• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

UFOs & Related Things Seen In Google Maps / Earth / Street View

lopaka

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I'm not posting this in Conspiracy ;) but I thought thought is was worth taking note of. I've seen a satellite image of my neighborhood on the net before, so this isn't new, just more an observation how widely and easily available some kinds of information have become in such a short amount of time.

I do like the CIA connection, though.

Google Feature Incorporates Satellite Maps

By MICHAEL LIEDTKE

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - Online search engine leader Google has unveiled a new feature that will enable its users to zoom in on homes and businesses using satellite images, an advance that may raise privacy concerns as well as intensify the competitive pressures on its rivals.

The satellite technology, which Google began offering late Monday at http://maps.google.com, is part of the package that the Mountain View-based company acquired when it bought digital map maker Keyhole Corp. for an undisclosed amount nearly six months ago.

This marks the first time since the deal closed that Google has offered free access to Keyhole's high-tech maps through its search engine. Users previously had to pay $29.95 to download a version of Keyhole's basic software package.

A more traditional map will continue to be the first choice served up by Google's search engine. Users will have the option of retrieving a satellite picture by clicking on a button.

The satellite maps could unnerve some people, even as the technology impresses others. That's because the Keyhole technology is designed to provide close-up perspective of specific addresses.

Keyhole's previous government ties also have raised anxieties.

Founded in 2001, Keyhole raised some money in 2003 from In-Q-Tel, a venture capital firm backed by the Central Intelligence Agency. Leading up to the Google sale, Keyhole's roughly 10,000 customers included a cross-section of government agencies.

There is little reason for people to be paranoid about the satellite maps because the images generally are six to 12 months old, said John Hanke, Keyhole's general manager. ``And it's not like you are going to be able to read a license plate on a car or see what an individual was doing when a particular image was taken,'' he said.

Google believes most people will like the convenience of generating a satellite image with a few clicks of a computer mouse. The company envisions people using the service as a way to scout a hotel's proximity to the beach for a possible vacation or size up the neighborhood where an apartment is for rent.

Google's free satellite maps initially will be limited to North America, with images covering roughly half the United States, Hanke said.

Although Google is offering the satellite maps on a test basis, the feature will probably force its other online rivals to upgrade their technology, predicted search industry analyst Greg Sterling of the Kelsey Group. ``To play in this space, you are going to need some robust mapping capabilities.''

Sterling said Google's satellite maps pose the biggest threat to Mapquest, a service owned by Time Warner Corp. that has long operated the most popular Web site for finding directions.

The satellite maps also up the ante for the many challengers chipping away at Google's share of the lucrative Internet search engine market by adding more bells and whistles. For instance, Amazon.com Inc.'s A9 search engine earlier this year introduced a feature that includes an index containing 20 million street-level photographs of building exteriors in 10 major U.S. cities.

On the Net:

http://maps.google.com

04/05/05 10:05

© Copyright The Associated Press.

SOURCE

Last edited by a moderator:
wow!!!!

THAT IS REALLY , REALLY COOL!!punychicken- I think its a damn flying saucer! I do! :shock: That new google map search is way cool! I've spent way too much time with it!

One poster on that discussion said
I not exactly sure what this is but I believe it is caused by something either on, inside or very near the lens since you can find more of them at right angles of each other. I’m going to dub them FloridaSpheres. You can find a similar FloridaSpheres exactly exactly due west (FS1) and due north (FS2) from the one pinpointed above (FS0). Just keep clicking the west or north arrow and you will reach it. I’ve found more using the same search pattern. Below is the latitudes and longitudes of other spheres. Copy&Paste the numbers into the appropriate place in a GoogleMaps URL.

ll=26.748651,-80.074550 FS0 - The Original FloridaSphere
ll=26.748651,-80.189370 FS1 - Due West of FS0
ll=26.901956,-80.074550 FS2 - Due North of FS0
ll=26.901956,-80.245299 FS3 - Due West of FS2
ll=26.901956,-80.302420 FS4 - Due West of FS3 (Partial)
ll=26.901956,-80.357441 FS5 - Due West of FS4 (Half)
ll=27.002249,-80.245299 FS6 - Due North of FS3
I checked out the one to the north.

If they are so regular, perhaps this is a software glitch - after all the images have to be joined somewhere, so perhaps there's a gap at the corners?

(As Ruff says, a good time-waster of a site! :D )

Purely by chance, I found a view where images are joined - but no UFO!

Type Springdale AR into Google map and select Satellite. Part of the area was clearly imaged on a bright day, and part on a dull day. 8)

Google knows all, sees all. ;) If there are UFOs, google will be first to know.

(Sorta like the ending of Neuromancer, where the recentlly sentinent Wintermute/Neuromancer reports that it had found signals from another sentinent matrix in archived data from, IIRC, the '70s.)

I can't really tell from even a zoomed-in area, but does the shadow on the right side of the "thing" conform to the shadows on the ground?

what exactly am I meant to see-I just see a normal birds eye view of the city???

what am I meant to see

Just to the right of the huge UFO in the middle of the page is a road with a blue car on it that might be of alien origin, it has only one windscreen wiper ... that's what we are all talking about.

er, the big UFOey thing in the middle of the page seems a little odd too - now I think about it!
;)

Redneck -you can see an alien scout craft casting a shasow on ground looking a us from above- it proves we have visiters from beyond the other dominion.

Philo T said:

(Sorta like the ending of Neuromancer, where the recentlly sentinent Wintermute/Neuromancer reports that it had found signals from another sentinent matrix in archived data from, IIRC, the '70s.)

the aelph?

melf said:
Philo T said:

the aelph?

totally OT at this point...

I'm pretty sure that it's stated that the signals came from a different star. Seemed like what would be a pretty momentous discovery, but in the book, it's tossed off lightly, and never returned to again.

Hot Air Balloons?

It looks to me like a hot air balloon.

The shadows on the ground are quite long, so it's either early morning or late evening (the best times of day for ballooning). Also, there seems to be a sort of heat haze around the periphery of the object (hot canopy?).

As hot air balloons often travel in groups, that might account for the multiple instances.

Somone in some blog discussing this theorized that this was some artifact of the image stiching process, and had dug up further examples at regular intervals. But why would it appear as a sphere with shadows if that was the case? Also, if that was the case, you'd figure someone at the google maps group would have noticed this and made a statement that, yes, that was the case.

I dont remember names or details. But a couple years back i read of a story where a woman by accident got into the 'wrong room' @ NASA and saw people destroying images from space which contained saucers and such. According to the story, photos are constantly being taken and many of them have these objects. Dozens of people work 9-5 jobs just to eliminate all instances of these things before they reach the public. Supposedly some of the images she saw were the tops of disks in extremly high resolution, people literally throwing them into the fire, disposing of the film.

Apparently they didnt get this one!!

Human_84 said:
I found this by searching the area around my old home for no specific reason. Possibly a 747. Its in flight, note the double exposure. Very cool.
Thanks! I was just going to say "If we could find some pics of airplanes we could determine how big the "UFO" is." And now you did exactly that :D This means that the "UFO" is 747 sized?

Imagine what else we could discover: helicopters, flocks of birds, weather ballons, smoke from chimneys ...

Surely you've all clicked the UFO Update link already. There are more theories there.

Found THIS on another forum I visit.

What do we think? A message from our ET brothers of cosmic oneness?

:)

Human,

Your post about the people at NASA covering up photo's of various UFO's sounds familiar to me. I remember once watching a TV show which had an interview with an ex-nasa employee who claimed it was his job to check that the film that came back from Moon satellites was ok and not corrupted or damaged and he said that on more than one occasion he saw UFO's and cities in the moon's craters on the footage. He then sent the footage off to processing and upon release would you believe it the UFO's and "Moon Bases" had some how vanished... Now I don't know how valid this guy was or how respectable the show was but if its to be believed then much more is happening at NASA than we first thought

Mulder1800 said:
Human,

Your post about the people at NASA covering up photo's of various UFO's sounds familiar to me. I remember once watching a TV show which had an interview with an ex-nasa employee who claimed it was his job to check that the film that came back from Moon satellites was ok and not corrupted or damaged and he said that on more than one occasion he saw UFO's and cities in the moon's craters on the footage. He then sent the footage off to processing and upon release would you believe it the UFO's and "Moon Bases" had some how vanished... Now I don't know how valid this guy was or how respectable the show was but if its to be believed then much more is happening at NASA than we first thought

Agreed. I'm glad you remember this as well. Sometimes I remember something which no-one else seems to, and its always nice to hear someone else that recalls a similar story.

Regarding the flying car story that emperor posted, I believe I can explain that. If you look up and down the road with google earth, it appears that many cars are allowed to park on the sides. Also please note, that there is considerable space for a car to park in this particular area (so therefor someone parked). NEXT, a black car parks right near it. This would mimick the look of a shadow. Please look at the other cars nearbye which are painted black. THey look the same as this "shadow". Human over and out.

Re: Google earth UFO?

TheMiddleman said:
http://themiddleman.brinkster.net/Picture%201.png

Found over Florida.

Opinions?

[Emp edit: The image is far too big to put in a thread so I've turned the image into a link]

Er..see the first post in this thread,

-

Google Earth co-ordinates

"Is this a UFO?" lat=26.7489097647, lon=-80.073959391

Already spotted here:

edited by TheQuixote: removed link to topic and merged posts

Its official... I'm going insane. I already posted that Google Earth UFO huh? Sorry people.

Regarding the original posting:
UFO caught on Google Satellite Maps?

Look here.

A discussion here notes the artifact as space debris, weather balloon, flying crop circle without the crops!!

Is it me, or is the UFO gone from this picture? I don't see it anymore....

HAVE THE NASA AIR-BRUSHERS TAKEN CONTROL OF GOOGLE MAPS???

IamSundog said:
Regarding the original posting:
UFO caught on Google Satellite Maps?

Look here.

A discussion here notes the artifact as space debris, weather balloon, flying crop circle without the crops!!

Is it me, or is the UFO gone from this picture? I don't see it anymore....

HAVE THE NASA AIR-BRUSHERS TAKEN CONTROL OF GOOGLE MAPS???

It has just been updated with another, more recent picture.

Back