What Are You Eating & Drinking?

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Is there some sound reason why you can't boil potatoes and cabbage in the same water, at the same time? Does it actually change the chemistry and make 'em taste yuk, or was it just that one time?

Dunno, but I often steam different vegetables in two layers of the steamer pan and they come out OK.

However, when I make leek and potato soup I've found that it must be cooked for the minimum time possible or it tastes bitter. The soup machine is good for doing this as I can't overcook it.

Stormkhan

Disturbingly familiar
Reaction score
Thanks. Using a segmented steamer pan is different but you saying the minimum time or it becomes bitter might be the issue.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
This evening I'm departing from the exotic. Though I'm doing spicy potato wedges, I'm making a steak and mushroom pie with an ale (Wold Top) gravy, along with cabbage and peas.

As an aside ...

Long ago, decades I mean, I was boiling potatoes and shoved white cabbage into the same water to cook. The two veg came out tasting horribly. My GF at the time said that this happened thanks to some kinda chemistry between the two. I've never done it since.
But I've started wondering ...
Is there some sound reason why you can't boil potatoes and cabbage in the same water, at the same time? Does it actually change the chemistry and make 'em taste yuk, or was it just that one time?
Cabbage, innit? It's poisonous.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Made four veggie lasagnes. Was forced to eat two. I didn't want to but they commanded me.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Cheddar Cheese Flavoured Pretzel Snacks.

I previously tried the garlic butter one and they made me feel physically sick (despite loving garlic), but these are pretty tasty.

Stormkhan

Disturbingly familiar
Reaction score
Tonight I shall be making Hiroshima-style okonomiyaki for me 'n' t'missus.

Cochise

Priest of the cult of the Dog with the Broken Paw
Reaction score
Last night's marmalade was Morrisons' Thick Cut, which is very good. I also like ginger marmalade . Roses Lime marmalade on toast is indeed excellent :)

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Last night's marmalade was Morrisons' Thick Cut, which is very good. I also like ginger marmalade . Roses Lime marmalade on toast is indeed excellent :)
Im not a fan of ginger as a whole, but robertsons ginger marmalade was good, havent had it for years, do they still make it?

Cochise

Priest of the cult of the Dog with the Broken Paw
Reaction score
Im not a fan of ginger as a whole, but robertsons ginger marmalade was good, havent had it for years, do they still make it?
Hmm. did a search, no-one appears to make anything called ginger marmalade any more - it's all called ginger preserve or ginger jam. Perhaps some bureaucrat has decided it can't be called marmalade? There is orange and ginger marmalade.

I've been buying Duerr's ginger jam recently and wondered slightly at it being called jam instead of marmalade. It doesn't seem any different.

Stormkhan

Disturbingly familiar
Reaction score
I've been buying Duerr's ginger jam recently and wondered slightly at it being called jam instead of marmalade. It doesn't seem any different.
I suppose it's part of the label clarity-thing.
Jam is made from whole or cut up pieces of fruit with sugar. Jelly is made from only the fruit juice and sugar. Marmalades are preserves made with citrus—using the whole fruit, along with the rind.

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I suppose it's part of the label clarity-thing.
Jam is made from whole or cut up pieces of fruit with sugar. Jelly is made from only the fruit juice and sugar. Marmalades are preserves made with citrus—using the whole fruit, along with the rind.
When i was in Peru, home of marmalade loving Paddington, all jam was called marmalade.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
This morning I made a big smoothie with two bananas, four satsumas, some chia seeds and a litre of barista soya milk. Yum.

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Drinking this Bacardi 'carta negra' mom bought me as payment, never been a fan of Bacardi white rum, but im pleseantly suprised, this is a flavourful , sweet, demarera flavoured rum, very moreish :D

20210327_010106.png

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
Rum has usually disappointed me. I think I learned it, in childhood, from the key-flavours of the chocolate box, along with coffee, which never matched the drink I already knew.

Or, there were rum-babas, those laced, illicit treats from the confectioners. We got those, once or twice, when times were good, with angelica when that was still something to boast about, on top.

Rum, thereafter, was a bit of a let-down. Bacardi became a thing, which eliminated everything rummy about rum.

Then a friend brought back a big plastic bottle of duty-free rum of dubious provenance.

Suddenly, in the glass, there was the essence of rum, as I had always imagined it!

Now, I could relive that childhood experience - and spit it out*!

*Stop that Savile joke, NOW, before it even forms on your lips!

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
1616875866377.jpeg

Mrs T63 bought this which we tried this evening. Bit sweet so one was enough for me before going back to Peroni.