What Are You Eating & Drinking?

Lord Lucan

Abominable Snowman
Tonight's fare was much better than last night's...
To begin, Hainanese chicken with chili sambal on rice.
Followed by a sirloin steak with chimichurri sauce and fries.
Finished with a coconut panna cotta with with lemongrass syrup and rubarb from the restaurant's back garden.
All washed down with an agreeable local cool climate pinot gris.

dr wu

Doctor Prog
Just had a cup of coffee with a French butter cookie.....the cookies came in one of those Christmas box gift sets of food, chocolate, and tea, etc...

Skrymr

Abominable Snowman
4 ounce sirloin steak with a 4 egg omelette with onions, mushrooms and cheese and a bowl of strawberry granola and greek yoghurt. Oh and can't forget my pint mug of coffee.

James_H

And I like to roam the land
Oh jesus christ. I went to a Sichuan (Chongqing) style restaurant and ordered several things, including a bowl of tripe and noodles. When they asked me how spicy, I went for the spiciest option. I am no stranger to spicy food and will more-or-less happily eat a vindaloo or something of that ilk. These noodles very nearly killed me and I had to give up and leave it alone.

Luckily the rest of the stuff we ordered - barbecued things on sticks - was delicious.

For what it's worth, when I visited Chengdu I didn't find the food oppressively spicy. Perhaps outside of Sichuan restaurants feel compelled to play up the calling cards of sichuan food, i.e. chilli peppers and sichuan pepper. Or perhaps it is because this is Chongqing style, which is supposed to be hotter than Chengdu style.

6a681824-fb46-45a6-b57a-3981a5047600.jpeg

escargot

Beloved of Ra
Oh jesus christ. I went to a Sichuan (Chongqing) style restaurant and ordered several things, including a bowl of tripe and noodles. When they asked me how spicy, I went for the spiciest option. I am no stranger to spicy food and will more-or-less happily eat a vindaloo or something of that ilk. These noodles very nearly killed me and I had to give up and leave it alone.

Luckily the rest of the stuff we ordered - barbecued things on sticks - was delicious.

For what it's worth, when I visited Chengdu I didn't find the food oppressively spicy. Perhaps outside of Sichuan restaurants feel compelled to play up the calling cards of sichuan food, i.e. chilli peppers and sichuan pepper. Or perhaps it is because this is Chongqing style, which is supposed to be hotter than Chengdu style.
Looks delicious!

I need a curry as I'm starting with a cold, bugger. Currently drinking a LemSip and feeling sorry for myself.

onetwothree

Sigils, Prosecco and crying are my main talents.
It is, isn't it? Fancy name for a mundane chocolate sponge cake. Try Stollen, it's delicious, and proper Christmassy (as long as you like marzipan).
My Mum's German so Stollen has been a part of our Christmasses forever. Along with Dominosteine (which I made this year for the first time!)

James_H

And I like to roam the land
I had some excellent Japanese food earlier at a restaurant called Murakami - memorable for me because that's the name of the only Japanese writer I'm really familiar with. Wow! Sea urchin - octopus marinaded in wasabi - the whole shebang.

escargot

Beloved of Ra
Picked up four little tubs of cut mango and pineapple cheap so made them into a big sweet smoothie* and drank the lot.

*Y'know, just like me. You know it's true.

Coal

Polymath Renaissance Man, Italian Wiccan Anarchist
Veggie, shepherds pie made with dried soy to welcome home the last straggler.

escargot

Beloved of Ra
Excellent! I might not be allowed to say this next year, but I prefer Stollen to traditional British Christmas cake.
What I like about stollen is that it looks so unlike anything British. Rather foreign, in fact, so you can't guess how it'll taste or what the texture's like. When you do go for it you find it's delicious.

Same with panettoni. We had one for xmas a few years ago and thought 'What's this? Dry sponge cake?' and were AMAZED when we got round to trying it.

Next week we're having sauerkraut with holly on.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Had a chocolate and cherry panettone last year, which even I found a bit much. Back to a normal one this year.

Lord Lucan

Abominable Snowman
A club sandwich I made for my wife and myself washed down with a couple of gin & tonics (Tanqueray 10) pre-sandwich. Delicious.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
I think I've caught Skargy's cold so it's just a cup of tomato soup for me before I go to work.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Beef fried rice and prawn crackers from Cromer's China City and they let me have one of those papyrus calendars again.