What Are You Eating & Drinking?

Ladyloafer

Abominable Snowman
i just had some blueberry cake from sainsburys, made instore using (allegedly) out of code blueberry that otherwise would've gone to waste. it was delish.

James_H

And I like to roam the land
Good luck with it! You may want to avoid this thread . . .

I'm going to finish off some Tom Yum soup. It was assembled from one of those pretend-cooking kits, under Tesco's own brand. They look quite appealing with a highly-visible pouch of whole, dried spices but the rest of the kit is a small sachet of red curry paste and a larger foil pouch of coconut milk. For not much more than the original asking-price, you could get a can of coconut milk, a jar of red paste and a bag of whole fresh Thai spices. Anyway the Tesco version isn't bad and I gave only a pound for it.

Going online, I was surprised to learn that authentic versions of the soup call for evaporated milk, not coconut milk! I checked a few sites, to make sure it was not a sponsored plug for Carnation products. Seems not! :chef:
This is the kind of thing you may be able to get in the Asian supermarket - evaporated milk not included

Attachments

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
I don't drink many spirits other than dark rum in the winter, and when I do have whisky it's usually a neat single malt, but I recently had a Japanese highball for the first time (a 'scotch and soda' with ice) and I'll admit that it was quite refreshing in the hot weather and not at all the complete waste of time and money I'd previously assumed it would be.

I'd take a mojito or a tequila sunrise first every day of the week (well, not literally), but while they're on special offer at my local bar I may indulge further.

James_H

I don't drink many spirits other than dark rum in the winter, and when I do have whisky it's usually a neat single malt, but I recently had a Japanese highball for the first time (a 'scotch and soda' with ice) and I'll admit that it was quite refreshing in the hot weather and not at all the complete waste of time and money I'd previously assumed it would be.

I'd take a mojito or a tequila sunrise first every day of the week (well, not literally), but while they're on special offer at my local bar I may indulge further.
Speaking of dark rum, I'm on the SangSom, Thai 'Whisky' (rum) that is cheap as chips in Thailand but not widely available elsewhere... Goes well with soda water. About Japanese highballs — to me they're a waste of good scotch.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Speaking of dark rum, I'm on the SangSom, Thai 'Whisky' (rum) that is cheap as chips in Thailand but not widely available elsewhere... Goes well with soda water. About Japanese highballs — to me they're a waste of good scotch.
Now, that would have been my opinion before.

But in a situation where it was hot and dry and I didn't want a 'hard drink', a tall cold glass with a lighter alcoholic load kind of worked.

Not heard of SangSom. Will investigate.

James_H

Now, that would have been my opinion before.

But in a situation where it was hot and dry and I didn't want a 'hard drink', a tall cold glass with a lighter alcoholic load kind of worked.

Not heard of SangSom. Will investigate.
In my experience of Thailand that's exactly how people drink it – in large quantities with a lot of ice and soda. Helps with the climate. SangSom is one brand, the other cheap and prevalent one is called Hong Thong. There are more expensive brands which are really nice in my experience.

Tempest63

Ephemeral Spectre

Goslings Black Seal is our favourite dark rum, though their Gold Seal is also Jolly Good. I got a bottle (Gold Seal) last Sunday for Father’s Day but am on a course of metronidazole for another week so it sits...calling my name...unopened...and lonely

Last edited:

Tempest63

Ephemeral Spectre
Giving Mrs T63 a well earned lay in. I got up to look after the puppy who is mad as a box of frogs first thing in the morning. Went to make toast but the bread is mouldy, one of the drawbacks of making your own is it doesn’t last long. So black coffee and no toast for another four and a half hours whilst the bread maker struts it’s funky stuff.

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Bought discounted yoghurt from Waitrose - Onken Plain Grain but I didn't check. It's yoghurt with raw grain - grain as in wheat and barley, in a yoghurt. With grain. I want some self-respect back.

Onken_11.jpg

James_H

Drinking: Löwenbräu.

I just chanced to go into the curiously named bar, 'Better 'Ole', in Sheung Shui, the town I live nearest to. It turns out to have quite an interesting backstory...

It was set up by an ex-serviceman of the Lincolnshire Yeomanry who was demobbed in 1918. After various adventures around China, he moved to Hong Kong in 1949 and set up a pub which was very much forces-only and was the only place in the new Territories to serve fish and chips and faggots... There are newspaper clippings on the wall about the fights that broke out there. The original pub was in fanling but a few more seem to have opened up since. Not much evidence of British soldiers in the place now, but then again why would there be?

Headline of a 1952 clipping on the wall: "BETTER OLE" IN N.T. SERVES FISH, CHIPS; SERVICEMEN DELIGHTED.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Drinking: Löwenbräu.

I just chanced to go into the curiously named bar, 'Better 'Ole', in Sheung Shui, the town I live nearest to. It turns out to have quite an interesting backstory...

It was set up by an ex-serviceman of the Lincolnshire Yeomanry who was demobbed in 1918. After various adventures around China, he moved to Hong Kong in 1949 and set up a pub which was very much forces-only and was the only place in the new Territories to serve fish and chips and faggots... There are newspaper clippings on the wall about the fights that broke out there. The original pub was in fanling but a few more seem to have opened up since. Not much evidence of British soldiers in the place now, but then again why would there be?

Headline of a 1952 clipping on the wall: "BETTER OLE" IN N.T. SERVES FISH, CHIPS; SERVICEMEN DELIGHTED.
Named after a cartoon character from WW1.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Better_'Ole
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Bill_(comics)

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
In my experience of Thailand that's exactly how people drink it – in large quantities with a lot of ice and soda. Helps with the climate. SangSom is one brand, the other cheap and prevalent one is called Hong Thong. There are more expensive brands which are really nice in my experience.
I've had Mekong/Mekhong Whisky which was more like a rum many moons ago in Thailand. I seem to recall drinking it mixed with Sprite and a lot of lime juice. I also have a vague recollection of being told that drinking 9 of them was considered lucky. I'm not sure if the last part is a memory hazy from the years past since or from actually drinking 9 of them.

James_H

I've had Mekong/Mekhong Whisky which was more like a rum many moons ago in Thailand. I seem to recall drinking it mixed with Sprite and a lot of lime juice. I also have a vague recollection of being told that drinking 9 of them was considered lucky. I'm not sure if the last part is a memory hazy from the years past since or from actually drinking 9 of them.
The number 9 is lucky in Thailand because the word, 'gao', sounds like something auspicious. This amuses me because in Cantonese the number 9 is also pronounced 'gao', which sounds like 'penis and it's often used as a stand in texting and internet slang.

INT21

Antediluvian
Just finished another frikadellen.

I do like them, but will be glad when the pack is finished. One can have too much of a good thing.

Hey, Dr wu, which coffee do you prefer ?

INT21.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Tried a macaroni cheese made with rice pasta (well, it doesn't have any mushrooms in it). It tasted... like macaroni cheese.

dr wu

Doctor Prog
Just finished another frikadellen.

I do like them, but will be glad when the pack is finished. One can have too much of a good thing.

Hey, Dr wu, which coffee do you prefer ?

INT21.
I'm not picky...but right now we are using Seattle's Best...medium blend. I use both cream and sugar....not a fan of black coffee though I know many are.