What Are You Eating & Drinking?

gerhard1

Abominable Snowman
I'm fixing some tolorini. It is a dish I learned from my late mother. Right now, I'm drinking a Miller High Life.

James_H

And I like to roam the land
Had a couple of Vietnamese craft beers with interesting adjuncts - one lemongrass, one kumquat. Both were very hop-forward, American IPA style, and the flavours mix very well. To my surprise. Cheers!

INT21

Justified & Ancient
Kale appears to be becoming the 'in' food amongst the healthy eating people.

Don't think I've ever tried it.

Chinese cabbage is probably the closest I've come.

Bad Bungle

King of the Trilobites
Used to grow field of kale as cattle fodder, I guess I still think of it as that. My elder sister picked the kale for her rabbits when we were kids, she knew not to feed them leaves if wet with dew. But she was late for school one time and just shook the moisture off - both rabbits dead in a pool of diarrhea by the time she got home.
Anyway I don't like the taste of chlorophyll.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Used to grow field of kale as cattle fodder, I guess I still think of it as that. My elder sister picked the kale for her rabbits when we were kids, she knew not to feed them leaves if wet with dew. But she was late for school one time and just shook the moisture off - both rabbits dead in a pool of diarrhea by the time she got home.
Anyway I don't like the taste of chlorophyll.
Hmmm. Not sure I know how a bit of dew would cause that.

gerhard1

Abominable Snowman
I just got a wok and used it to make a pretty decent chicken stir-fry. Next I'll try to make a Filipino dish called pancit. (pronounced pawn sett) It is made with meat and veggies sauted in light oil, and then cooked in a broth with rice noodles and/or bean threads added. Served with fresh lemon, and soy sauce, it is quite tasty.

gerhard1

Abominable Snowman
My late mother was a fantastic cook and she used to work around a few Filipinas and they showed her how to make a dish called pancit. (pronounced pawn sit). That was a dish that I hadn't had for a long time and I remembered it very fondly, but I was somewhat hesitant to make it for fear that I'd mess up.

The other day, a shipment of what are called bean threads and rice sticks (very thin rice noodles) arrived so I decided to embark upon the adventure. Carrots and celery were very thinly sliced, and some green onions were cut, and some frozen chicken breast was tenderized and a ham steak was diced. Some vegetable oil was heated up in my new wok, along with some garlic and some of the green onions.

Once they were browned, the chicken was sauted and then the ham. These were taken out and put aside, and after it cooled the chicken was diced. The carrots and celery was then stir-fried, and some chicken stock was added.

While that was cooking, I soaked some of the rice sticks in cold water for ten minutes and removed it from the water and added it to the stir fry, along with some oyster sauce and let the noodles cook. I sliced a lemon in two and dished it up. Soy sauce and freshly squeezed lemon juice completed it and it was excellent.

The pancit and an adult beverage made for an immensely pleasing repast. My better half was delighted.

Verbal Earthworm

_Anagrammatical_

escargot

Beloved of Ra
Hmmm. Not sure I know how a bit of dew would cause that.
It's not the dew itself that's the problem, if rabbits have the same problem with greens as horses have with grass.

If grass is high in fructans, which are a non-structural carbohydrate, it will make horses ill because horses cannot readily digest them. As the levels of fructans vary at different times of the day and the growing cycle, horse-owners keep an eye on how the grass is growing and how much of it their horses eat.

So perhaps similar applies to feeding kale to rabbits, and a rule of thumb is to avoid kale with dew on because it's been picked too early?

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Red Bush Tea is not, strictly, a tea.

I used to buy it quite often and enjoyed it - the vanilla taste is natural to the bush. Your bags seem to have been "accented" by some additional petals and berries.

I will look out for some Rooibos this afternoon, now . . . :btime:
It works for me as I'm obsessive about hydration and sip all day. Black tea late at night threatens insomnia, but--as you say--this is non-caffeinated.

I like the idea of fruit teas ('infusions'), but they tend to be rather insipid in the delivery despite the pleasing hues.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Not bought any rooibos yet and I am a day late with the pancakes.

As a wheat-dodger, they will be made with rice-flour. Sometimes these benefit from some yeast but I had some Marston's Pedigree to hand. As it is bottle-conditioned these days, I opted for a beer batter. Well half beer, half skimmed-milk. I'm giving the batter a good hour to mature, before I start the cooking. It is fairly runny but rice can make for stodgy pancakes. Fingers crossed for these . . . :dinner: