• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Westworld

Interesting second episode, I wonder if there is some sort of deliberate meta-narrative going on with the maze thing.

Do take a peek at the trailer on youtube, there's some content in it that doesn't appear in the episode.

Interesting second episode, I wonder if there is some sort of deliberate meta-narrative going on with the maze thing.

Do take a peek at the trailer on youtube, there's some content in it that doesn't appear in the episode.
Yeah it looks like a game within the game, very grim way of accessing the clues tho.

D'you mean the general trailer or is there another for the second episode?

Also, we only seem to be able to see the second ep tonight so how has OWB already managed it?

Questioning minds seek answers.

I totally recommend this youtube channel btw, if you can get over their rambling there's some good observations in there and some tinfoil theories too:

They block out any boobies, nipples and genitals for yoochube, which gave them a hard time for the first episode with that room full of naked hosts.

The second episode was available early, for those with HBO subscription.

Yul Brynner was just great as the Gunslinger, OWB is right, Arnold must have seen him at some point and taken notes.

Definitely, as Cameron repeatedly said that Westworld's killer cowboy robot was the inspiration for the Terminator.

The series is an interesting new take on the original concept, as Crichton clearly lacked room and time for an in-depth treatment of the various themes, which he tried to develop longer with Jurassic Park (I always like when someone who apparently believes that the world began with him states that Westworld is a rehash of Jurassic Park !). With a darker tone, but ocasionnaly dark humour is present.

I went to see Crichton's business world thriller Disclosure in the cinema. According to that any woman in a position of power in the workplace is not to be trusted, because they will turn into sexually harassing man haters. I'm not sure that was a fantastic idea.

OK. here's my theory, after two whole episodes. It's actually The Tempest via Brave New World.

It is a new world where a man called Ford is revered, a world where everything is magic except to the magician.

Right, I'm off to bed now. Big day tomorrow.

The Ford thing had ocurred to me too.

Unrelatedly, sheet music for the theme is linked to from the video description, if that's anyone's thing

I think this reporter's got a bit ahead of himself, apparently confired though that we won't see Roman or Medieval World.

They may or may not be cooking up other themed worlds. Not so sure about Hull world. o_O

The Wild West-themed park that Westworld centres on offers plenty for us to try and get our heads around, but it sounds like future seasons will see Guests explore new environments.

In the original 1973 film, parent company Delos operates three areas: Western World, Roman World and Medieval World.

Asked this week whether we’ll ever see the other two, co-showrunner Jonathan Nolan said: I've been coming to New York Comic Con for seven years and I've never said a single thing of substance. They keep inviting me back but I've never answered a single question, not really. Does that answer?"

Indie

Sounds like a straight reversal of the man in power trope to me...
... Which was exactly, I think, what Crichton was getting at. It's a bit of a stretch to say he was having a go at all women!

We're enjoying Westward but after two whole episodes, I'm beginning to wonder about the entertainment offered in the Park. It seems to be all about rape and general violence.
The staff repeatedly patch up the abused Hosts and the fact that the Hosts' memories are carefully wiped is repeatedly mentioned; it's as if the Visitors are openly expected to attack and kill the Hosts, rather than, say, go prospecting for gold or visit friendly Indians.

In the first episode there was a hint of what the naughtier female guests might be up to, when a woman train passenger joked that she preferred the bad guys. Did she mean 'bad guys' in the sense of rather exciting anti heroes, or are there some sexy male Hosts who'll provide a perfect holiday romance?

Also, one of the Visitors in the second episode walks off with his arm around a male Host and invites the other to join him. Is that another attraction, that you can be gay or bisexual while you're there?

All very interesting.

Last edited:
That guy is seen again later with that host, doing more than just embracing him.

As we can see, Westworld has specific stories that they play out. That wouldn't work if the hosts retained their memories each time.

As we can see, Westworld has specific stories that they play out. That wouldn't work if the hosts retained their memories each time.

Yup, true, but on top of that, the staff specifically mention the necessity for the Hosts to forget their previous activities because the memories would be too horrific for them.

Hosts are given the concept of dreaming, or rather having nightmares, to cover the possibility of not having their memories completely wiped each night. So if they do remember something of what's gone on they are programmed to accept the memories as nightmares.

(Maeve has had this happen and has developed a strategy to deal with it. She teaches herself to count backwards from 3 and wake up. When she is put into Sleep Mode for repair she remembers a previous encounter with Indians and being scalped by Escaton.

As this comes across as a nightmare she wakes herself up in the middle of an operation/repair and sees other Hosts being processed. The staff recapture her and are obviously not going to report the incident in case they get into trouble. Human nature, y'know.)

That could use a Spoiler tag.

We're enjoying Westward but after two whole episodes, I'm beginning to wonder about the entertainment offered in the Park. It seems to be all about rape and general violence.

One of the 'players' that was introduced picked a black hat and the other white, so hopefully we'll get some idea of the different stories that can play out depending on the players choices.

Re sexuality, there was also a woman who seemed to be a prospective client of Maeve's, the one that got scared off after they ramped her 'aggression' setting up too much.

It's almost as if he was writing about people, not men and women....

It's OK, there was a nice lady in it too, in case you thought Mike had taken leave of his senses and definitely wasn't using the character to deflect criticism seeing as how she was only there to get promoted at the end. Of course, now the media is full of reports of women sexually harassing men in the workplace, just look how prescient Disclosure was. Good thing he didn't make it about a man sexually harassing a woman, or nobody would have believed it.

FFS its FICTION. What do you want? Women in fiction to never be bad, never be hurt, untouchable Mary Janes? Thats how you get NO women in fiction...

And yes, women DO sexually harass men, and its laughed off. Same as when a female teacher seduces a 14-year-old and she gets a slapped wrist in court and the comments in the paper are "Well, she's hot and he's a lucky boy". Same as that Scottish restaurant whose waiters had to stop wearing kilts due to the attentions of drunken female groups.

Drop the SJW stuf will you? Its getting tedious. Women are just people and don't need you white-knighting for them.

I just found it a hysterical tract that purported to have something important to say about the modern world, which was Crichton's stock in trade. I've noticed people do get hysterical on these subjects. Don't start Mike on global warming.

Kids like playing cowboys and the hosts are programmed to not hurt anyone.

A real mouse or computer mouse? Because I am still unsure of the former.

Remember the "Literally couldn't hurt a fly" comment?

There are many places I don't want kids around, they are still there.

Back