What Are You Eating & Drinking?

INT21

Justified & Ancient
One of my favorited take away meals is 'Meat Rogan Josh' No idea what the meat is, but if it tastes good, who cares ?

INT21

Probably mutton, otherwise the menu would say 'lamb' - nowt wrong with that. It's a great dish to cook at home too as can be slow-cooked in er, a slow cooker or conventional oven with delicious results.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
'Meat Rogan Josh'
I understand there is a traditional reluctance to name cow-meat on "Indian" menus. In the UK, "meat" is more likely to be beef than lamb, which tends to be more expensive. There is no taboo, I think, about naming lamb.

I think lamb - or mutton* - is the best, easily-available meat for curries, as the fat seems to carry the aromatic spices and garlic especially well. I have rarely eaten goat but enjoyed it when I did. Many Asian and African cooks swear by goat as the ideal. :dinner:

*The only easily-available and affordable mutton is Halal. Some people do try to avoid animals slaughtered the Halal way, though I believe it remains the case that a great deal of unlabelled meat is surplus from Halal abattoirs.

Last edited:
Yes indeed, I was going to mention goat as it's rather similar to mutton, being fatty and strongly flavoured and relatively tough - needs plenty of cooking - but unlikely to be encountered much over here. Can goat meat even be sold legally in the UK?* Our goat farms are all dairy aren't they? I mean to say I've had goat in Caribbean restaurants but never seen it on sale, even in a Cash 'n' Carry or ethnic market (maybe that restaurant 'curry goat' isn't actually goat but sheep?)

As you'll know, most 'Indian' restaurants are run by Pakistanis / Bangladeshis*, who tend to be Muslim and yet not being subject to Hindu dietary restrictions will cook you a beef steak but not use cow in a curry - or at least they'll balk at identifying it as such, so maybe it is considered a dirty or substandard product as you suggest, aside from the perceived sacredness of the living animal. I'm a little troubled by the halal business although many people aren't.

* An Indian friend (non-observant Hindu) of mine sometimes gets very aerated about this as he can't take his drink and is a massive racist :) I've seen some photographs of British 'Indian' restaurants from the 1950s and the term that was often used was 'Indo-Pak' - to make it clear that they were providing food from the Indian Subcontinent and not pretending to be authentically Indian as such. Indeed many restaurants advertise 'tandoori cuisine' for the same reason....and yet my nationalistic pal is correct: there are 'Indian' restaurants run by people who've never even been to the country, though this seems fine to me as any potential customer knows it's a kind of vague euphemism.

Mmm, mutton.

*Checked: yes goat flesh easily available if you go looking for it.

Last edited:

James_H

And I like to roam the land
Goat meat was briefly a fad being supposedly healthier than other red meats. It's delicious of course.

Rogan Josh should be goat or mutton. If it's not labelled it's probably mutton, a perfectly good meat with a marketing problem in the UK.

And yet you can get kangaroo and ostritch in Iceland nowadays! No goat though.

There's a Wild Food pop-up place roundabouts that I'm sure does squirrel and things but I haven't been yet.

Bring on the unicorn vindaloo!

James_H

And I like to roam the land
And yet you can get kangaroo and ostritch in Iceland nowadays! No goat though.

There's a Wild Food pop-up place roundabouts that I'm sure does squirrel and things but I haven't been yet.

Bring on the unicorn vindaloo!
You can get goat in Harrods or probably the market in Peckham.

In Hong Kong you can barely get lamb, it's a frustratingly uncommon and expensive meat.

Lord Lucan

Ephemeral Spectre
We've had similar today Lord Lucan, it was my turn to cook so I grilled, peppered and browned off two chicken fillets then made a creamy white wine sauce with some mushroom quarters chucked into that to keep that all on a low heat. We also had green beans and crinkly chips which was all delicious but it's given us both the farts, we're off down the pier now with a bottle of red and my handheld transistor radio. Heaven.
Sounds like an evening worth repeating often (minus the farting).

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Sounds like an evening worth repeating often (minus the farting).
That wasn't sea fog in Cromer last night ... it dropped to 2 degrees so we were f*****g freezing. We do as many 'tramps on the pier' nights as we can.

Coal

Polymath Renaissance Man, Italian Wiccan Anarchist
Confusing innit? How different from the traditional US approach to cheese where you can have a yellow one or an orange one *runs away*
They have an orange one? Who knew?

INT21

Justified & Ancient
..C'mon... somebody somewhere must have had a go. ..

As I said, 'never question what is in the keema'.

When I was in Iraq, and the family was there, we used to get some burgers from a local kiosk.

The kids asked me what they were made off and I replied 'camel'.

They have never forgotten this, and often refer to the camel burgers we used to buy.

INT21.

You never know .... did the meat look at all 'unusual'?

The only Iraqi meal I've ever had was amazing - if rather similar to Greek / Turkish - lots of lamb but no camel. Arabella Weir, who lived in the Middle East for a while reckons roast stuffed camel is delicious, and that's good enough for me.

INT21

Justified & Ancient
Once went on a diet over there (when the family had returned to the UK). Lived of dates, grilled lamb and lhassi. Probably mispelled that. but it is a very thin yogurt.

INT21.