What Are You Eating & Drinking?

Coastaljames

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I just ate a nice salad. Made by me. Nothing fancy. Peppers, carrots, cucumber, tomatoes, oilives, mackerel. Some dressing.

Then two apples.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Made Techy what my kids called a Granddad Dinner yesterday - liver, onions and bacon in gravy with onion mash, carrots, peas and cabbage.

(We lost the ancient and much-beloved cat Bagpuss last month. I miss her.

As I'd cook meat for Techy I'd slip Bagpuss sone choice cuts so she always had the best before it ever got near him!)

Ogdred Weary

Drag Queen of Dragons
Reaction score
Made Techy what my kids called a Granddad Dinner yesterday - liver, onions and bacon in gravy with onion mash, carrots, peas and cabbage.

(We lost the ancient and much-beloved cat Bagpuss last month. I miss her.

As I'd cook meat for Techy I'd slip Bagpuss sone choice cuts so she always had the best before it ever got near him!)

Is onion mash, potato mash with onions? Sorry to hear about Bagpuss.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Is onion mash, potato mash with onions? Sorry to hear about Bagpuss.

Aww, thank you, ol' Bagpuss was a character! She was over 20.
She'd had a very bad home at one point so I was happy to spoil her rotten for her last 7 years or so .

Yup, the onion mash is indeed just potato cooked with chopped onion. I love it. Well, I love eating potatoes cooked in any way at all.

You can of course also add grated cheese with mustard or chives and an' all sorts.

I was recently given a short-handled masher which is a wonder to behold. Like a sort of tuber-specific knuckleduster. Works a treat!

I used to be married to that.

Ogdred Weary

Drag Queen of Dragons
Reaction score
She'd had a very bad home at one point so I was happy to spoil her rotten for her last 7 years or so .

Yup, the onion mash is indeed just potato cooked with chopped onion. I love it. Well, I love eating potatoes cooked in any way at all.

You can of course also add grated cheese with mustard or chives and an' all sorts.

I was recently given a short-handled masher which is a wonder to behold. Like a sort of tuber-specific knuckleduster. Works a treat!

You have more ex-husbands than Eliazabeth Taylor and the Wife of Bath.

So, do you boil the onions with the spuds or fry/roast them and add them to the already mashed potatoes? I've done the latter, not the former.

Souleater

I'm not a cat
Reaction score

I like to add mustard, cheese and spring onions to mash :dinner:

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
You have more ex-husbands than Eliazabeth Taylor and the Wife of Bath.

So, do you boil the onions with the spuds or fry/roast them and add them to the already mashed potatoes? I've done the latter, not the former.
Not only have I had more ex-husbands than Elizabeth Taylor and the Wife of Bath (combined) I have also tried every feasible combination of onions/mash. Yesterday I chopped the onion finely and boiled it with the tatties.

Last time, I did the same but steamed it all instead and the onions went purple!

I snap up packs of pre-chopped onions from the supermarket cheapo section because they can go straight in with the spuds and will freeze until I need them.

All this wisdom! :chuckle:

Ogdred Weary

Drag Queen of Dragons
Reaction score
Not only have I had more ex-husbands than Elizabeth Taylor and the Wife of Bath (combined) I have also tried every feasible combination of onions/mash. Yesterday I chopped the onion finely and boiled it with the tatties.

Last time, I did the same but steamed it all instead and the onions went purple!

I snap up packs of pre-chopped onions from the supermarket cheapo section because they can go straight in with the spuds and will freeze until I need them.

All this wisdom! :chuckle:

How many of your ex-spouses ended up in the mash?