• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Forum Functions & Functionality: Technical Problems & Known Issues

a bit apprehensive, now, about the software upgrade at the weekend.
Ditto snap.

Is this an unavoidable innoculation of substantiality, to be injected into the refounded fabric of our core (that could have significant impacts of nastiness were it to go wrong), or, is it merely a superficial dotting of the "I"s and crossing of the "T"s, of the IT?

I ran away to hide up the side of a volcano during the early days of the forum migration....need I again run for the hills?

I have, so far, been delighted with the 99% of everything that is working fine for me on the new board. A magnificent job!

So I am a bit apprehensive, now, about the software upgrade at the weekend. :parapet:

Think it's a fairly minor procedure.

Should be ok as long as the scalpel doesn't slip.

although im not keen on new logo ... guess its out of our bailiwick ... but it just shouts specsavers to me

although im not keen on new logo ... guess its out of our bailiwick ... but it just shouts specsavers to me

The masthead / graphics / 'branding' bits you see now are a default presentation employed for getting the new forum up and running. Decisions on a more permanent presentation were deferred, and they are the subject of ongoing discussions and prototyping.

It's only there because we needed to replace the FT logo in a hurry.

There will be something far nicer there, but it's taking a while to produce.

May I suggest orange and teal with chrome effect lettering?

logo aside the sparse look/feel, layout and whatnot is all perfectly on point

Well done to everyone involved in the changeover and thank you for keeping the forum going.

Going back to post #265.

Tonight I checked the notifications in my email.

Every one since early evening on Friday is there.

I known that when I started on Saturday evening the first thing I did was to remove all the notifications (along with other redundant emails) from my In-Box . So at most there should have been only notifications related to posts after that point.

It appears that somehow they are all being re-sent out.

INT21.

Houston, we have a problem.

Not one email notification received since 08:05 this morning. My subscribed threads have new posts....

multiple page links plus next/prev at top of thread pages as well as foot ?

request for the individual numbered page links for longer threads to appear at top of each thread page, currently only show at bottom

Explanation:

The page navigation links / controls (horizontal series of page links with 'Prev' and 'Next' buttons) only appears at the bottom of a listing page.

On the old forum these page links appeared at both the top and the bottom of a page.

The non-presentation of the page navigation buttons at the top of the page is something that's been blocked by default in the new version of XenForo we're using.

This was supposedly done for the benefit of mobile users. Ironically, it's been mobile users who were the first to complain about the disappearance of the page navigation items at the page's top. Anyway ...

This block is implemented in the underlying code controlling the behavior and appearance of listing pages.

We need to consult with our XenForo guru before monkeying with it, or else pass it on to him as a 'to-do' item.

Stay tuned ... It may take a while ...

My niggles are two, fairly minor ones, which I seem unable to fix myself.

1. The information-balloon which appears over forum titles in the main Forum view pops up very quickly on hover-over and obscures most of the link. It may be limited to Safari-Mac browsing. The work-around of clicking on the most-recently updated thread is easier than fishing for a bit of the name which is not covered by the info!

2. Copying and pasting into a window produces two versions of the text plus a lot of formatting data, which can be deleted but offers some resistance. Using "Paste-and-match-style" does not avoid pasting all the unwanted stuff. :confused:

Last edited:
2 things.

1. Mail might not be flowing because we hit the free limit on our mail gateway. I will upgrade later to the "50, 000 emails per month" plan.
  2. The update was nothing to worry about - it was a minor upgrade to address a security flaw. This is a good sign and means that XenForo (the forums software) is actively maintained by the developers.
    1. If you like, you can read about the update here: https://xenforo.com/community/threads/xenforo-2-0-11-released-security-fix.156690/

Page navigation at the top / header area of multi-page listings has now been reinstated forum-wide.

...The information-balloon which appears over forum titles in the main Forum view pops up very quickly on hover-over and obscures most of the link. It may be limited to Safari-Mac browsing. The work-around of clicking on the most-recently updated thread is easier than fishing for a bit of the name which is not covered by the info! ...

James:

You're referring to the first post text excerpt which pops up over the thread title within a given individual forum's listing - right?

I've checked it using both Safari and Firefox on a Mac (latest OS / browser versions), and the only thing(s) I see the pop-up obscuring are the hot-linked titles of threads listed above the one for which the hover-over is activated.

For me the pop-up is not obscuring anything about the hovered-over thread title itself, and it's readily out in the open for clicking.

Perhaps I'm not understanding the behavior that's bugging you? :dunno:

(latest OS / browser versions

Far from the latest versions here. Using Mac 10.7.4 and Safari 5.1.6, both six years old now!

I do use Chrome part of the time. Guardian will no longer load at all in Safari.

I suspect they are just symptoms of ageing kit!

... Copying and pasting into a window produces two versions of the text plus a lot of formatting data, which can be deleted but offers some resistance. Using "Paste-and-match-style" does not avoid pasting all the unwanted stuff.

Sometime starting about a week ago I noticed that text copied from the face of a webpage elsewhere wouldn't paste into the post editing area at all. This didn't happen in all instances - it seemed to depend on which website I was excerpting text from ...

There were also a couple of occasions where such a direct copy-elsewhere & paste-here tactic resulted in HTML garbage being pasted along with the text (which sounds more like what you're describing).

I don't know what's causing it, and I'm not sure it's something here on our end (i.e., the forum software). For me it's affecting copying from sites where I've never had any such issues before.

I've started using the following workaround to avoid such weirdness ... Open a text editor window (e.g., TextEdit). Copy the text from the face of the website, paste it into the text editor window (which renders it as plain text), then copy and paste it from the text editor window into the post edit window / area here.

Far from the latest versions here. Using Mac 10.7.4 and Safari 5.1.6, both six years old now!
I do use Chrome part of the time. Guardian will no longer load at all in Safari.
I suspect they are just symptoms of ageing kit!

I feel your pain. I was still using OSX 10.8 (to preserve functionality for legacy apps), and I'd been wrestling with Apple for a month to upgrade to a later OS. Then my computer died about 5 - 6 weeks ago (it's still sitting at the repair shop) and my hand was forced. The refurbed iMac I bought as an emergency lifeboat (for the Great Panic & Migration) was already loaded with Mojave (10.14).

I suspect part of the problem has to do with your old Safari's ability to handle new-style webpages under the secure HTTPS protocol.

On the old Beast I had to use Firefox for more secure sites. You might give Firefox a try for the interim, but I fear an upgrade is inevitable.

that was quick ... i mean, agile ! thanks men

Our XenForo guru happened to be logged on at the time, so there was minimal turnaround time in consulting with him. He gave me the 'try it and see' go-ahead, and it worked.

You're referring to the first post text excerpt which pops up over the thread title within a given individual forum's listing - right?

No it's not that but a white-on-black speech bubble which defines the forum. For instance, over "It Happened to Me" it defines it as "First-Hand Accounts of High Strangeness" Latest Fortean News has one that starts Extra! Extra! Extra!

There may be a way to turn them off. I'll look again! :rolleyes:

No it's not that but a white-on-black speech bubble which defines the forum. For instance, over "It Happened to Me" it defines it as "First-Hand Accounts of High Strangeness" Latest Fortean News has one that starts Extra! Extra! Extra! ...

Oh ... I figured those couldn't have been the ones you were referring to ...

The only things those top-level pop-ups obscure for me (and then only for the lengthiest ones) are the columns for numbers of threads and messages.

Are you saying that on your setup they're big enough to obscure the links over in the rightmost column (link to latest post)?

Are you saying that on your setup they're big enough to obscure the links over in the rightmost column (link to latest post)?

No, they block most of the hyperlinked name of the forum. The one-lined ones leave some of the name uncovered. If there are two lines of these descriptions, only a tiny area of the link protrudes at the left to click on. I don't seem able to turn them off in Preferences or anywhere else. :willy:

I can link to the latest post without any problem.

No, they block most of the hyperlinked name of the forum. The one-lined ones leave some of the name uncovered. If there are two lines of these descriptions, only a tiny area of the link protrudes at the left to click on. I don't seem able to turn them off in Preferences or anywhere else. :willy:

For me, these pop-ups / tool-tips extend rightward from the hot-linked forum titles and don't obscure them at all.

You're right - there's no way for a user to turn them off. They're built into the forum's basic structure / specifications.

Back