• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Forum Functions & Functionality: Technical Problems & Known Issues

Thanks to everyone involved for their hard work, and congratulations in pulling it off at such short notice. I've been a member of more than one message board that has either fizzled out or disappeared after being executed by corporate overlords, so this is great to see.

And I'm sure you'll get the technical issues sorted, but "ghosting", and posts from the future seem like entirely appropriate features for a Fortean message board anyway.

Thanks to Yith for his reply and, this is proof that clearing the cache/history/cookies on an Android phone does stop the Sorry - security issue from blocking your posts. It does mean you cannot remain logged in though.

Congratulations everyone and thank you so much for your hard work and determination - my lunchtime reading fix is secure!

The amount of time I've spent fielding emails from Forteans while nominally 'at work' today is positively indecent.

Has anybody yet come across a technical problem that is not on the list in the opening post of this thread?

A plea: please do not register a new account when you have log-in issues. All registrations now go through spam filtering and manual approval, which takes more effort but keeps out the troublemakers. The upshot of your re-registering is that we have to process your request, and then merge accounts your old and new accounts, and then deal with password and addresses to enable you to log in.

Just email us with the contact form at the bottom of the page ('contact us')--you'll get a quick response.

With the new system it is precisely 0% faster to try to get in with a new account!

First off - well done and thank you all for getting this set up (I liked Excel 98!) especially given the timeframe.

I'm pretty sure that I got in first go without seeing the privacy message. I'd forgotten my password so followed the "forgotten password" link sent back to my e mail. When I put my new password in I got straight through to the forum and the welcome message. Seeing the bit about the privacy mesage I came out and logged in again - curiosity rather that being a goody two shoes - when I got the privacy message that I then had to accept. Not sure what would have happened had I tried using the forum first time so it may not be a glitch.... but you did ask.

First off - well done and thank you all for getting this set up (I liked Excel 98!) especially given the timeframe.

I'm pretty sure that I got in first go without seeing the privacy message. I'd forgotten my password so followed the "forgotten password" link sent back to my e mail. When I put my new password in I got straight through to the forum and the welcome message. Seeing the bit about the privacy mesage I came out and logged in again - curiosity rather that being a goody two shoes - when I got the privacy message that I then had to accept. Not sure what would have happened had I tried using the forum first time so it may not be a glitch.... but you did ask.

We like people like you.

Another Huge Thank You to the entire team, it bears repeating.

(The welcoming post alerts us that we "... might be receiving notifications of posts or statuses with future times. Clearly this is a glitch." May be not a glitch! Only that the power of prescience was added in the switch! :)

Delighted to be posting here after the graft and sheer bloody-mindedness of those who refused to let a good thing die.

More power to your collective elbow.

A

Another Huge Thank You to the entire team, it bears repeating.

(The welcoming post alerts us that we "... might be receiving notifications of posts or statuses with future times. Clearly this is a glitch." May be not a glitch! Only that the power of prescience was added in the switch! :)

I loathed that half a second that I spent typing 'statuses'.

Delighted to be posting here after the graft and sheer bloody-mindedness of those who refused to let a good thing die.

More power to your collective elbow.

A

Stu's currently using the collective elbow.
Enola, Gordon and I have been walking around with double Hitler-salutes all day; makes typing pretty challenging.

Joking aside, if anybody is monitoring the Facebook Fortean group (or whatever it's called), could they alert anybody there having log-in difficulties to the contact link at the bottom of the page here. They don't have to be logged-in to use it.

The Mainstream News Stories link just returns me to the forum home screen.

I also need to clear my cache/history/cookies after each post.

The Mainstream News Stories link just returns me to the forum home screen.

I also need to clear my cache/history/cookies after each post.

1) That's a new one! And I can't replicate it. I suspect it's part and parcel of the second problem.

2) Yes, that's the 'ghosting' we're all experiencing, but I just refresh, refresh until I get an updated version of the thread. Notifications are also an annoyance, you can't know if they're current or already seen/acknowledged.

I will wait until tonight and then send emails for an update on this matter.

Thanks to all involved. Couldn't get it to work this morning on my own ageing MacBook Air (which needs a revamp anyway) but it works on my company MacBook Air, and I'll try it on our MacBook Pro later, which recently had a new, faster hard drive installed recently.

Thanks again, and welcome to old - and hopefully - new faces!

This is another product of the issue we've called 'ghosting' (whereby old versions of pages are being displayed). You've already agreed the terms, but the board keeps loading old versions of the pages that show you haven't. The less-than-perfect remedy is to do it once and then click away and refresh until the reminder goes away.

Dealing with this is our technical priority and rev_dino is on the case.

Aha! That makes sense - thanks

(and huzzah the trophy points survived - I'm easily pleased!)

Just checking in the new premises. Congratulations to all concerned for the fantastic work at short notice, & it seems we owe rev dino a debt of thanks for his part in the proceedings.

Great work chaps!

Has anybody yet come across a technical problem that is not on the list in the opening post of this thread?
I am not sure if it is related to the caching/refreshing problem (clearing cookies doesn't seem to have helped) but on Firefox you usually get a little icon at the top of the browser tab - mine still says FT. I thought I should mention it in case it is deemed to be a link to the mag.

And congratulations to everyone involved in the transfer. Amazing work. :hoff:

One thing which is not a big deal but.. new posts don't promote that thread to the top of the list within it's forum, as it did on the old site.

One thing which is not a big deal but.. new posts don't promote that thread to the top of the list within it's forum, as it did on the old site.

I think they do, but--again--you are seeing an earlier version of the list when the post hadn't been made.

[Wakes up, rubs eyes]

I had the strangest dream.
But it wasn't a dream - it was a place! And you, and you, and you, and you were there!

Nice to be back to reality. The only thing I miss are the threads that actually dealt with the changeover, which contained my last post over there. (Not that I intended it to be my last, as I miscalculated the time difference.) I look forward to being much more active now, which was my intention before the crisis.

Congrats on a job well done! :bthumbup:

Right: everybody log out, clear all cookies and website data and then log back in again, please (check your password first!).

We've tried something and we need to get reports as to whether it has solved our 'ghosting' issue.

Right: everybody log out, clear all cookies and website data and then log back in again, please (check your password first!).

We've tried something and we need to get reports as to whether it has solved our 'ghosting' issue.
I think it worked.

EDIT - YES IT DID. Thanks.

Whatever else is going on, the new format is attractive. It looks all renovated and lush. Thanks so much for keeping the forums afloat.

Initial readings are positive, Captain. :)

The latest change(s) behind the curtains, plus the logout / flush / login out front, seems to have solved the ghosting issue.

I also noticed it seems to have cured the secondary / associated issue of clicking on a latest post link and often being shunted to a page in the given thread preceding the page where the latest post is located.

Now I have to re-train myself to stop hitting the Reload button every time I access a webpage. It had gotten to the point my mouse-hand was automatically clicking for a reload on all webpages within all sites everywhere.

Phew! I appear to have made it after a bit of email address oddity :confused:
Thanks to everyone involved :friends: It looks great, albeit in that strange, familiar but yet slightly unfamiliar way!

Now I'm back home and have rudely snatched the iPad away from my lady, I can confirm that I don't get the same Oops error with IOS/Safari. It's only my Android phone which requires me to clear the cache after every post.

Thank you and well done everybody involved! I'll go back to lurking now ;)

Back