What Are You Eating & Drinking?

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
I have just gorged myself on baked Brie with onion rings and taragon. There is plenty of cheese in the fridge at this time of year - a shame not to take advantage, when they nearly give it away. Fittingly, perhaps, the wine is a Tarragona, frequently available at rock-bottom prices in Lidl. It has had six and a half years bottle-age but is nicely fruity. Later there will be salmon, likewise bought in the post-Christmas glut.

The shops have all switched their focus, predictably, to healthy-eating and exercise accessories. There is a lot to be said for being out-of-synch. with the consumer seasons! :dinner:

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty
Veggie burger on bun with tater tots* and, paprika that shot out of the jar at an alarming rate, thus overly red coloured tots, a glass of Don Simons pineapple and coconut drink and some cadburys Darkmilk choccie, and now a cuppa coffee

* I call em tater tots but they are just tiny roast potatoes from ASDA, not the real tater tots

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
I have just gorged myself on baked Brie with onion rings and taragon. There is plenty of cheese in the fridge at this time of year - a shame not to take advantage, when they nearly give it away. Fittingly, perhaps, the wine is a Tarragona, frequently available at rock-bottom prices in Lidl. It has had six and a half years bottle-age but is nicely fruity. Later there will be salmon, likewise bought in the post-Christmas glut.

The shops have all switched their focus, predictably, to healthy-eating and exercise accessories. There is a lot to be said for being out-of-synch. with the consumer seasons! :dinner:
Sounds lovely! I once bought up all the knocked-down Tesco large brie wheels at 50p a shot. Every bit was eaten.

On toast, mashed with potatoes, melted in wraps, you name it. However, at that point I hadn't begun baking the stuff in the oven, which I have now. I'll never be slim.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
You can tell it's just after Christmas as I'm sipping this--a gift.

SmartSelect_20200110-015519_Gallery.jpg

Surprisingly good is the conclusion: vanilla and ginger layered over the hard-sweet stuff.

Edit: just clocked the ingredients--that colour and slight viscosity comes from the fact that it also contains honey.

Last edited:

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
More cheese on toast. The end of a wheel of Brie on one slice and the start of a block of Taleggio on the other. All very gloopy and delicious with spirals of Balsamic Vinegar and Pomegranate Nectar to cut through the fat. Despite resolutions to the contrary, I bought more cheese at the weekend: how could I resist two ceramic potted Stiltons at 20p. a go? There is still a big, untouched selection box and another slice of Brie in the fridge.

Later, I will finish a Chicken Madras, marking the end of a big chicken. I will need to get busy with the boned lamb shoulder. It is Halal, though there is no guarantee that unbadged lamb is not. I was tempted by the mutton cuts but parts were looking past their best. I would normally turn lamb directly into a curry but may go for a tomato-based casserole this time, for fear of curry-themed monotony. :dinner:

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
You can tell it's just after Christmas as I'm sipping this--a gift.

View attachment 22479

Surprisingly good is the conclusion: vanilla and ginger layered over the hard-sweet stuff.

Edit: just clocked the ingredients--that colour and slight viscosity comes from the fact that it also contains honey.
Wilkins are doing some fine stuff these days. They have a range of fruit-flavoured gin which is gorgeous.

Shady

That sounds nice Zebs
I had a cheese and tomato toastie from Aldi's, they are suprisingly nice, and a glass of water and a dark chocolate morello cherry in liquour, got a whole box of them but just have one a day as a lil treat they were from Aldi's as well. I am well impressed with somethings you can get from there that are quite delicious an cheap

Schrodinger's Zebra

My joints go out more than I do
Walking alone through the afternoon traffic...
That sounds nice Zebs
I had a cheese and tomato toastie from Aldi's, they are suprisingly nice, and a glass of water and a dark chocolate morello cherry in liquour, got a whole box of them but just have one a day as a lil treat they were from Aldi's as well. I am well impressed with somethings you can get from there that are quite delicious an cheap
Ooh cheese and tomato toasties are nice :)

That reminds me, last time we were in a Tesco we looked for that Cherry Cream Soda drink that you mentioned before, but couldn't find it. Maybe cos it's a smallish Tesco, they don't have a lot of stuff.

Shady

It is usually where all the American stuff is, they have a shelf specially for it, and as far as i know it is in the big supermarket it is by Virgils, maybe they will recognise it, if you get it i hope you love it, you can buy a bottle, no need to get all four in the box, just take one out, i greedy, i buy sometimes 6 bottles. I cant remember, are you veggies as well?

Schrodinger's Zebra

It is usually where all the American stuff is, they have a shelf specially for it, and as far as i know it is in the big supermarket it is by Virgils, maybe they will recognise it, if you get it i hope you love it, you can buy a bottle, no need to get all four in the box, just take one out, i greedy, i buy sometimes 6 bottles. I cant remember, are you veggies as well?
Ah, our rubbish Tesco doesn't even have a dedicated American section so that probably explains it. We'll have to see if there's a bigger Tesco anywhere near us.

And yep, we are vegetarian :D

Schrodinger's Zebra

I’m in Broomfield Hospital with a suspected blockage in my small intestine so Nil by Mouth until I see the surgeon later today.
I hate hospitals!
Oh dear... I do hope you feel better soon and you get sorted out. At least you are in the best place. :group:

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
I’m in Broomfield Hospital with a suspected blockage in my small intestine so Nil by Mouth until I see the surgeon later today.
I hate hospitals!
Bugger. Did they take you in last night or this morning?

Last edited:

Shady

I hate hospitals!
Hope everything goes ok and you are cleared dear