• Server Outage Announcement

Hello, Everyone.
    We will be installing an update to XenForo (the forums software), and doing some server maintenance.
    Consequently, the forums will be unavailable from about 12 - 2 MDT / 2 - 4 EDT / 6 - 8 GMT on Sunday 9th May 2021.

What Are You Eating & Drinking?

Victory

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Mushy Peas are somthing I regard as what Northerners eat with Fish n Chips.
Except that you can get them here in London, and they are not bad at all if eaten as a small portion with Fish n Chips, as shown above by @hunck
You can dip the chips in them.
They usually have a bit of mint mixed in with them, giving them quite a sharp taste.

During the panic buying a year ago, they were one of the few cans of food that were left on the shelves.
They are cheap, roughly 50 US cents per can.

charliebrown

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
During the covid grocery rush one could not find peanut butter, until the last few months.

Nutella was always left behind on the shelf.

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Your mum is clearly a very talented baker! I'll bet those cakes taste as good as they look.
She makes great tasting cskes, although i very rarely get to taste her commissions as they are for other people :(

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
McDonald's in the US is okay but mediocre. However I believe that for some reason American fast food is better in other countries. I ate at a Wendy's - one of my favorites - in Switzerland and it was amazingly superior to the American version.
Wendy's used to be here in the UK, but for some reason they pulled out.
One of the best burger brands I've tried.
Glad to hear that they might be coming back to the UK this year.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
I used to eat that when I was at Uni; Saver menu fries and double cheese; £2.56 Where else are you going to find a decent meal that cheap?
Another great thing about McD is that they charge the same for a meal whether they're in an rip-off attraction park like Chessington's or in the high Street.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
Mushy peas are very good - one of the very best convenience foods in a can, IMO! They do contain blue food-colouring to keep them green - otherwise they are yellow.

Available for as little as 17p. for a small tin, they can be regarded as the perfect condensed soup. Add two cans of water, soy or Polish soup seasoning, a dash of rose water, your favourite chili sauce to taste. Boil vigorously, until the fluid clouds. Perfect for a winter lunch with bread and cheese. Worcester Sauce is also delightful but makes the colour even worse; this dish is not much of a looker, I admit.

Its positioning as a chip-shop food is relatively recent, I think. Reconstituted peas were a mainstay of the Victorian larder and enjoyed by all classes without embarrassment. My grandmother seemed to prefer them to "garden peas" - much as she preferred mutton to lamb.

She just might have been onto something, though mushy peas bear little resemblance to petits pois, fresh from the pod! :dinner:

Last edited:

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Mushy peas are very good - one of the very best convenience foods in a can, IMO! They do contain blue food-colouring to keep them green - otherwise they are yellow.

Available for as little as 17p. for a small tin, they can be regarded as the perfect condensed soup. Add two cans of water, soy or Polish soup seasoning, a dash of rose water, your favourite chili sauce to taste. Boil vigorously, until the fluid clouds. Perfect for a winter lunch with bread and cheese. Worcester Sauce is also delightful but makes the colour even worse; this dish is not much of a looker, I admit.

Its positioning as a chip-shop food is relatively recent, I think. Reconstituted peas were a mainstay of the Victorian larder and enjoyed by all classes without embarrassment. My grandmother seemed to prefer them to "garden peas" - much as she preferred mutton to lamb.

She just might have been onto something, though mushy peas bear little resemblance to petits pois, fresh from the pod! :dinner:
Do you have a preferred brand? Batchelors have been mentioned.

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Just having a bottle of 'Tutts Clump' rhubarb cider, it a bit on the sharp side, cant decide whether i like it or not

20210419_153014.png

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
Do you have a preferred brand? Batchelors have been mentioned.
I tend to pick them up three or four tins at a time, wherever I am doing a store-cupboard replenishment, so that's Lidl or Aldi, probably.

The degree of colouring varies quite a bit but the flavour doesn't. I did once pick up a couple of cans of Marrowfat peas, by mistake. They used to have the reputation of being "bullet-peas" - also encountered in cheap vegetable soups. I prefer them Mushy! :eek:

charliebrown

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
In the U.S. Walkers Shortbread Cookies are found in most groceries.

I tasted one, and I do not think they are sweet enough.

In general I prefer cookies over pie or cake.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
In the U.S. Walkers Shortbread Cookies are found in most groceries.

I tasted one, and I do not think they are sweet enough.

In general I prefer cookies over pie or cake.
Sprinkle on some more sugar?
Walkers pretty much defined shortbread.

Coastaljames

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Nuts.

Two carrots.

Black tea.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Mushroom filled tortellini with burnt butter & sage, toasted pine nuts & a shaving of parmesan.

Coastaljames

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Two oranges.

Nuts.

A carrot.

(Pushing the boat out today ;) )

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
A pea soup is called `London Particular`, yes, historically a cheap dish for the poor.

Of course you could use it to make pea and ham soup

Or the Australian dish `Pie Floater` (If you are rich enough for a pie)

Marrowfat peas are different, and so are the garden ones. I prefer the garden ones because I'm posh.

In south Wales the chippies serve up Faggots and mushy peas and chips.

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Yes, well, hes a doughnut guzzling smuck; no taste for good food.

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Just put a half leg of lamb in the slow cooker with some red wine and lamb stock. Will be ready in 8 hours, giving us time to do all the days activities, dog walking, allotment, beer drinking. “Slam in the Lamb”

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Just put a half leg of lamb in the slow cooker with some red wine and lamb stock. Will be ready in 8 hours, giving us time to do all the days activities, dog walking, allotment, beer drinking. “Slam in the Lamb”
I like the idea of allotment beer drinking, reminds me of Robert Rankins 'Jim Pooley and John O'Malley' in his 'Brentford trilogy'. :D