What Are You Eating & Drinking?

INT21

Antediluvian
Escargot,

Don't think so. It was some 'fish of dubious origin' in a Morrisons wrapper.

I'll get any future fish pies from Iceland.

On a rather sad note, just found out that my take-away of choice burned down last night. I was talking to the owner and he said '25 years, all gone'. I hope he can get back in business soon.

INT21

Antediluvian
Some do say that the food in hospitals is not too good, but if people are eating their own beds than surely questions need to be asked in the House.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
to everyone else they taste like a freshly-pissed hospital bed
A lot of fish produce ammonia as they grow stale. Rinsing and plenty of lemon-juice may offset this to some extent.

When tempted by fish "bargains," my finger may accidentally pierce the film to get a more accurate impression of the condition it is in.

Usually visual inspection is enough. :sherlock:

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
I will be having beef casserole with a baked potato. The Roquefort is meant to go with the baked potato. If I go on stealing morsels of it in anticipation, there will be nothing left to anticipate! :buck:

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I will be having beef casserole with a baked potato. The Roquefort is meant to go with the baked potato. If I go on stealing morsels of it in anticipation, there will be nothing left to anticipate! :buck:
Will you be waiting until midnight to eat it? :p

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Someone told me today that he used to catch and eat pike. Apparently they taste OK - not earthy - if you soak them in brine for 6 hours.
It wasn't an un-brined pike pie was it?
I recall an episode of River Cottage where jellied Pike was the only solution to make them edible, not that that sounds remotely appetizing.

James_H

And I like to roam the land
I just read an article claiming that the best solution for making river fish taste good was too keep them several days in a spring-fed tank, something similar to keeping snails in milk. Either that or catch them from a fast flowing river in the first place. Can't say it sounds very practical.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I just read an article claiming that the best solution for making river fish taste good was too keep them several days in a spring-fed tank, something similar to keeping snails in milk. Either that or catch them from a fast flowing river in the first place. Can't say it sounds very practical.
That makes sense.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
The beef casserole was very nice last night and the baked potato went well with it.

Tonight I will ring the changes. It seems destined to become a lazy, rendang-like curry with both toasted and block coconut. :)

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Pitta bread pizzas: homemade tomato sauce (passata, onions, olive oil, garlic, puree, herbs etc), strong cheddar cheese, peppers, mushrooms, lardons. Would have had rocket salad but the bag I bought today went straight in the food recycling, as it was a soggy mass. Bah! Pizzas were great and the South African chenin blanc to go with it. Tuesday is normally a non-drinking day but not today...

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty
ice water and shortbread, i love this stuff when it is very buttery

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
I've had some cheese and onion panini in my posh panini grill from Argos and now I'm considering trying stuffing some croissants with jam and lobbing those in next, will it work?

Shady

I am having 2 quorn sausages and 1 veggie burger, with a bit of bread and a Becks Blue, i may have two of them :D

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
More of the Rendang, this time with rice enhanced with celery and leek.

To go with it a 7-year-old Valdepeñas - a Vias Tintas Gran Reserva, from Spain via Iceland of all places!

They have given their stores a make-over. Even if the frozen stuff does not appeal, their fresh produce is worth a look.

There were also two booze bargains today: "Jeeves," a chav-version of Pimms, was obtainable for just £3.40 a litre.

The Valdepeñas - very typical of the type - smokey and oaky, was just £3.25! :hapdan:

Last edited:

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
even a pseudo Pimms
It's not subtle and rather weaker than Pimms at 17.5%. It turns up in a number of places, usually at around £7 the litre. Mixes OK with gin and fresh orange juice and bitters!

I love the strapline, "A Quintessentially British Alcoholic Drink." I kid you not! :pcheers:

Shady

Ice water at the mo

I've had cheesy mash with mixed veg, some kind of curry veggie sausages and gravy. And a cup of tea.
Where did you get the curry sausages from? did they taste nice?, i like curry the chip shop one mostly, cause it is mild and tasty, so if it is similar to that i might give it a try

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Ice water at the mo

Where did you get the curry sausages from? did they taste nice?, i like curry the chip shop one mostly, cause it is mild and tasty, so if it is similar to that i might give it a try
They were from Asda, some quirky name which I can't remember sorry. The packaging's already out for recycle so I can't look it up.
Tasted spicy rather than of curry. Very nice.

Shady

Hope they not the Linda McCartney ones, they are spicy, too much spicy for me, but when i eventually get out i will check, thanks :D

Just had Weetabix

Kryptonite

Stanley Unwin enthusiasty. Deep joy!
Lapsang Souchon tea and a packet of beef Space Raiders.

If anyone has had a more unlikely combination of foods recently, I'd love to hear it.

INT21

Antediluvian
Ice water at the mo

May I recommend the packs of curry sauce from Jack Fulton;s.