What Are You Eating & Drinking?

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Rainy night, so a late arrival at Asda meant I hit the jackpot! Cavolo Nero, salad, cherry tomatoes and a big bag of stewing veg. at 10p. a pop.

I did have to pay 50p for some coriander, as all the 10p bunched stuff turned out to be flat-leaf parsley:-(

And I forgot to buy a lemon!

Never mind. I have nearly a kilo of tomatoes in. Time to make a sauce, I think. :)

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Butternut & Carrot Soup - one of those Covent Garden carton ones. Wholesome enough but a bit sweet and bland. Needless to say, I won't pay the normal asking-price for these but at 10p!

Unusually, there was a second soup to hand: some of the stock from the big pot of casserole vegetables bought yesterday. This also contained butternut and carrot but together with onion, potato, cavolo nero and parsley. Seasoned with some light gluten-free soy sauce, I preferred it to the thick commercial product.

The planned garlic croutons became simply a couple slices of seeded garlic-bread, eaten with a portion of applewood-smoked cheddar. :hunger:

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Butternut & Carrot Soup - one of those Covent Garden carton ones. Wholesome enough but a bit sweet and bland. Needless to say, I won't pay the normal asking-price for these but at 10p!

Unusually, there was a second soup to hand: some of the stock from the big pot of casserole vegetables bought yesterday. This also contained butternut and carrot but together with onion, potato, cavolo nero and parsley. Seasoned with some light gluten-free soy sauce, I preferred it to the thick commercial product.

The planned garlic croutons became simply a couple slices of seeded garlic-bread, eaten with a portion of applewood-smoked cheddar. :hunger:
Soup is great, but the 'Covent Garden' one I had was watery.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
More scavenging at the bottom of the tank tonight at Tesco. When I say "tank," the day's incessant rain has made a river in the carpark, which it took a long detour to ford without wet feet.

I got some iceberg lettuce, a Chinese stir-fry and mushrooms, all for well under a quid. Again, I forgot to buy a bloody lemon!

The chicken has marinaded 48 hours now and I will cook the legs in small batches to keep the temperature as high as possible.

Clay oven, it ain't! but the advantages of a tandoor are quickly lost, once food has to be kept warm. I'm hoping for some succulence tonight! :domo:

Comfortably Numb

Justified & Ancient
Toasted cheese - bread slices from a bloomer loaf and local vintage cheddar. Deelishusss... :chef: First time - Marks & Spencers Italian No. 4 Strength coffee. With milk added, almost like chocolate. It's naturally quite sweet and probably didn't need the added four large spoons of sugar. :fugly:

James_H

And I like to roam the land
Tried something new today: fufu in goat soup in a Ghanaian restaurant. The fufu is a bit like mashed potatoes but much more springy and sticky and made from cassava. The goat soup was amazing, very rich in flavour and full of goat fat. You eat it with your hands then wash them in a bowl of water. It was very filling, I only managed half even though I was starving when I started.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Tried something new today: fufu in goat soup in a Ghanaian restaurant. The fufu is a bit like mashed potatoes but much more springy and sticky and made from cassava. The goat soup was amazing, very rich in flavour and full of goat fat. You eat it with your hands then wash them in a bowl of water. It was very filling, I only managed half even though I was starving when I started.
There's a solid place for comfort food, but eating like it's an adventure can be a lot of fun.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
The fufu is a bit like mashed potatoes but much more springy and sticky and made from cassava.
I used to teach in a school which was about 85% Afro-Caribbean. Textbook White vs Black racism was rare but there was a lot of needle between different groups, according to ancestral rivalries and, for the girls especially, skin-tone. As a lot of the insults were traded in their own languages, they could be hard for a visiting teacher to detect or challenge.

The one English-language name which was hard to miss was "fufu-eater!" directed at newly-arrived African pupils. For a long time, I did not make the dietary connection, assuming it was a crudely sexual insult. :doh:

Light dawned, when Asda etc. started to sell fufu and other African foods! The ingredients of fufu seem to vary quite a bit.

I had a spell of buying Gari, which is an interestingly-tangy fermented cassava preparation, traditionally used for dumplings. African food tends to be very solid, so my dumplings were yeasted and blended with lighter gluten-free flour.

The other cassava-based food I got to know was the Jamaican bammy, which also tends to be very hearty, especially when served deep-fried! The mother of a friend would load one's plate with these carbohydrate-laden wodges but it was a struggle to finish more than one! :oops:

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
I have had a pair of salmon steaks in marinade for 24 hours: light soy, lemon-juice, a dash of rose-water.

As a side-dish, some cavolo nero sautéed with apple. For carbohydrate, I am tempted by pasta but I seem to be down to spaghetti (standard gluten-free) or spaghetti (unloved soya version). Maybe I will try to love the latter, as I have three packs of the damned stuff . . . :thought:

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
dont forget the lemon
I bought four nice ones the other day. The acidity effectively cooks salmon in the marinade, so last night's supper was a bit overcooked and I am not a huge fan of the much-promoted cavolo nero. The soya spaghetti was thin and chewy, a bit like eating rubber-bands. All a bit of a let-down.

Tonight, I am thinking of something more comforting with the remaining salmon steak: mashed potato, perhaps and a sauce. I am out of coconut milk. Ho-hum, may see what serendipity brings later this afternoon . . . :)

James_H

And I like to roam the land
Really terrible fish and chips and nachos with no cheese: I complained and they explained they'd changed the recipe to have no cheese.