What Are You Eating & Drinking?

INT21

Justified & Ancient
...not least because to Americans pants are trousers but to us Brits they're underwear...

Not around here. Pants are trousers.

Last edited:

escargot

Beloved of Ra
[QUOTE="escargot, post: 1822583, member: 519"Today is Soup Day. Yesterday I made some from a load of cut-price pulses...
Earlier this morning, Sunday and consequentially, 'Soup Day', this an heartfelt endeavor to use some wonderful ingredients that you always wanted to try, ye tl[/QUOTE]

Used to have a custom of making soup from whatever was lying around in the fridge and HAVING to eat it no matter how nasty it was. Great fun!
These days I'm a little more organised and have the soup maker. It's like my right hand man.

hunck

Justified & Ancient
I love garlic & often stick several cloves in the oven when doing jacket spuds or something. If you get it right they come out slightly crispy on the outside & creamy on the inside with an overall lovely chewiness. Had some with sea bass, crispy jacket spuds, salad.

Comfortably Numb

Justified & Ancient
Earlier this morning, Sunday and consequentially, 'Soup Day'...
I am a soup afficiendo...

Massive, 'Foodie'... eventually realised my culinary limits... and... soup was the new, 'Rock and Roll'.

One of my first attempts, for reasons unfathomable, was a red cabbage soup.

Left it cooking overnight... probably a wee bit too long...

Kinda forgot about it and didn't come back home next day until later.

By which time, the soup had turned fluorescent...

To such an extent, if put out in the garden, you could see the light from four miles around.

Not my finest...

Last edited:

escargot

Beloved of Ra
I am a soup afficiendo...

Massive, 'Foodie'... eventually realised my culinary limits... and... soup was the new, 'Rock and Roll'.

One of my first attempts, for reasons unfathomable, was a red cabbage soup.

Left it cooking overnight... probably a wee bit too long...

Kinda forgot about it and didn't come back home next day until later.

By which time, the soup had turned fluorescent...

To such an extent, if put out in the garden, you could see the light from four miles around.

Not my finest...
You have to eat it though, them's the rules!

I once grew a load of sage and stuck some in a soup. Well, I say 'some' sage, it was actually more like La Grande Sage Soup.

Worst thing I've ever made - like how you'd expect a pan of bracken boiled up to taste, maybe with added sheep-droppings. I still ate it all. Absolutely horrible.

AlchoPwn

Public Service is my Motto.
Private Eye had a cartoon captioned 'How Brits See Americans', where a guy buys a hamburger and the seller asks 'You want a gun with that?'
No but I'll take a side order of a thousand rounds of 7.62x39 to go.:fire:I'm taking a craft course at the local highschool.
:jtease:

gerhard1

Abominable Snowman
What, exactly, are tater-tots?
This is easier than my describing them. From wiki:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tater_tots

Tater tots

A close-up of a plate of tater tots
Alternative names Tots, potato rounds, potato puffs, tater puffs, potato cylinders, potato nuggets, potato croquettes, baby tatersCourse Entrée or side dish, sometimes as part of a main coursePlace of origin United StatesRegion or state Ontario, OregonCreated by F. Nephi Grigg, and Golden Grigg[1][2][3] (in 1953)Serving temperature Hot (shipped frozen)Main ingredients Potato
Food energy
(per serving)

160 per 86g serving[4] kcal

Tater tots (which are put under many different labels outside the US) are pieces of deep-fried, grated potatoes served as a side dish.[1] They are recognized by their compact cylindrical shape and crispy colored exterior. The term is a registered trademark of Ore-Ida (a division of the H. J. Heinz Company, L.P.), but it is often used as a generic term.[5]

They're actually rather good, but I prefer french fries. (chips to you folks in the UK) And they are one of the foods that I like with ketchup.

Shady

DEATHS Kitty
So tater tots are roast lil taters? nope they are croquettes, dont like them, but love roasties

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
This is easier than my describing them. From wiki:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tater_tots

Tater tots

A close-up of a plate of tater tots
Alternative names Tots, potato rounds, potato puffs, tater puffs, potato cylinders, potato nuggets, potato croquettes, baby tatersCourse Entrée or side dish, sometimes as part of a main coursePlace of origin United StatesRegion or state Ontario, OregonCreated by F. Nephi Grigg, and Golden Grigg[1][2][3] (in 1953)Serving temperature Hot (shipped frozen)Main ingredients Potato
Food energy
(per serving)

160 per 86g serving[4] kcal

Tater tots (which are put under many different labels outside the US) are pieces of deep-fried, grated potatoes served as a side dish.[1] They are recognized by their compact cylindrical shape and crispy colored exterior. The term is a registered trademark of Ore-Ida (a division of the H. J. Heinz Company, L.P.), but it is often used as a generic term.[5]

They're actually rather good, but I prefer french fries. (chips to you folks in the UK) And they are one of the foods that I like with ketchup.
Got it.

French fries are not chips though.

Chips

IMG_5442-58b427d35f9b586046d8dfa1.JPG

French Fries

french-fries.jpg

INT21

Justified & Ancient
Black coffee (again).

But later tonight it will be Chorizo and sprout soup.

And maybe a batch of veg' stock to go in the freezer.

INT21.

cycleboy2

Abominable Snowman
Black coffee (again).

But later tonight it will be Chorizo and sprout soup.

And maybe a batch of veg' stock to go in the freezer.

INT21.
Lawks a lawdy, that'll clear the office/house/bar etc later... says the man who's having lentil burgers, leeks, broccoli, carrots and mange tout!!

INT21

Justified & Ancient
Fear not, I have already reduced the sensitivity of the house methane detector. Don't want to be awakened every time someone 'lets one out'.

In fact, I'm off to make the soup now. It'll be a gas; or it will eventually.

INT21.

escargot

Beloved of Ra
Scored a couple of these, £1 each down from £5.
Must admit, I'd've bought 10 at that price! Sadly there were only those two.

Giant Ferrero Rocher

It's a ball, bigger than a tennis ball, made of the FR chocolate (with the bits in) and there're two regular FR chocs inside.

All gone now, heh.

Last edited:

INT21

Justified & Ancient
A success !, But I knew it would be. After all, I made it, how could it fail ?

Yes, the soup was very nice. my wife gave it the seal of approval.

The secret, though every real man already knows this, is that you need a glass of red wine to sip on as you cook, It's bad karma not to do this.

I was wanting a name for my home made red wine. It is now 'No 63, Chef's special reserve.

What's next ? 'Find something to do with these courgettes before I have to throw them out' was the command.

So it will be Courgette and Golden Shallot soup in a couple of days. As a starter to my wife's Cheese and Courgette flan'. A winning combination.

Back in the groove. ;)

INT21.

INT21

Justified & Ancient
Comfortably numb,

Another 'soupy' ! Hail fellow, well met'.

..was a red cabbage soup...

Would that be Borsch ?

I understand that the Russians live on that, and Vodka.

Haven't tried to make it yet. But once made a tasty cabbage soup with a Greyhound cabbage.

INT21.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Comfortably numb,

Another 'soupy' ! Hail fellow, well met'.

..was a red cabbage soup...

Would that be Borsch ?

I understand that the Russians live on that, and Vodka.

Haven't tried to make it yet. But once made a tasty cabbage soup with a Greyhound cabbage.

INT21.
Had borsh in Poland. Good stuff for cold weather with vodka to accompany it.