• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Westworld

So we have recorded the whole season so far.......... just don't seem to be able to muster up enthusiasm to watch it. Worth it or not? Discuss.

Yep, it's good stuff.

Watch the bit again where Bernard goes into the disused level, in the background there's:

yul%20be%20surprised_zpsbljvzf8e.png

Watch the bit again where Bernard goes into the disused level, in the background there's:

Wow! :eek:
Didn't see that!

I did however notice a
sound effect strongly reminiscent of the original fillum's 'Gunslinger' theme, with the distinctive mechanical pulsing.

Will have to watch again! :clap:

However, as
the original Gunslinger was destroyed by fire
I'm wondering what the craic is there.

Not sure if it's anything other than a cool reference... or maybe he wasn't quite finished.

Watched it again tonight and spotted that, about 9 minutes in. The shot lasts a few seconds and the early bit definitely shows
Brynner's distinctive features.

Well spotted indeed! :clap:

Bit of food for thought from episode 6 - when Bernard finds out about the unregistered hosts the computer tells him there's 5 of them, which works out if you cont Jock the dog in as a host - just we haven't seen animals referred to as hosts before, or really at all. o_O

There are animal hosts though. Maeve sees a bison, a sheep and a deer in the same place where the human-looking hosts are being made. Horses are also made there.

The real question to me is how a guest knows if the person they shoot at is a guest or a host. Though I guess allowances have to be made for the narrative to work.

There are animal hosts though. Maeve sees a bison, a sheep and a deer in the same place where the human-looking hosts are being made. Horses are also made there.

There are, I was meaning that we never hear them referred to as such. They seem to be regarded as inconsequential to the story.

Untill in a later episode where in a sudden turn of events, it is revealed that the horses are the real brains behind the operation.

There are, I was meaning that we never hear them referred to as such. They seem to be regarded as inconsequential to the story.

Ah yup, I see.
They could be programmed like the 'human' hosts are. Like the naughty schoolboy in Pinocchio.

I... am... Lampwick!

:eek:

Well hows about that then?

I don't get why the techs are afraid of Maeve. Likely they could shut her off or freeze her with a voice command, if things get heated.

They'd have to account for what's happened to her though and as everything she experiences is recorded they'll be caught when her frozen condition is discovered. Which it would be, right away, because she's a particularly useful and valuable host.

Probably needs watching again from the start now that we know that

the narration is unreliable when bernard is involved, we often don't see what he doesn't see, like the door to the little lab, the probably 3rd person in the 'Arnold' photograph... and what else is missing entirely?

I'm impressed with one of the easter eggs he's spotted that no-one else seems to have - there does appear to be the head of Sander Cohen (a character from the game bioshock) in the background of one shot!

Is anyone else enjoying spotting the
music
?

Yes, although my favourite piece after the theme is the synth track that is used a couple of times, first heard in part when Maeve is sat on the safe talking to Hector, then you get the whole thing at the end an episode or two later. Seems to be an original piece for the show that hasn't been released yet, so no idea what it's called.

Funny fan theory btw - when Dolores and William finally get to the church in the old town... they find the cast of Lost trapped in there. :p

Anyone else made it to the end?

Different to what I expected, still some nice surprises.

Good discussion of it below, with the actor who played Peter Abernathy... don't think we found out if his character made it onto the train?

To the end or to the middle? I might have to rewatch some of it, after that revelation.

It's now on Amazon, I've just started it. It's really having its cake and eating it too, so far.

To the end or to the middle? I might have to rewatch some of it, after that revelation.

I need to rewatch the whole thing when I have time, now that we know the narration is unreliable it puts a different perspective on a lot.

End of season 1... middle or beginning of something.

I'm up to episode 6 and struggling with trying to stay interested. This big twist at the end better be worth it, because so far it's like one of those boring cover versions of a great pop song that's redone slow and acoustic to make it more classy.

Six hours in and the robots haven't even revolted yet! The original moved like a rocket towards the mayhem, but this is really dragging. Plus I miss the dark humour of the 70s source, the closest we get to a joke here is the player piano's tinkly versions of pompous rock tunes like Radiohead, which is about as funny as... well, as Radiohead themselves. Big disappointment so far.

I'm up to episode 6 and struggling with trying to stay interested. This big twist at the end better be worth it, because so far it's like one of those boring cover versions of a great pop song that's redone slow and acoustic to make it more classy.

Six hours in and the robots haven't even revolted yet! The original moved like a rocket towards the mayhem, but this is really dragging. Plus I miss the dark humour of the 70s source, the closest we get to a joke here is the player piano's tinkly versions of pompous rock tunes like Radiohead, which is about as funny as... well, as Radiohead themselves. Big disappointment so far.

I never made it to the end of the first episode :oops: Mind you, I've never been a fan of the Western genre, so the whole look of it was putting me off too.

I never made it to the end of the first episode :oops: Mind you, I've never been a fan of the Western genre, so the whole look of it was putting me off too.

I actually like a good Western, and the original came along just as the genre was winding down as popular entertainment, with all the critiques that came with that - Westworld was the sci-fi assessment, Blazing Saddles was the comedy one, etc. Now the style is making a comeback (I read there were more Westerns made over the past year than superhero movies) the critiques are waking up too, I suppose.

If you're looking for mayhem I'd say you'll be disappointed.

Back