• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Werewolf Sightings

Wmysteries90

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Hello Everybody,

My name is James Whittaker and I'm a Researcher in South Yorkshire, UK. I research Bigfoot & Dogman/Werewolves in the UK especially the North York Moors National Park region.

I'm looking for more info on these creatures and well if anybody has had an encounter or an experience with either one of these possible creatures. If so feel free to let me know here or via my facebook group :-

https://www.facebook.com/groups/734332986662851/

Thanks

Wow! Are there that many manbeast sightings in the UK?

INteresting topic :)

Wow! Are there that many manbeast sightings in the UK?

There's the Big Grey Man of Ben MacDhui, don't think he's a werewolf, though. Traditional werewolves are people who turn into actual wolves rather than the Hollywood favourite, Lon Chaney Jr-style intermediate form between person and wolf, though.

There's the Big Grey Man of Ben MacDhui, don't think he's a werewolf, though. Traditional werewolves are people who turn into actual wolves rather than the Hollywood favourite, Lon Chaney Jr-style intermediate form between person and wolf, though.
I thought the Big Grey Man was attributed to an optical illusion. I would be fascinated to hear of sightings of half-men in the UK, though. It's something that has a long history in mythology.

Like a Brocken Spectre PeteByrdie?

I'm pretty sure Ben MacDhui's first appearance is in a fictional short story.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like a Broken Spectre PeteByrdie?

I'm pretty sure Ben MacDhui's first appearance is in a fictional short story.

Definitely a Campbell hanging about Beinn Mac Duibh.

dhuiman.jpg

Of course, these hairstyles were invented to disguise the fact that an alien invasion was under way.

Of course, these hairstyles were invented to disguise the fact that an alien invasion was under way.
The only aliens I ever heard of in connection with the beehive hairdo was insects. Because the style required loads of laquer, some women went ages without washing their hair. Insects got in, and started chewing on their scalps! :eek:

(May be just an urban legend, of course! ;))

There's some support on the Interweb:

Lots of back combing & smoothing with lots of hairspray.
The fact that some women used to have bugs in their hair sometimes will indicate that it was not an easy hairstyle to get done & not washing your hair was an easy way to keep the style longer!

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080218082203AAuwX42

But Snopes goes for UL:

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/vanities/hairdo.asp

But just to derail this thread completely:

Origin of Beehive Hairstyle + B52,

The Beehive is a woman's hairstyle that resembles a beehive; it is also known as the B-52, for its similarity to the bulbous nose of the B-52 Stratofortress bomber. It originated as one of a variety of elaborately teased and lacquered versions of "big hair" that developed from earlier pageboy and bouffant styles. It was developed in 1960 by Margaret Vinci Heldt of Elmhurst, Illinois, owner of the Margaret Vinci Coiffures in downtown Chicago, who won the National Coiffure Championship in 1954, and who had been asked by the editors of Modern Beauty Salon magazine to design a new hairstyle that would reflect the coming decade. She originally modelled it on a fez-like hat that she owned.
In recognition of her achievement, Cosmetologists Chicago, a trade association with 60,000 members, created a scholarship in Heldt’s name for creativity in hairdressing. The beehive style was popular throughout the 1960s, particularly in the United States and other Western countries, and remains an enduring symbol of 1960s kitsch. The popular "girl" group, The Ronettes, helped popularize the hairdo.

http://picturebugs.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/origin-of-beehive-hairstyle-b52.html

I thought the Big Grey Man was attributed to an optical illusion.
A more reasonable explanation for some of the sightings of huge figures in the mist could be phenomena known as the Brocken spectre, named after the German mountains where the effect was first discovered. An early account of such an event occurs in 'In the Shadow of Cairngorm' by The Rev. W. Forsyth,

'Sir Thomas Dick Lauder describes such an appearance ("Edinburgh New Philosophic Journal, 1831.") "On descending from the top (of Ben Mac Dhui) at about half-past three P.M., an interesting optical appearance presented itself to our view. We had turned towards the east, and the sun shone on our backs, when we saw a very bright rainbow described on the mist before us. The bow, of beautifully distinct prismatic colours, formed about two-thirds of a circle, the extremities of which appeared to rest on the lower portion of the mountain. In the centre of this incomplete circle there was described a luminous disc, surrounded by the prismatic colours displayed in concentric rings. On the disc itself, each of the party (three in number), as they stood about fifty yards apart, saw his own figure most distinctly delineated, although those of the other two were invisible to him. The representation appeared of the natural size, and the outline of the whole person of the spectator was most correctly portrayed. To prove that the shadow seen by each individual was that of himself, we resorted to various gestures, such as waving our hats, flapping our plaids, &c., all which motions were exactly followed by the airy figure.'

This account shows that the Brocken effect, where shadows are reflected onto mist banks giving the appearance of huge figures, has occurred on Ben Machdhui.

http://www.mysteriousbritain.co.uk/scotland/aberdeenshire/hauntings/the-grey-man-of-ben-macdhui.html

This account shows that the Brocken effect, where shadows are reflected onto mist banks giving the appearance of huge figures, has occurred on Ben Machdhui.

Amongst other amazing photos on the BBC News from the mountains of Scotland this winter they managed to capture it...

BBC News Scotland

_80928249_brockenspectreglencoe.jpg

More on the Brocken Spectre...

BBC Highlands

Prof Collie was climbing alone in snow and mist when he heard crunching sounds, as if he was being followed by something large and ominous. Prof Collie turned and fled.

Another climber A M Kellas, a lecturer and veteran of Himalayan ascents, later told Prof Collie of similar terrifying experience on the Scottish peak.

Other mountaineers came forward to say they had not just heard but seen the Big Grey Man.

The sightings have a scientific explanation called the brocken spectre.

I had a "Brocken Spectre" encounter in Sept 2010, above the "Eagle's Nest", Berchtesgaden (near the site of you-know-who's house). Although I soon realised it was "me" I was looking at, I'll confess it gave me a bit of a twitch and I managed to screw up all attempts to photograph the image in the cloud apart from one pic which shows a lovely halo I acquired that day. I suppose, compared to the previous residents of that area, I am rather angelic!

The itinerary for the UK's only werewolf conference
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-33971546

With international papers, workshops and a keynote speaker, a three-day conference to be held at the University of Hertfordshire next month resembles most other academic gatherings. What makes this one different is the subject matter: werewolves.

Lycanthropy is a word not often heard.

First coined in the 16th Century, it means the (mythical) transformation of a person into a wolf.

On 3 September - four days after the next full moon - many of the world's leading experts in lycanthropy will gather at the University of Hertfordshire for the UK's only werewolf conference.

http://www.herts.ac.uk/about-us/new...dshire-to-stage-three-day-werewolf-conference

The itinerary for the UK's only werewolf conference
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-33971546

With international papers, workshops and a keynote speaker, a three-day conference to be held at the University of Hertfordshire next month resembles most other academic gatherings. What makes this one different is the subject matter: werewolves.

Lycanthropy is a word not often heard.

First coined in the 16th Century, it means the (mythical) transformation of a person into a wolf.

On 3 September - four days after the next full moon - many of the world's leading experts in lycanthropy will gather at the University of Hertfordshire for the UK's only werewolf conference.

http://www.herts.ac.uk/about-us/new...dshire-to-stage-three-day-werewolf-conference

...but after the full moon. Disappointingly.

...but after the full moon. Disappointingly.

You can picture the scene - a heavily beared man giving a lecture to the audience thats full of blokes dressed up as Voldermort, Darth Vader and Frankenstein etc....ooh and the odd stormtrooper.

You can picture the scene - a heavily beared man giving a lecture to the audience thats full of blokes dressed up as Voldermort, Darth Vader and Frankenstein etc....ooh and the odd stormtrooper.

You surely mean "Frankenstein etc.....aroooo-oooooo and the odd stormtrooper." ?

...I'll get me coat.

You surely mean "Frankenstein etc.....aroooo-oooooo and the odd stormtrooper." ?

...I'll get me coat.

Yeh, you know - the hard core fanatics who are obsessed with such nocturnal phantoms and monsters. They dress to impress dont they, but alas theres always one guy who cant afford a new outfit. So, he turns up dressed in his stormtrooper or he-man outfit with hope that he will still `fit in` with the crowd.

I had a "Brocken Spectre" encounter in Sept 2010, above the "Eagle's Nest", Berchtesgaden (near the site of you-know-who's house). Although I soon realised it was "me" I was looking at, I'll confess it gave me a bit of a twitch and I managed to screw up all attempts to photograph the image in the cloud apart from one pic which shows a lovely halo I acquired that day. I suppose, compared to the previous residents of that area, I am rather angelic!

A British walker has spotted a rare phenomenon called a "Brocken spectre" in the skies over Yorkshire.

image2JPG.jpg

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/techno...hostly-brocken-spectre-appears-clouds-7167398

Female werewolves in pop culture, oh my
By Magda Knight
7 Apr, 2016

Female werewolves – what do they say about our culture? We talk to an academic about the she-wolf in medieval and modern times.

Dr Hannah Priest is an academic writer and lecturer based in Manchester, UK. Her work focuses on sex, violence and monsters in popular culture (medieval and contemporary). We collared her (awkward werewolf joke? What a howler) on the panel of The Curse play to talk LOTS AND LOTS ABOUT FEMALE WEREWOLVES, OH MY.

http://www.mookychick.co.uk/reviews/books/female-werewolves-in-pop-culture.php

Back