What Are You Eating & Drinking?

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
I am enjoying an apéritif, since Morrisons have been selling off the excellent "La Ina" Fino for £3 a bottle.

Bone dry but with a lingering, aromatic finish. I am tempted to have another but this style of wine is very drying.

Can it really contain so much salt or is something else at work? :sherlock:

michael59

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
I had to shop yesterday and I went without a list. I don't usually shop without a list. I ended buying a bunch of stuff from the take away counter, rotisserie chicken, meat loaf, potato salad. Plus I had 2 inch thick pork chops defrosted and ready to be baked at home in the fridge. Now I can't decide what to demolish first. lol

I did have the wing and the drumsticks of the rotisserie chicken with potato salad for dinner last night.

Monstrosa

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I am enjoying an apéritif, since Morrisons have been selling off the excellent "La Ina" Fino for £3 a bottle.

Bone dry but with a lingering, aromatic finish. I am tempted to have another but this style of wine is very drying.

Can it really contain so much salt or is something else at work? :sherlock:
Tannins, not salt.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Tatty wedges, fried eggs and tinned peas. With ketchup, sea salt* and GENUINE VINEGAR from a proper Sarsons shaker** bottle.

*Yup, I know sea salt isn't any more healthy than ordinary white salt but it came in a posh bottle from the £ shop and I get to grind it over my chips.
**Shaker bottles - Where I come from, salt, pepper and vinegar come in 'shakers' and 'shaker bottles'. When I first heard of Shakers and Shaker furniture I wondered how a whole religion could be inspired by condiment containers.

michael59

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
I finally decided on pork chops and potato salad and put the chicken and the meat in the freezer. :)

Kryptonite

Stanley Unwin enthusiasty. Deep joy!
Reaction score
Cheddars - cheesy biscuits. Although...they don't smell or taste of cheddar cheese.
I hate cheese, by the way.
Johnny Vegas once described cheese as 'something that's come out of a cow's tit and curdled '. That kind of put me off cheese for a long time.

michael59

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Johnny Vegas once described cheese as 'something that's come out of a cow's tit and curdled '. That kind of put me off cheese for a long time.
In the movie, Fried Green Tomatoes, Cicely Tyson's character says something to the effect of how white folk are so strange because they eat eggs. Eggs come right out of the chickens bum, disgusting.

Put me off eggs for awhile. lol

Iris

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I've been using escargot's potato skins recipe and they are surprisingly tasty.

Kryptonite

Reaction score
In the movie, Fried Green Tomatoes, Cicely Tyson's character says something to the effect of how white folk are so strange because they eat eggs. Eggs come right out of the chickens bum, disgusting.

Put me off eggs for awhile. lol
I was reading the novel Fletch Won today, where Fletch keeps encountering a sarcastic waiter at a cafe. Fletch orders five scrambled eggs and ice cream for his girlfriend, the waiter brings the plates and announces 'five aborted chickens and a bowl of frozen udder drippings.

Kryptonite

Reaction score
Although I don't drink, I do enjoy a glass of tonic water- been drinking Fever Tree clementine flavoured tonic today, and it's fantastic!

It's not the cheapest, but it's one of those things (like Source shower gel) that is on a special offer about once a month- I'll be stocking up next time it's reduced!

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Like others here I've taken to making soups. Never realised how easy it is. Some successes - cauliflower, butternut squash, both delicious, not so delicious - carrot & coriander, still edible though. I think the carrots were a bit old & past their best.

Roasting the veg first seems to add flavour.
I love roasted vegetables, especially with pesto, and will make a big tray of them and gorge myself. Next day whatever is left is turned into soup.

hunck

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I love roasted vegetables, especially with pesto, and will make a big tray of them and gorge myself. Next day whatever is left is turned into soup.
What's your typical/favourite veg selection for this?

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
What's your typical/favourite veg selection for this?
Whatever is handy but I like any selection from potatoes, onions, parsnips, sweet potatoes, squash, tomatoes, mushrooms, aubergines, not carrots unless I'm short of ingredients.

Edit - forgot peppers.

Also paneer but that doesn't go in the soup. Dunno why, maybe I should try it.

Last edited:

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Whatever is handy but I like any selection from potatoes, onions, parsnips, sweet potatoes, squash, tomatoes, mushrooms, aubergines, not carrots unless I'm short of ingredients.

Also paneer but that doesn't go in the soup. Dunno why, maybe I should try it.
Paneer? That's an unusual vegetable.

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
You need decent cheese.

Try Yarg, -from Cornwall.

Then meditate on all the Cornish cheeses that dont make it across the Tamar...

Last Christmas our local deli ordered a whole van load.

it lasted three days.

INT21

Antediluvian
Reaction score
You probably all know, but just in case...

If using peppers to make soups, don't forget to skin them first or you will end up with lots of bits of skin.

Most unpleasant.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
You probably all know, but just in case...

If using peppers to make soups, don't forget to skin them first or you will end up with lots of bits of skin.

Most unpleasant.
Get a soupmaker - everything veggie goes in: broccoli stalks, peppers, salad leaves, mushrooms, beans, leaks, kale, celery (I flippin' hate celery, the devil's veg) etc, etc; get the right mix of spices and you've got a great soup. Delish. As the legendary Half Man, Half Biscuit wrote (pre-lockdown):
They’ve been cooking on Blue Peter
Now they’re sampling the dishes
“I don’t normally like tomatoes, John
But this is delicious”

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Mythopoeika; you have never had decent cheese.

Theres lots that is good.

INT21

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Cycleboy2,

I have a pretty good multi-processor.

For a few months I was well into making soups. But found that soup in general is not particularly popular in our house, even the factory produced ones.

So I don't bother much these days; just make them for myself.

I do like Leak and potato soup though, and cabbage and chorizo is much nicer than it sounds.

I prefer to leave the soups in an un-blended state. It was blending that showed up the phenomena of little bits of pepper skin that I had to filter out.