electromagnetic fields, ions, static electricity and temperature.

The group's members, who have other jobs, do their investigations for free.

Lauer termed the preliminary findings inconclusive. Some of the readings show unusual spikes and anomalies that could signal paranormal activity. However, natural phenomena, such as vibrations from nearby railroad tracks or stray voltage from an electrical substation, also could explain them, she said.

"Right now, we're on the fence."

The group wants to return for a third visit at a time when it can shut off the building's electricity and eliminate other manmade interference.

Asked if the whole thing is a publicity ploy, Farr said it would be a dumb one since he's already lost several renters and employees due to their fears of the place. It's become increasingly hard to find employees willing to go in the basement, he said.

After the Baraboo News Republic first wrote about the topic a couple of years ago, business has remained about the same, he said.

Farr said he has no plans to cut and run. He doesn't mind the ghosts - they seem to like him.

Sometimes when he goes into the cooler, the door actually opens by itself to let him out.

Contact Doug Erickson at [email protected] or 252- 6149.

Copyright © 2005 Wisconsin State Journal

http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/local/i ... 96&ntpid=1

Back