What Are You Eating & Drinking?

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty
I've taken iron tablets in the past & can vouch for the constipatory effect. And when you do manage to go, you find your shit's turned black.

For Shady, healthy high in iron foods:

Shellfish
Spinach
Legumes - beans, lentils, chickpeas, peas, soybeans
Pumpkin Seeds
Quinoa
Broccoli
Tofu
Dark Chocolate - 70% & upwards
Also red meat, liver, turkey dark meat

From here

It surprised me that women need nearly twice the daily iron intake as men.
I dont eat meat or chocolate, but the rest i might just try, thank you
I do not drink, but i suppose one wont go amiss, i forgot that is good stuff :p

Tempest63

Ephemeral Spectre
I dont eat meat or chocolate, but the rest i might just try, thank you
I do not drink, but i suppose one wont go amiss, i forgot that is good stuff :p
Spinach and lentil curry, make sure you squeeze some lemon over it before serving as you need vitamin C to help absorb the iron in the food.

Shady

Yea, at the mo i am drinking pure orange juice and eating oranges, i have weetabix and bananas, i drink decaf tea and coffee anyway but have to avoid it at meal times as apparently the tanin in the tea eats the iron in the food you eat at the time. I have some spinach leaves and wholemeal bread as well also tuna, my blood count is 8.8

hunck

Justified & Ancient
Yea, at the mo i am drinking pure orange juice and eating oranges, i have weetabix and bananas, i drink decaf tea and coffee anyway but have to avoid it at meal times as apparently the tanin in the tea eats the iron in the food you eat at the time. I have some spinach leaves and wholemeal bread as well also tuna, my blood count is 8.8
Have a look at this site

Daily Iron

It has top 10 lists of Fruits, Grains, Beans & Legumes, Nuts & Seeds, Veg, high in iron. Also meats.

It says that Oranges are not high in iron but they're high in vitamin C which helps in absorbing iron, so oranges on their own won't do much, you've got to combine it with high iron content food. Not sure how much iron is in Weetabix or bananas.. Bananas don't feature on the top 10 list of fruit, neither do oranges.

And contrary to popular opinion, it seems Guinness doesn't contain that much iron either. According to Wiki, three pints will give you about as much as one egg.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Guinness doesn't contain that much iron either
Stout was once recommended for nursing mothers - maybe even during pregnancy. Perhaps it was safer than the water.

Only a few years ago, I used to visit a bargain emporium where tins of Export Mackeson stout were to be had for next-to-nothing.

Delicious!

It was twice the strength of the domestic brew and had some interesting graphics, featuring strong-men and acrobats. The black
milk-churn was reassuringly centre stage, to remind us this is a lactic stout, sweet from a sugar which will not ferment. There were some slogans about health and vitality.
I think it was destined for China. Are they breeding champion babies on it? :domo:

hunck

Justified & Ancient
Stout was once recommended for nursing mothers - maybe even during pregnancy. Perhaps it was safer than the water.

Only a few years ago, I used to visit a bargain emporium where tins of Export Mackeson stout were to be had for next-to-nothing.

Delicious!

It was twice the strength of the domestic brew and had some interesting graphics, featuring strong-men and acrobats. The black
milk-churn was reassuringly centre stage, to remind us this is a lactic stout, sweet from a sugar which will not ferment. There were some slogans about health and vitality.
I think it was destined for China. Are they breeding champion babies on it? :domo:
Ah yes, Mackeson - it looks good, it tastes good, & by golly it does you good!

I used to like a Mackeson but haven't had one in decades. Might have to seek one out to see.. The export version sounds the one to get, if it's at all possible.

Shady

Thank you Hunck, I didnt know Chrysanthemums were a vegetable

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Porridge with pine nuts and cream.

Well, Techy has porridge. Mine has added pine nuts and single cream. I sneaked the cream into mine without telling Techy as it'd been in the fridge for a while and its sell-by date was 20th June and he'd've kicked off.

Heh, he's just spotted the cream tub in the cat dish, being comprehensively licked by our dear old Bagpuss. She and I will probably die tomorrow. At least we'll go together.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
I will be making something with ham and ricotta. Tesco were nearly giving away their honey-glazed ham yesterday and Sainsbury had ricotta at 10p a pop today.

Pasta seems to be called for, going by online recipes, though I have some potato wedges and a big bowl of home-made potato salad to use up. Maybe substitute the wedges for the pasta and make some sort of bubbling gratin . . . :thought:

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Tacos with beef, lettuce, tomato, cheese, avocado, coriander/cilantro, some nice salsa and a squeeze of lime juice. Delicious.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
I gather the exotic-sounding edamame-bean is a young, tender form of soya, eaten whole in the pod in the far east. Here, it turns up shelled in salads and stir-fries.

I was not in the mood for stir-frying last night - it was too late for wok-fumes to fill the house and the edamame stir-fry medley consisted mostly of three kinds of cabbage and broccoli coarsely chopped. I refreshed it under the tap, added a squeeze of lime-juice and postponed any decision till today.

Now it has gone in the oven with some garlic, two onions, star anise, sesame, chili flakes and seasoning, as it will make a fine soup. The aroma is beginning to drift upstairs but I will give it another hour. I suspect it will be mainly the broth that gets used but I am now looking forward to it! :dinner:

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
This (though not on my own). That's an eggplant/aubergine dip in the center, with some olives, gherkins, fresh fruit, dried fruits, nuts, some mature cheddar, a little spiced pear paste and Turkish bread buttered and grilled on the bbq. It was bloody delicious.
dinner.jpg

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Today and probably tomorrow, I will finish the oven-Bolognese I made the other night, when I was too lazy to bother with much hob-work.

At some point, it may metamorphose into chili con carne but not today, as I have no fresh chilis in. Maybe a lasagne tonight?

Meanwhile there is a nice piece of pork belly marinading for later in the week. This came in a single piece on the bone, so I gave it a good deep scoring at 1" intervals before immersion. Today, as ever, the marinade consisted of the dregs of several bottles and jars: Asda-Tennessee Barbecue Sauce, Szechuan-style chili & garlic, a dash of Bhut Jolokia, Worcester Sauce, Polish Seasoning Sauce, a generous dose of Chinese 5-Spice and a lot of sugar. The sugar ought to help preserve the thing, as my fridge is not right! I will give it 24-hours and have high expectations. :chef:

Tempest63

Ephemeral Spectre
I’ve a kilo of boneless goat in the freezer and No. 2 Son is pestering me to make a Caribbean curried goat but it is way too hot to start that malarkey. How the hell do they get the energy up in the West Indies?

Today and probably tomorrow, I will finish the oven-Bolognese I made the other night, when I was too lazy to bother with much hob-work.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Currently enjoying a g&t before my 10pm bedtime - up at 5 for an early-early tomorrow.
Last thing I ate was one of those tiny but extortionately-priced tubs of Ben & Jerry ice cream. Strawberry cheesecake flavour.
I've sternly warned Techy 'One a day! No more!'
I've never really been a fan of ice cream, it's always been a dessert/snack that I can take or leave. That is until I visited the original Ben & Jerry's factory in Vermont, U.S last year. Now I can appreciate it's addictive qualities. They have a cemetery there too for all of the flavours that are no longer with us.

Shady

Quorn sausage patties, quite nice actually, and a glass of cranberry juice