What Are You Eating & Drinking?

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
How did you fell afterwards :p
Oh I wasn't foolish enough to actually try it. And there were limitations on both bladder and wallet.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Finished a bar of Old Jamaica that I bought yesterday from Iceland for £1.00. Many many year since my last one, nice but looks and tastes .. sanitised in some undefined way.

View attachment 39411 View attachment 39412
I much preferred the old packaging! They've probably removed sugar, flavouring and any traces of rum that were in the original.

Coastaljames

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
2 oranges.

2 apples.

Dry muesli.

Fresh ginger tea.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Pretend chicken nugget things made of some soya/rubber concoction*, creamed mash, fried eggs, tinned peas, ketchup.

*In breadcrumbs, roasted in the oven. They were very nice. I'm a fan of anything I can lob cheap tomato on.

Trevp666

Reaction score
For the first time in years I bough a small tub of 'Philadelphia Cream Cheese' (this stuff)

And some crackers to eat it on (I'm not a monster).
Anyways.......it is nowhere near as sharp tasting as I remember it. In fact it pretty much has no discernible flavour whatsoever - I could be eating cold, white, putty for all i know!
I swear it has been (as discussed previously) 'reformulated' with a massive reduction of the amount of salt in it which is what used to actually give it any flavour.
I wouldn't be surprised if the stated '0.75g salt per 100g' used to be more like 3g per 100g.

Souleater

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
For the first time in years I bough a small tub of 'Philadelphia Cream Cheese' (this stuff)

Anyways.......it is nowhere near as sharp tasting as I remember it. In fact it pretty much has no discernible flavour whatsoever - I could be eating cold, white, putty for all i know!
I swear it has been (as discussed previously) 'reformulated' with a massive reduction of the amount of salt in it which is what used to actually give it any flavour.
I wouldn't be surprised if the stated '0.75g salt per 100g' used to be more like 3g per 100g.
It is nice on a toasted bagel :p

Trevp666

Reaction score
But bagels are like eating cardboard doughnuts!

Souleater

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
But bagels are like eating cardboard doughnuts!
Toasted with philidelphia and crispy bacon

fa203ed5c695f2e87c5cb0888ae98f56.jpg

Vardoger

I'm #1 so why try harder
Reaction score
Hot chicken flavored Ramen.

It almost knocked me out. I think I''ll remember not to mix in so much hot sauce next time.
Thankfully I knew about a way to cool the tongue, by using milk.

1621436803622.png

Trevp666

Reaction score

I emailed the manufacturer, Mondelez International, to ask them if the recipe had changed.
After a couple of emails back and forward, with them sending copy & paste replies ((during which they said they couldn't disclose their 'secret recipe', and I then pointed out that not only was I not asking what the recipe was (just whether it had changed), but that by law in the UK they must print on the packet all of the ingredients, greatest first, anyway, so it's not a 'secret recipe')), I eventually got a lovely personal reply from 'Maria' in their Consumer Department.
She tells me that "The recipe on Full Fat Original hasn’t changed in the last 5 years." - so that infers that it HAS changed previously, so I guess I'm correct in thinking that it does indeed taste different.

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Good folks, I have a crisis.

I am no longer enjoying Kenco Smooth coffee - it's just too bitter - and struggling to find a replacement.

Gold Blend isn't much better and I've resorted to Maxwell House cappuccino sachets!

Yes, it's that bad...

Any suggestions for a quality, smooth coffee, without the bitterness?

Money no object - this is serious!

Souleater

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
Good folks, I have a crisis.

I am no longer enjoying Kenco Smooth coffee - it's just too bitter - and struggling to find a replacement.

Gold Blend isn't much better and I've resorted to Maxwell House cappuccino sachets!

Yes, it's that bad...

Money no object - this is serious!
Im a big fan of kenco smooth, but you could try 'Douwe Egberts pure smooth'

51v8w2xGkOL._AC_SY580_.jpg

Trevp666

Reaction score
No. I have tried many 'instant' coffees over time.
'Cap Columbie' was my fave for a long time - A nice robust, nutty, strong flavour.
Then I went over to 'Blend 37' which was similar but a bit more 'rounded'.
Then I tried the 'Cafe Espresso' which was proper tasty but IMO too costly.
Finally I have settled on Nescafe Azera Americano. A good, full-bodied coffee with added ground coffee included.
But they usually want a fiver a tin so you have to watch for when it goes onto special offer at £3 a pop, or buy it in a multipack online.
It always makes a decent cup of coffee, which I occasionally whiten with 'evaporated milk' instead of regular 'blue top'.
Mmmmmmm.

Sid

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
No. I have tried many 'instant' coffees over time.
'Cap Columbie' was my fave for a long time - A nice robust, nutty, strong flavour.
Then I went over to 'Blend 37' which was similar but a bit more 'rounded'.
Then I tried the 'Cafe Espresso' which was proper tasty but IMO too costly.
Finally I have settled on Nescafe Azera Americano. A good, full-bodied coffee with added ground coffee included.
But they usually want a fiver a tin so you have to watch for when it goes onto special offer at £3 a pop, or buy it in a multipack online.
It always makes a decent cup of coffee, which I occasionally whiten with 'evaporated milk' instead of regular 'blue top'.
Mmmmmmm.
I would recommend... 'ALCAFE, 4 Italian Blend from ALDI - 100% Arabica Ground Coffee. close to £3.00 for 227g.

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Im a big fan of kenco smooth, but you could try 'Douwe Egberts pure smooth'

View attachment 397898
I have the Douwe Egberts No.4 at home. I used to have the No.3 but have found it no longer has the depth I need. Probably an age thing!
There is also Douwe Egberts Decaff in the cupboard, bought following advice from the hospital dietician. I tried it, honestly, I did, but it didn’t quite float my boat.

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Milk, or a smidgen of cold water (I take mine black) before the hot water. Boiling water straight onto the coffee granules makes them bitter.
Mix your granules thoroughly with the milk or cold water before pouring in the hot water.

Souleater

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
Milk, or a smidgen of cold water (I take mine black) before the hot water. Boiling water straight onto the coffee granules makes them bitter.
Mix your granules thoroughly with the milk or cold water before pouring in the hot water.
Never make coffee with boiling water, boil the kettle, leave 5/10 minutes leave the metal spoon in the cup and pour over the granuals

Trevp666

Reaction score
There is also Douwe Egberts Decaff in the cupboard

I bought a decaf version of my regular coffee by accident one time and didn't notice until about 3 days later when I was walking around feeling really, really tired most of the day......
I guess that must be what 'normal people' live like.......

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I bought a decaf version of my regular coffee by accident one time and didn't notice until about 3 days later when I was walking around feeling really, really tired most of the day......
I once did that after a family catastrophe. We all felt so rough anyway, we didn't notice.

Giant R

Fresh Blood
Reaction score
My wife changed to decaf tea without telling me once and after 2-3 days I thought I was coming down with flu...

Trevp666

Reaction score
I wonder if suddenly switching to non-alcoholic lager without realising would give you a 'non-alcoholic hangover'?