What Are You Eating & Drinking?

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
They're already in the house .. what's the Ant Stop product?
It's in 2 types:
(1) Ant traps - the ants walk into little containers and pick up poison, take it back to the nest.
(2) Container of granules that you sprinkle around the nest.
I used both.
Take care to avoid getting the granules near where food is prepared. Also, use a filter on the vacuum cleaner when you clean up the granules.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
It's in 2 types:
(1) Ant traps - the ants walk into little containers and pick up poison, take it back to the nest.
(2) Container of granules that you sprinkle around the nest.
I used both.
Take care to avoid getting the granules near where food is prepared. Also, use a filter on the vacuum cleaner when you clean up the granules.
Thanks Mytho ..

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
if you've just any techniques to suggest I'd be grateful
I was rubbish at the job! I bought all the usual things but it took me years to eradicate them, which is why I hope yours are not established!

When they are in the house, you don't want to be pouring pans of boiling water down an uncertain hole in the skirting . . .

I trusted, at first, to lots of the powder-puff. It does work on the threshold but once they are in . . . !

All the manufacturers claim that ant-pioneers take their poisonous product back to the nest to murder their children. Fine, by me - if it works. They never tell you how long the process may take!

I had these creatures in my wall for six years. They did weaken, after years of powder on the threshold and poison for their babes. Year by year, the emerging creatures were more sickly. Came the time when there were none.

I wish you well with this. It is still worth that dust of the powder on the threshold! It could isolate the nest and prevent it breeding healthier generations. :)

Last edited:

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
I was rubbish at the job! I bought all the usual things but it took me years to eradicate them, which is why I hope yours are not established!

When they are in the house, you don't want to be pouring pans of boiling water down an uncertain hole in the skirting . . .

I trusted, at first, to lots of the powder-puff. It does work on the threshold but once they are in . . . !

All the manufacturers claim that ant-pioneers take their poisonous product back to the nest to murder their children. Fine, by me - if it works. They never tell you how long the process may take!

I had these creatures in my wall for six years. They did weaken, after years of powder on the threshold and poison for their babes. Year by year, the emerging creatures were more sickly. Came the time when there were none.

I wish you well with this. It is still worth that dust of the powder on the threshold! It could isolate the nest and prevent it breeding healthier generations. :)
Haven't seen any more yet this morning but .. I've halted a colony of ants twice before, first time my boss built a wall of anti ant dust at least an inch high around their entry point .. we'd sweep up the dead ants that had climbed over it and had achieved reaching about 1ft further before dying .. and thanks for your advice.

Min Bannister

Possessed dog
Reaction score
I tried sprinkling cayenne pepper down where some ants were coming in once. Stopped them right away and I never saw them again.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
Crudités with coleslaw and chilli hummus, plus cherry tomatoes. Followed by an ice cream lolly.

maximus otter

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Beef ribs with a sweet & sticky sauce first browned in a frying pan and then finished in a pressure cooker. Also potato salad and sweetcorn. Washed down with a bottle of local Pinot Noir.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
It was our 9th wedding anniversary yesterday so of course we went to one of our favourite local restaurants. Oooops. All closed of course.

So dinner was toast with pate and salad garnish starter, followed by fillet steak from our local butcher, sweet potato fries, mushrooms and garlic butter. And I got the cooking bang on. They were 6oz/3cm thick steaks and I did mine for four minutes, my wife's for five minutes, flipping every 30 seconds and then resting for five-six minutes. Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall recommends flipping every 15 seconds but cuisinefiend says you can get away with every 30 seconds – and the flipping and resting really helps. This was accompanied by a bottle of champagne – Gobillard's Brut Grande Réserve Premier Cru.

Chocolate cake for dessert. T'was all lovely.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Next time imma taking a stepladder. Lots more to be had ;)
When I was a child fruit was still seasonal and expensive so my family would go on long walks in the countryside, aka 'fruiting' expeditions.

We'd stroll along a lane next to an orchard until we spotted a loaded tree and then strike. I can remember my mother more or less throwing me up a plum tree to reach the higher branches.

That was more or less the only time of year I ate fruit and I've never stopped finding it delicious and luxurious.

Ladyloafer

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I go brambling most years. Theres never a shortage of brambles. I tried wild plums as well but they are a bit meh. But anything in a crumble with sugar is good.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
My kids love fruit too. As Eldest Son was especially keen I was careful to put away the big bags of fresh damsons that a friend brought round from her trees.

Big Son was about 9. He found the fruit and secretly gorged on it, giving himself severe colic.

I thought he had appendicitis and was really worried, until he suddenly rushed upstairs to the bathroom, tearing at his jeans, and pebble-dashed the place.

'Aha!' thought I, 'He's found the damsons!'

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Looks too crunchy for me.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Dumplings. Prawn, scallop and prawn and spinach ones. All made to order and deliciously plump.
Followed by eggplant, deep fried with Szechuan pepper, chicken breast thinly sliced in a chicken broth and some beef, deep fried with a sticky sauce tasting of five spice with a hint of chilli.
A couple of beers washed it all down.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Looks too crunchy for me.
The actual danger is the barbecue option, which we usually have but thought unwise as the shells explode from time to time and we had young children at the table.

Instead we opted for the extra-large steamed option: mostly oysters, cockles, clams and those giant funnel-shell things, the shell of which is being used to serve. We did actually order several other dishes (seafood and spring onion pancakes, fried fish and garlic noodles for the kids) and were treated with a gorgeous plate of sweet and sour battered fish on the house (I don't know the English translation for the type).

Any Korea port of even middling size has literally dozens of seafood restaurants with views of the beach where you barbecue the day's catch yourself.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Dumplings. Prawn, scallop and prawn and spinach ones. All made to order and deliciously plump.
Followed by eggplant, deep fried with Szechuan pepper, chicken breast thinly sliced in a chicken broth and some beef, deep fried with a sticky sauce tasting of five spice with a hint of chilli.
I am now salivating!

Coypu

Um 121 The element of confusion.....298.17
Reaction score
So much for the starter , what did you have for the main course..?:dinner:

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
So what're YOU 'avin'? :)