What Are You Eating & Drinking?

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I wonder what made them Irish rather than English?
A full Irish breakfast is healthier than the fearsome Ulster Fry. o_O
As far as i know, and i spent a lot of time looking, 'Nellies' was, at the time i was there, one of the only places to get a decent fry-up for a reasonable price, 'The Bulldog' did one, but it wasnt particularly nice and very expensive.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
A relative used to visit Northern Ireland on a regular basis, as part of his duties for HMRC. He is a hearty eater but often had to wave a white flag midway through the Ulster Fry. I think that's the one with both black and white* puddings, sausages, fried soda bread and potato-cakes etc. etc.

It was served every morning, till he harboured a suspicion that they were killing him with kindness. :btime:

*Checking, I see that the white pudding is not traditional in the Fry. I imagined it was, as I used to buy a tasty Irish version of it.

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
A relative used to visit Northern Ireland on a regular basis, as part of his duties for HMRC. He is a hearty eater but often had to wave a white flag midway through the Ulster Fry. I think that's the one with both black and white* puddings, sausages, fried soda bread and potato-cakes etc. etc.

It was served every morning, till he harboured a suspicion that they were killing him with kindness. :btime:

*Checking, I see that the white pudding is not traditional in the Fry. I imagined it was, as I used to buy a tasty Irish version of it.
I.have to say soda bread makes the best fried bread ever, if you havent tried it i heartily recommend it (whilst my heart can heartily do anything lol)

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Just had sunday mothers day lunch at my folks (mom, being jewish wouldnt let anyone cook obviously) Mediterranian chicken, roast spuds and cauliflower followed by home made tiramisu all washed down with a nice 2014 Chateauneuf du Pape

20210227_131049.png

Last edited:

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I wonder what made them Irish rather than English?
When me and my brothers used to visit Kilkenny our aunt Kitty made us a full breakfast before a day on the town. Sausages, Eggs, Rashers, black and white puddings, tomatoes, beans and mushrooms and soda bread aplenty pulled fresh from the oven. All washed down with mugs of hot strong tea. I’m sure she was trying to leave as little room as possible for the Guinness and protect us from ourselves. Marvellous Lady and still going strong in her eighties.

ChasFink

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Cabbage, carrots, and potatoes with pork chops, not corned beef as many Americans think is popular in Ireland.

Coastaljames

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Berry tea.

Couple of satsumas.

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
I had chocolate cake yesterday. I think my mistake may have been eating it before I went to work, because I had the most CRACKING headache all shift, and woke up this morning with it still hanging around (the headache, not the cake). I already can't drink alcohol because of the awful migraines it brings on, or eat dark chocolate, but this was a Charlie the Caterpillar cake - the most innocuous form of cake known to man! I still, at lunchtime, feel a bit headachey. I may have to consign his hindquarters to the bin.

Dick Turpin

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Mrs DT cooked up a chicken stir fry last night.

With fresh noodles, beansprouts, soy sauce and black bean sauce.

All cooked up in the wok she asked for at Christmas - It was delicious.

All those years of spending a fortune on Chinese take-a-ways, and she can knock that up in 10 minutes flat…..why didn’t we attempt to cook it sooner.

Goodbye forever the golden dragon, I shall never again have to put with your slow service, cold BBQ ribs and rude delivery man. :)

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Mrs DT cooked up a chicken stir fry last night.

With fresh noodles, beansprouts, soy sauce and black bean sauce.

All cooked up in the wok she asked for at Christmas - It was delicious.

All those years of spending a fortune on Chinese take-a-ways, and she can knock that up in 10 minutes flat…..why didn’t we attempt to cook it sooner.

Goodbye forever the golden dragon, I shall never again have to put with your slow service, cold BBQ ribs and rude delivery man. :)

Your missis is a GENIUS. She knew EXACTLY what gift to ask for and how to deploy it.

Black bean sauce, mmmm.

Dick Turpin

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Yes, that joke that was sort of.........special.!!!

Anyway back to work for me.

Chow.

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Reaction score
We have just demolished an eat-by-today carrot and walnut cake.

I think the last time either of us had cake was Mr Frideswide's birthday in February.