What Are You Eating & Drinking?

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
I will do something very lazy with the remains of a lamb casserole. The meat is mainly gone but the lamby savour remains with a lot of tasty vegetables. Toss in some pasta or risotto-rice and you get one of those dishes which is much nicer than the effort deserves!

Just when I thought peak bargain-Brie season was over, I had to go and buy a half-wheel of ripe, Cornish Brie, at its most deliciously gloopy, pre-vegetal stage. I'm inclined to draw a line under further protein/fat-laden products this week. :truce:

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
I've had a big pot of yogurt with figs, seeds, grains and cereals with 2 bananas chopped up in it.

The middle one on the photo here -
Yogurt

Made in Devon. Can't actually describe how delicious it was. Words fail me.

anros

Fresh Blood
Tea and tamarind candy.
(Tamarindus indica is a tree whose fruit is extremely sour, but there is a preparation similar to marmalade with sugar and it's really good.)

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
A very late Continental Breakfast. Proper coffee and a gluten-free croissant, which was a remarkably-good approximation to the real thing.

GF croissants are usually horrible. Mainly, I think, because the makers are fixated with keeping them dairy-free as well. Morrisons use butter; the flavour and texture are good, though a little tougher than the best wheat products. :clap:

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Morrisons 'ancient grain' bread rolls, cheese, pickled onions, a mug of nice hot strong tea.

A friend has a birthday this week so I picked him up a very rich chocolatey cake, £3-odd down from £11. He loves a bargain so will appreciate that!
Then I noticed another...

hunck

Justified & Ancient
Tried kimchi for the first time, from a Korean shop. Slightly crunchy veg, sour, with some chilli heat. Nice, if expensive, way of eating some veg. Supposedly good for yer gut. Went well with Gails currant & sour cherry sourdough bread & vintage cheddar.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Tried kimchi for the first time, from a Korean shop. Slightly crunchy veg, sour, with some chilli heat. Nice, if expensive, way of eating some veg. Supposedly good for yer gut. Went well with Gails currant & sour cherry sourdough bread & vintage cheddar.
Expensive?

I have (literally) half a refrigerator full!

Drop around sometime, mate.

hunck

Justified & Ancient
Expensive?

I have (literally) half a refrigerator full!

Drop around sometime, mate.
I mean considering it's mainly cabbage & there's probably no more than 10p's worth of cabbage in the jar.. You don't need much of it though - a little goes a long way. Do you make your own or is it just cheap there?

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
I mean considering it's mainly cabbage & there's probably no more than 10p's worth of cabbage in the jar.. You don't need much of it though - a little goes a long way. Do you make your own or is it just cheap there?
My mother-in-law makes a yearly supply in September-ish.

An enormous quantity for herself and to distribute to her three children's families.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Brown shrimps, wickedly expensive at £4.20 for a few ounces, as we used to say. Luckily they were a quarter their original price and still in good condition. Delicious. I'm glad I bought two packs.

Also, coincidentally, having some kimchi on the side. I quite like it but it's not a regular purchase. :dinner:

Tempest63

Abominable Snowman
Large VAT.
Shouldn’t do as I’m still on steroids following my little stay in hospital, but it has been a long hard day!