What Are You Eating & Drinking?

INT21

Antediluvian
Bit of an odd one for me.

Last october I made a large quantity of apple wine and cider (Hard to tell the difference) with the intention of sharing it around.
No one wanted it. Ungrateful bunch of bastards.

I considered giving it to the winos in the town centre, but considered it immoral as those folk are really needing to get off the stuff.

So, what to do ? Thought of pouring it all down the drain, but the waste ?

So I opened up a bottle of Number 5 tonight (The number refers to the tree that the apples came from. Each tree's location is logged so I can replicate any particularly good (or least foul) brew.

It was ...interesting.

But when I added about 2% V/V of 'fruit of the forest' cordial, it turned out to be quite drinkable.

So, Cheers !

It should last me until this years brew has fermented out. i.e next July.

Must remember I don't drink.

INT21.:)

Tempest63

Ephemeral Spectre
Aww! I'm not a drinker, but that's the most adorable label.
Each bottle is individually numbered on the label. I bought some Rum in Barbados some years ago and every bottle was individually decorated by a couple young ladies who inscribed the local flora and fauna by hand on each bottle. You can take the bottles back and get them refilled, though it’s a bit of a trek from Essex

http://www.stnicholasabbey.com/Rum/Our-Method/

Last edited by a moderator:

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Although I live in a city with a population just over one million, it is surrounded by farmland and we get a lot of seasonal produce for sale in the markets, shops and by enterprising middle-men with flat-bed trucks who turn up on street corners. The price variations from out-of-season to harvest time are huge, and right about now everybody has watermelon, corn-on-the-cob and plums at home. The corn is bloody superb and I finish it as quickly as my wife buys it. We're also into chestnuts, baked by the roadside in many place, and they're also superb. I cannot eat a chestnut at night and not be reminded of being taken up to see the Christmas lights in Regent Street by my father when I was young. I really do get disproportionately emotional about it!

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
A chicken & mushroom risotto that my wife made that was excellent, followed by a Parisian custard tart that I made earlier today (she's mad for anything custard). Essentially it's just a giant custard tart, about the size of a baked cheesecake. Delicious.
custard.jpg

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
A chicken & mushroom risotto that my wife made that was excellent, followed by a Parisian custard tart that I made earlier today (she's mad for anything custard). Essentially it's just a giant custard tart, about the size of a baked cheesecake. Delicious.
View attachment 18914
A slice of that decorated with a dollop of tangy fruit would be nice. Fresh raspberries. My mouth is watering.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Chicken-livers - we get a lot of those around here. I was going to have pasta with them but a starter of fried paneer made me fear bloat.

There were some roasted slices of aubergine* and tomato to accompany. Very nice. :dinner:

*These were the parts of an aubergine which I salvaged. Two thirds of it had gone melt-down-bonkers and grown the most amazing afro-mould-beard I have ever seen on a vegetable. My fridge is destined for the yard!

Last edited:

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
*These were the parts of an aubergine which I salvaged. Two thirds of it had gone melt-down-bonkers and grown the most amazing afro-mould-beard I have ever seen on a vegetable. My fridge is destined for the yard!
I'm all for cutting off the bad bits to eat the rest. Recently found some cheese with mould round the edges which I sliced off and lobbed on the shed roof, and was soon rewarded with the sight of two large gulls fighting over them.

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty
Apple pie from Co-Op and a de caf coffee
I need to get some iron in me, so ive got bananas, weetabix, dried dates, oats, and i need stuff to retain the iron, so plenty of orange juice, but I doubt its ability to retain anything as it usually comes out tother end like a raging river that has burst its dam.

If anyone can give me any idea of other things high in iron i would be grateful

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Apple pie from Co-Op and a de caf coffee
I need to get some iron in me, so ive got bananas, weetabix, dried dates, oats, and i need stuff to retain the iron, so plenty of orange juice, but I doubt its ability to retain anything as it usually comes out tother end like a raging river that has burst its dam.

Iron supplements?

(Not a fan. When I was constantly whelping in the 1980s pregnant women were prescribed iron tablets and sternly ordered to take them. They made many of us horribly constipated. When we complained to our doctors we were treated like children making things up for attention. They didn't cause constipation, they had no effects on the digestion, now go and take them and make sure your husband sees you do it, you silly girl.)

Shady

I am already on the max dose of ferrous sulphate (I think thats the correct spelling) I am still anaemic, so i am finding foods to boost it naturally

Tempest63

Ephemeral Spectre
Trying to be good on the diet front but Mrs T63 tripped over the puppy Sunday before last. Broke her ankle in 3 places and now, after surgery to screw and plate two of the bones, she has her feet up for 6 to 8 weeks.
Now I’m doing the day job, her job, making her meals each morning before work, feeding her menagerie, walking said puppy, trying to keep on top of the allotment and generally going mad. The chamomile tea isn’t helping, neither are the Goslings Dark & Stormy, so I’ve taken to comfort eating, hence the mint Magnum.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Trying to be good on the diet front but Mrs T63 tripped over the puppy Sunday before last. Broke her ankle in 3 places and now, after surgery to screw and plate two of the bones, she has her feet up for 6 to 8 weeks.
Now I’m doing the day job, her job, making her meals each morning before work, feeding her menagerie, walking said puppy, trying to keep on top of the allotment and generally going mad. The chamomile tea isn’t helping, neither are the Goslings Dark & Stormy, so I’ve taken to comfort eating, hence the mint Magnum.
Hope the Mrs gets well soon!

Shady

Is the puppy ok? :O

And you deserve something nice for doing what you are doing

Tempest63

Ephemeral Spectre
Is the puppy ok? :O

And you deserve something nice for doing what you are doing
The pup had a bad dose of gastroenteritis the day after her accident so off to the vets, he was poorly for a week but generally uninjured from the fall.
As for something nice for me...she has put up with a lot from me over the years so whilst I’m run off my feet and absolutely knackered, it’s quite a nice feeling to be giving back to someone special.

Tempest63

Ephemeral Spectre
I am already on the max dose of ferrous sulphate (I think thats the correct spelling) I am still anaemic, so i am finding foods to boost it naturally
I go into day Therapies every 3 to 4 months for a big iron infusion which puts a spring back into my step. After 30 odd years on the iron tablets I think I became sensitised to them as they started to cause some intense pain and discomfort each morning after taking them, hence the infusions.

hunck

Justified & Ancient
Iron supplements?

(Not a fan. When I was constantly whelping in the 1980s pregnant women were prescribed iron tablets and sternly ordered to take them. They made many of us horribly constipated. When we complained to our doctors we were treated like children making things up for attention. They didn't cause constipation, they had no effects on the digestion, now go and take them and make sure your husband sees you do it, you silly girl.)
I've taken iron tablets in the past & can vouch for the constipatory effect. And when you do manage to go, you find your shit's turned black.

For Shady, healthy high in iron foods:

Shellfish
Spinach
Legumes - beans, lentils, chickpeas, peas, soybeans
Pumpkin Seeds
Quinoa
Broccoli
Tofu
Dark Chocolate - 70% & upwards
Also red meat, liver, turkey dark meat

From here

It surprised me that women need nearly twice the daily iron intake as men.

Tempest63

Ephemeral Spectre
I've taken iron tablets in the past & can vouch for the constipatory effect. And when you do manage to go, you find your shit's turned black.

For Shady, healthy high in iron foods:

Shellfish
Spinach
Legumes - beans, lentils, chickpeas, peas, soybeans
Pumpkin Seeds
Quinoa
Broccoli
Tofu
Dark Chocolate - 70% & upwards
Also red meat, liver, turkey dark meat

From here

It surprised me that women need nearly twice the daily iron intake as men.
Guinness