• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weirdness At The Twa Dogs Inn, Penrith Road, Keswick

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Watch first, read second:

Must-watch video: Is this evidence of a ghost at a Keswick pub?
by CWH 3 May 2021
in News, Featured

An eerie image of a shadowy human-like apparition walking around the beer garden of a Keswick pub has been captured on CCTV.

The landlord and staff at the Twa Dogs Inn in Penrith Road have been left shaken by the footage and believe what has been captured is a ghost.

Two fluorescent green orbs can be seen moving around the locked beer garden and it illuminates what appears to be a murky body with moving arms and legs.

It was initially spotted by Sharon Hankin, who has worked behind the bar at the pub for eight years. “I had been watching it all night on CCTV and thought: ‘What on earth is that?’” she said.

”I took a video of the CCTV footage on my phone. You can see the outline of a body and it looks like its got a head and legs and at the end you can see an arm swinging,” she added.

Landlord Peter Harding went out to investigate but the beer garden was empty and he described the footage as “unbelievable.”

Continued:
https://www.cwherald.com/news/must-watch-video-is-this-evidence-of-a-ghost-at-a-keswick-pub/

I'm not convinced that I'm looking at a 'human-like apparition', but at the same time, I'm not sure what I am looking at.

Opinions?

My guess (l have zero knowledge about CCTV camera innards) is that it’s a moth in the air near the camera. The scales on its wings (the moth “dust”) are probably highly reflective of the infrared light; the odd shape is an artefact of the camera’s iris. Photographers call it bokeh.

maximus otter

I did wonder if it might be a water droplet being blowing back and forth across the camera lens. I don't see arms and legs etc.

Quite frankly, I'm more concerned about the dead midget with the huge platform trainers lying bottom left.

The first thing to bear in mind is that the video was recorded on a smartphone off the CCTV playback screen. This means the mystery blobby "figure" and the pair of bright greenish bars could be reflections off the playback screen.

The "figure" is a transient blob that changes shape and extent throughout the video. It doesn't seem to consistently portray a persistent humanoid form. There are a couple of instants when it seems to subdivide into separate blobs.

The camera is mounted on a tree facing onto the beer garden deck. It faces toward the pub (not away from the pub). The "figure" is moving within the area covered by an awning / tent.

Quite frankly, I'm more concerned about the dead midget with the huge platform trainers lying bottom left.

Those are rectangular panels and what appears to be a solar cell mounted on a signpost at / on the garden wall (located below the tree-mounted camera).

TwaDogs-A.jpg

Here's a view that shows the camera mounted higher on the tree.

TwaDogs-B.jpg

It's odd, for sure, but it doesn't appear to be anything "walking around the beer garden" - rather an indistinct blob moving anything from a few feet (if it's something in the background, at the edge of the covered area) to a few centimetres (if it's something like a tiny spider hanging over the front of the camera lens).

Zooming in on the footage does seem to show some sort of grey object surrounding the green glow, a bit like the frame around an old hurricane lantern, and possibly something else behind it - but it's very hard to say whether that's not just my brain trying a 'best fit' approach to what it's seeing.

I seem to recall a number of media stories about 'glowing figures' showing up on CCTV back in the early 2000s once DIY kits became more of a thing, but most of them were plainly just insects moving across the lens. I'd suspect that's what we're seeing here.

We'd perhaps need to see more of the footage than just that 26-second clip - how does the green blob appear? How does it leave? Does it vanish in a blink, gradually fade out, or move away from the camera's range?

Always interesting to see stuff like this, of course, but as far as 'evidence' goes... I'd have to say inconclusive at best.

Unless, of course, there's a load of eyewitness reports stretching back through the years reporting a figure with a glowing lantern moving around that part of the garden... that may put a different spin on things...

Finally, here's a side view illustrating the area in the scene. The nearest picnic table in the photo is the one in the lower foreground of the video.

TwaDogs-C.jpg

... Zooming in on the footage does seem to show some sort of grey object surrounding the green glow, a bit like the frame around an old hurricane lantern, and possibly something else behind it - but it's very hard to say whether that's not just my brain trying a 'best fit' approach to what it's seeing. ...

It occurred to me that the pair of bright greenish bars might be high viz reflective strips on a jacket, and their brightness is messing with the camera's limited ability to image the area (i.e., the "figure") surrounding them.

The "figure" is a transient blob that changes shape and extent throughout the video. It doesn't seem to consistently portray a persistent humanoid form. There are a couple of instants when it seems to subdivide into separate blobs.

You've nailed what I think a ghost on film would look like! I'm unexcited by the video but reading this has given me goosebumps!

Watch first, read second:

Must-watch video: Is this evidence of a ghost at a Keswick pub?
by CWH 3 May 2021
in News, Featured

An eerie image of a shadowy human-like apparition walking around the beer garden of a Keswick pub has been captured on CCTV.

The landlord and staff at the Twa Dogs Inn in Penrith Road have been left shaken by the footage and believe what has been captured is a ghost.

Two fluorescent green orbs can be seen moving around the locked beer garden and it illuminates what appears to be a murky body with moving arms and legs.

It was initially spotted by Sharon Hankin, who has worked behind the bar at the pub for eight years. “I had been watching it all night on CCTV and thought: ‘What on earth is that?’” she said.

”I took a video of the CCTV footage on my phone. You can see the outline of a body and it looks like its got a head and legs and at the end you can see an arm swinging,” she added.

Landlord Peter Harding went out to investigate but the beer garden was empty and he described the footage as “unbelievable.”

Continued:
https://www.cwherald.com/news/must-watch-video-is-this-evidence-of-a-ghost-at-a-keswick-pub/

I'm not convinced that I'm looking at a 'human-like apparition', but at the same time, I'm not sure what I am looking at.

Opinions?
This is the image of what I see in the images...
Ghost.jpg

Suggest a woman ~ former waitress with a big hairdo maybe?

For heaven sakes 'maximous otter,' that's enough to frighten the life out of anyone!
1622813944205.png

The two lobes in the light bit together with the greenish colour, and the fact that the shape extends indistinctly upwards, all suggest a glow worm. It looks out-of-focus and close to the camera, possibly caught in spider web and being blown about. See glow worm examples attached.

Attachments

• 91098459-B908-427A-9D1A-D8A2473D2FD2.jpeg
    91098459-B908-427A-9D1A-D8A2473D2FD2.jpeg
    12.8 KB · Views: 11
  • E7F8D696-C5DB-43FB-A362-9009C2F7DC94.jpeg
    E7F8D696-C5DB-43FB-A362-9009C2F7DC94.jpeg
    63.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 98A950A1-3334-4BED-8B55-4F4D0E79E24F.jpeg
    98A950A1-3334-4BED-8B55-4F4D0E79E24F.jpeg
    38.1 KB · Views: 15
The two lobes in the light bit together with the greenish colour, and the fact that the shape extends indistinctly upwards, all suggest a glow worm. It looks out-of-focus and close to the camera, possibly caught in spider web and being blown about. See glow worm examples attached.
I don't believe that could be possible 'Amergin,' as the female's are apparently the one's that glow, and significantly the female's cannot fly!

Quote: [At night, however, the last few segments of the female's abdomen glows like an incredibly bright, green-yellow LED. The female can't fly, so uses light to lure the flying males to her. By being bright and prominent on the edge of the vegetation, she maximises her chances of being chosen.]

I don't believe that could be possible 'Amergin,' as the female's are apparently the one's that glow, and significantly the female's cannot fly!

Quote: [At night, however, the last few segments of the female's abdomen glows like an incredibly bright, green-yellow LED. The female can't fly, so uses light to lure the flying males to her. By being bright and prominent on the edge of the vegetation, she maximises her chances of being chosen.]

I’m not suggesting it’s flying though. Being wingless does not rule out crawling about nearby and it getting stuck in a web.
The motion has the distinct look of something on a thread, or hanging, moving about in the breeze.

Also, the hanging appearance of the blob in the image certainly fits with the typical behaviour when “glowing” for a mate. As shown in the pics I included.

I’m not suggesting it’s flying though. Being wingless does not rule out crawling about nearby and it getting stuck in a web.
The motion has the distinct look of something on a thread, or hanging, moving about in the breeze.

Also, the hanging appearance of the blob in the image certainly fits with the typical behaviour when “glowing” for a mate. As shown in the pics I included.
But that doesn't explain why there are apparent arm movements which accompany the image.

I don’t see any arm movements!
It’s just a blurry blob with fuzzy edges, and the edges vary in an amorphous way. It’s nothing you wouldn’t expect for a bug-like object that is near to the camera, out of focus, swinging about, perhaps twisting.

Either that of course, or it’s a ghost wearing a T-shirt with two fluorescent bands, trying to look like a glowworm.

I don’t see any arm movements!
It’s just a blurry blob with fuzzy edges, and the edges vary in an amorphous way. It’s nothing you wouldn’t expect for a bug-like object that is near to the camera, out of focus, swinging about, perhaps twisting.

Either that of course, or it’s a ghost wearing a T-shirt with two fluorescent bands, trying to look like a glowworm.
Only problem with your glow-worm thought 'Amergin,' is that Glow-Worms flash their glowing light, but in the clip the glow is constant.

Only problem with your glow-worm thought 'Amergin,' is that Glow-Worms flash their glowing light, but in the clip the glow is constant.

Only problem with that is... not necessarily. Look

Sure looks a lot like the “ghost” to me!

Only problem with that is... not necessarily. Look

Sure looks a lot like the “ghost” to me!
Well, I've just asked the question on the internet and the information supplied stated that they can only 'flash' for a short time! So they must be wrong I assume.
"Bottom line is that there is no real way of knowing what this really is - we can only assume or guess at it."

Indeed. They can flash, hang still, or wave their abdomens about. And who knows what they might do if caught in a web.

But yeah it’s all guesswork.
I simply think, on general appearance and balance of probabilities, that it’s more likely to be a glow worm than a ghost. Occam’s Razor, n’all that.

✅ ❌

Reactions: Sid
Indeed. They can flash, hang still, or wave their abdomens about. And who knows what they might do if caught in a web.

But yeah it’s all guesswork.
I simply think, on general appearance and balance of probabilities, that it’s more likely to be a glow worm than a ghost. Occam’s Razor, n’all that.

✅ ❌
Just for the record... I've never seen a ghost myself... but you never know! Saying that, I was in my Local Tesco Express last week, and whilst I was waiting for the person to bill me I happened to glance up and see a full retail pack of cigarettes sitting on the back shelf do a side-turn!
So I mentioned it to the person checking my stuff, and he said oh, yeah that happens quite often in this place!
Weird.... or What!

Sometimes the shape does resemble a human being. CCTVs sometimes don't show moving shapes very well.
I wonder if it is an intruder, perhaps using a mobile phone to illuminate their surroundings.

Looks like a very non-ghost local youth in a hoody with some logo or lettering on the back of their hoody (thats acting more fluorescent in the dark) wandering about - proably nicking stuff. I see the figure very clearly throughout, very sharp and discernable to me ?

Back