What Are You Eating & Drinking?

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
For breakfast, one shall be having 3 large free range boiled eggs, with lightly buttered toast. :dinner:

IMG_20210425_073001~3_resize_6.jpg

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
I've just had a bowl of two sachets of golden syrup flavoured instant porridge, made with water, not milk and a cup of coffee. That will keep me running until I get dinner tonight at around 10.30. I tread a very fine line between not eating everything in the house and disordered eating, because of the shifts, so I have to be a bit careful.

Dick Turpin

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Mushy Peas are somthing I regard as what Northerners eat with Fish n Chips.
Except that you can get them here in London, and they are not bad at all if eaten as a small portion with Fish n Chips, as shown above by @hunck
You can dip the chips in them.
They usually have a bit of mint mixed in with them, giving them quite a sharp taste.

During the panic buying a year ago, they were one of the few cans of food that were left on the shelves.
They are cheap, roughly 50 US cents per can.

Ah mushy peas Vic.

I quite like them to be honest, however my sister in law (who is a northerner) will simply not eat Fish n Chips unless there is mushy peas on the plate.

My local chippie doesn’t sell them, and whenever my brother and his family visit us and I treat them to Fish n Chips, I have to buy a tin from the local coop and warm them up on the hob for her.

I remember once seeing a news item clip during the 2015 (I think) general election, where on the campaign trail and trying to appear as “ordinary” as possible, Peter Mandelson walked into a Fish n Chip shop and asked for Fish, Chips and some of that lovely guacamole on the side - he was pointing to a large pot of mushy peas. :D

Coastaljames

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
An apple.

A carrot.

Dry muesli (sugar-free).

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Homemade dal and (shop-bought) paratha for breakfast. I'm trying to vary my breakfasts, so this week I've had porridge; cold meats; cold meats, egg and cheese; bagels; cereal...

Souleater

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
Homemade dal and (shop-bought) paratha for breakfast. I'm trying to vary my breakfasts, so this week I've had porridge; cold meats; cold meats, egg and cheese; bagels; cereal...
Teminds me of the standard breakfast at every hostel in Amsterdam ive ever stayed at - 2 pieces of sliced white bread, a slice of ham, a slice of gouda and a hard boiled egg. :p

Coastaljames

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Alternatively, if you are me - the very pinnacle of hilarity and maturity - "fart, fart, fart on the authobahn."

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
Bratwurst, sauerkraut (plenty of cooking bacon), mashed potatoes and onion gravy - followed by tinned peaches and soft scoop ice cream.
Because my bowels have been naughty and need to be punished.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
For breakfast, one shall be having 3 large free range boiled eggs, with lightly buttered toast. :dinner:

View attachment 38515
I love eggs - nearly as much as peanut butter - though rarely boiled; poached, fried, scrambled are all things of wonder, and I'm fond of omelette too. And today I had an egg mayonnaise and bacon sandwich for lunch (homemade, not the bacon...). I love staying in posh hotels that have a dedicated egg chef at breakfast for a perfect poached egg rather than the rubbery-buffet fried egg.

Like the toast rack too! Buttered toast is nearly as wonderful as eggs. Low-fat spreads are the devil's food; it has to be full-fat butter, which is also healthier, and more natural, than low-fat spreads, which are full of non-good stuff. And Dr John Briffa agrees, so who am I to argue?!

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2002/oct/13/shopping.foodanddrink

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
I love eggs - nearly as much as peanut butter - though rarely boiled; poached, fried, scrambled are all things of wonder, and I'm fond of omelette too. And today I had an egg mayonnaise and bacon sandwich for lunch (homemade, not the bacon...). I love staying in posh hotels that have a dedicated egg chef at breakfast for a perfect poached egg rather than the rubbery-buffet fried egg.

Like the toast rack too! Buttered toast is nearly as wonderful as eggs. Low-fat spreads are the devil's food; it has to be full-fat butter, which is also healthier, and more natural, than low-fat spreads, which are full of non-good stuff. And Dr John Briffa agrees, so who am I to argue?!

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2002/oct/13/shopping.foodanddrink
For the perfect poached egg, here's a good life hack: .. get a tea cup and line the inside of it with cling film so there's extra cling film sticking out of the top. Rub a little oil on the cling film. Crack your egg into the cup. Tie the top of the cling film so it because a water tight egg parcel. Drop that in the boiling water for a couple of minutes. Remove it from the water, unwrap it and eat that bad boy. No washing up the pan either.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
For the perfect poached egg, here's a good life hack: .. get a tea cup and line the inside of it with cling film so there's extra cling film sticking out of the top. Rub a little oil on the cling film. Crack your egg into the cup. Tie the top of the cling film so it because a water tight egg parcel. Drop that in the boiling water for a couple of minutes. Remove it from the water, unwrap it and eat that bad boy. No washing up the pan either.
I might give that a punt. I usually do a three-minute low boil/simmer, unless the eggs are large in which case I add a few seconds. Thick slab of toast, butter, sometimes hollandaise sauce (not homemade) and bacon for the eggs Benedict experience.

Swifty

Reaction score
I might give that a punt. I usually do a three-minute low boil/simmer, unless the eggs are large in which case I add a few seconds. Thick slab of toast, butter, sometimes hollandaise sauce (not homemade) and bacon for the eggs Benedict experience.
Give it a go now. You'll be converted :) (when you get your timing right of course)

Swifty

Reaction score
This evening I've had two McDonalds cheeseburgers .. I gave up on Big Macs in the mid 90's partly because of the overbite situation when you eat one so I'd be turning one upside down for the second bite then the right way up for the third bite etc etc .. and partly because the lettuce makes the ingredients slide around so you're constantly re building them as you eat them which is a bit irritating. The best 'two McD cheese burgers Vs buying one BigMac' argument though IMO is that a Big Mac costs £4.19 but two cheese burgers only cost £1.98 .. you don't get lettuce or special sauce with two cheese burgers but I'm not that bothered about that because you get all the other ingredients that come with a Big Mac. You also get 4 bread buns with 2 cheese burgers instead of the 3 buns a BigMac provides. So when you spend £4.19 on a BigMac?, you're paying an extra £2 just for a squirt of sauce and a few grams of lettuce .. and the customer survey recognised name 'BigMac'.

Souleater

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
This evening I've had two McDonalds cheeseburgers .. I gave up on Big Macs in the mid 90's partly because of the overbite situation when you eat one so I'd be turning one upside down for the second bite then the right way up for the third bite etc etc .. and partly because the lettuce makes the ingredients slide around so you're constantly re building them as you eat them which is a bit irritating. The best 'two McD cheese burgers Vs buying one BigMac' argument though IMO is that a Big Mac costs £4.19 but two cheese burgers only cost £1.98 .. you don't get lettuce or special sauce with two cheese burgers but I'm not that bothered about that because you get all the other ingredients that come with a Big Mac. You also get 4 bread buns with 2 cheese burgers instead of the 3 buns a BigMac provides. So when you spend £4.19 on a BigMac?, you're paying an extra £2 just for a squirt of sauce and a few grams of lettuce .. and the customer survey recognised name 'BigMac'.
The spevial sauce is just burger sauce you can pick up in most supermarkets these days, and bigmacs come with dill pickles, i hate dill pickles, i always used to go for four 99p chicken sandwiches.

Swifty

Reaction score
The special sauce is just burger sauce you can pick up in most supermarkets these days, and bigmacs come with dill pickles, i hate dill pickles, i always used to go for four 99p chicken sandwiches.
If dill pickles are gherkins, I love dill pickles sometimes but in moderation. What was that film (I think it might have been Wayne's World 2?) when the kids were chucking gherkins against the inside glass in a fast food restaurant as a derby contest to see which one would win by sliding to the bottom first? :) ... that's the sort of customers I get sometimes (skaters and surfers) but not often enough at the moment. We've got a bottle of that imitation sauce in my fridge at home but it's not exactly the same.

Swifty

Reaction score
Sometimes but not often I'll pop into Subway instead of Maccy D's for a BMT 6" .. none of the staff have ever been able to tell me why this sandwich (which base consists of pepperoni, salami and ham) is called a BMT. I've always just assumed it was just a spin on the BLT bacon, lettuce and tomato label so I've just looked it up:

"Brooklyn-Manhattan Transit Corporation was one of the three subway operating companies in New York City before the city took them over in the 1940s. The Subway sandwich chain uses the New York City subway theme in its marketing and menus."

So who the **** was the real Mac Donald?

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
So who the **** was the real Mac Donald?

The McDonalds were the family who founded the company over 80 years ago, innovated to make it a fast food service, added franchising as a business strategy, and eventually sold out to others who would turn the company into the global fast food empire we know today.

The McDonald family moved from Manchester, New Hampshire to Hollywood, California in the late 1930s, where brothers Richard and Maurice McDonald ("Dick" and "Mac") began working as set movers and handymen at Motion-Picture studios. In 1937, their father Patrick McDonald opened "The Airdrome", a food stand, on Huntington Drive (Route 66) near the Monrovia Airport in the Los Angeles County city of Monrovia, California with hot dogs being one of the first items sold. Hamburgers were later added to the menu at a cost of ten cents with all-you-can-drink orange juice at five cents. In 1940, Maurice and Richard moved the entire building 40 miles (64 km) east, to West 14th and 1398 North E Streets in San Bernardino, California. The restaurant was renamed "McDonald's Bar-B-Que" and had 25 menu items, mostly barbecue.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_McDonald's