What Are You Eating & Drinking?

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
My housemate liked a 9 on that toast scale. He ruined my previous toaster - it was coated inside with caramelised bread.
I had to search for a long time to find a new ultra-wide toaster to replace it.
Years ago I owned a lovely extra-wide toaster that you could do French bread in. The ex used it to toast FROZEN POTATO CAKES* and it naturally jammed, caught fire and burned the wallpaper off.

So I sulkily replaced it with a cheapo one which the ex allowed the kids to use on the kitchen windowsill next to the curtains and the open window. This time the entire kitchen was burned out.

*I think we know who the REAL potato cake was here.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Years ago I owned a lovely extra-wide toaster that you could do French bread in. The ex used it to toast FROZEN POTATO CAKES* and it naturally jammed, caught fire and burned the wallpaper off.

So I sulkily replaced it with a cheapo one which the ex allowed the kids to use on the kitchen windowsill next to the curtains and the open window. This time the entire kitchen was burned out.

*I think we know who the REAL potato cake was here.
I can see why he's the ex!

James_H

And I like to roam the land
I've lucked out with my neighbor/landlady, a very friendly granny. She spent the whole day cooking hundreds of lor Mai gai to sell, on a wood fire, and gave me four. They are packets of sticky rice with meat, dried scallops, red beans etc inside, wrapped in a leaf and steamed.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
I've lucked out with my neighbor/landlady, a very friendly granny. She spent the whole day cooking hundreds of lor Mai gai to sell, on a wood fire, and gave me four. They are packets of sticky rice with meat, dried scallops, red beans etc inside, wrapped in a leaf and steamed.
Sounds delicious, save me a couple please.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Just a bowl of cereal and some coffee. Nothing exciting. I'm saving myself as we travel to Singapore in 48 hours and upon arrival I turn into Homer Simpson - ''My gastronomic capacity knows no satiety.''

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
That's a bit drastic! If it's to fend off a problem diabetes it's well worth it.
Yes, it's supposed to get me off the diabetes medication and get my blood sugar back to normal.
I don't know if I can stick it for 12 weeks without cracking. We'll see.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Good luck with it! You may want to avoid this thread . . .

I'm going to finish off some Tom Yum soup. It was assembled from one of those pretend-cooking kits, under Tesco's own brand. They look quite appealing with a highly-visible pouch of whole, dried spices but the rest of the kit is a small sachet of red curry paste and a larger foil pouch of coconut milk. For not much more than the original asking-price, you could get a can of coconut milk, a jar of red paste and a bag of whole fresh Thai spices. Anyway the Tesco version isn't bad and I gave only a pound for it.

Going online, I was surprised to learn that authentic versions of the soup call for evaporated milk, not coconut milk! I checked a few sites, to make sure it was not a sponsored plug for Carnation products. Seems not! :chef:

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Hmmm.
I just tried the 'vegetable soup' option, which was (frankly) disgusting. I am drinking lots of water to clear my palate.
This diet is not as good as the Cambridge Diet, and I struggled with that.

It's going to be a long haul. I am one of those awkward people who actually likes food.

James_H

Good luck with it! You may want to avoid this thread . . .

I'm going to finish off some Tom Yum soup. It was assembled from one of those pretend-cooking kits, under Tesco's own brand. They look quite appealing with a highly-visible pouch of whole, dried spices but the rest of the kit is a small sachet of red curry paste and a larger foil pouch of coconut milk. For not much more than the original asking-price, you could get a can of coconut milk, a jar of red paste and a bag of whole fresh Thai spices. Anyway the Tesco version isn't bad and I gave only a pound for it.

Going online, I was surprised to learn that authentic versions of the soup call for evaporated milk, not coconut milk! I checked a few sites, to make sure it was not a sponsored plug for Carnation products. Seems not! :chef:
For future reference: you can get the fresh spices for Tom yam in a little pack in an Asian supermarket.

Floyd1

Ephemeral Spectre

Floyd1

Ephemeral Spectre
For future reference: you can get the fresh spices for Tom yam in a little pack in an Asian supermarket.
I think that soup (and most other similar produce) sold in tins is THE biggest rip off. You can make a HUGE amount of homemade for not much more than the price they charge for one tin. It's the same with sauces like pasta sauce, where it will claim to have mushrooms or peppers in and there's about two pieces- if you're lucky.

James_H

I think that soup (and most other similar produce) sold in tins is THE biggest rip off. You can make a HUGE amount of homemade for not much more than the price they charge for one tin. It's the same with sauces like pasta sauce, where it will claim to have mushrooms or peppers in and there's about two pieces- if you're lucky.
How about ordering tea in a café? The cost of a teabag, hot water and (optional) 1cm of milk is... not the price you pay for it.

Floyd1

Ephemeral Spectre
Rent, rates, utilities, staff costs. Little profit in a cup of tea.
True, and of course no one is forcing us to go to such places. The same with supermarkets. And people can waste their money how they like I suppose. It just amazes me how some don't even bother to check (and they're the ones who usually complain about having no money). I pointed out to a lady the other day that the loose parsnips she was intending to buy cost a lot more that the pre-bagged ones directly above that she hadn't even seen. She was very suprised and thanked me. Only saved her a quid or so but it all adds up....