What Are You Eating & Drinking?

Tempest63

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
No, my wife and me are staying at my mum and dads during lockdown. My mum makes it and, not being biased but it’s the best I’ve ever had. I thought Manzes had shut down permanently.
The one in Tower Bridge road is purportedly the oldest London pie and mash shop operating from its original premises, it’s been there since 1902.

Tempest63

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
No, my wife and me are staying at my mum and dads during lockdown. My mum makes it and, not being biased but it’s the best I’ve ever had. I thought Manzes had shut down permanently.
Get your mum to scribble down her recipe and PM it to me please. London is a long way to go for pie, mash and liquor when you’ve got the munchies.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
London is a long way to go for pie, mash and liquor when you’ve got the munchies.
Friend of mine found a carrier bag containing a full takeaway pie/mash/liquor meal on a Euston-Scotland train. 'It would have been a shame to waste it!'
Coming back, there was a big parcel of Scottish breakfast ingredients, including square sausages and heavy-as-lead sliced bread, lying forgotten on the parcel shelf. It met a similar fate to the pie/mash/liquor over the next week.

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Tuesday is fish day according to Dads routine.

Normaly he eats smelly fresh salmon, -something I wont go near. (I do like smoked or tinned salmon)

So for today I picked yellow Haddock.

Cooked <drum roll> in milk.

(I will say it was a carton of fully skimmed a friend who was moving inflicted on me...got to use it for something...)

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
Cooked <drum roll> in milk.
Have you tried poaching in coconut milk - either from a can or derived from a block? It can take a lot of acidulation without souring, so the lime or lemon will tend to neutralise any fishy pongs.

There is a Japanese marinade, using Mirin - or rice wine, lemon and soy sauce - or fish-sauce, which works a treat with salmon. True, the fish-sauce will give it more pong, so a bit of rose-water can be dabbed on, if it offends.

Maybe milk is easier, especially if Dad is set in his ways . . . :thought:

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Experimenting with cooking during lockdown. Made and cooked falafels last night for the first time and they were alright, not great but I'd do them again. I followed a recipe to the letter but next time I'll use more spices and herbs and maybe not blitz the chickpeas quite so fine; apparently dried chickpeas are better than the tinned ones for falafel. We shallow fried and baked them rather than use a deep fat fryer that Bristol's falafel shops use, and it was veggie rather than vegan, as the recipe uses an egg but I guess oil would work. They'll make a handy cycling snack too, instead of the Fry's vegan sausage rolls that are my normal snack.

Not that I'm veggie, as it's (Herta) frankfurters in soft white rolls tonight with cole slaw, fried onions, mixed leaf salad, Mediterranean salad etc. In a couple of days' time I'll be trying chicken kievs from scratch; veg tempura and a few Moroccan, Lebanese and Indonesian dishes are also coming up.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Jam* on toast. That's apricot jam with butter on white bread.

The bread is taken carefully slice by slice from a loaf kept in the freezer. The process reminds me of an archaic method of 'harvesting' meat by removing one of an animal's limbs at a time while it's alive, brrrr.

*Originally mistyped that as 'jsm' which might have gone on to become amusing.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Jam* on toast. That's apricot jam with butter on white bread.

The bread is taken carefully slice by slice from a loaf kept in the freezer. The process reminds me of an archaic method of 'harvesting' meat by removing one of an animal's limbs at a time while it's alive, brrrr.

*Originally mistyped that as 'jsm' which might have gone on to become amusing.
Come again?

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
This was more of a Cut & Come Again cow or camel.
Dave went to visit his cousin the farmer. As he drove into the farmyard, he was amazed to see a pig with a wooden leg. He asked the cousin about it.

“That pig?”, said the cousin, “Amazing! When l was a bairn, and it was a piglet, the farm caught fire one night. Damn me if that piglet didn’t barge through the door, run up the stairs, wake us all up with its squeals, then lead us to safety through the smoke! Then, years later, l fell through the ice on the pond and would have drowned, but that pig leapt in after me, towed me to shore by gripping my coat in its teeth, then pumped the water out of my lungs by jumping up and down on my chest! l tell you, when you get a pig that good, you don’t eat it all at once.”

maximus otter

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Don't you find though that the battered food with its high fat content fills you up too fast?
Yes and believe I know exactly what you mean there. :)

I'm always intrigued how filling eggs are.

Three of them uncooked seem a small portion, yet would struggle to eat more than three, either boiled, fried or scrambled!

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Yes and believe I know exactly what you mean there. :)

I'm always intrigued how filling eggs are.

Three of them uncooked seem a small portion, yet would struggle to eat more than three, either boiled, fried or scrambled!
I love eggs, me. All egg recipes are acceptable. Dunno why I don't just get some chickens.

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I love eggs, me.
Pure Glasgow! :p

The most delicious meal, if perfected, is scrambled eggs with grated, cheddar cheese.

Better known here as, 'cheese and egg', my late mother was one such perfectionist.

Countless attempts later, I simply can not replicate it.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Pure Glasgow! :p

The most delicious meal, if perfected, is scrambled eggs with grated, cheddar cheese.

Better known here as, 'cheese and egg', my late mother was one such perfectionist.

Countless attempts later, I simply can not replicate it.
Had a boyfriend who'd cook me some kind of cheese dish, it was sooo delicious, I've tried many times over the years to recreate that magic to no avail...

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I've tried many times over the years to recreate that magic to no avail...
Another abject failure... poached eggs.

Cannae dae it...

Can watch YouTube tutorials galore and it will still resemble some tentacle-trailing creature, emerging from the depths.

hunck

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

Cannae dae it...

Can watch YouTube tutorials galore and it will still resemble some tentacle-trailing creature, emerging from the depths.
I've got an egg poacher but I can't say I'm fond of the results. Gimme a fried egg or scrambled any day. I've tried the 'swirl in water' method with little success in arriving at a pleasing result.

Shady

DEATHS Kitty
Reaction score
I have a cuppa tomato soup and a cob, no matter what i eat i only get a flash of a taste of it

James_H

And I like to roam the land
Reaction score
Got a bonus cockroach in my lunch delivery today :/

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score

Cannae dae it...

I was raised on poached eggs on toast. The secret is to take your time and treat the eggs gently.

Here's my easy method -

You need a nonstick frying pan, medium sized is best, and a flat slotted spatula.

Boil up some water, say an inch or an inch and a half deep, in it while you break eggs into a cereal bowl.

When the water is boiling, pour the eggs in, holding the bowl as close to the water as possible. Don't rush this step and lob the eggs or it won't work.

In about half a minute the water will boil up again. At this point the eggs have begun to solidify a bit.
You now take your flat slotted spatula and carefully slide it under each egg so it doesn't cling to the pan and can float in the hot water and be cooked from underneath.

Turn the heat down to a low simmer. The eggs will be spread out in the pan like fried ones with the yolks nicely visible. If you think they're sticking to the pan deploy the spatula again, but softly.

You now have a couple of minutes to butter your toast.

When your eggs look ready, (white is just solid, yolk sticking up) lift each out reverently with your flat slotted spatula.

Coincidentally, Techy, who hasn't seen me typing this, now wants poached eggs on toast for breakfast.

Last edited: