What Are You Eating & Drinking?

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
We have just demolished an eat-by-today carrot and walnut cake.

I think the last time either of us had cake was Mr Frideswide's birthday in February.
Every week when i go to my folks for lunch/dinner mum gives me a home made cake, shes a bakeoholic, she does make exceedingly better cakes than mr kipling :)

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Made myself a cheese and onion omelette. Unfortunately I forgot to put the cheese in so had to try grating it on top as the eggs fried. I can confirm this is not a good way to make a cheese and onion omelette.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Made myself a cheese and onion omelette. Unfortunately I forgot to put the cheese in so had to try grating it on top as the eggs fried. I can confirm this is not a good way to make a cheese and onion omelette.
You could have grated it on top and grilled it.

An ex used to make omelettes with just the egg yolks and whip up the whites and spread them on top, then grill the lot so it was like a savoury meringue. Delicious.

Tell you what were nice, those Spanish omelettes from Yan's with the chips and thick gravy. Yum.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
You could have grated it on top and grilled it.

An ex used to make omelettes with just the egg yolks and whip up the whites and spread them on top, then grill the lot so it was like a savoury meringue. Delicious.

Tell you what were nice, those Spanish omelettes from Yan's with the chips and thick gravy. Yum.
I could have grilled it, but I'm not that experienced a chef! Also, my toast was ready.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Was i imagining it or did they used to be little chips of potato like matchsticks rather than the puffy things they are now?
The usual American labels are "shoestring potato" or "potato sticks."

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Chipsticks! The salt and vinegar flavour could take the roof off your mouth in seconds.
You could arrange about 10 of them to protrude from under your top lip pointing downwards like a row of monstrous teeth.
Took a while but generally considered a good effect.

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Reaction score
On a whim I recently bought a big bag of garlic powder. Loads of the stuff. It'll 'ave to go in EVERYTHING.
splash it on all over?

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
Morrison's Fruit Jellies (confectionery, not on a plate)

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Made a smoothie for tea. It was half a litre of soya milk, one pack of fresh blackberries and two soggy bananas.

Drink the lot right away, delicious. Wish I'd taken a photo though as it was really deep purple colour. Looked surreal.

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Made a smoothie for tea. It was half a litre of soya milk, one pack of fresh blackberries and two soggy bananas.

Drink the lot right away, delicious. Wish I'd taken a photo though as it was really deep purple colour. Looked surreal.
No garlic powder? :p

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
I have a burrito. I have never eaten a burrito before. It's a frozen one, from the supermarket. I'm going to try it next week. Hope it's not too spicy. Wish me luck.

Stormkhan

Disturbingly familiar
Reaction score
Tonight I'm cooking Tuscan belly pork strips, steamed vegetables, and rice.

Stormkhan

Disturbingly familiar
Reaction score
This evening I'm departing from the exotic. Though I'm doing spicy potato wedges, I'm making a steak and mushroom pie with an ale (Wold Top) gravy, along with cabbage and peas.

As an aside ...

Long ago, decades I mean, I was boiling potatoes and shoved white cabbage into the same water to cook. The two veg came out tasting horribly. My GF at the time said that this happened thanks to some kinda chemistry between the two. I've never done it since.
But I've started wondering ...
Is there some sound reason why you can't boil potatoes and cabbage in the same water, at the same time? Does it actually change the chemistry and make 'em taste yuk, or was it just that one time?