What Are You Eating & Drinking?

Coal

Polymath Renaissance Man, Italian Wiccan Anarchist
Not at all. The venison, being so lean, requires fatty meat to prevent it from drying out in cooking.

maximus otter
Most game's like that. I've just been gifted two brace of pheasants and they need casseroling or if not, something fatty needs adding to the cooking process.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Thanks for the info. I'm thankful not to have any blood pressure problems myself, but someone close to me does, and any info like this is of interest to me.
Marmalade Manslaughter is to be avoided whenever possible (unless you're creating a title for a thrash metal song or something)

Skrymr

Abominable Snowman
100g of ASDA protein oaties with 300ml of unsweetened almond milk
Pint of Breyers cookies and cream
Pizza and chips.

Leg day has turned me into a bottomless pit

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
I am bored with ham! I will turn the remains of it into a risotto, I think, but I don't want to have that tonight.

There is no other fresh meat in and I have finished the cheese. Vegetarian options are tempting me right now . . .

Dhal and rice with aubergine and maybe the acorn squash that has lingered on the kitchen table for weeks.

The overripe bananas might add a fruity depth to the dhal. That's my next hour's work cut out. :chef:

hunck

Justified & Ancient
Following on from my excursions into game, having had venison & wood pigeon fairly recently, I had some Partridge breasts the other day. Very nice - a bit expensive but a treat.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
I picked up a few bottles of not-so-festive ale in cardboard cylinders from Tesco, since they were on offer. £1 for 33cl

Winter Wonderale, it's called - by its maker, anyway, who happens to be a Mr Whitehead of Hampshire!

I think 4% is on the low-side for a seasonal brew you expect to be warming. It turns out to be bottle-conditioned, with the sediment the tastiest part. I think I'll blend the rest of it with some Hobgoblin, for body and depth. Sorry, Mr Whitehead! :pthumbsd:

Last edited:

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
:eek:

It wasn’t cooked properly. It needs extra fat, or to be cooked in a casserole or similar style.

The mem uses Thomasina Miers’ recipe for venison with chilli and chocolate from The Wild Gourmets: Adventures in Food and Freedom as a real crowd-pleaser. I think that this recipe is very similar:

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/spiced-braised-venison-chilli-chocolate

:dinner:

maximus otter
Yeah, I told my friend it needed lardons to make the meat moist. It was a bit overcooked.

Bad Bungle

King of the Trilobites
The last of the smoked oysters on Pringles ( Sour Cream & Onion) with a gifted bottle of Glögg Saffranssmak (IKEA), which tastes of Covonia and does the same job.

Bad Bungle

King of the Trilobites
Loved the sound so I had to look those up! Saffron-infused white wine that tastes of cough medicine? Gifted?

I think it calls for some Retchina in return! :gobs:
Last had Retsina many many years ago in Jimmy's in Soho - quite quaffable after the 2nd bottle (if you persevere). This IKEA cough medicine I'm sipping my way through is 15% vol and doesn't taste of saffron, but it was a gift from the Head of IT (Swedish) which I didn't deserve. Skål

Krepostnoi

Crabbier than usual
Fresh baguette, danish blue cheese, and a Da Lat Merlot which is a very acceptable accompaniment. All my pists (and I shall preserve that - in typo veritas, after all...) time-stamped this evening should be read in that vein. Oh, and 1000 Volts of Holt as the soundtrack.

James_H

And I like to roam the land
Back in Hong Kong after two weeks, so we had the most Hong Kong dinner possible: roast meats (char siu, duck, sausage, pork) with rice and milk tea.

Skrymr

Abominable Snowman
Monthly cheat meal day: 2 chicken and brie sandwiches with mustard and mayo, "sharing" bag of peanut M&M's, crisps, bar of nougat

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
An enormous fruit plate, with additional prunes, dates, almonds and pumpkin seeds.

Today's outlook: Windy with a strong chance of heavy precipitation.

maximus otter

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
I will buy odd, flavoured cheeses when they are giving them away nearly. They seem to have so little faith in White Stilton that it's easier to find it tricked out with all kinds of stuff than straight. So I had a piece of it flavoured with mango and pieces of ginger. I suppose it would go with Christmas Cake, Apple Pies or maybe with some grapes at the end of a meal.

I wondered if it would work as a savoury snack, so I layered it with some fresh onion and tomato in a gluten-free, seeded bun, like a double-decker sandwich, wrapped it in foil and stuck it in the oven for twenty minutes. It was certainly quite sweet but the flavours came together nicely and it was not cloying. I have some of the cheese left - not bad, for a 30p. impulse-buy. :dinner:

Rerenny

Justified & Ancient
cauliflower popcorn.

I am munching my way through the M&S vegan offerings and they are quite yummy! My point of "go on then, I'll give it a go" was their vegan dirty fries which turned out to be delicious despite vegan cheese being involved. Speaking as a non-vegan, more power to supermarkets making the alternatives so scrumptious. I can't always be arsed to make a salad when I get home so this is a nice alternative to the usual ready-meal.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Having posted once today about bargain cheese, my luck continued on a late forage at the local Tesco. I suppose it is the season to find festive cheeses at the end of their sell-by tether. Waxed 100 g. mini-truckles of Wensleydale with apricots could be had for 6p. instead of £1 each tonight. Four went in the basket, which was not madly greedy, as there were several left. Two larger offerings were the last of their kind: a 200 g. mini-truckle of cheese with rum and raisins and peel, the truckle designed to appear like an iced Christmas Cake. 16 p. instead of £2 something. The best was a potted, agèd Stilton with a sachet of port glaze and a quaint, little spoon, 240 g. of cheese, I think and down to 75 p. from a silly £6 tag originally.

It's a while since I had a potted Stilton but I can remember that the blue veins develop quite quickly once you break the seal.

Having made a big batch of minced-beef sugo, I am now thinking of a lasagne with layers of blue cheese sauce. :hunger:

Last edited:

Skrymr

Abominable Snowman
Having posted once today about bargain cheese, my luck continued on a late forage at the local Tesco. I suppose it is the season to find festive cheeses at the end of their sell-by tether. Waxed 100 gr. mini-truckles of Wensleydale with apricots could be had for 6p.instead of £1 each tonight. Four went in the basket, which was not madly greedy, as there were several left. Two larger offerings were the last of their kind: a 200 gr mini-truckle of cheese with rum and raisins and peel, the truckle designed to appear like an iced Christmas Cake. 16 p. instead of £2 something. The best was a potted, agèd Stilton with a sachet of port glaze and a quaint, little spoon, 240 gr. of cheese, I think and down to 75 p. from a silly £6 tag originally.

It's a while since I had a potted Stilton but I can remember that the blue veins develop quite quickly when you break the seal.

Having made a big batch of minced-beef sugo, I am now thinking of a lasagne with layers of blue cheese sauce. :hunger:
I had a bit of a cheese haul too. 3 wheels of brie for £1 each,tons of blue cheese, a red Leicester with chillies in etc :D

escargot

Beloved of Ra
I had a bit of a cheese haul too. 3 wheels of brie for £1 each,tons of blue cheese, a red Leicester with chillies in etc :D
Ohhh I'm jealous! :mad:

My cheese haul is good too: a load of brie wedges, a big block of that cathedral-themed one, a nice chunk of Stilton with stuff in, etc.
The only thing that makes cheese nicer is a box of assorted posh crackers and a cucumber. Both are present. It's going to be a good week.

plastic wiganer

Ephemeral Spectre
im being really healthy /boring tonight... salad for dinner (tea if your northern like me) earlier and a cup of PG Tips just now... ON A SATURDAY NIGHT