What Are You Eating & Drinking?

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
What are the ingredients apart from rice and seaweed sheets?
The rice is sticky-white but with a few grains of varying types added and the pressed seaweed has oil added.

From foreground to background: strips of fishcake, crab, radish, ham, egg, cucumber.

I don't eat ham, but the ingredients here are not an atypical selection.

When I get it delivered to work for lunch, I often have tuna, and that comes with spinach and carrot, too.

It's really quite filling.

GingerTabby

Carbon-based life form
Aren't they kosher by default?
My limited understanding is that the presence of garlic makes the difference. Dill pickles which do not contain garlic are not considered kosher dills, or so I'm told. I gather the inclusion of garlic has more to do with custom than with dietary laws. I stand to be corrected, however.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Aren't they kosher by default?
Vegetables are Parve in their natural state - not subject to Kashrut.

Once you start to process things, Kashrut laws click in. The Rebbes will want to know every aspect of your factory, down to the oils used for lubricating the machines. If satisfied, they will be Kosher pickles. :nods:

hunck

Justified & Ancient
Some foods/drinks merely have to be blessed by a rabbi to become kosher. Presumably they actually have to visit the premises to do this, & can't just do it over the phone.

Comfortably Numb

Justified & Ancient
ORGANIC - IS IT REALLY BENEFICIAL?

When organic food first became more obtainable, especially from supermarkets, went through a period of only buying organic whenever possible, especially fruit and vegetables.

Although that elapsed, have a notion to do so again and wondered about the actual benefits.

Certainly recall a notable taste improvement with organic tomatoes, bell peppers, mushrooms and especially milk.

Or, was it my imagination?

I thus intend to conduct a 'blind tasting' exercise, with family and friends.

Always meant to ask the question of your good selves.. any thoughts or advice on this?

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
At work since 6 with access to a cosy messroom. So it's breakfast time, and a sumptuous repast of one tub of Tesco gluten-free instant porridge* with three bananas sliced up in it. Truly, I know how to live.
Also a posh latte sipped from my battered pink flask.

The flask used to pink but the paint is being steadily chipped off by being jammed onto my bike bottle carrier every day. I leave a trail of pink paint flakes everywhere I go.

*Bought a job lot cheap.

hunck

Justified & Ancient
At work since 6 with access to a cosy messroom. So it's breakfast time, and a sumptuous repast of one tub of Tesco gluten-free instant porridge* with three bananas sliced up in it. Truly, I know how to live.
3 whole bananas in one bowl of porridge - blimey. If that doesn't keep you regular nothing will.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Some Thai food, overpowered by the Saffron rice that tasted of nothing but garlic and onion. A couple hours on and I can still taste it.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Some Thai food, overpowered by the Saffron rice that tasted of nothing but garlic and onion. A couple hours on and I can still taste it.
You'll stink too. A few years ago I ate so much roasted garlic I ronked for days, and my colleagues could still smell me at the depot when I was over 250 miles away!
When I got back to sign out I thought 'Whew, SOMEONE'S been on the garlic!'

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
You'll stink too. A few years ago I ate so much roasted garlic I ronked for days, and my colleagues could still smell me at the depot when I was over 250 miles away!
When I got back to sign out I thought 'Whew, SOMEONE'S been on the garlic!'
It's a good thing I'm working on my own tomorrow.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Had a veggie fry-up for brunch. Felt rough earlier so went to bed for a bit and woke up thirsty. Made a big orange juice/mango/apple/grape smoothie and swigged the lot, then started some leek and potato soup for later.

The blender and soup maker are such great gadgets. When I blow one up I immediately replace it.

INT21

Antediluvian
Had a veggie fry-up for brunch. Felt rough earlier so went to bed for a bit and woke up thirsty. Made a big orange juice/mango/apple/grape smoothie and swigged the lot, then started some leek and potato soup for later.

The blender and soup maker are such great gadgets. When I blow one up I immediately replace it.
My favourite soup. With a lot of black pepper.