What Are You Eating & Drinking?

Skrymr

Abominable Snowman
Home made pizza. without a bread base.

Base: 250g of turkey mince, 1 egg, 40g of low fat grated cheddar, garlic powder, mixed herbs, salt and black pepper. Pre cook the base and let it stand for a little bit. Then I spread on 50g of tomato paste, loaded it with low fat mozzarella, low fat cheddar, mushrooms and spring onions, was rather good.

Got a big old glass of diet coke to go with it

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty
Yea, the quorn mince is gorgeous, add onion, and mixed veg salt and pepper, will be gorgeous, you can buy puff pastry from ASDA, easier than making it yourself. tho if your daughter is vegan she wont be eating the pastry if there is butter in it

INT21

Antediluvian
I notice that in the last congressional hearing (I think it was one of them)'*****' was asked how many lesbians, gays etc he employed. And how many 'people of colour'. How the hell would he know ? I suspect he has other things to worry about.

what is next ? Are you fulfilling the vegan quota, Mr ********

(***** = damn, I've forgotten his name)

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
I don't often do puddings but there was a jar of mincemeat looking to be used and two apples in the fruit-bowl that I didn't want to wither - such is my decorative approach to fresh fruit.

Pastry is too much of a faff but I was once a fan of crumbles; why not attempt a gluten-free one? I had both buckwheat flour and an all-purpose gluten-free blend. I kept the "butter" ingredient to a minimum, essentially because it wasn't butter. It did rub in well, however. The "fine breadcrumbs" texture looked a lot finer than wheat used to make! Some ground ginger seemed called for and I used my favourite molasses sugar.

I should say that I'm glad the label of the mincemeat jar had been damaged: had I seen that it contained cranberries, I might have flung it in the expectation they would bully the other ingredients. In fact, they were fairly small ones. There was plenty of suet, citrus and Port. It was sinfully sweet but I was in the mood for that!

There was no cream so I was spurred into making a custard without custard. Cornflour, vanilla now what? I found an ancient tin of Dutch cocoa - it may be 20 years old! but it smelled fine, so I had a chocolate sauce. Lovely, but I really should not get into the pudding habit! :hunger:

James_H

And I like to roam the land
Home made pizza. without a bread base.

Base: 250g of turkey mince, 1 egg, 40g of low fat grated cheddar, garlic powder, mixed herbs, salt and black pepper. Pre cook the base and let it stand for a little bit. Then I spread on 50g of tomato paste, loaded it with low fat mozzarella, low fat cheddar, mushrooms and spring onions, was rather good.

Got a big old glass of diet coke to go with it
Question: if it doesn't have a bread base, is it really pizza?

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty
Stamppot. I was hoping to have some hot pickled herring today but no herring to be found in the supermarket. So I used some endives from my garden and made a very filling andijvie stamppot. Cheap, hot and filling.
I understood none of that, please explain the andijvie and stamppot please

Gloucestrian

Devoted Cultist
Stamppot is a sort of "use it up" meal, really cheap and filling. Potatoes, vegetables and optionally meat or fish if you have any.

"Andijvie" is just the Dutch word for endives. I used a couple of different kinds yesterday - raddiccio and curly endive. I also threw in some bacon bits. I put the name in just in case anyone was curious what I was talking about as there are some recipes online - but in Dutch mostly!

I don't quite know why but my family have always made it. A couple of years ago I did learn that I have a Dutch ancestor so it might have come from her.

Really simple version:

Cut skinned potatoes into small pieces, I find one inch cubes work well, and place in a pan with 2 large pinches of sea salt. Good quality sea salt is helpful, I like Anglesey salt. If you don't have sea salt cooking salt will suffice but reduce the quantity to one pinch. Place in a pan as though boiling for mash but don't add water yet. Put hot water in a jug e.g. pyrex jug.

Put 3 generous slugs of olive oil into the pan and then just barely cover with the hot water. Put potatoes on hob and cook on a medium heat. Observe them closely - you don't want them to go into the water too much but if they are sticking you may need to add more of the water. Unlike English mash you want the potatoes to be cooked and basically only a small amount of liquid left, which you will keep. If there is too much liquid when they are cooked just discard some until you feel it won't be too wet when you mash them. If there's too little liquid you can do as the Scots do and add a small amount of milk.

While the potatoes are cooking roughly chop endives or other green veg like kale or cabbage. Sauté your selected vegetables with diced onion and a generous amount of dill, add any odds and ends e.g. bacon bits, leftover salmon or other fish. If you need to add fat to cook it you can add a small amount of duck fat or rapeseed oil if preferred (IIRC you're a vegetarian?). In the final minute optionally chuck in some grated Gouda cheese or other mild cheese. It adds a gooeyness which is quite pleasing. Other cheese might work well too.

Mash the potatoes roughly - you're not aiming for silky smooth mash - and as above don't drain off the cooking liquid unless it's too wet. Fold in the sauteed veg and dill mix and mix it together. Serve in ramekins or individual pie dishes. You can also put it in the oven and bake for 15 minutes on about 170 if you like it crunchier.

It's a versatile recipe not intended to be done exactly the same every time. The main aim is to produce a surprisingly filling meal from winter vegetables and odds and ends. I quite like adding lightly toasted kale and almonds to the stamppot but yesterday I fancied the freshness of endives. Raddiccio and endives grow really well in Britain and heart up beautifully in the early winter. Seeds are available widely.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Spinach pancakes with avocado, spinach and tomato in lemon juice filling, bit of fat-free cottage cheese too. Again, supposed to be a summer dish, but it'll be summer soon somewhere.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
A double peperoni pizza pimped with some cherry tomatoes that have started growing again in our back yard on the plants I thought were now dead.

James_H

And I like to roam the land
Damn, i bloody forgot it
I hated it at first, now i love it. I'd send you some but i know peeps are a bit reluctant, understandable
That's really kind of you! I'd accept, but my place is a bit of a delivery nightmare, it's not on a road and I'm never in to get packages anyway. I can probably buy it here anyway, just not sure where. I know a bunch of South Africans and I can't imagine them doing without.

INT21

Antediluvian
A double peperoni pizza pimped with some cherry tomatoes that have started growing again in our back yard on the plants I thought were now dead.
Same thing happened here. Now the little plants (yellow bush tomatoes) are about two inch high. In a pot of my window sill.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Same thing happened here. Now the little plants (yellow bush tomatoes) are about two inch high. In a pot of my window sill.
Cool .. me and the Mrs have been wilfully ignoring our dying plants, toms decaying on the branches and the ground because we've been too busy with work to tidy it all up but new ones have started to sprout! .. in November ..

Last edited:

INT21

Antediluvian
The trick is to keep them alive through the winter.

I also have a vine type yellow tomato trowing in the green house. I need to put it in a pot in the house as the green house will soon be below zero and it will die.