INT21

Antediluvian
Cream AND sugar. ! My God, a Barbarian.

Espresso for me when I'm in town.

At home, Gold Blend. Black,

INT21.

Tempest63

Abominable Snowman
I’m drinking sleepy tea and munching Lindt orangey chocolate in bed before I drift off to moo moo land.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
I know very little about nutrition as my natural appetite seems to lead me to eat what seems intuitively to be a fairly healthy diet, but lately I've heard a lot of people on 'soshul meedya' pushing the idea that soy (and by default tofu) is bad for you in a shopping list's worth of ways. It came up again in a podcast I was listening to this morning.

This seems incomprehensible to me, as in this neck o' the woods tofu has been produced and consumed in large quantities for centuries and today it's viewed as a health food (high protein, low fat) that has a number of supposed (never looked 'em up) health benefits (good for you heart and digestion, correlates with low cancer rates etc.).

There are even (very recent) claims that they might reduce testosterone levels and fertility, but it's a minefield trying to get an authoritative answer to any of this online. I don't eat a ton of the stuff, but it's not an uncommon ingredient in my diet and some of the fermented stews are really good.

Does anybody have anything reliable on this subject?

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I know very little about nutrition as my natural appetite seems to lead me to eat what seems intuitively to be a fairly healthy diet, but lately I've heard a lot of people on 'soshul meedya' pushing the idea that soy (and by default tofu) is bad for you in a shopping list's worth of ways. It came up again in a podcast I was listening to this morning.

This seems incomprehensible to me, as in this neck o' the woods tofu has been produced and consumed in large quantities for centuries and today it's viewed as a health food (high protein, low fat) that has a number of supposed (never looked 'em up) health benefits (good for you heart and digestion, correlates with low cancer rates etc.).

There are even (very recent) claims that they might reduce testosterone levels and fertility, but it's a minefield trying to get an authoritative answer to any of this online. I don't eat a ton of the stuff, but it's not an uncommon ingredient in my diet and some of the fermented stews are really good.

Does anybody have anything reliable on this subject?
It doesn't seem to have done Chinese people much harm.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Well, that's part of my logic.

Seriously though, Google 'is soy (or tofu) good for you?'

Consensus lacking!
I know, I've heard loads of un-PC types going on about 'soy-boys' who aren't manly because they eat and drink soy products.
But, although it is true that soy in large quantities does reduce testosterone, such an effect is negligible.
Hasn't stopped China from having a huge population.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
I know, I've heard loads of un-PC types going on about 'soy-boys' who aren't manly because they eat and drink soy products.
But, although it is true that soy in large quantities does reduce testosterone, such an effect is negligible.
Hasn't stopped China from having a huge population.
For the record, I think soy 'milk' is revolting, but each to his own.

James_H

And I like to roam the land
Drinking another one of these Japanese alcopops, this one's pineapple and vodka. Pretty good!

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
A big tray of roasted vegetables and paneer. Squash, onions, mushrooms, peppers, all gone now.

Techy's had tea too. A pack of stir fry vegetables with prawns and noodles all lobbed in my posh wok, the one the cat knocked off the cooker and dented so that it now fits next to other pans.

The local shitehawks were also fed. Some of the paneer looked a bit dodgy so I cut it off and threw it on the shed roof. It was mobbed.

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty
A lil apple crumble and a drink of free range milk, my god that milk tastes so bloody nice

Tempest63

Abominable Snowman
A disappointingly small Cornetto. Gave up my usual full sized Magnum not realising the Cornettos are munchkin size. I blame Sainsburys!

Ulalume

tart of darkness
Leftover biscuits and mashed potatoes as a late night snack.

That's American biscuits, BTW. I do wonder what Brits think when the hear of us eating biscuits and gravy or whatnot - you must all think we're mad.

hunck

Justified & Ancient
Leftover biscuits and mashed potatoes as a late night snack.

That's American biscuits, BTW. I do wonder what Brits think when the hear of us eating biscuits and gravy or whatnot - you must all think we're mad.
And what exactly are these biscuits of which you speak - d'you make them yourself or buy them ready-made?

Biscuits & mash doesn't sound a greatly appetising late night snack..

Ulalume

tart of darkness