• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Indeed. But you do get people who think they are werewolves. They might act like one and after a long enough time living rough in the wild they might look convincing at night or in poor light.
Used to be a lot of these 'living rough and in the wild' types down on Whip-ma-Whop-ma-gate till the Council moved the benches...

Residents trembling in terror after seeing '8 FOOT WEREWOLF' in British city
A CITY is trembling in terror as the full moon approaches, after a spate of werewolf sightings.

Seven separate eye witnesses claim to have spotted the 8ft tall creature lurking in an abandoned industrial area outside the centre of Hull.

Residents and folklore experts believe the mythical beast, said to turn from a human to wolf at a new moon, is Old Stinker.

According to a centuries-old legend the foul-breathed creature prowls the Yorkshire Wolds.

But locals fear it may now have decided to claim the overgrown area as its turf.

The lonely banks of Barmston Drain, a water channel built in 1798 to dry out salt marshes, are where the creature was first reported before Christmas.

One woman claims to have seen it turn from man to beast as she stood quaking on a bridge above.

She said: “It was stood upright one moment. The next it was down on all fours running like a dog. I was terrified.

“It bounded along on all fours, then stopped and reared up on to its back legs, before running down the embankment towards the water.

“It vaulted 30ft over to the other side and vanished up the embankment and over a wall into some allotments.”

A couple saw “something tall and hairy” eating a German Shepherd dog next to the Drain.

They stopped to get a closer look and saw it jump an 8ft high fence before vanishing into the night, its prey still in its jaws.

And a woman walking her dog along the watercourse spotted something “half-man, half-dog” in the distance.

She was terrified, and her pet began shaking and refused to go any further along the path.

Now locals plan a werewolf hunt with cameras and recording equipment at the next moon.

Local councillor Steve Wilson has offered to keep an incident log.

He said: “I am happy to keep a diary of sightings by people around here and report them to Hull Council.”

Witnesses say when the creature transforms, its upper body is more wolf than man – similar to the beast in the American Werewolf films.

The Hull creature bears an uncanny resemblance to the legend of Old Stinker – said to prowl The Wold Newton Triangle, an area of eerie goings on near Scarborough.

Charles Christian, author of A Travel Guide To Yorkshire’s Weird Wolds, said sightings went back centuries.

He said: “The Yorkshire Wolds was actually one of the last parts of England to have wild wolves. Old Stinker was said to be operating on the other side of them but it would be no distance at all for a large animal to get to Hull."

He added: “When you get multiple sightings combined with a tradition of stories going back centuries it is hard to ignore the possibility something might be there.”

Worried locals have sought help from Mike Covell, an expert in the supernatural.

He said: “I was sceptical at first, but then more and more people contacted me saying they had seen the same thing.

“No one really knows what to do. You can hardly pop down the local council office or police station and say you’d like to report a werewolf.”

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/67...werewolf-Old-Stinker-full-moon-Barmston-Drain

With the memory of seeing An American Werewolf in London at too young an age, wandering around the moors at night is one of the last things I would do. Whitby is a strange place, I seem to remember reading of Black Shuck encounters there.

Actually, not even sure anyone mentioned Whitby...

With the memory of seeing An American Werewolf in London at too young an age, wandering around the moors at night is one of the last things I would do. Whitby is a strange place, I seem to remember reading of Black Shuck encounters there.

Actually, not even sure anyone mentioned Whitby...

But it's odd for me that you did, since I'm randomly on my way there now. I think ghostly black dogs up there are called barghests.

Sounds a bit like big foot in the USA even the stinker bit as
one thing often reported is the smell.

Any sightings while you were there?
Not that I saw. And I looked at the beautiful scenery as much as I got the opportunity to, so I imagine I'd have seen a wolf man lurking around if he had been in the open. No phantom black mutts either.

The Flixston werewolf was reported as recently as 2016, as related on p.242 of Truth-Proof 2 by Paul Sinclair:

The Carrs are an area of fertile wetland adjoining Flixton and Folkton. In ancient times hunter-gathers settled there, making their home on the edge of Star Carr. Eleven thousand years ago Star Carr was a great lake with islands and thick reed beds which extended for miles. This area is as rich in ancient history as anywhere else in the world. Evidence of sacrifice and shamanic practices have recently been discovered at Star Carr, along with the preserved remains of Britain's oldest dwelling house, which has been dated to 8,500BC. Starr Carr is truly a land of history and mystery, so I am not surprised that accounts of the Flixton Werewolf still surface in and around this most ancient of locations.

The farmer's sighting occurred in broad daylight in fields adjoining his own farm, which overlooks Star Carr. It was the erratic behaviour of some nearby horses that first caught his attention. He told me they were gathered at one end of a paddock and appeared skittish and nervous. Then he saw a creature running across open fields, just parallel to the paddock. He said it ran upright on two legs and was tall. He described it as being covered with dark fur and with a face like an Alsatian dog. He called it the wolfman.

For some reason the creature stopped half-way across the field and crouched down. He said the horses definitely sensed its presence because they were trying to distance themselves from it within the paddock. Moments later this strange-looking beast was back up and running across the fields. The last the farmer saw of the creature was when it entered an area of woodland known as the Spell Howe plantation. Spell Howe is an interesting location and a fitting place to end this account. This small woodland is littered with burial mounds and is also very close to the burial mounds known as Sharp Howe - another ancient location where sightings of the Flixton Werewolf have been reported.

I've just started vol. 3. of Truth-Proof so will post if anything else crops up.

The Flixston werewolf was reported as recently as 2016, as related on p.242 of Truth-Proof 2 by Paul Sinclair:

The Carrs are an area of fertile wetland adjoining Flixton and Folkton. In ancient times hunter-gathers settled there, making their home on the edge of Star Carr. Eleven thousand years ago Star Carr was a great lake with islands and thick reed beds which extended for miles. This area is as rich in ancient history as anywhere else in the world. Evidence of sacrifice and shamanic practices have recently been discovered at Star Carr, along with the preserved remains of Britain's oldest dwelling house, which has been dated to 8,500BC. Starr Carr is truly a land of history and mystery, so I am not surprised that accounts of the Flixton Werewolf still surface in and around this most ancient of locations.

The farmer's sighting occurred in broad daylight in fields adjoining his own farm, which overlooks Star Carr. It was the erratic behaviour of some nearby horses that first caught his attention. He told me they were gathered at one end of a paddock and appeared skittish and nervous. Then he saw a creature running across open fields, just parallel to the paddock. He said it ran upright on two legs and was tall. He described it as being covered with dark fur and with a face like an Alsatian dog. He called it the wolfman.

For some reason the creature stopped half-way across the field and crouched down. He said the horses definitely sensed its presence because they were trying to distance themselves from it within the paddock. Moments later this strange-looking beast was back up and running across the fields. The last the farmer saw of the creature was when it entered an area of woodland known as the Spell Howe plantation. Spell Howe is an interesting location and a fitting place to end this account. This small woodland is littered with burial mounds and is also very close to the burial mounds known as Sharp Howe - another ancient location where sightings of the Flixton Werewolf have been reported.

I've just started vol. 3. of Truth-Proof so will post if anything else crops up.
Paul Sinclair has done fantastic work in tracking down witnesses to UFOs and cryptids in that part of the UK. I especially liked the case of the boy who lived on a farm and looked out of his bedroom window one night and sees group of goblin-type creatures approaching up the drive. He tried to write it off as a dream but the next morning his sister complained that there had been 'goblins' in her bedroom.

The big question to answer: is this area of the England more paranormally active or is t because Paul is looking that we know so much is going on?

His documentary on this phenomena titled 'Wolf Lands' is due for release on YouTube very soon and will feature witness interviews. His website: https://truthproof.uk

I live not a million miles from Flixton. It's a very ancient area, on the edges of what was a huge, shallow lake after the receding of the glaciers and, apparently, a very hospitable place for human life. I ought to go up there and have a look around.

The thing I would question about this story of the farmer seeing the wolfman is - the behaviour of the horses. They gathered together and were skittish and nervous, yet there was, apparently a werewolf running across fields 'just parallel to the paddock'. I would have expected horses to have been jumping out of the paddock, lathered with fear, basically a little more than 'skittish'. Unless it was something that they basically recognised but were uncertain as to its intent - a person, a dog. They just don't sound afraid enough to be encountering something that odd, bearing in mind your average horse can be terrified by a black plastic bag.

I live not a million miles from Flixton. It's a very ancient area, on the edges of what was a huge, shallow lake after the receding of the glaciers and, apparently, a very hospitable place for human life. I ought to go up there and have a look around.

The thing I would question about this story of the farmer seeing the wolfman is - the behaviour of the horses. They gathered together and were skittish and nervous, yet there was, apparently a werewolf running across fields 'just parallel to the paddock'. I would have expected horses to have been jumping out of the paddock, lathered with fear, basically a little more than 'skittish'. Unless it was something that they basically recognised but were uncertain as to its intent - a person, a dog. They just don't sound afraid enough to be encountering something that odd, bearing in mind your average horse can be terrified by a black plastic bag.
A valid point. You could counter that animals depend on scent more than sight and I have on occasion been able to get very close to foxes, badgers and deer by being downwind of them and indeed this is the tactic most carnivores adopt to stalk their prey. So were the horses upwind or downwind of what the farmer witnessed?

A valid point. You could counter that animals depend on scent more than sight and I have on occasion been able to get very close to foxes, badgers and deer by being downwind of them and indeed this is the tactic most carnivores adopt to stalk their prey. So were the horses upwind or downwind of what the farmer witnessed?
This is mostly true, although horses are very sight-orientated (big eyes on side of face so they can see behind them), and rely hugely on what they can see rather than smell. If they were skittish then they could clearly see something that disturbed them, it just didn't seem to disturb them enough, if you see what I mean.

This is mostly true, although horses are very sight-orientated (big eyes on side of face so they can see behind them), and rely hugely on what they can see rather than smell. If they were skittish then they could clearly see something that disturbed them, it just didn't seem to disturb them enough, if you see what I mean.
Yes, have to agree with you, it seems strange from a UK perspective but horses are prey animals and their first instinct is to flee:

(e.g. https://olsonfarlow.com/editorial-images/horse-herd-behavior-fight-or-flight-instinct-wild-horses-23)

So what would unsettle horses but not cause an out-and-out fight to flight reaction? In my experience horses show an interest in people passing by (perhaps hoping for a polo mint!) but how would a dog affect them?

Maybe, for them, it actually wasn't that odd. They may see it - whatever "it" is - a lot, even if the humans around them are elsewhere and/or otherwise engaged.

The big question to answer: is this area of the England more paranormally active or is t because Paul is looking that we know so much is going on?
Julian Cope devotes a lot of attention to the area in the Modern Antiquarian, although admittedly he is approaching it from a different perspective.

… it entered an area of woodland known as the Spell Howe plantation. Spell Howe is an interesting location and a fitting place to end this account. This small woodland is littered with burial mounds…

5CF439B2-415B-4642-B53F-C8482322E5EE.jpeg

Also:

https://www.thenorthernantiquarian.org/2010/06/20/spell-howe-folkton/

maximus otter

Maybe, for them, it actually wasn't that odd. They may see it - whatever "it" is - a lot, even if the humans around them are elsewhere and/or otherwise engaged.
My take on such cryptids is that they are paranormal rather than flesh-and-blood and therefore the horses may have sensed a 'presence' that unsettled them but could not see the cryptic or they could but to them it resembled a human, perhaps?

My take on such cryptids is that they are paranormal rather than flesh-and-blood and therefore the horses may have sensed a 'presence' that unsettled them but could not see the cryptic or they could but to them it resembled a human, perhaps?
That was my view too... they sensed something uncanny rather than a predator, hence skittishness rather than panic.

Question - how are horses reported as behaving in 'close encounters' with Bigfoot?

Most horses have two modes other than indifference - will it feed me or will it eat me? They can be ridiculous creatures so "they sensed a paranormal presence" makes no logical sense.

Most horses have two modes other than indifference - will it feed me or will it eat me? They can be ridiculous creatures so "they sensed a paranormal presence" makes no logical sense.
Yes, with animals that will run from a wobbly rubbish bag or a chicken jumping out of a hedge don't really have a 'paranormal' setting. If it's scary it's REALLLLLLLY scary, if you're a horse.

Last edited:
Didn't Patterson and Gimlin report that their horses panicked when they sighted Patty?
This is what I'd expect. Either a paranormal event or any kind of predator sighting - horses will panic, pull away from ropes to try to escape, jump out of confining paddocks, sweat up and run (or try to). Horses have a good turn of speed but not a lot of defence mechanisms other than that; they can kick but it's pretty much a last resort, so they will try to outrun anything long before it gets too close.

They really can't be anything else, (if we discount hoax or misidentification) it's the cosmic joker having a laugh again, I mean it's just so bloody bizarre that it stretches credulity which is how most fortean phenomena goes, it's like it want's to be spotted but doesn't want to much publicity, no wonder so many people have lost their minds studying it

it's like it want's to be spotted but doesn't want to much publicity, no wonder so many people have lost their minds studying it
So Meghan Markle fits the definition of a Fortean phenomenon? :thought:

Back